Changes to MODL - 8 Feb 2010

ptlabs

Hi all,

I am an international student finishing my studies in April, I am trapped into Job Ready Policy, How will the new announcemnt going to effect students like me?

Thanks

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest thescore
Hi All

The people who will be hit hardest by today's announcement will be those whose applications will be capped and ceased. Those people will either have to abandon their thoughts of moving to Australia or they will have to start the whole application process again. The reason that the Minister has used 1st September 2007 is because all applications for offshore visas which were submitted up to and including on 31st August 2007 are the old visas (subclasses 136, 138. 49(5/6) etc - I don't know all the numbers and I don't really know how any of those visas worked either, but the Minister has decided to kill off whichever of the subclass numbers are the offshore visas.

A lot of applicants will lose a LOT of money as a result, not to mention having wasted a HUGE amount of time putting up with the vagaries of the Aussie Government and their vascillating, dithering Minister for Immigration.

The people who will be hit second hardest by the new rules will be those who were relying on the 15 MODL points because the main applicants are aged 40 or over. To these people, please remember that:

1. State sponsorship is worth an extra 10 points; and

2. Proficient English via doing well in the General IELTS is worth another 10 extra points.

I think it will be possible to rescue quite a few of these applicants, thiough probbably not all of them.

I think that the VET sector of the International Education industry will be very badly hit, with the closure of many private colleges and the loss of a lot of jobs in that industry. Many Aussie Citizens currently working in that industry are too old to re-train, so if I were them I wouldn't vote Labor in the forthcoming General Election.

Some people who were planning to get Student Visas to go to Oz and to train there in the VET sector will decide not to bother to apply. That will hit a lot of the private VET colleges in the pocket and will force them to close down, I suspect. It will also hit the Australian Government Treasury where it hurts - in the pocket.

I don't know whether it will be possible for International Students who have only just begun VET sector courses in Oz to get out of trouble. I think it will depend on whether it will be realistic for them to make GSM applications during 2012 at the latest. It might be possible but a lot of experts will have to do a lot of chewing about this.

Cheers

Gill

Thank you for this accurate view, I think that the immigration agencies will have a hard time as well.

Guest eXtaTine
Hi-

I think this may have lost me 15 points I was going to claim under the modl (as a qualified accountant).

Which takes me from 130 points down to 115.

I only qualified as an accountant in September 2008, but prior to that, I have had two roles, both of which were in finance, do you think it would be possible for me to claim 10 points under "specific work experience"?

Otherwise I believe I am screwed. Extremely annoying as I have just:

1. Renewed my passport

2. Sat IELTS test a couple of weeks ago

3. Received back all academic and professional exam results certified

and am just about to send off for skills assessment, details are as follows

1. Age 28

2. Qualified accountant (from Sept 2008)

3. worked in finance for 6 years

Would really appreciate any feedback as I would rather know now if my dream can no longer become a reality.

Planned to submit application - but not sure there is much point now

Hi stelstar,

I'm in a similar position as you, except that my experience is in Engineering rather than Finance. I believe you should be able to get at least the 5 points for experience in any occupation in the SOL for the last 3 of the 4 years, which would bump your points up to 120.

The link to this info is here: Skilled – Independent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 175)

Guest guest17301

So....if a nurse was to submit a 175 or 176 application next week, where would they be placed in the priority list?

my aunty is due to submit soon, what will this mean for her? Also I checked out her points total and it doesn't appear to me that she has enough for 175! She is 39. I happened to find info on the eligible relative sposor. Am I correct in thinking that I could sponsor her myself as a permanent resident of Australia?

Guest The Pom Queen

I just want to say that I am thinking of you all and wish you luck at this worrying time.

Hugs and prayers:hug:

Yes, Good bye for me and thousands like me who applied before the Sept 2007.

Hi Sir...

But I think the 496 are exempted.......from this...

Cheers Mr Bajwa

Sagar...

Hi Sir...

But I think the 496 are exempted.......from this...

Cheers Mr Bajwa

Sagar...

Thanx matey,

But still there is so much confusion on this. My agent will talk to DIAC today and will call me on 6.00 ( Indian Time ) In the evening. Then only the picture will be cleared. I hope you got all the updates Sagar?

Thanx matey,

But still there is so much confusion on this. My agent will talk to DIAC today and will call me on 6.00 ( Indian Time ) In the evening. Then only the picture will be cleared. I hope you got all the updates Sagar?

I am sure the GOD is not Rude Sir...

You will definitely get the good even Best news ...

Get ur fingers crossed and DO REMEMBER GOD and PRAY as much you can..

My BEST Wishes are with you..

Gill and all PIOz members will you good LUck..

Am i right Gill??

Always Praying for me and All

SAGAR.....

This is the question number 17........

Can somebody answer me what does this mean?

