Guest guest36187

Sorry I forgot to say, and this is something I was advised to do. Should your parents apply for a visa onshore - while on a visit/holiday for instance -they will be allowed to spend the long wait here in Australia with you.

G'Day

That's all good in theory, but they can't apply onshore if their tourist visa has a "no further stay" condition attached – which seems to be pot-luck. Nor can they, in theory, "enter Australia with the intention of applying for a permanent visa" – in other words, they might come unstuck if they visited for a short time and applied during that stay, or if they applied immediately on arrival for a longer visit. Better to leave it a couple of months, perhaps.

Good luck, Mike

Hi, the son who is sponsoring us has had permanent residence since last May,so he had been settled for 5 months or so when we applied we took the view at the time that it would be nearly two years before our application would be considered but it all happened a lot quicker than we expected,we are now rushing around like headless chickens.

cheers mike.

Hi,

Do you know if they are allowed to work, even on a 20 hr week basis, while waiting for their visa in Oz.

As parents trying to get there via the fastest route, we are looking for any loopholes. We could not afford to live there without working.

Any info would be great!

MKF

Hi if you come over on a visitor visa originally and are then granted a bridging visa while you wait for the parent visa to be granted the bridging visa will have the same conditions as the visitor visa, which means you will not be able to work.

You can only apply onshore for the aged parent visa, and one of you will need to be over 65. I am not sure how long this visa is taking to process. Otherwise it would be the normal parent visa 103, which is currently taking around 20 years, I understand.

Hi, the son who is sponsoring us has had permanent residence since last May,so he had been settled for 5 months or so when we applied we took the view at the time that it would be nearly two years before our application would be considered but it all happened a lot quicker than we expected,we are now rushing around like headless chickens.

cheers mike.

Quite a few headless chickens on here at the moment, including us - scary isn't it?

Hello I was wondering if anyone could advise me on the best way to get my parents here. I have been a permanent resident in oz for 4 years . My sister is on her way here too and we dont want to leave our parents at home. We have been advised that the best option is the contributory visa . we can find the money but my real worry is if they fail the medical. Dad is in his 70's and had a heart attack in his 50's and is on statins. Mum had a hip replacement and may need another one some day in the future.

I was told they could come on an onshore aged parent non contributory visa subclass 804 straight away . which means they can live here while on the long wait list to be assessed. When they are assessed in 10 years time howver they could get sent home in there 80's.

Does anyone know what kind of things would cause you to fail a contributory parent medical?

Alterantvely does anyone have any expereince of being sent home after 10 years on a bridgin onshore 804 visa?

any advice welcome!

I do know of a case mentioned on here where someone failed their medical. I understand they appealed, but not sure what happened.

With regard to the medical, they generally look at things which are going to cost them a lot of money. You could download the medical forms from the DIAC website to see what's involved. If there are any issues they generally ask for more tests.

I have also sent you a PM

Hi if you come over on a visitor visa originally and are then granted a bridging visa while you wait for the parent visa to be granted the bridging visa will have the same conditions as the visitor visa, which means you will not be able to work.

You can only apply onshore for the aged parent visa, and one of you will need to be over 65. I am not sure how long this visa is taking to process. Otherwise it would be the normal parent visa 103, which is currently taking around 20 years, I understand.

WE are in our mid 50's so aged parent doesn't apply. We need the Contributory Parent Permanent Visa. Unfortunately it will cost approx 70,000 euro. It's the quickest way to get there, What I don't know is how long your sponsor needs to be there before you can lodge. My son with the PR visa has only just gone to Oz. We are desperate to get going!! MKF

WE are in our mid 50's so aged parent doesn't apply. We need the Contributory Parent Permanent Visa. Unfortunately it will cost approx 70,000 euro. It's the quickest way to get there, What I don't know is how long your sponsor needs to be there before you can lodge. My son with the PR visa has only just gone to Oz. We are desperate to get going!! MKF

Hi

The sponsor normally needs to be deemed as 'settled'. This is more a state, rather than a period of time, although the form states normally two years. However, having said this, they look at things such as whether the sponsor owns property, has a car, steady job, children in school etc. I do know of someone on here who applied after her daughter had been a permanent resident for about 11 months, but she was able to prove she was heavily involved with the community (I think she was a guide leader).

