IELTS this week

hellsbells712

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Taylor72
Have a feeling my listening test is going to fail me this time. Will feel such a dork if this is the case. A lapse of concentration.

Never looked at which question we were on, everyone made a sigh of relief, but the cd kept playing. Thought OMG there must be more. Turned over the page. Another 5 to go. Missed 3 of the questions by the time I realised.

So just a warning keep a check on which question you are on and the possibility of questions on the back page.

x Helen.

Everything else OK.

Dont worry hun x you might have done ok :wub:

Whats the worst that can happen ? you take it again !!! But im sure u will be fine :wink:

Annette x:hug: big hugs

but i totally agree that it's a stupid test. if a nurse qualified in an english speaking country, and is experienced, how does trying to decide True, False or Not Given for tricky, stupidly worded questions safeguard anything? i'm sure most Aussies on the street just want to have more nurses working in their hospitals and would be horrified to hear that they are wasting hundreds if not thousands of dollars for a pointless test that was designed to test the english of foreign speakers.

Hi there, could you answer a question for me as an examiner/marker please??

In the speaking test which I have just sat on Saturday 1 of the questions was:

In no more than 2 words and/or numbers............it asked for date of birth.

On the tape the chap said his D.O.B was 16th October 1976.

What would the answer be to this???????? To me someones D.O.B should include date, month and year, so I am right in saying this question is wrong or is it 1 of them hairy / fairy questions???

This might be 1 of the questions that just sees me through or makes me have to resit. Think I did fairly well in readng and writing, thanks to your previous advice. Have come to the conclusion that I will need to sit the test 4 times to pass, failing a different section each time apart from the speaking. :arghh:

HeHeHe!!!!!!!

:notworthy:x Helen

Guest thelongwait
Hi there, could you answer a question for me as an examiner/marker please??

In the speaking test which I have just sat on Saturday 1 of the questions was:

In no more than 2 words and/or numbers............it asked for date of birth.

On the tape the chap said his D.O.B was 16th October 1976.

What would the answer be to this???????? To me someones D.O.B should include date, month and year, so I am right in saying this question is wrong or is it 1 of them hairy / fairy questions???

This might be 1 of the questions that just sees me through or makes me have to resit. Think I did fairly well in readng and writing, thanks to your previous advice. Have come to the conclusion that I will need to sit the test 4 times to pass, failing a different section each time apart from the speaking. :arghh:

HeHeHe!!!!!!!

:notworthy:x Helen

hi, sorry do you mean this question was in the listening test?

that sounds like a weird question. often it says "in no more than two words and/or a number. which means that there could be two words AND a number. but in this case, i guess if you wrote the date of birth, and that's what it asked for, i don't see how they can mark it wrong. perhaps they count a date of birth like 16/10/1976, as one 'word'.

i think it's pretty dodgy that ielts test papers are all top secret. It doesn't give anyone a chance to challenge them afterwards and say: "hang on, that is a really badly worded question."

anyway, i reckon you will have done fine. it shouldn't be that tricky that a native speaker would fail a listening test, especially when you tried it before and know what to expect. so try not to worry, and best of luck with your results.

xx

hi, sorry do you mean this question was in the listening test?

that sounds like a weird question. often it says "in no more than two words and/or a number. which means that there could be two words AND a number. but in this case, i guess if you wrote the date of birth, and that's what it asked for, i don't see how they can mark it wrong. perhaps they count a date of birth like 16/10/1976, as one 'word'.

i think it's pretty dodgy that ielts test papers are all top secret. It doesn't give anyone a chance to challenge them afterwards and say: "hang on, that is a really badly worded question."

anyway, i reckon you will have done fine. it shouldn't be that tricky that a native speaker would fail a listening test, especially when you tried it before and know what to expect. so try not to worry, and best of luck with your results.

xx

Hi ya, thanks for your reply.

Yes it was the listening.....Definitely said no more than 2 words and/or numbers. As you said , because I knew what to expect I kept looking at it and looking at it, reading the question over and over. And because it asked for date of birth and i was a little confused, I wrote it as 16 October 1976 as I heard it. So who knows.

Thanks anyway.

Have a feeling my listening test is going to fail me this time. Will feel such a dork if this is the case. A lapse of concentration.

Never looked at which question we were on, everyone made a sigh of relief, but the cd kept playing. Thought OMG there must be more. Turned over the page. Another 5 to go. Missed 3 of the questions by the time I realised.

So just a warning keep a check on which question you are on and the possibility of questions on the back page.

x Helen.

Everything else OK.

Hi Helen,

You just never know which way this test goes - its a nightmare until you get your results!! Good luck with it!

What a fantastic trip you have booked for your 40th - lucky you :jiggy:

Sharon x

Massive goodluck to anyone getting their IELT's results today.

I've got everyting crossed & getting very nervous!!

Ellie

xxx

Good luck Ellie

Just got mine

Had to go through some crazy ritual before i even opened it.

I'VE PASSED :cry::cry::cry:

L (8) R (7) W (8) S (9) overall 8

Honestly, there would have been no way wihout you lot.

thankyou, thankyou, thankyou all

And the oscar goes to!!!!!!!

Right i've stopped

good luck to everyone today

fingers crossed for you all

Nic :v_SPIN:

Is there anyone else out there who already has their visa and has sold their house booked tickets and pretty all much set to go, then come to register as a nurse in oz only to find out about this bloody ielts test, this is exactly what has happened to my wife. Got our visa before the apparant change in the rules last July.

Anyone else think this another money spinner and ridiculous hirdle to jump over for someone who is ENGLISH, hopefully someone in the ANMC is getting there arse's kicked on a daily basis for this ridiculous decision to bring in this insulting test for people they are apparantly screaming out for to come live in their country.

rant over,

sorry but this has really peed me off.

