IELTS this week

hellsbells712

I sat the general test this morning in Manchester for the first time, I think it went OK but you never know, the bloke who did the speaking test actually asked me why I was doing it as I was a native speaker

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JAFF

Horay..... I passed my IELTS today, what a relief, not any easy task, and I passed my higher English!!!

Skills assessment ready for GO................At last we are starting the ball rolling.

Good luck to all awaiting results and who have a test date pending.

I did my General test as well today. I think it went ok. I did finish the reading test quite quickly so hopefully that's a good thing and not a bad thing.

I was also asked why I am doing the test aswell!

Guest man2010
Hey all,

Got my ielts results today and the postman brought good news :) L8, R8 (shocked) W7, S8. Good luck to everyone else waiting on results!

Pamela.

congratulations pamela, what a relief for you!

shylet

Hi All,

I'm new to this, but have been following this thread since it started and wanted to say a massive thanks to all, especially Hellsbells. :notworthy:

I sat the dreaded IELTS yesterday also in Manchester, I honestly think half of the people there thought i was some kind of spy. Anyway, will now wait for my results and take it from there.

Thanks again

Guest Taylor72
Hi All,

I'm new to this, but have been following this thread since it started and wanted to say a massive thanks to all, especially Hellsbells. :notworthy:

I sat the dreaded IELTS yesterday also in Manchester, I honestly think half of the people there thought i was some kind of spy. Anyway, will now wait for my results and take it from there.

Thanks again

Hi Nic and welcome !!!

Im sure you did good in the ielts !!! but good luck anyway x

Im taking a wild quess that your a nurse ?? where you looking at heading to in oz ?

Im a nurse and hopefully heading to Brisbane and suburb area. Just got my registration woop woop !!! and now putting in for the modified assessment then state sponorship more stress yet to come haha x Good luck x Annette:hug:

Guest Pamela and Brian
congratulations pamela, what a relief for you!

shylet

Thanks, it is a relief!! Especially from the money aspect of things!! It isn't cheap. I just want to hurry up and get over there now but it's a waiting game and patience isn't my greatest quality haha.

Pamela.

Guest keitho1234

i am too a nurse who has failed this dreaded ielts for the third time!:frown:

fed up with this stupid exam! passing all parts except reading! last two have been 6.5 in reading!

guess ave gotta pick meself up and book me next one! xx

Guest Taylor72

fed up with this stupid exam! passing all parts except reading! last two have been 6.5 in reading!

Dont beat yourself up, its a nasty test and is an insult when your first language is english, and hats off to those who pass and english is not their native tongue.

Dont know whether this helps but i used the technique of reading the questions and then search the answers . Theres not enough time to read all the texts. Keep your chin up!!:biggrin: it will happen for you. Best of luck for nxt time

Annette

Guest nevergiveup

same ere keep goin ..... just sat my... wait for it .....5TH SIT on sat

how b....dy bad is that:mad::mad::mad:

Guest Taylor72
same ere keep goin ..... just sat my... wait for it .....5TH SIT on sat

how b....dy bad is that:mad::mad::mad:

You will get there in the end !!! like your name says never give up !!! it will all be worth it . God im in an optimistic mood that makes a change lol:tongue:

Now get rid of those angry faces and choose something happy :wink:

Annette

Hi Nic and welcome !!!

Im taking a wild quess that your a nurse ?? where you looking at heading to in oz ?

Im a nurse and hopefully heading to Brisbane and suburb area. Just got my registration woop woop !!! and now putting in for the modified assessment then state sponorship more stress yet to come haha x Good luck x Annette:hug:

Hi Annette

Bet its a great feeling to get your registration:biggrin: How long did it take?

Sharon x

Guest Taylor72
Hi Annette

Bet its a great feeling to get your registration:biggrin: How long did it take?

Sharon x

Hi Sharon

Well thats weird ive just sent you an email oooooo spooky lol x

My registration took 5 weeks but i got picked for a police check !!! they must of thought i was dodgy haha x:wub:

Guest thelongwait

A few tips for the reading:

the technique that most of the books teach and i teach my students to use is this:

1. do a quick skim read of the passage (about 30 seconds) to get an idea of the topic.

