IELTS this week

hellsbells712

Guest man2010

I got my academic IELTS results today after days of waiting and nugging the IELTS team for my result. I cant believe my luck,I dont have to resit the damn test after taking it for the first time! L8 R8 W7.5 S9

good luck to everyone taking the test.

Tips:

not overstating the obvious, relaxing is important,then you wont loose track especially for the listening.

I must admit I did spend time reading all the passages and then went to the questions. This worked for me because then I had an idea where to scan for the answers.The majority of people feel its best not to spend time reading and just go straight for the questions.It's worth practicing both and see which one works for you.

I used the booklet sold by IELTS for practice and read through the guidelines.:biggrin:

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I got my academic IELTS results today after days of waiting and nugging the IELTS team for my result. I cant believe my luck,I dont have to resit the damn test after taking it for the first time! L8 R8 W7.5 S9

good luck to everyone taking the test.

Tips:

not overstating the obvious, relaxing is important,then you wont loose track especially for the listening.

I must admit I did spend time reading all the passages and then went to the questions. This worked for me because then I had an idea where to scan for the answers.The majority of people feel its best not to spend time reading and just go straight for the questions.It's worth practicing both and see which one works for you.

I used the booklet sold by IELTS for practice and read through the guidelines.:biggrin:

What fantastic results - well done!:jiggy:

Bet your glad thats out of the way - at least you can now move onto the the next stage

Sharon

Guest man2010
What fantastic results - well done!:jiggy:

Bet your glad thats out of the way - at least you can now move onto the the next stage

Sharon

Thanks sharon, at least its one extra tick off the list of documents to present!

Good luck to everyone else sitting.

Don't feel particularly stressed about Saturday, but I think I probably am. Have broken out with Urticaria - got this terrible rash everywhere. STRESS!!!! Holy mo.....Don't know if they will let me in the exam room looking like this !!

Good luck everyone for Saturday sitting the test and getting reslts.

Sharon - any word on your remark yet???? God they are taking their time.....

:hug: x Helen

Don't feel particularly stressed about Saturday, but I think I probably am. Have broken out with Urticaria - got this terrible rash everywhere. STRESS!!!! Holy mo.....Don't know if they will let me in the exam room looking like this !!

Good Luck Helen, fingers crossed this time.

Lisa x

Best of luck tomorrow Helen - you can do it!!

Let us know how it goes - After your exam hopefully you can enjoy your time in London!!

My daughter has started a few months ago with Urticaria:confused: its fine when she takes her medicine, if not it flares back up? Docs think it may be a reaction to something?

Sharon x

Guest kyeandgem

Is there anyone else out there who already has their visa and has sold their house booked tickets and pretty all much set to go, then come to register as a nurse in oz only to find out about this bloody ielts test, this is exactly what has happened to my wife. Got our visa before the apparant change in the rules last July.

Anyone else think this another money spinner and ridiculous hirdle to jump over for someone who is ENGLISH, hopefully someone in the ANMC is getting there arse's kicked on a daily basis for this ridiculous decision to bring in this insulting test for people they are apparantly screaming out for to come live in their country.

rant over,

sorry but this has really peed me off.

Oh yes, we have already had our rants about it...... Look through the thread and you will find a few in the same position. Sharon has her visa but is now waiting for a remark. Alot of us are feeling cynical about it all, because we have just been a half mark away mostly, and having to resit the damn thing.

I've not got my visa yet but am a native english speaker with 20 years nursing experience........ We think it is a money racket at £110.00 a pop. My resit is tomorrow.

It seems they are bringing it in to alot of occupations now.

Just a word of warning, tell your good lady to get lots of practice, there are alot of IELTS web pages with help and mock tests. Tell her to get a feel for it. Don't go in blindly to the test and she needs to sit the academic test. Get booked soon because they get booked up fast and especially if other professions are starting to do it, spaces will get hard to come by. If you live near London there are 6 places that do the test and don't seem to get booked up so far in advance.

Go to www.ielts.org and put uk in the location, it will give you all the uk test centres and then click on the area you prefer, they give you up to date info on test dates available.

