IELTS this week

hellsbells712

Guest china

Hi Helen, he did pass - but his was just for points! and he was lucky only had to do the general, and I really think the teacher thing helps, as they are used to thinking in a structured, exam-y way - or at least they're used to telling the kids how to!

Yes I am pretty sure it was him you were talking to, as when he got back in the car i said " I'm sure that was hellsbells' hehe!

Anyway, now for the skills assessment, it's so hard to just collect all the bl**dy paperwork, harder than any exam either of us have ever done - ;)

Good luck, xxxx

p.s. at least there's plenty oftime for practice! xx

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Helen, he did pass - but his was just for points! and he was lucky only had to do the general, and I really think the teacher thing helps, as they are used to thinking in a structured, exam-y way - or at least they're used to telling the kids how to!

Yes I am pretty sure it was him you were talking to, as when he got back in the car i said " I'm sure that was hellsbells' hehe!

Anyway, now for the skills assessment, it's so hard to just collect all the bl**dy paperwork, harder than any exam either of us have ever done - ;)

Good luck, xxxx

p.s. at least there's plenty oftime for practice! xx

Just got all my skills assessment paperwork together. Just all very time consuming.....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest GMERIN53

Results just in !

Margaret sat the test 2 weeks ago in Edinburgh.

She has been very worried about the writing section and has hardly mentioned it since then.

Good News, 9/9/8/9 Overall 9. Enough to get the points required.

The results will be winging their way to Agent ASAP ! :jiggy:

Good Luck Everyone :spinny:

Guest joireland

Hi Everyone, best of luck with your tests, I want to book one for May in Dublin, I called, and she asked me was it the general one or academic one I need to take , which is it?

many thanks

Results just in !

She has been very worried about the writing section and has hardly mentioned it since then.

Well done and a high score too!

JOHN

Results just in !

What a fantastic mark! Well done - I've got my test on 17/04/10 :arghh:

Sharon

Guest GMERIN53
What a fantastic mark! Well done - I've got my test on 17/04/10 :arghh:

Sharon

Thanks Sharon - I only had to do the general test for my skills assessment as an accountant not the harder academic one. Good luck with your test - which one are you sitting?

Margareticon7.gif

Guest morty

im scared of doing the ILETS need to do the academic one and need to get a score of 7 in each section. Got all the materials so im going to practice hard. Not got it until end of May in Liverpool, so hopefully will be ok. Hopefully emigrating to Melbourne in Sept (ILETS Pending) as a nurse, its all very exciting just wish i had done it 2 years ago before this test was introduced !!

Goodluck Welshgirl !! Did you pass ?

Hi everyone,

I'm sitting the academic IELTS in Glasgow this Saturday. Can someone please reassure me the topics they give you for the writing are not overly complicated.

I'm having nightmares about not knowing enough about the topic. I'm Practicing with the Peter May book and the reading seems a little difficult but not impossible. Has anyone used this book and how is it in comparison to the level of dificulty of the actual test.

Hi everyone,

I'm sitting the academic IELTS in Glasgow this Saturday. Can someone please reassure me the topics they give you for the writing are not overly complicated.

I'm having nightmares about not knowing enough about the topic. I'm Practicing with the Peter May book and the reading seems a little difficult but not impossible. Has anyone used this book and how is it in comparison to the level of dificulty of the actual test.

Hi Elizabeth,

Good luck for Saturday......Sure you will do just fine if you have used the Peter May book. Just stay calm and focus....

Difficult to say about the writing. I got the Peter May book and spent the whole week before practising and did well in the end with the reading section. What I did was write all the tips and hints regarding the types of questions used on sheets of paper and kept these with me at all times and just kept reading them. Got 7 in the end. I found this book brilliant when I actually got the hang of what it was on about.

The writing, well i thought i would pass this no problem so spent no time practising. And what do you practise?????????????????? If anyone else has any tips... Would be much appreciated!!!!!!

You don't have a clue whats going to come up. And sadly only got 6.5 Its difficult to know.

The question I got was "that an airplane flight would cause as much pollution in one flight to that of what a car would produce in 5 years. Should non essential travel such as tourism be reduced in order to cut pollution. Do you agree or disagree??? Discuss"

Quite broad then. If you are good at thinking logically you will be fine.

