IELTS this week

hellsbells712

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest joireland

I have now sent off for my IELTS test, test dates are now up for June in Dublin. First one is on the 05 June, second is on the 20th. All test dates for May are full up.

I called UCD this morning and the June test dates were only put up today.

Will I have enough time to get everything lodged by the July deadline IF I get a positive result???

Many thanks

I have now sent off for my IELTS test, test dates are now up for June in Dublin. First one is on the 05 June, second is on the 20th. All test dates for May are full up.

I called UCD this morning and the June test dates were only put up today.

Will I have enough time to get everything lodged by the July deadline IF I get a positive result???

Many thanks

Hi ya,

Yea, if you get the 5th June there shouldn't be a problem. You'll have results by 19th, not if you sit it 20th.

Good luck. x

Hi All,

Many congrats to those who passed the Ielts!

I did mine on 17th April and am eagerly awaiting results. I wondered if anyone could let me know when I will get them? It seems to say 13 days after which will be this Friday. Does this mean they will arrive by Friday or they are published and then posted out on Friday. It's just that with the BH w/e I don't think my nerves will last till Tuesday! I need to get moving with my registration with QNC as we are leaving in June and I can't stay on holiday forever when I get there!

Many thanks for any help.

Hi All,

I did mine on 17th April and am eagerly awaiting results. I wondered if anyone could let me know when I will get them? It seems to say 13 days after which will be this Friday. Does this mean they will arrive by Friday or they are published and then posted out on Friday. It's just that with the BH w/e I don't think my nerves will last till Tuesday! I need to get moving with my registration with QNC as we are leaving in June and I can't stay on holiday forever when I get there!

Hi, they get posted on the Friday. Mine have always arrived on the Monday except last time which was the Easter bank holiday then they arrived on the Tue.

Good luck Lisa

Hi All,

Hi, I was told by the examiners that they would be posted out 1st class on the Friday and I received them on the Saturday morning. Good luck with your results.

Elizabeth

Guest keitho1234

hiya everyone i have just sat my 3rd ielts on sat and feel like it was the worst by far! arrrggg

my first exam was messed up by the invigalator who informed us we had 20 min left on the reading wen we had 40mins!

i got L- 7.5 , R - 6.0, W - 7.5, S- 8.5

SO i complained and asked for a retake. the university agreed and said if i got a whole point extra in the reading theywould refund the exam!

then 2nd exam i got S - 8.5, L- 8.5, R- 6.5, W -7.5

WAS gutted so i have send it off for a remark ( i know the chances are small!)

3rd exam on sat - was bloody awful and i chocked in there! any tips for the reading part as i just dont have enough time!

cheers

a very miffed nurse!

Guest man2010

I just sat the academic IELTS on saturday and only discovered today there was this thread! I wish i saw the thread before hand, cos i would have prepared a bit more.I think i will fail the written partly because my handwritting is awful, especially under pressure! I don't know how I will survive the 2 weeks wait,its agony!.. and then the royal mail lost an important piece of document I sent to Australia for the registration part with the medical council, i've lost the will to live! i feel like giving up the process. :mad:

Guest man2010
hiya everyone i have just sat my 3rd ielts on sat and feel like it was the worst by far! arrrggg

my first exam was messed up by the invigalator who informed us we had 20 min left on the reading wen we had 40mins!

SO i complained and asked for a retake. the university agreed and said if i got a whole point extra in the reading theywould refund the exam!

3rd exam on sat - was bloody awful and i chocked in there! any tips for the reading part as i just dont have enough time!

cheers

a very miffed nurse!

like you,i found the reading part,particularly the last part a bit confusing. fingers crossed and good luck to you!

cheers

a very miffed nurse!

Tips for reading would be to practice skimming and scanning. Reading through the questions first up might also help if it suits you. You can then focus on specific paragraphs of the passages instead of reading the whole text. The idea is to pick the right answers for those 40 questions in 60 mins, not to summarise the passages and understand every detail. The questions are tricky, but not really difficult. Just read and re read the question to be sure what it is asking. Pick the best fitting answer to it.

If you have some time on your hand, pick up everyday newspaper and read the editorial sections. Try reading through the passage in under a minute or 2 to understand what is written where.

If you have the IELTS practice material, it is worth practicing these tips on these tests rather than on the actual test! They are pretty similar to the actual test in terms of difficulty.

