OK, so what IS expensive and cheap in Australia?

sykestykes

Soroya, yes if you own older 'dirtier' cars they are taxed at a higher rate, Fiat 500 1.2 for instance is only 35 quid as it is a modern clean car with low emissions. The problem here is there is absolutely no incentive to drive more economical cleaner cars. You would think that it would make sense to try and get people into hybrids or small eco cars but there is no financial incentive to do it.

Why would they? All they want are big Aussie 8's to hoon around in. Don't think the hoons would get very far in a 1.1 saxo !!

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest honeybee24

I am shocked at this argument i have done a lot of research into this and instead of you looking at things individualy look at it as a whole im sure u will find u are getting a lot more in Oz for your money than u would in england, For starters you would not get a house in england the size of an aussie house,2 bed, 2 bathroon, car port, pool, beautiful views etc for 170,000 british pounds which is lets say roughly 280,000 aussie dollars. I can assure you i saw a gorgeous contempary 2 bed house, 2 bathroom, car port, pool, beautiful views for 269.000 aussie dollars. Fruit and Veg i have not heard being more expensive but if u find it more expensive your in Oz u have the perfect climate to grow your own. I do know bread is more expensive but this is the case every where in the world because the UK is the cheapest place to buy bread, you are seriously saving on lots of things u wouldnt save on in england like petrol i think it works out if u have 30L a week u save £300 a year, So what you are paying what u feel is over the odds u are saving on other things, You are getting more for your money.

And i have to add this England is getting more expensive by the day so anyone thinking of comin back good luck to you xx

Guest littlesarah

I think we should all bear in mind that we should compare 'like with like'. It's all very well to consider the road tax for a Fiat 500, but you have to look at whether you'd be able to afford one of those (not to mention whether it would suit your needs - they're very small, even for 2 adults, camping & surfing gear!).

Same with houses - a bigger house costs more wherever in the world you are!

Guest chris955

I see no argument for being able to get more for your money here, it is in fact very easy to buy a nice 2 bedroom house in the UK for 170,000k. I certainly wouldn't want to live somewhere here that had houses for $280,000, I know those areas and no thanks. It may be different around other cities but not up here and obviously not Sydney.

I'm not sure what you are getting more of ?

You are happy to believe that the UK is getting more expensive by the day but would I be right in assuming you don't think the same to be true here ?

Why would they? All they want are big Aussie 8's to hoon around in. Don't think the hoons would get very far in a 1.1 saxo !!

The big Aussie 8s are not just used to hoon in. They are popular because of the distances that people have to drive. What really bothers me is the number of people who buy great big 4 wheel drives and never leave the suburbs!

Guest chris955

I have never understood the need to have a V8 because you may need to travel a long distance, most people we know don't do huge distances in their normal lives and tend to fly if going interstate.

I have never understood the need to have a V8 because you may need to travel a long distance, most people we know don't do huge distances in their normal lives and tend to fly if going interstate.

But lots of people do cover long distances in this country. Daily driving can be from a few kms to a couple of hundred and more.

You dont need av8 to travel long distances, modern cars (4 and 6 cylinders) easily drive over 200,000 and more miles in their lives. Aussies need v8s so they can accelerate away from lights quickly then sit at exactly the speed limit:laugh:. Its all an ego thing, quite sad really

Guest chris955

Exactly right, in this day and age you definitely do not need a V8 engine to do loads of miles and MOST people don't do loads of miles. A decent 4 cylinder car will do a long trip just as easily as a big dinosaur.

You dont need av8 to travel long distances, modern cars (4 and 6 cylinders) easily drive over 200,000 and more miles in their lives. Aussies need v8s so they can accelerate away from lights quickly then sit at exactly the speed limit:laugh:. Its all an ego thing, quite sad really

That's only your opinion. I would agree that a few yougsters have the ego thing but ego has nothing to do with the majority. V8s are built to withstand constant long distances. I would not like to use my Honda Civic if I was driving long distances most days of the week. One of my sons has a WRX only because he has to drive more than the average bunny.

The big Aussie 8s are not just used to hoon in. They are popular because of the distances that people have to drive. What really bothers me is the number of people who buy great big 4 wheel drives and never leave the suburbs!

Yes, the Sydney "Feck Trucks" get my shackles up no end. You really need the extra traction on those metalled roads around the schools in Sydney!:laugh:

I don't get the V8 thing either. I reckon some hefty fuel taxes would soon sort that one out!

