OK, so what IS expensive and cheap in Australia?

sykestykes

Guest Guest31881
And it wasnt even a big one!! Cauliflour i mean!!

I personally find shopping more expensive, especially toiletries. Deodrant and ladies personal things are not cheap at all.

i would never buy veg from woolies, they are way overpriced. We have a fruit/veg barn near us and i find them a lot cheaper.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest chris955

You're just making that up :laugh:

Medium sized cauliflower is 70p from our veggie van, £1.20 from the supermarket.

You're just making that up :laugh:

Which bit?:confused:

This bit

Sainsbury's online groceries

or the veggie van? He sells us good quality produce often at half the price of the local supermarket. The cauliflowers are available when in season (which makes a difference to the price.) We get all our fruit and veg for a week for a family of five for around £24 and it comes to the door with his van. We are very lucky. For 1 month last year he didn't come and our supermarket bill consequently went through the roof.

Guest sunnyday
Salvos.

I'm homesick now Geoffrey............you've reminded me of all those folk pretending to browse through Argos catalogues when it's plssing down outside :biglaugh:

kev

HEY!!! Stop slagging me off:biglaugh:

Guest chris955

It sounds very cheap but I must admit most of the prices on that link seemed cheap as well. How can they sell bananas for 99p when they have to come from the West Indies, ours come from up the road and are 2 or 3 times as much usually.

Guest guest30038
It sounds very cheap but I must admit most of the prices on that link seemed cheap as well. How can they sell bananas for 99p when they have to come from the West Indies,

Loss leaders............they reduce the cheaper items dramatically just to get you into the store. 9 times out of 10, the stuff you buy most of, when loss leaders are promoted, will not be reduced, and may even be slightly inflated that week to make up for the loss on the nannas.........compare how many nannas you buy and how much meat, bread etc,.......when the nannas are down, other essential items, will not be (generally).

kev

Loss leaders............they reduce the cheaper items dramatically just to get you into the store. 9 times out of 10, the stuff you buy most of, when loss leaders are promoted, will not be reduced, and may even be slightly inflated that week to make up for the loss on the nannas.........compare how many nannas you buy and how much meat, bread etc,.......when the nannas are down, other essential items, will not be (generally).

kev

This is common practise that you have to watch out for.

Along with not actually getting the offer at the till because they have not updated the database. This is a hassle but you can work it in your favour if you religiously check your receipt then complain at the customer service desk. I find I have to do this most weeks. I once had to do this 3 weeks in a row on the same offer. On the last week, I ended up speaking to the manager who immediately gave me a £10 voucher. (You think whoppee, then realise that if they can splash out £10 in a whim, they probably made at least that on the weekly shop.:mad:)

The bananas aren't advertised as being on special BTW.:wink:

Guest chris955

No, that seems to be the normal price. When we were in the UK years ago they were 99p and even then with a good exchange rate they were very cheap. The price in Brisbane changes every day.

I can confirm Baby stuff is expensive here and the selection is not really good (IM NOT BEING FUSSY) Not like in the UK where you wouldn't pay VAT on theses Items you do here. Thank god for family and the internet had heaps of stuff sent via Mail so it at least the baby got some good clothes to wear and varities.

I can confirm Baby stuff is expensive here and the selection is not really good (IM NOT BEING FUSSY) Not like in the UK where you wouldn't pay VAT on theses Items you do here. Thank god for family and the internet had heaps of stuff sent via Mail so it at least the baby got some good clothes to wear and varities.

I remember that disposable nappies seemed quite a bit more expensive in Australia than the UK although we didn't shop around on holiday (cos that would be nuts!). We would usually pay about 12p/nappy in the UK.

I remember that disposable nappies seemed quite a bit more expensive in Australia than the UK although we didn't shop around on holiday (cos that would be nuts!). We would usually pay about 12p/nappy in the UK.

The wife wants to use to Cloth nappies and disposables for when you go out and about which seems a great idea until you see the wall chart of 6 different ways to do acloth nappies

The wife wants to use to Cloth nappies and disposables for when you go out and about which seems a great idea until you see the wall chart of 6 different ways to do acloth nappies

Good on her! :notworthy:

Bad luck mate!:err:

Guest littlesarah
Not like in the UK where you wouldn't pay VAT on theses Items you do here.