Good luck, try not to let it get you's down. Lots of support on here.

xx Helen

Well, its a beautiful sunny day here in London. The day is here again.

I AM NOT NERVOUS, I AM NOT NERVOUS, I AM NOT NERVOUS !!!!!!:arghh::arghh::arghh:

Good luck everyone + Good luck getting results, hope postman brings good news for folk.

Talk later!!!!

x Helen

Guest Taylor72
Well, its a beautiful sunny day here in London. The day is here again.

I AM NOT NERVOUS, I AM NOT NERVOUS, I AM NOT NERVOUS !!!!!!:arghh::arghh::arghh:

Good luck everyone + Good luck getting results, hope postman brings good news for folk.

Talk later!!!!

x Helen

Hi Helen xx

Sending you lots of positive thoughts :hug:

Im sure you will be fine this time,

GOODLUCK and breathe !!!!!:wub:

Annette x

Well that's it.... Just need to go back for my speaking test.

If anything my listening might have let me down. Missed a few and not sure of a few. When I checked back I counted 10 wrong or missed qusetions. That should still get me a 7. As long as I get 30 out of 40.

Well reading and writing not bad at all. Think I did ok.

Reading: Ironically - Australia beaches... Mainly Bondi - matching paragraphs

True / False / not given

I think,? Bologna women from the past.

Transport system and road struture, something to that effect

Writing: 3 different employers with 3 different methods of job advertising and job recruitment.

Housing shortages in major cities is having major social consequences. The government should be taking more action to sort the problem.

Do you agree or disagree?

Not bad at all.

Unfortunately I don't live in London, otherwise I could have my results, a week Thursday.

I was about the only English/Irish person there today and about 200 people sat it. 20,000 pounds in 1 day . A scandal and a con.

Never mind. Hopefully I won't have to sit it again.

Take care everyone.

X Helen

Guest Taylor72
Well that's it.... Just need to go back for my speaking test.

If anything my listening might have let me down. Missed a few and not sure of a few. When I checked back I counted 10 wrong or missed qusetions. That should still get me a 7. As long as I get 30 out of 40.

Well reading and writing not bad at all. Think I did ok.

Reading: Ironically - Australia beaches... Mainly Bondi - matching paragraphs

True / False / not given

I think,? Bologna women from the past.

Transport system and road struture, something to that effect

Writing: 3 different employers with 3 different methods of job advertising and job recruitment.

Housing shortages in major cities is having major social consequences. The government should be taking more action to sort the problem.

Do you agree or disagree?

Not bad at all.

Unfortunately I don't live in London, otherwise I could have my results, a week Thursday.

I was about the only English/Irish person there today and about 200 people sat it. 20,000 pounds in 1 day . A scandal and a con.

Never mind. Hopefully I won't have to sit it again.

Take care everyone.

X Helen

Sound s like you did ok Helen, i will keep my fingers crossed for you and all the others on here that are taking the test. You are sooo right the amount of money they make in just on sitting is unbelievable!! Lets hope you dont have to pay the robbing devils anymore money x x positive thoughts coming your way :wub:

Guest scally wag

Lots of us are in the same position re IELTS, already to go then WTF!

There are other IELTS threads running.

I have replied to a few on BE - Be warned they are quite pro IELTS for whatever reason. Probably because they did not have to sit it! Who knows?

Some of the pro arguments are patient safe guarding, Oz nurses need to do it to practice in the UK and so forth. As soon as patients are brought into the equation it makes me feel quilty and back down over the IELTS argument.

Its like an itch you carn't get to!

Good luck to all

C

Guest Taylor72
Is there anyone else out there who already has their visa and has sold their house booked tickets and pretty all much set to go, then come to register as a nurse in oz only to find out about this bloody ielts test, this is exactly what has happened to my wife. Got our visa before the apparant change in the rules last July.

Anyone else think this another money spinner and ridiculous hirdle to jump over for someone who is ENGLISH, hopefully someone in the ANMC is getting there arse's kicked on a daily basis for this ridiculous decision to bring in this insulting test for people they are apparantly screaming out for to come live in their country.

rant over,

sorry but this has really peed me off.

Im loving your rant:cute: you are so right and i would love to be the one kicking those bottoms haha. Its such an insult !!!! I wish your wife the best of luck !!