That's only your opinion. I would agree that a few yougsters have the ego thing but ego has nothing to do with the majority. V8s are built to withstand constant long distances. I would not like to use my Honda Civic if I was driving long distances most days of the week. One of my sons has a WRX only because he has to drive more than the average bunny.

V8 are built for torque, the honda civic is one of the most reliable cars ever made but if you want to drive the V8 go for it :wink:

Guest soraya89
I see no argument for being able to get more for your money here, it is in fact very easy to buy a nice 2 bedroom house in the UK for 170,000k. I certainly wouldn't want to live somewhere here that had houses for $280,000, I know those areas and no thanks. It may be different around other cities but not up here and obviously not Sydney.

I'm not sure what you are getting more of ?

You are happy to believe that the UK is getting more expensive by the day but would I be right in assuming you don't think the same to be true here ?

its not easy to find a 2 bed house for 170,000...there are some but ther not easy to find really..

Britain is VERY expensive...ive have always lived here and go on holidays alot, no place is as expensive as here...i can see Oz is cheaper then here by far!!!

Soraya

Ok the original remit set by the OP was

This isn't a UK vs Australia thread, just a way to show how much things do really cost and how to save money on the advice of other members.

its not easy to find a 2 bed house for 170,000...there are some but ther not easy to find really..

Britain is VERY expensive...ive have always lived here and go on holidays alot, no place is as expensive as here...i can see Oz is cheaper then here by far!!!

Soraya

Please name and price something that you think is VERY expensive in the UK and someone can tell you what it costs in Australia. You may be (un)pleasantly surprised. Thank you.:wubclub:

V8 are built for torque, the honda civic is one of the most reliable cars ever made but if you want to drive the V8 go for it :wink:

I agree that the Honda Civic is a great car, wouldn't swap mine, but it does not have the comfort required for driving long distances on a regular basis.

Ok the original remit set by the OP was

Please name and price something that you think is VERY expensive in the UK and someone can tell you what it costs in Australia. You may be (un)pleasantly surprised. Thank you.:wubclub:

Does it really matter? You live in Australia or Uk and pay what is the going rate.

Guest soraya89

im not saying its better in OZ im just saying its expensive here! a sofa costs about £500, a vodka red-bull is abou £5.50/£6.

A small bag of crisps are 69p, chocolate bar is 70p,,, all these used 2 b cheap!

soraya

Guest chris955

Buy Buy one get one free on sofas at Argos.co.uk - (19 products)

Wow, for 199 quid you get a sofa and a free chair or for 399 you get 2 sofas.

Chocolate bar here, normal price maybe $2. Bag of crisps about the same.

I think your statement 'i can see Oz is cheaper then here by far!!!' is most will agree way off the mark. This is the very common misconception I have mentioned before. I'm really not sure where people get that idea.

Does it really matter? You live in Australia or Uk and pay what is the going rate.

It doesn't really matter and, yes, you have to pay what you have to pay to buy an item. But some are simply interested in what is expensive and what is cheaper, that's all. Your mileage may vary.:wubclub:

We've just got back from a week in Melbourne and we were shocked at how expensive EVERYTHING is!

Fuel is about the only exception we found. It's a beautiful place, but be under no illusion how much money you need to live there. We have taken the view that financially we will be worse off, but we are willing to give up some of the material things for a better overall life.

Guest soraya89

YES ok...but i have my opinion..Australia is prob expensive...i dont really care...but britain is very expensive...

:D xx

It doesn't really matter and, yes, you have to pay what you have to pay to buy an item. But some are simply interested in what is expensive and what is cheaper, that's all. Your mileage may vary.:wubclub:

Wish I could understand that concept. I live in Australia and what things cost in other parts of the world has no significance to me. Immigrants might be interested but I think that they should be aware that when Australia went decimal the dollar was the equivalent of 10 shillings not the pound as in UK. Emigration should be based on other factors not just how cheap or expensive things are to buy. It's the life style that matters; will it be better or not for them. They wont know that until they come.

Guest chris955

:laugh:

YES ok...but i have my opinion..Australia is prob expensive...i dont really care...but britain is very expensive...

:D xx

Wish I could understand that concept. I live in Australia and what things cost in other parts of the world has no significance to me. Immigrants might be interested but I think that they should be aware that when Australia went decimal the dollar was the equivalent of 10 shillings not the pound as in UK. Emigration should be based on other factors not just how cheap or expensive things are to buy. It's the life style that matters; will it be better or not for them. They wont know that until they come.

I certainly agree with what you say. But there are other more relevant threads where this point can be made.

Archived