Guest guest36187

Hi

I always seem to come on here for help you must be sick of me.

I am trying to open an account with NAB but when i put 'Other' in the type of visa applied for and then CPV 173 in the next bit when i submit it comes back Other in Visa is wrong.

Has anyone else filled this form in and had problems if so can you help please.

Thanks

Sue

Hi Sue

I would be interested to know the answer as we will also be doing this soon. Maybe you could try sending a PM to the guy from NAB who posts on the Finance bit of this forum.

Hi Sue

Cannot help you with the form as I cannot remember filling one in when I opened my NAB account. (must have filled something in) Try e mailing Migrant.Banking@eu.nabgroup.com <Migrant.Banking@eu.nabgroup.com> for assistance. I had Deborah Cottam help me when we set up the account but she may have moved departments.

You may be interested in the paragrph below which was from the original e mail I received and gives an insight into opening accounts before you have a visa (or even apply).

"You are welcome to open your account within 12 months of migrating to Australia, however arrangements can be made prior to this point should you wish. What we do is open a credit only facility, so you are able to start making transfers across to the account before you leave. The account we open for you is an Investment Cash Manager account, which is a savings account, and we also put you in touch with your Migrant Banker in Australia. A migrant banker is a personal banker who deal specifically with migrants, so they understand your situation a little better than an every day banker. Once you arrive in Australia and activate your account, they will hand you your cards, arrange internet and telephone banking should you require, and also discuss your further banking needs such as current accounts, credit cards etc ".

Try this also as their web page may help http://www.nabgroup.com/migrantbanking

Have fun and don't take it any more seriously than you really have to:yellow_guy_crazy_ty

regards

peter

Guest guest43653
Hi Sue

I would be interested to know the answer as we will also be doing this soon. Maybe you could try sending a PM to the guy from NAB who posts on the Finance bit of this forum.

Thanks for that i have emailed NAB aswell and hopefully they can tell me what is the right thing to do. I know someone on this site had a problem with the application form but can't find the post and not sure it was the same problem. If i haven't got a reply tomorrow i will try and contact the NAB man on here and hopefully he can help.

Sue

In case anyone is going to Manchester for their medicals just thought I would share our experience. We had our today. It was all very straightforward and everyone was very nice. We had Dr Million who is quite a character and continually joking which put us at ease.

There was a weight and height check, a brief physical examination, (all very discreet)blood pressure taken and bloods, then urine sample and then off for the X-rays downstairs. Took about an hour.

They did say they were getting very busy due to the fact that DIAC are asking the backlog of people who applied for the 175, which they had stopped processing, to get medicals and police checks done in anticipation of processing. Someone phoned for an appointment while we were there and the earliest they could give was 5th May.

Hi Phoebe,

Yes, I would think that your best bet would be to email the Parent Visa Centre in Perth although I doubt you would lose your place. To be safe, if you are going to do it, then do it before they hike the prices up again on July 1st.

Hope they give you some good news instead of blah blah jargon like they usually do!

Val:arghh:

Thanks Val.

Does anyone happen to have the right email address :wideeyed:

Phoebe

Thanks Val.

Does anyone happen to have the right email address :wideeyed:

Phoebe

Hi Phoebe, I just usually go on the www.immi.gov.au site and search for "parent visa centre" then click on "how to contact"(I think thats what it says) and scroll down till you get to the email section and just fill out the form and send. They usually get back to you in a day or so.

Hope this helps.................Val

Hi Phoebe

We emailed parents@immi.gov.au when we enquired about switching from the 103. This is the address on the acknowledgement letter.

Thanks Linday I think thats who I emailed last time and they sent me a number to ring in Oz but I've emailed them again see what comes back. If I get the same answer I'll have to ring Oz, thankfully Les Avelock gave me a cheap rate number fingers crossed :biggrin:

Phoebe

Thanks for that i have emailed NAB aswell and hopefully they can tell me what is the right thing to do. I know someone on this site had a problem with the application form but can't find the post and not sure it was the same problem. If i haven't got a reply tomorrow i will try and contact the NAB man on here and hopefully he can help.

Sue

Make sure you can access your money Sue once you've put funds into it. As mentioned by others, some banks will only allow this once you've arrived in Australia, which could be very frustrating.

Try putting just a visa number in the field (leave out the "CPV") - that might work.

Cheers

Steve

Guest guest43653
Make sure you can access your money Sue once you've put funds into it. As mentioned by others, some banks will only allow this once you've arrived in Australia, which could be very frustrating.

Try putting just a visa number in the field (leave out the "CPV") - that might work.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks Steve the form worked perfectly ok this morning maybe it just needed the computer to reboot who knows.

I am only putting money in at the moment that we need when we go on holiday in September and my daughter owes us some money so the account will provide her a place to put it without being able to get to it.

Sue

Thanks Steve the form worked perfectly ok this morning maybe it just needed the computer to reboot who knows.