Wish you all the best and let us know how you get on. I'm resitting on 24th April-Academic IELTS

Big :hug: for Saturday. xx

Have to agree with Hellsbells712, you have no idea on the topic is so its difficult revise. Plan your writing, introduction, main body with your views (the second writing part usually wants your views and experiences) and end with a conclusion. The first part just state what you see, 2 of my tests were on prisons, why do people reoffend?? one i didnt really understand the question (hence last one failed got a 6.5 appealing!!) and other one was on why are we a throw away society.

i struggled on the reading failed twice, then bloomin passed the reading with an 8 and got a 6.5 on the writing, both with good passes before, 8 & 7.5 arrrr.

Good Luck

Lisa

Hi Helen and Lisa,

Thanks for that. I'm getting more worried as it approaches. I've been spending some time looking at the headlines but it's impossible to predict. I've given up now and i'm crossing my fingers that it all clicks. I've probably not spent so much time on the reading so perhaps a bit worried about that, just need to see how it goes. I Think it will be bottles of bubbly if I manage to pass it. I'll let you all know how I get on and post the topic questions for those who may be interested. Best of luck to all those who are sitting it and I'm sure you will do fine on the 24th Helen. Good luck with the remark Lisa.

Elizabeth.

Hi everyone,

Well, I went and sat the dreaded IELTS today and it was going really well until the writing section, and then I lost the plot. I am totally gutted, I panicked about the time, or the lack of it.

I done task 2 first and then task one. I underestimated task 1, it was a table detailing the percentages of students studying in Australia. In hindsight I can think of many points I could have raised but didn't. I used the Peter May book which advised not to give reasons in task 1, just state what you see but on discussing it with other candidates they had written possible explanations for the stated percentages in the table????

It's very difficult to analyse when you're under pressure.

I changed my mind about what I was writing, erased it, only to discover as I was proof reading that I had accidently erased part of the task 2 instead. With no time to fix it and half a senteance missing, I think I can safely say I will be resitting.

Task two was very straightforward. It was asking us to agree or disagree with a proposed ban on all advertising.

The listening and speaking was very easy. Reading was a bit more challenging.

I can only think, at least I know what to expect next time. Good luck to all who will be sitting it in the near future and all I can say is practice the reading and writing section. Back to the books for me.

Elizabeth

Hi everyone,

Well, I went and sat the dreaded IELTS today and it was going really well until the writing section, and then I lost the plot. I am totally gutted, I panicked about the time, or the lack of it.

I done task 2 first and then task one. I underestimated task 1, it was a table detailing the percentages of students studying in Australia. In hindsight I can think of many points I could have raised but didn't. I used the Peter May book which advised not to give reasons in task 1, just state what you see but on discussing it with other candidates they had written possible explanations for the stated percentages in the table????

I changed my mind about what I was writing, erased it, only to discover as I was proof reading that I had accidently erased part of the task 2 instead. With no time to fix it and half a senteance missing, I think I can safely say I will be resitting.

Task two was very straightforward. It was asking us to agree or disagree with a proposed ban on all advertising.

I can only think, at least I know what to expect next time. Good luck to all who will be sitting it in the near future and all I can say is practice the reading and writing section. Back to the books for me.

Elizabeth

Unlucky Elizabeth, but like you say you will be better prepared and know more of what to expect next time.

Hope you ace it.

Good Luck

Kev

Guest welshgirl25

yes i did thanks, although it was my third go. awaiting skills assess. good news i have sold my house. good luck to you.

Hi everyone,

Elizabeth

Hiya Elizabeth, you never know you may get the mark you want. Section one in the writing does not ask for your opinion you will be going against the brief if you do and may lose marks it just asks for what is happing trends, etc

see below, let us know how you got on. x

IELTS Writing Task 1

In the first part, you are given a task based on some graphic or pictorial information. You are expected to write a descriptive report of at least 150 words on the information provided. (it is not asking for your opinion)

IELTS Writing Task 2

The second task is more demanding. You are expected to produce a written argument on a given topic and to organise your answer clearly, given some examples to support your points. You will have to write at least 250 words.

Lisa x

Thanks all, I'll just have to wait two weeks till the results come out. I was feeling pretty bad last night. Probably annoyed as I think I underestimated the writing section and didn't really practice as I should have. I was confident in writing an essay, the difficulty was doing it in such a short time frame. I think it was sensible to do task 2 first, as john said, it carries more points - if you don't erase part of it by mistake!!!

