OK, so what IS expensive and cheap in Australia?

sykestykes

We've just got back from a week in Melbourne and we were shocked at how expensive EVERYTHING is!

Fuel is about the only exception we found. It's a beautiful place, but be under no illusion how much money you need to live there. We have taken the view that financially we will be worse off, but we are willing to give up some of the material things for a better overall life.

Hit the nail on the head there for me VictoriaP

We are in the middle of our reccie visit to Brisbane & Sydney

We have deliberately stayed away from the tourist traps but are still finding everything very expensive

In the end though, cost of living may be higher; but quality of life is higher again (all except for Coffee Club scones...... wouldnt be in a hurry to go near one of them again !!!!)

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest guest17301
The meat ,Tbone etc is cheap,dont tell me it isnt,coz it is!:notworthy:

....don't forget the lamb!...:cute:

Guest guest30038
....don't forget the lamb!...:cute:

And I've just bought an 8 kilo leg of pork for 31 bucks............and the cracklings all mine I tell ya! :yes:

Guest guest30038
What do you pay for a leg of lamb? Its on offer at Sainsbury's here at the moment, £9 for a 2kg leg.

can get it on special here for 4.99 a kilo...........generally about 8.99 though................but it's real lamb though....not the mutton they sell in the UK :wink:

kev

Guest guest30038
Pork is on special too - £3.34/kg. (Half price).

At regular prices (off the top of my head) I make UK pork about 80% dearer than Oz................my price is for a full leg though, smaller cuts are dearer per kilo.

kev

At regular prices (off the top of my head) I make UK pork about 80% dearer than Oz................my price is for a full leg though, smaller cuts are dearer per kilo.

kev

Yes indeed - the price I quoted was for a ~2kg leg.

The crackling is better here as we feed the pigs any uneaten deep-fried Mars bars on a Sunday morning!:laugh:

Thanks for the info.

Yes indeed - the price I quoted was for a ~2kg leg.

The crackling is better here as we feed the pigs any uneaten deep-fried Mars bars on a Sunday morning!:laugh:

Thanks for the info.

I nearly choked on a pork scratching the other day in the pub:yes:

Guest guest30038
And it's cheap and nasty, I'm sure I could go to the salvo's in Australia and get 2 quality sofa's for less that $100............:wink:

You've tried 'em before then? :wink:

kev

Guest guest30038
Argos or the salvo's?

Salvos.

I'm homesick now Geoffrey............you've reminded me of all those folk pretending to browse through Argos catalogues when it's plssing down outside :biglaugh:

kev

Guest nicolasteve

And it wasnt even a big one!! Cauliflour i mean!!

I personally find shopping more expensive, especially toiletries. Deodrant and ladies personal things are not cheap at all.

Archived