I gave my IELTS last month and scored 8.5 in R. I didn't read all the text in all the passages. I even spared about 20 min to recheck my answers and correct them if necessary.:biggrin:

Looking at your scores, your English is definitely good. It seems you're just nervous with the reading section. Go for it with an open mind.

Hope this helps!

Chirag

I just sat the academic IELTS on saturday and only discovered today there was this thread! I wish i saw the thread before hand, cos i would have prepared a bit more.I think i will fail the written partly because my handwritting is awful, especially under pressure! I don't know how I will survive the 2 weeks wait,its agony!.. and then the royal mail lost an important piece of document I sent to Australia for the registration part with the medical council, i've lost the will to live! i feel like giving up the process. :mad:

Hi ya,

I started this thread because I needed help with my IELTS. Its been so good though because there has been alot of support out there for a few of us in the same predicament, as in that we have failed our IELTS. Pretty gutting feeling, but I am sure you will be fine. I should of sat mine on Saturday but am stranded in Spain, so have to rebook. Darn!!!!! Alot have also passed with flying colours.

So here's to you who will pass, and those who need advice about this horrid test we all dread with a passion!!!

Just try and put it out of your mind until the day to get your results. Don't worry about the handwriting, thats not really the issue, my writing was attrochious, it was my ending I'm sure that let me down, a total muddle of words. Anyway let us know how you get on. Keep us posted.

:hug:x Helen

Guest nevergiveup

Hi there, pio

I am awaiting the results of my 4th sit sat.

To say the least it has been a nighmare. I am not going forward with anyhing else until i have this b....dly last piece of documentation

aaarrrrr, I have defo lost the will, and guess what its always the reading.Good luck to all pio awaiting results sat x

Guest man2010

I'll definitely let you know,hope i have my fingers spared after biting off all the nails in the 2 weeks wait! Thank you for the encouraging words, i hope i pass cos it is an expensive test to keep repeating.

Guest man2010

oh by the way Helen, thanks for starting the thread,it is very helpful and hope you get back home safely.

:smile:shylet

Guest keitho1234

thanks for the tips everyone! it defo must be me nerves on the day!

the thing is - i bought two of the practice books and my partner marked me in exam conditions ect and i passed them everytime! so to fail by half a point is sooo stressful!

like you lot said its the fact you have to do the whole exam again- the cost of the exam ect! i just hope i passed this time? get my result nxt friday so fingers crossed!

good luck to everyone else taking the exam

ems

Gutted!!! - got academic IELTS results today after working an early shift

listening 8.0, reading 6.5, writing 7.5, speaking 9.0 - overall score 8.0

More money, more stress - checked on website next available tests are not till July (thats if not booked up!)

Oh well, going away now for a few days over bank holiday - will start to think about this nightmare again next week !

Sharon

Hi all,

I've got my 1st IELTS in Cardiff on saturday & I'm really really nervous!

The problem is we already have our PR visa's & plane tickts booked for 3rd June but didn't find out until March that I needed to do IELTS for my Midwifery registration!!

When we'd been to see our agent regarding visa's etc they told us that I didn't need IELTS for Visa or Registration (which was true at the time) so it's been a hell of shock to find I've got to revise & sit the test as well as the millions of other things I've got to sort before we go!! plus if I fail, I'll have to resit in Oz and can't work until I pass!!

My head is spinning.

The test seems so difficult but with practice I am doing better on the reading, it's the writing that I find horrendous, I never seem to give anything remotely similar to the model answer.

Massive good luck to anyone sitting it in the next week or two.

Ellie xx

Gutted!!! - got academic IELTS results today after working an early shift

listening 8.0, reading 6.5, writing 7.5, speaking 9.0 - overall score 8.0

More money, more stress - checked on website next available tests are not till July (thats if not booked up!)

Oh well, going away now for a few days over bank holiday - will start to think about this nightmare again next week !

Sharon

Hi Sharon, So sorry to hear about your test.

I only booked my resit on Thursday for the 15th May. Now I have to travel to London from Leeds, as the next leeds ones are late June, more expense but there is spaces available in the london centres for May.

I just need to get it done now....

It always just seems to be that half point away, so unfair.

I cant really say anything else, because I know how you feel.

:hug: xxHelen

I wonder if they reduced the pass mark to 6.5 would then everybody get a single 6 in something?? call me cynical but i think its dodgy that were getting 8's & 9's and then one subject fails the whole test and there comes another £120+ their way!!! :evilface_frowning_s

Archived