As a native speaker I found this test quite intimidating, I can only try to wonder how foreign people must feel. Then again, i've never been great in exam conditions.

Guest Magnetic6

Elizabeth if it's any consolation i didn't finish the writing section and i passed,so you never know!

Good luck x

Hi Elizabeth,

like you I didn't practice the writing section. So, I am in Spain at the moment, holiday reading is "How to write essays..." We've got our friend here as well from Gloucester who is quite an educated chap really and my friend. So guess what they are doing for me?????? Giving them topics to discuss and give me ideas. They just think it's hilarious.

Poor me who's gotta sit the damn thing. Also everytime a plane flies over we discuss the pollution its causing. Thinking about not going back, so i dont cause any polution on my flight home. HeHeHe...................

Hope this cheers you up a little. You'll have done well. My conclusion to my essay on plane pollution was just a jumbled up mess, so no wonder i failed.

You will get your results the day I am resitting. Just try and put it to the back of your mind for now, 2 weeks is a long wait.. Hope it all goes well for ya. Take care.

x Helen

Hi Helen, I suppose there's no better place to be studying than in the sun.

It would be great to see one of the marking guides for the writing task, just to see what they are really looking at. I suppose that might be termed as cheating, but I'd still have a wee peak LOL. I'll be thinking of you sitting your test as I'm opening my results. I just hope the postman isn't too late as I'm on nightshift and there's no way I'll be able to go to my bed in the morning until I've opened my results. I'm sure this will be the time you ace all the tests. I think (if I don't score the 7 this time) next time I'll take the time to do an essay plan instead of going straight into it.

Well best of luck for the 24th and I'll watch the posts to see how you and everyone else gets on.

Elizabeth

Hi Elizabeth,

I'm sitting the academic IELTS in Leeds on 17th April, not looking forward to it!!

On nights this week at work so its going to be hard to get the last bit of revision in?

Good luck with your results - you never know??

I will let you know how Saturday goes

Sharon

Hi Elizabeth,

I'm sitting the academic IELTS in Leeds on 17th April, not looking forward to it!!

On nights this week at work so its going to be hard to get the last bit of revision in?

Sharon

All the best for tomorrow! You will be fine. Thinking bout ya!!

I am stuck in spain on my hols which is not a bad thing, except not sure if I can get a flight back for next week. Getting a bit close for sitting my test on 24th.

All the best for everyone else sitting the test tomorrow.

:hug:xx

Hi Sharon,

Best of luck for tomorrow, hope it all goes well for you. Let us know how you get on.

Elizabeth

Hi Elizabeth,

Sharon

Guest thelongwait
Hi everyone,

Elizabeth

hiya, i'm an ielts examiner, and i often feel sorry for all the people taking the dreaded ielts test. personally i don't feel its a very fair test, especially since native speakers struggle with it too.

a few tips for the writing: did you find the public version of the writing scoring system? should be on the ielts website - let me know if you can't find it, i'll try to find a link. anyway, it shows how we mark your writing in 4 categories (response, organisation, vocab and grammar).

for a good response score: for task 1, don't analyse. (a lot of native speakers do but the question just asks you to report on the data picking out significant facts, just like it says in the peter may book. do include some numbers. don't give reasons why/analyse. also remember an overview or conclusion, which says something general about the data, eg. Overall, there is an upward trend. for task 2, start by giving an introduction that explains the topic, but don't just repeat the question, think of alternative words.

eg. question: what are the advantages and disadvantages of pets?

your introduction: These days many people have pets living in their homes. This brings them many benefits but there are also some drawbacks.

also make sure your position is clear, especially in the conclusion.

for a good organisation score, it helps to spend 2 minutes making a brief plan, for the task 2 before you start. the order should be logical, and don't repeat yourself. a lot of native speakers (and non-natives) forget to write in paragraphs. and by the way, a paragraph of just 1 sentence is considered bad style. you should have 3-5 paras for task 1 and i suppose 4-7 for task 2. also you should use some link words in both tasks (firstly, in conclusion, on the other hand, in contrast, in addition)

for vocab:try not to repeat words, espcially not words from the question, try to think of alternatives that mean the same thing.

for grammar: remember puncuation counts too.

good luck...

Archived