Just a thought: I presume you pass the Balance of Family Test?

Best advice to get started is to read Booklet No 3 on the diac website available via http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/books3.htm :confused:It covers most things but as most will tell you on this site it is not all set in tablets of stone. Good luck and keep a good stock of wine in as we all find it helps ease the stress.:swoon:

Hi

The sponsor normally needs to be deemed as 'settled'. This is more a state, rather than a period of time, although the form states normally two years. However, having said this, they look at things such as whether the sponsor owns property, has a car, steady job, children in school etc. I do know of someone on here who applied after her daughter had been a permanent resident for about 11 months, but she was able to prove she was heavily involved with the community (I think she was a guide leader).

Just a thought: I presume you pass the Balance of Family Test?

Thank you for that. Yes our other son has been in Oz for past 2 and half years. He has a temporary self sponsored regional visa and will apply for PR at the earliest opportunity. That is our entire family in Oz.

Best advice to get started is to read Booklet No 3 on the diac website available via http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/books3.htm :confused:It covers most things but as most will tell you on this site it is not all set in tablets of stone. Good luck and keep a good stock of wine in as we all find it helps ease the stress.:swoon:

Thank you for that onfo. Yes I agree, sometimes it seems like a good idea to get by in an alcoholic haze!!

hello everybody,

I would like to see if there is anyone that has the same situation like us, just to confirm what I understand.

I came to Oz on 2008, then began to work since 11/2008, have 2 children enrol on a primary school since 2008. We were on student visa (dependants of my husband).

We have got our PR 3/2011, and I am the main applicant.

I apply a 143 for my mum ( I am an only child), thinking that the 2 years settle is fine.

Could anyone who has knonw about this confirms that we do not need to be "PR" in that 2 years settling down?

Thank you

Hi. We are nearly ready to submit our CPV application and emailed Perth with a couple of queries, one being who could certify our Birth and Marriage certificates in the UK. We thought maybe a solicitor but just wanted confirmation. However they are recommending we get them certified in Australia! They say our daughter can arrange this for us. Has anyone else been advised to do this when they applied offshore? Thanks, Angie

Hi. We are nearly ready to submit our CPV application and emailed Perth with a couple of queries, one being who could certify our Birth and Marriage certificates in the UK. We thought maybe a solicitor but just wanted confirmation. However they are recommending we get them certified in Australia! They say our daughter can arrange this for us. Has anyone else been advised to do this when they applied offshore? Thanks, Angie

We just asked our local solicitor, but there is quite a list of people you could use - I am pretty sure similar to the list who could sign your passport photos.

Julie

Hi Angie, In order for somebody in Australia to certify your documents, you would have to send the originals to your daughter in the post. That is what they will be certifying - that the document is a true copy of an original and whoever signs must have seen the original.

I would have them done here (our migration agent did ours) a local solicitor would charge a small fee but as long as they stamp the document with their company stamp too, I cant see a problem.

Hope this helps! Val

Hi Angie, In order for somebody in Australia to certify your documents, you would have to send the originals to your daughter in the post. That is what they will be certifying - that the document is a true copy of an original and whoever signs must have seen the original.

I would have them done here (our migration agent did ours) a local solicitor would charge a small fee but as long as they stamp the document with their company stamp too, I cant see a problem.

Hope this helps! Val

Can't understand why they asked them to be done in Australia. I had all mine done by a local solicitor when I was visiting the UK. £5 for about 20 documents..but that price may vary.

G'Day

I know that some but not all members read posts on "another place". Alan Collet has just posted an interesting bit of news there – I don't think he would mind it being repeated here – which might explain the widely varying times people are experiencing in getting a CO:–

My understanding is that the Parents Visa Centre is now working in a similar manner to the Adelaide Skilled Processing Centre, in that applications are assessed initially (once they have been allocated) by lower grade people (with all due respect to the lovely people at both offices - in case this post is read by one of those DIAC personnel!) before they pass to a case officer for finalisation of the application.

This is a change in the last two to three months.

What this means in practice is that requests for extensions of time should be best directed to the generic email address at the PVC:

Best regards.