But at least GST is only 10% (albeit on everything)!

I don't want to get caught up in a debate about which country is better - I love the UK & I love Australia; and none of it is about the cost of living. Things cost what they cost, and if I need more money I'll just have to work more hours.

Is money the best reason to leave one's homeland to live on the other side of the world? Not for me, anyway...

But at least GST is only 10% (albeit on everything)!

I don't want to get caught up in a debate about which country is better - I love the UK & I love Australia; and none of it is about the cost of living. Things cost what they cost, and if I need more money I'll just have to work more hours.

Is money the best reason to leave one's homeland to live on the other side of the world? Not for me, anyway...

I never left the UK for money i left because of where my wife wanting to returm home. I was given the choice after my holiday here on 07/08 i couldnt see my self with out her and being thousands of miles apart and a time difference meaning the little time we spoke on the weekend meant more then my career which i had in London which was the hardest thing i had left behind even through i whinge about missing my job in London i know i choosen the right thing and yea it only 10% i love Oz and the UK but not going to hide how i miss certain things back home :spinny:

I am interested in how much internet access costs. I currently have an 'up to 8MB' connection with a 10GB limit, £11.75 per month. I know it is not the best deal on the UK market but it is a 1 month contract. I would be interested in knowing what it costs in Australia, not becase I am going to base my decision to migrate their on the cost of internet ('cos like onecrankypom, I have an Aussie OH so have no option) but because I am interested and am trying to prepare a monthly budget. Thank you.:wubclub:

I think internet is one of the things that is more expensive here, we pay $60 pr month for ADSL not sure on MB and GB but its one of the big ones making it almost impossible to use up in a month.

You can get package deals to reduce the cost from some companys (mobile,landline,www) the only problem i find is not every company services the area we are in ,meaning you are limited with suppliers.

Cal x

I am interested in how much internet access costs. I currently have an 'up to 8MB' connection with a 10GB limit, £11.75 per month. I know it is not the best deal on the UK market but it is a 1 month contract. I would be interested in knowing what it costs in Australia, not becase I am going to base my decision to migrate their on the cost of internet ('cos like onecrankypom, I have an Aussie OH so have no option) but because I am interested and am trying to prepare a monthly budget. Thank you.:wubclub:

We pay about $70 per month for a telstra package with up to 5GB in downloads - think we get a small ish discount for bundling a mobile & homeline with that - can't remember what the download speed is for that - the most we could afford lol! They're trying to get us to upgrade to a 12GB limit one for free - but they want another 2 year signup for that - still thinking about it as not sure if it's necessary if you don't dowload tons.

Not a patch on the Orange wireless broadband I had in the UK with my mobile contract - for free! It's one of the things that costs more - but can't be without it so we pay the price - no PIO otherwise.:eek:

We pay about $70 per month for a telstra package with up to 5GB in downloads - think we get a small ish discount for bundling a mobile & homeline with that - can't remember what the download speed is for that - the most we could afford lol! They're trying to get us to upgrade to a 12GB limit one for free - but they want another 2 year signup for that - still thinking about it as not sure if it's necessary if you don't dowload tons.

Not a patch on the Orange wireless broadband I had in the UK with my mobile contract - for free! It's one of the things that costs more - but can't be without it so we pay the price - no PIO otherwise.:eek:

Optus with home package $99 per month with 20 gig home phone, all national, calls to mobiles, plus for an extra $5 per month calls to UK for 5cents per minute

I trust telstra like this bloody labor government!

Optus with home package $99 per month with 20 gig home phone, all national, calls to mobiles, plus for an extra $5 per month calls to UK for 5cents per minute

That sounds like a great deal - I know where I'll be checking when our first 24 months is up!:biggrin::biggrin:

:cry:Its not fair im stuck with the 'goverment' as Optus doesnt cover here for internet.

Dont rub it in Kernow,lol

Cal x

:cry:Its not fair im stuck with the 'goverment' as Optus doesnt cover here for internet.

Dont rub it in Kernow,lol

Cal x

In some of the more remote areas, things have not been updated and Telstra still have the monopoly, I wish they would for you and many others.

Archived