2. Read the instructions really carefully.

Does it say: 1 word and or a number? Or two words? If it says two words and you write three, the examiner marks it WRONG. Does it say one word FROM THE TEXT? or can you use your own words?

Does it say: Which paragraph contains the following information? That means you choose one answer only, A/B/C/D etc. Don't give two!

3. read the first question, predict what sort of answer they want, eg. is it a number/a date/an object

4. think of other words/phrases that mean the same thing as the question. They almost never use the same word in the text.

For example:

Question

There is a shortage of employees: True, False or Not Given?

In the text : 'There aren't enough workers' or 'There is a lack of working population' etc. So it is true.

This step is very important. If you don't do it, you might be looking for hours to try to find the answer!

5. Skim the text to try to find the answer to this first question.

6. Read the next question. Etc.

You have 40 questions and 60 minutes. so if you spend more than 1.5 minutes on a question, perhaps it's better to move on and leave that one til the end.

As you write your answers on the sheet, put a tiny dot against the answers you aren't sure about, so that if you have time left at the end, you can go back and check these ones.

Check spellings, spelling counts in the ielts!

good luck

Guest thelongwait

By the way, to give a rough idea of scores:

if you do a practice test, reading or listening, using ielts own official materials or using one of the ielts practice books:

To get an ielts score of 7, you need to get roughly 30/40.

For a 6, its about 26/40.

Guest Pamela and Brian

Hi,

Don't beat yourself up, you are almost there getting 6.5. It is a nightmare that you have to sit the whole exam again instead of the part you fail!! I got a 6 for the reading the first time and this time i got an 8! I got the peter may book and materials from the ielts website and they really helped me! 1 of the girls i sat the exam with was there for her third time, she had paid for an ielts examiner to help her prepare £20 an hour but it obviously helped because she passed it this time. Just something else to think about.

Good luck, Pamela.:wink:

Guest keitho1234

thanx for all your support and comments!:biggrin:

i know i will get their but it is just so annoying! i have 2 reading books and have done so many practice papers and passed no problem, but i guess on the day my nerves are reallly getting to me with the reading!:mad:

the thing is , i am getting between 8.5 and even 9 in the other sections!:wacko:

am going to book my next test this week!

thanx everyone and good luck to those who are doing the exam! thax for all the tips! xx

Hi Nic and welcome !!!

Hi Annnette, :smile:

Really good to hear from you. Yes i'm a nurse, married to Mark a decorator and we're not quite sure where we are going, we have friends all over. We just really want to be near the sea and sun. We're applying for permanent residency, but are just waiting my results then we'll decide for sure. The IELTS seemed to be ok (after weeks of studying, including a full week of annual leave to study) but if i have to do it again then i go again. Its just what has to be done to get where we want to be.

You seem to have it all worked out, i'm sure the stress will seem like a distant memory when walking along a golden beach downunder.

Cheers & Good luck

Nik:hug:

thanx for all your support and comments!:biggrin:

i know i will get their but it is just so annoying! i have 2 reading books and have done so many practice papers and passed no problem, but i guess on the day my nerves are reallly getting to me with the reading!:mad:

the thing is , i am getting between 8.5 and even 9 in the other sections!:wacko:

am going to book my next test this week!

thanx everyone and good luck to those who are doing the exam! thax for all the tips! xx

It's just crazy really :wacko: There is no time to read, in the so called reading section, how can this test reading skill.

All the tips on this thread have been really really helpful.

Maybe in the end its all just a fluke. What do you think?

YES? NO? NOT GIVEN? :err:

Congrats to those who have passed recently.

2nd time this Saturday coming............Just can't wait NOT !!!!!!

Hopefully writing might be on some natural phenomenon.......... I am part of history, having been stranded in Spain due to ash cloud !!!!! HeHeHe !!!!

Good luck to anyone else sitting it on Saturday. Am looking forward to my trip to London. Treated myself to a 1st class train ticket and nice hotel. The least I deserve.

Good luck everyone.

XXXX Helen

Archived