IELTS this week

hellsbells712

Guest welshgirl25
hi welshgirl25

did you pass the Ielts?????

cheers

from nevergive up who ...... cannnot pass the bl....dy Ielts

Yes thanks i did. Third time lucky I had 9 in reading 8.5 writing 8.5 listening and 7 in reading.:biggrin:

Good luck and hang in there to all if you sat it today.

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's hard to tell how you did in the Writing and Speaking sections. I thought that I'd come down in the former and failed the second (I was very aware of every umm and ahh). Got 8.5 and 9 respectively.

Hope that you get the result that you're looking for.

Well it's over and done with........TG.

Listening was a breeze, reading not as bad as I thought today probably all that prep I had put in, writing well thats a different story. I struggled with time, then my final summary totally contradicted my whole point. definite fail. Speaking well i was out in 9 minutes and by did i give a load of info. Can't believe we spoke about that much in 9 minutes. So who knows. Absolutely a mentally exhausting day.

Thanks hope everyone else did well.

:hug:

What did they ask you to talk about in the communication part? I've got my IELTS coming up shortly which I'm dreading!!:arghh:

Good luck with your results!

What did they ask you to talk about in the communication part? I've got my IELTS coming up shortly which I'm dreading!!:arghh:

Good luck with your results!

Ah well where do I start. As i say I cannot believe how much we actually spoke about in 9 minutes. Don't know if this is a good thing or not though.

First she apologised but had to go through same procedure as for a nonnative english speaker.

Then spoke about me, where i had grown up, what would i recommend someone to see when they came to visit my town. Spoke about books if any that I read now and when i was a child. Whether reading is a good thing. Bla Bla Bla. Did i ever collect things as a child or now.

Asked me about government buildings, whether money should be pumped into doing old buildings, if old civic buildings were attractive.

How modern urban life has changed things for the community.

My cue card was about a modern building I have seen recently, what was interesting about it. Would anyone I know find it interesting?????Could I think of any...... Bloody hell!!! All I could come up with was John Lennon Liverpool airport.Spoke about John Lennon, Liverpool FC, my holidays from when I flew from Liverpool.

Just make sure you practice lots. Especially reading and writing. Do practice alittle for the listening just so you know the format. But that was a doddle. Well I've said it now...'s a long draining day. Still feeling the pressure of it now. Dont let that put you off though. It's just I've not done much academically for a while, so struggled a little with the writing. Look at lots of examples before hand and you will be fine.

Good luck. Will let you know how i get on and when i need to resit.

:hug:Helen

Why is it so difficult? Isn't it supposed to be competant English!? I feel sooo stupid for failing!

Don't feel sooo stupid for failing. You ain't seen my results yet. Will let u know on the 20th. Gauranteed to fail my writing part. Got totally muddled then when i did get in the swing, was running out of time, and my final sentence made absolutely no sense and totally contradicted my whole point.

People say u don't fail it's just you don't get the needed score but I know what u mean. Don't worry, some people on here have had to resit several times. That will be me soon.

When do u resit?

U need a :hug:

Guest MrsKav

Thanxs Lol still feel stupid though! I have given up on the idea, think it's ridiculous so no re sit for me. I have written a little poem to Kevin Rudd instead in true Brit sarcasm! I was doing the IELTS in hope of doing a return to nursing course in Australia if I get my spouse visa... However the nurses board of victoria make getting into MI5 seem like a breeze! I have decided to let fate take me into my chosen path in life. Good Luck to everyone sitting the IELTS may we take our competant English to the shores of Oz and learn Aussie slang instead, much more fun! My husband promises to learn me English Aussie style if I get my spouse visa whopee!

Guest will2010

IELTS is very simple for nativ English speaker i think. i am Chinese. i have sat it 3 times. :(

4 10 will be my fourth time.

-_-||

IELTS is very simple for nativ English speaker i think. i am Chinese. i have sat it 3 times. :(

4 10 will be my fourth time.

-_-||

Sorry must disagree with ya there. General test might be, but in no way is the academic IELTS simple. Even academically mind folk with PhD's and all sorts have not acheived minimum scores. For our professional jobs we need to get a minimum score of 7 in all the separate sections. Difficult task Im afraid. I think I am an excellent caring nurse but having to do this english test is just delaying Australia in getting some quality nurses.

Sorry for the rant. Difficult day at work. Just need to go to Oz NOW...............

Ah well where do I start. As i say I cannot believe how much we actually spoke about in 9 minutes. Don't know if this is a good thing or not though.

First she apologised but had to go through same procedure as for a nonnative english speaker.

Then spoke about me, where i had grown up, what would i recommend someone to see when they came to visit my town. Spoke about books if any that I read now and when i was a child. Whether reading is a good thing. Bla Bla Bla. Did i ever collect things as a child or now.

Asked me about government buildings, whether money should be pumped into doing old buildings, if old civic buildings were attractive.

How modern urban life has changed things for the community.

My cue card was about a modern building I have seen recently, what was interesting about it. Would anyone I know find it interesting?????Could I think of any...... Bloody hell!!! All I could come up with was John Lennon Liverpool airport.Spoke about John Lennon, Liverpool FC, my holidays from when I flew from Liverpool.

Just make sure you practice lots. Especially reading and writing. Do practice alittle for the listening just so you know the format. But that was a doddle. Well I've said it now...'s a long draining day. Still feeling the pressure of it now. Dont let that put you off though. It's just I've not done much academically for a while, so struggled a little with the writing. Look at lots of examples before hand and you will be fine.

Good luck. Will let you know how i get on and when i need to resit.

:hug:Helen

Thanks Helen for your tips, I have got the Peter May book which I'm working through (its so boring - but needs must!) will let you know when I take it next month.

Thanks Sharon

Thanks

I'd encourage everyone not to worry too much about the IELTS test, I took mine after the MODL points were removed and got my results this morning. I got 9s in each category and that was with zero practice. The reading and listening were very straightforward (an occasional question might be slightly ambiguous but only one or two) and you are given plenty of time. One point though, focus carefully on what you must write in each answer box, this changes - one word, two words, it varies and you don't want to get penalised for getting this wrong.

The speaking was obviously very easy for a native speaker, though some of the conversation topics are strange for someone from the UK (ie they're aimed at non-native speakers), but this is no drama.

I personally think that writing is the area in which it would be easiest to make mistakes. You must be sure to cover more than the minimum word count and to stick to the topic of the piece that you are writing. If it helps there are check marks at the bottom of the sheet for the markers to show areas where you can be downgraded.

Finally, just relax, read the questions carefully and follow the instructions. You'll be fine

I wish people would clarify which test people are taking as the general test is VERY VERY much easier than the academic.

I know!!!

the general appears to have been much easy. Oh i do wish it was easy to get 9's accross the board.

Here's hoping but very doubtful. Will be lucky to get 7's me thinks......And in the academic there are certainly no markings to guide you with the writing section. No help at all. Ah poor me.

Keep practising. xx

Guest welshgirl25
I wish people would clarify which test people are taking as the general test is VERY VERY much easier than the academic.

Hi gareth I too am a nurse, I sat the test 3 times and finally passed on the third time I to speed it up I sat it in cardiff, Bath and Bristol. The reading was letting me down 6.5 on each (prbably because the text i was reading was so boring).

Hang in there, I almost gave up but its work it in the end:wink:

Welshgirl

Guest gingerdingo
I'm taking mine on the 10th of April :arghh:

I guess it's going to be practice practice and practice until then..

Good luck to everyone who's sitting IELTS!! :wubclub:

My wife is also taking the test at Leeds on the 10th, good luck to all

• 2 weeks later...

Archived