OK, so what IS expensive and cheap in Australia?

sykestykes

Guest The Pom Queen

We pay $100 per month (plus $30 line rental) with Telstra (ADSL 20gb allowance), it's stupid because ADSL 2 is cheaper but we can't get it here.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What is cheap? To me a 450 gram of eye fillet steak wrapped in bacon an done on the BBQ, and let to rest for 30 minutes whist I am having a few pints of Guiness.

It is not even lunchtime here yet and you come out with that! Shame on you!:biggrin:

It is not even lunchtime here yet and you come out with that! Shame on you!:biggrin:

It's because I just had it for tea or dinner, whatever you call it. Folk here say Dinner if it is a meal after 5pm, but to me it will always be tea, even if I eat at 8pm!:jiggy:

Guest littlesarah

If we could ADSL I'd be sooo happy! We're just over an hour from Sydney and we can only get mobile internet. It makes me pretty cross, as it's not like we live in remote village, and there are enough people in our suburb to make it worth the expense. The next suburb to us has ADSL, so why Telstra can't pull their finger out to extend their network I really don't understand.

But hey, nothing's ever perfect, and if had nothing to whinge about I'm sure I'd complain!

Guest Rob c
What is cheap? To me a 450 gram of eye fillet steak wrapped in bacon an done on the BBQ, and let to rest for 30 minutes whist I am having a few pints of Guiness.

That sounds great :), next time your putting one on, fire one on for me LOL!! , are you from Cornwall?

If we could ADSL I'd be sooo happy! We're just over an hour from Sydney and we can only get mobile internet. It makes me pretty cross, as it's not like we live in remote village, and there are enough people in our suburb to make it worth the expense. The next suburb to us has ADSL, so why Telstra can't pull their finger out to extend their network I really don't understand.

But hey, nothing's ever perfect, and if had nothing to whinge about I'm sure I'd complain!

I think Telstra will be trying even less in the future to help.

BTW did you originate from Cornwall. or am I getting mixed up with someone else?

We use Internode here. I got more bandwidth down the pipe for my money in England but uploading is better here because you get more bandwidth out. I also like what Internode have to say in respect to Senator Conroy's Internet firewall.

Whirlpool Forums is a good site to read and will give you a good idea on prices plus service in your area.

Changing the subject somewhat, I was pleased to find that the same yoga mat (6mm thick) that would cost me £62.50 in the UK will cost from $55 or $75 upwards depending on what size and thickness (5mm or 6mm) you want here in Australia. I shipped most of my own fitness equipment over so haven't looked at prices on other things over here but my yoga mats have been lost thus I was glad to find that it will cost me less to replace than I anticipated! With that said I found that bags for yoga mats seem to cost about the same.

Guest Rob c

BTW did you originate from Cornwall. or am I getting mixed up with someone else?

Getting mixed up with someone else, i spend a lot of time down there :) , good surf and pasties!!! LOL!!, Beers not bad either!!

Guest Rob c
$280k for a house with a pool and views. I'm in Melbourne, show me!! More like a run down rotting victorian weatherboard in a less than savoury area.

you can always fix it up, if your handy like me:biggrin:

LOL what a can of worms opened - al lot of this boils down to people wanting confirmation by others of their decision to live somewhere . It either feels good or not !

Onto prices though - When i go back to the UK i always think beer is expensive that fast food is expensive but then the internet, mobile phones over here are stupidly expensive and prehistoric in capability.

I guess if you take the fact that you can fit the whole of the UK into QLD then you probably do have a problem over here laying all the cable for internet , putting up extra phone towers, dairy - well most of the time it needs extra effort in oz to refridgerate as the weather is no help :)

Sheer customer numbers helps the UK keep prices down, you think what mobile phone companies could do with an extra 25 million customers using, prices would have to come down but the flip side is do you want an extra 10 million people in sydney or melbourne?? some things are worth paying a little extra for:laugh:

i like that i am not a sardine in an underground train each morning and evening

Guest The Pom Queen
For starters you would not get a house in england the size of an aussie house,2 bed, 2 bathroon, car port, pool, beautiful views etc for 170,000 british pounds which is lets say roughly 280,000 aussie dollars. I can assure you i saw a gorgeous contempary 2 bed house, 2 bathroom, car port, pool, beautiful views for 269.000 aussie dollars.