Alan Collett of Go Matilda.

All the best, Mike

Thank you for that. Yes our other son has been in Oz for past 2 and half years. He has a temporary self sponsored regional visa and will apply for PR at the earliest opportunity. That is our entire family in Oz.

Just a thought. If your other son has been in Oz for the past 2 and a half years could he not sponsor you? They sometimes take temporary residence into consideration, especially if he can prove he is 'settled'. Might be useful to have a chat with a reputable agent such as Alan Collett.

hello everybody,

I would like to see if there is anyone that has the same situation like us, just to confirm what I understand.

I came to Oz on 2008, then began to work since 11/2008, have 2 children enrol on a primary school since 2008. We were on student visa (dependants of my husband).

We have got our PR 3/2011, and I am the main applicant.

I apply a 143 for my mum ( I am an only child), thinking that the 2 years settle is fine.

Could anyone who has knonw about this confirms that we do not need to be "PR" in that 2 years settling down?

Thank you

See my post further up relating to the 'settled' status.

Guest guest43653

Help can anyone please tell me if we pulled out of the CPV 173 while awaiting a CO would we be able to apply again in the future or would we have burnt our bridges so to say?:sad:

Help can anyone please tell me if we pulled out of the CPV 173 while awaiting a CO would we be able to apply again in the future or would we have burnt our bridges so to say?:sad:

Hi, We struggled with this dilemma too. We have decided to continue with the original application now we know that we dont have to actually live in Australia right away. We have been advised to validate the 173 when we get it (or during the life of the police/meds) then, when the temp 173 two years is nearly up, apply for the permanent 143. We will still have quite a while before we have to be living in Oz. If we had withdrawn and then waited until we are ready to sell up and go the CPV prices will have increased quite a bit by the time we re-applied.

But to answer your question, no you wont have burned your bridges (well not according to our migration agent)

Hope that has helped...............Val

Hello

It shouldn't have any impact on a future application - but have you considered switching to the standard parent visa instead? It may mean another application fee, but time spent in waiting for that would (as things stand today) be taken into account in a future 173/143 application.

Good luck

Cheers

Steve

Can't understand why they asked them to be done in Australia. I had all mine done by a local solicitor when I was visiting the UK. £5 for about 20 documents..but that price may vary.

No we couldn't understand either. I think it's maybe that I mentioned we were thinking of asking the post office to certify the documents as they will sign up to 4 for a £7 fee. So perhaps whoever replied from Perth wasn't really sure and went for an option they knew for certain would be acceptable. Anyway we have now got them all certified as true copies of the originals by a local Solicitor for £20 in total which we thought was reasonable. Thanks to everyone who replied. Angie

Guest guest43653
Hello

It shouldn't have any impact on a future application - but have you considered switching to the standard parent visa instead? It may mean another application fee, but time spent in waiting for that would (as things stand today) be taken into account in a future 173/143 application.

Good luck

Cheers

Steve

Thanks for your expertise. The OH is having second thoughts, we havent been out there since last June and where he was all for it then i think he has forgotten the reasons why we decided to go for the visa. I think i will leave things as they are for now and hope that when we go out again in September it will bring the reasons to the the fore again.

He likes stability, where i like the unknown and maybe i pushed him harder than i thought we will see.

Thanks to all who replied to this post.

HI, Congratulations. Can I ask how long did you have to wait before you could lodge your visa. In other words how long was your sponsor there and deemed "settled" before you application was accepted.

About to embark on all this, but our son with the PR has only just arrived in OZ, but we want to get there asap!

Regards

MKF

Hi,

following on from Linday's reply, I am the person who applied for my CPV after my daughter had only been in OZ for 11 months. I sent in lots of supporting documents, she no longer had a UK property, had had a house built in Mount Barker, was a guide leader, secured a job, had the dogs shipped over, both had brought cars. - they are no more settled now then they were at the 11 month stage. It was never mentioned by my CO & she was appointed after 13 months, I thought that was quick then but it's much quicker now

good luck with your decision, you will find this site invaluable for support & information

Katie x

Guest airyfairy

My daughter is considering emigrating with her family. Would it be wise for me to apply for a visa at the same time, as I will not have any relatives in the UK once she has gone.