Annette

Guest Taylor72
Lots of us are in the same position re IELTS, already to go then WTF!

There are other IELTS threads running.

I have replied to a few on BE - Be warned they are quite pro IELTS for whatever reason. Probably because they did not have to sit it! Who knows?

Some of the pro arguments are patient safe guarding, Oz nurses need to do it to practice in the UK and so forth. As soon as patients are brought into the equation it makes me feel quilty and back down over the IELTS argument.

Its like an itch you carn't get to!

Good luck to all

C

The ielts is all well and good when english is not your first language, but when its your first language its a complete INSULT!!!!! and a money making scam .

Annette:no:

Everythi ng all done and dusted.

Speaking test a breeze. Lovely fella interviewing.

Talked about me, job I did, holidays, where I've been, best places, which place long haul would I like to travel to.

School I went, eduacation system, teachers role, what makes a good teacher. That was that. Cool!!

Just need to wait 2 weeks now...

x Helen

I am going to miss my test on 24th, can't get back until a week Monday at the earliest. Oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!!:smile:+:mad: More money lost, unless due to the circumstances they might waive the cost + let me rebook my test with this fee.... Doubt it!! Sorry for being so cynical

Sorry to hear your going to miss your test, i hope you get back soon. Iv just booked up for Los Angeles & Las Vegas in Oct as a 40th birthday treat hope its all gone by then!! im sorry my last post was negative im just really peed off with it all.

Lisa x

Hi Lisa,

Had a really good speaking test today. Sopke about holidays. That was it, I was on a roll about my trip to America and mainly Vegas. Couldn't shut me up. You'll have a fab time.

X Helen

Guest kyeandgem

Has anyone else considered complaining to the Aussie government about this travesty, im in the process of doing just that.

I know it will achieve the square root of f**k all but just knowing i have actually let them no my thoughts on the matter makes feel a little better, and you never know if they get enough complaints they might just reconsider. You never know!

Guest thelongwait

by the way, the ielts is reciprocal - if aussie and new zealand nurses want to come to the UK, they also have to do it...maybe its worth complaining to the Australian medical association?

Guest thelongwait

but i totally agree that it's a stupid test. if a nurse qualified in an english speaking country, and is experienced, how does trying to decide True, False or Not Given for tricky, stupidly worded questions safeguard anything? i'm sure most Aussies on the street just want to have more nurses working in their hospitals and would be horrified to hear that they are wasting hundreds if not thousands of dollars for a pointless test that was designed to test the english of foreign speakers.

Guest Kiraloo

I've heard that the (Krudd?) government is considering alternative options in regard to IELTS so maybe the current testing system will be replaced or amended at some point in the future.

I had to sit IELTS twice myself, two years ago to obtain a student visa and again in April 2010 for immigration purposes and registering my profession.

I'm from a non-English speaking background and very pleased that I scored an overall band 8.

My objection to IELTS is that it does not truly reflect my writing abilities, I know that I am capable than scoring higher than 7.0 only but with only one hour left to complete two tasks I managed to write two drafts; there was no time to check on grammar or wording.

Give me another hour and I would have presented them with two masterpieces.

But I guess that's not the point. Two years ago I managed to get a 7.5 .

The speaking test is just too easy and if you manage to concentrate well during the listening test it should also be a breeze.

Reading is the bit where they really try to test you out (there must be a psychological component to it to see how people comprehend).

Still managed to well in the reading test but I would love to sit a similar exam in my native language to see whether I would still make the same mistakes ( I probably would).

Anyways, well done everyone who sat their exams yesterday. I remember having a crashing headache after the listening and reading test because I concentrated so hard.

There really should be a break after the reading test.:mad:

Regards

Have a feeling my listening test is going to fail me this time. Will feel such a dork if this is the case. A lapse of concentration.

Never looked at which question we were on, everyone made a sigh of relief, but the cd kept playing. Thought OMG there must be more. Turned over the page. Another 5 to go. Missed 3 of the questions by the time I realised.

So just a warning keep a check on which question you are on and the possibility of questions on the back page.

x Helen.

Everything else OK.

Archived