Hi,

We are in the same position! Visa approved in Dec 09. Just had to sit the IELTS to register with QNC. Sounds easy, but, no, the test centre, despite taking 110 quid for the privilege of informing you that you are fluent in your native tongue, don't appear to grasp the importance of this. They send the results by second class post so I don't get them until over a week after they are published, ignoring my email to attend in person and collect them. Finally, I get all the stuff together to send to Queensland Nursing Council incorporating another trip to the solicitor (and fee) to get my signature witnessed, and send it all off. Phew....until today, 2 weeks later, QNC send it all back as they haven't received the IELTS test results from the centre. Absolute bunch of numbnuts!

Rant rant rant etc. No-one to even answer the phone till Monday. Rant rant rant etc.

I'm gonna ask for a refund.

OH MY GOD!!!!!

I passed!!!!

L-9 R-9 W-8 S-9

I am in total shock!!

Yay will be putting in for midwifery registration 1st thing monday!!!

WOW!!!! Fantastic scores

Well done you

The sun does seem to be shinning down on us all today

Well done to everyone

:jiggy::jiggy::jiggy:

Guest Kiraloo
Good luck Ellie

Just got mine

Right i've stopped

Congratulations!!!

What a great result. I was sick with nerves when the results finally arrived but decided to be brave and opened the envelope quickly. I could hear my own heartbeat though and really enjoyed the adrenaline rush when I saw how well I had done.

Guest Taylor72
Good luck Ellie

Just got mine

Right i've stopped

Congratulations Nic on passing the IELTS !!!! one hurdle over .

well done :hug:

Annette x

Best of luck tomorrow Helen - you can do it!!

Let us know how it goes - After your exam hopefully you can enjoy your time in London!!

My daughter has started a few months ago with Urticaria:confused: its fine when she takes her medicine, if not it flares back up? Docs think it may be a reaction to something?

Sharon x

Hi Sharon,

This time it's not about IELTS, but about this damn Urticaria. Can I ask what does your daughter take for it. It's just I've had it now for 2 weeks, nothing is helping. Taken Piriton, Cetirizine, using diprobase cream, tried Calamine with Aqeous cream. It's worse than ever at the mo. Another trip ack to the docs tom. I think. My skin feels like it's on fire. It started either due to some insect bites got a few weeks ago, or due to stress recently.

Hopefully when I get my results on Saturday it might resolve.

Any word about your results???

XX Helen

Hi Sharon,

This time it's not about IELTS, but about this damn Urticaria. Can I ask what does your daughter take for it. It's just I've had it now for 2 weeks, nothing is helping. Taken Piriton, Cetirizine, using diprobase cream, tried Calamine with Aqeous cream. It's worse than ever at the mo. Another trip ack to the docs tom. I think. My skin feels like it's on fire. It started either due to some insect bites got a few weeks ago, or due to stress recently.

Hopefully when I get my results on Saturday it might resolve.

Any word about your results???

XX Helen

Hi Helen,

My daughter takes Cetirizine which has been brilliant for her. I wonder like you said if its due to stress, with this IELTS? Good luck for Saturday - fingers crossed!!

I'm not waiting for any results - failed the IELTS test in March on the reading section 6.5. No more tests available until 11 July, wanted Manchester so spoke to the centre (places available) filled the forms in again, more photographs - fully booked up Aarrrggggh!! So I've now booked in Liverpool 11 July (got confirmation back)

Sharon

Hi Helen,

My daughter takes Cetirizine which has been brilliant for her. I wonder like you said if its due to stress, with this IELTS? Good luck for Saturday - fingers crossed!!

I'm not waiting for any results - failed the IELTS test in March on the reading section 6.5. No more tests available until 11 July, wanted Manchester so spoke to the centre (places available) filled the forms in again, more photographs - fully booked up Aarrrggggh!! So I've now booked in Liverpool 11 July (got confirmation back)

Sharon

Hi ya,

Thanks. Unfortunately cetirizine hasn't worked. Now on Ketotifen and cimetidine. In a bad way today. You would think I have been sat in the sun for 24 hours. Embarassing, people would think ya daft woman for sitting in the sun with no lotion, it looks that bad today.

I thought you were waiting for a remark. It must be Lisa thats waiting.

Dreading Saturday, wih all the people recently getting really high results. I will feel so embarassed if i fail again...... Especially if it's the listening section. They might be a bit easier on the marking in London. Who knows. Must say it didn't feel as organised this time. And I think I was the only native english speaker there. They might feel sorry for me...... Please Pleaseeeeeeeee....

xx Helen

Guest scally wag

Hi,

Just wanted to share my IELTS experiance. Have had lots of info off this thread and wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who has posted on it and sharing their info etc.

Passed with L -8, R -7, W-7, S-8.5 over all 7.5

I know loads of people have fallen on the reading and I found this the hardest, scraped through with a 7. The last section is a real pig.

For what is it worth this is what I did. I did not read the texts as such, no time to do this. I read the first paragraph of each to just get a jist of it. Went straight to the questions then went and found the answer. They tend to follow on to each paragraph up until the last few questions (false, true, not given) Wrote the answer straight on to the sheet, if I was unsure I put a dot next to it so when I had finished, I could look back and change it if I felt it was wrong. I also went with my gut instinct. I had plenty of time left at the end to re look through all of them and make adjustments. I am sure this is what got me a 7. If I had run out of time and not checked I would be re sitting for sure. Not sure if it helps but it worked for me.

I also tried to keep calm and positive, hard I know, but I really thought in the exam, f**k it, if I have a degree I will not let this beat me!

Good luck to all, I feel your pain, its dreadful.

Caroline

Archived