Hi Honeybee

Please could I ask where this was? It sounds a bargain, even in the suburbs that people don't want to live in around Melbourne the prices are still around $350 upwards.

It does sounds lovely what you found, I bet you were tempted.

Kate:wubclub:

Guest chris955

Well the median Melbourne house price is a tad under $500,000 so any house that was going for $280,000 would be an absolute steal. :wink:

Hi Honeybee

Please could I ask where this was? It sounds a bargain, even in the suburbs that people don't want to live in around Melbourne the prices are still around $350 upwards.

It does sounds lovely what you found, I bet you were tempted.

Kate:wubclub:

Sounds very snobish Kate!!! :yes:

Where are these suburbs that no one wants to live?

Guest littlesarah

No, much as I love the South West, I'm a Midlander by birth and spent a good while in Norfolk (but not long enough to become a 'local', apparently!).

Guest littlesarah

I think we all have to acknowledge the economies of scale that play a part in the cost of goods & services. Combined with the distances that have to be covered in Australia it is inevitable that some things will be relatively expensive over here compared to UK/Europe.

I do feel, though, that Telstra is benefitting from its relative monopoly; but at the same time that it could do more to attract new business by investing in improving its services to people in growing areas.

However, I really don't want to hog this thread; and feel that I have nothing more to contribute on this subject (having said all I could say already).

Apart from - if you want discounted air fares, make a friend who works for an airline! It limits your choice, but the discount may be worth it!!

Guest The Pom Queen
Sounds very snobish Kate!!! :yes:

Where are these suburbs that no one wants to live?

Hi Geoff

Nothing snobbish at all, in Melbourne Metro property prices have gone crazy in the last few years. For example, look at this one in Dandenong with swimming pool offers over $400+ so add on the 10% you are looking at $440k 18 GARSIDE STREET, DANDENONG, 3175 - House for Sale #106425787 - realestate.com.au

Go closer to the city and for a house with a pool you are going to be looking at 1mill upwards.

Well the median Melbourne house price is a tad under $500,000 so any house that was going for $280,000 would be an absolute steal. :wink:

..... or a cackhole, but then there are a lot of places in melbourne that are just that and are still being sold for $500k.... just so they can knock it down completely and rebuild.

Hi Geoff

Nothing snobbish at all, in Melbourne Metro property prices have gone crazy in the last few years. For example, look at this one in Dandenong with swimming pool offers over $400+ so add on the 10% you are looking at $440k 18 GARSIDE STREET, DANDENONG, 3175 - House for Sale #106425787 - realestate.com.au

Go closer to the city and for a house with a pool you are going to be looking at 1mill upwards.

Hi Kate but where are the areas that no one wants to live?

I understand that house prices are going up, but like everything they will hit a point that people can't afford to buy anymore then they will start coming down or levelling out

As for a pool it's only those silly POM's that would want a pool in Melbourne :biglaugh:

Guest chris955

$400k + for THAT :elvis:

Hi Geoff

....Looks like it is made of cardboard...but then most houses here do !

hurricane proof cardboard though...:yes:

hurricane proof cardboard though...:yes:

Are they not being built the same way in the UK now?

I know nothing about building a house but watching new estates being built (UK) they all seem to be using timber frames, bricks and plaster board same as in Australia

Are they not being built the same way in the UK now?

I know nothing about building a house but watching new estates being built (UK) they all seem to be using timber frames, bricks and plaster board same as in Australia

Similar, but here they leave out the bricks !!

Archived