Yes, applications for subsequent entrants for provisional GSM visas are exempt from priority processing arrangements. The provisional GSM visas are:

• Skilled—Regional Sponsored (subclass 475)

• Skilled—Graduate (subclass 485)

• Skilled—Regional Sponsored (subclass 487)

• Skilled—Designated Area-sponsored (Provisional) (subclass 496)

• Skilled—Independent Regional (subclass 495

This is the question number 17........

Can somebody answer me what does this mean?

Yes, applications for subsequent entrants for provisional GSM visas are exempt from priority processing arrangements. The provisional GSM visas are:

• Skilled—Regional Sponsored (subclass 475)

• Skilled—Graduate (subclass 485)

• Skilled—Regional Sponsored (subclass 487)

• Skilled—Designated Area-sponsored (Provisional) (subclass 496)

• Skilled—Independent Regional (subclass 495

the question is "I have been granted a provisional GSM visa and my spouse now wishes to join me, will they be able to do so?"

This seems to me like it is in reference to people on-shore in AU who are on a provisional visa and wish for their spouse to join them.

the question is "I have been granted a provisional GSM visa and my spouse now wishes to join me, will they be able to do so?"

This seems to me like it is in reference to people on-shore in AU who are on a provisional visa and wish for their spouse to join them.

Oh man big confusion.... They have mention subsequent entrants which is for all who applied the visa.....

Guest Woodmill

I don't understand it! We're here as students and want to apply for 886 sponsored by family in around a year's time or whenever we get through the new Job Ready thing. Does this mean that the 60 points we got from the CSL are no longer applicable? How do we get to 100 points?

Sorry if these are very basic questions! I am still trying to get my head around the TRA changes a month ago.

Hi Gill....

Today there are so many changes....

Please answer my question...

I am 475 SS Non Csl

Logded file in OCT 2008

Med and PCC Uploaded without Demand of CO...

Is this true that Cat 5 applicants are now Cat2...?

Will I am not affected by any type of changes and i will get my visa soon?

From discussions here and there Is it true that Soon i will get my visa?

Is State sponsored are having max Priority now instead of 23 sep changes?

Please consider my case and answer me...

Thanks

SAGAR...

Guest guest17301
Hi Gill....

I am 475 SS Non Csl

Logded file in OCT 2008

Thanks

SAGAR...

Unfortunately though immensely helpful and a font of knowledge Gill does not have a crystal ball nor is she clairvoyant. Why don't you read through the agents thread and glean whatever info you can from it like everyone else!

Hi Gill....

I am 475 SS Non Csl

Logded file in OCT 2008

Thanks

SAGAR...

Nope!!!!!!!!! cat 2 details are yet to be defined and even then they need the ministers nod. Each state may now have to prepare two lists

Guest Jamie Smith
Thank you for this accurate view, I think that the immigration agencies will have a hard time as well.

In particular, agencts that have a main focus on Skilled Independent and other visas, offering little or no support to migrant sto assit with employment etc.

Agents that use our services or somethign similar can still obtain ENS / 457 / RSMS for their clients and will probably survive.

I think soon we'll face even more devastating measure like this:

Certain occupations may be capped to ensure skill needs are met across the board.

Amendments to the Migration Act will be introduced this year to give the Minister the power to set the maximum number of visas that may be granted to applicants in any one occupation if need be. This will ensure that the Skilled Migration Program is not dominated by a handful of occupations.

Guess who is going to suffer most??

Shi....t always comes in great numbers and stinks to the whole world.

please can someone offer some advice?

having dithered for two years, have now decided to start application process....onlt to come on here and find these changes.

we originally were going to apply for a 175 on my husbands trade, communications linesperson.

As far as i can understand, this has been removed for the skills list?

gutted, why oh why did we wait!!!!!!

we ve still to contact our agents, so am clinging ointo a little hope :)

lorraine x

Most Agents will be contacting their clients today and letting them know what impact this will have on individual applications. I am available on the telephone between other tasks today and tomorrrow.

I dont think there are any easy words of encouragement for people caught up in this. It seems that the log jam will be getting bigger and some people will miss out.

The release of the new lists will provide some certainty when they come out.

An election this year will also bring some more clarity. Boths colours of political parties in Australia value migration as a means to benefiting the economy.

Uncertain days ahead for all.

Hi Gill

OH is a Carpenter. We originally had 125 points so that would still leave us 110. My worry is that he turns 45 in May and if he is not on new state skills list (by the time it comes out) have we have missed our last chance? Our agent is expecting our WA ss shortly and has made them aware of the fact that age is a factor.

Guest CrossforGood
Have a question.

Every newspaper article copy-paste the same notion that "The Immigration Minister will get the power to set a maximum number of visas that may be granted"

Where do they get it from? This last news don't say anything like this. Or am I wrong?

It does clarify that Minister is using the power entitled under Section 39 of Migration Regulations 1994. I am thinking, even if people take their case up to court, there will be a slim chance for them to win out, though it is a sorry for them.

Guest eXtaTine

Hi,

If an applicant applies tomorrow for a 175 visa, and he/she meets the pass mark based on current rules, is there a possibility the individual may be affected by any changes to the GSM points test in the future?

Archived