I am only putting money in at the moment that we need when we go on holiday in September and my daughter owes us some money so the account will provide her a place to put it without being able to get to it.

Sue

Aha - makes a lot of sense then.

Cheers

Hi, Are you able to tell me how much the medical cost were for 1 adult applying for a 143. We are in Australia at the moment and looking at getting them done here before we return. From what I have read I think it's cheaper over here but it would be nice to get the info first hand.

Rgds

Dave

Hi, Are you able to tell me how much the medical cost were for 1 adult applying for a 143. We are in Australia at the moment and looking at getting them done here before we return. From what I have read I think it's cheaper over here but it would be nice to get the info first hand.

Rgds

Dave

From memory, I think my medical cost £275 last August with the Birmingham clinic. That cost included the courier costs to send all documents to Oz. Hope this helps.

Rgds

Dave

Expect to pay between £200 (if you are lucky where you live) and £300 (where we live). They are so far apart that you really can't shop around.

To give an idea how they take the P on pricing the one in Central London near to Harrods is about £50 cheaper than the one in the sticks near Brentwood Essex. :mad:

Rgds

Dave

Hi

We just paid £497 for the two of us in Manchester (Ouch!)

I know that B.E. has their parent visa thread......why dont we have one?

All parent visa applicants.....here is your own thread in order to ask questions, chat, moan and groan....whatever you wish!

Good Luck to you all and looking fwd to hearing from you x

Hi Everyone

We lodged our CPV applications in May 2010 and are hoping that a case officer will be allocated by July/August.

Does anyone who lodged applications early last year have acase officer allocated yet?

chrisaus

Hi Everyone

We lodged our CPV applications in May 2010 and are hoping that a case officer will be allocated by July/August.

Does anyone who lodged applications early last year have acase officer allocated yet?

chrisaus

Hello

Have a look at Australian migration, contributory parent visa, information and progress tracker

It may help to give you an idea.

Cheers

Steve

Hi just a quick update. We have been in Sydney for two a bit weeks now. We are staying with our daughter, but move into our apartment on 5th april. We are renting the apartment ,it is in crows nest (considered a good area) close to city. The apartment is a one bedroom fully furnished. it has a swimming pool,jacuzi. It is $380.00 per week. We have got our medicare cards and are waiting for our seniors card. We travel every where bus train and ferry with a $2.50 per day pensioners excursion card. we are loving it here. It has all been worth it. Our grandkids are amazing. We do not have a true idea of cost of living until we move into our own apartment. I will give you an update on Sydney life, as we find out more. We do know that this has been the best decision we have ever made. The cost of the visa almost forgotten!!!!!. We have spoke to lots of people here who are on temp visa, and have told us about the stress of it all. It is nice to be permanent residents. Good luck everyone. x x xx x

Hi Steve wondered if you had recieved my emails regarding updating the tracker?? Thanks Viv

No - but you're not the first one to alert me, so I've just been in and fixed a receive problem. Sorry about that. I do have it now.

Cheers

Steve

Hi just a quick update. We have been in Sydney for two a bit weeks now. We are staying with our daughter, but move into our apartment on 5th april. We are renting the apartment ,it is in crows nest (considered a good area) close to city. The apartment is a one bedroom fully furnished. it has a swimming pool,jacuzi. It is $380.00 per week. We have got our medicare cards and are waiting for our seniors card. We travel every where bus train and ferry with a $2.50 per day pensioners excursion card. we are loving it here. It has all been worth it. Our grandkids are amazing. We do not have a true idea of cost of living until we move into our own apartment. I will give you an update on Sydney life, as we find out more. We do know that this has been the best decision we have ever made. The cost of the visa almost forgotten!!!!!. We have spoke to lots of people here who are on temp visa, and have told us about the stress of it all. It is nice to be permanent residents. Good luck everyone. x x xx x

Hi Phyllis

Glad that you made it through the visa system and are moving into an apartment soon. I also make good use of the pensioner excursion ticket for getting around Sydney by bus, train or ferry. I rent in Sydney and love the place.

If eventually you consider buying a property here, these are my thoughts on buying a property and selling one if you happen to already be an owner.

The majority of houses/apartments here are sold at auction. The effect of this that you as the seller spend four or five weeks wondering about what you will actually get for your current property. This is hard on the nerves. Then to make things worse, you need to start looking at properties that you would like to buy, but you do not know how much you will get for your place and you do not know (other than a price guide figure) what you will need to pay for your new place. Some agents set the guide price deliberately low in order to get plenty of bids at the auction. I read of a recent auction with over 60 bids. Most of the potential buyers had paid fees for building and pest inspections and having already spent this money, the agent is banking on them bidding above their original limit. The property actually sold for a figure that was 25% higher than the guide price and a lot of auction attendees must have felt duped.

I attended a house auction 12 months ago and I found the whole atmosphere was very intimidating and I was only there as an observer. The auction took place in a public room and a dozen properties were being sold. As a property was being auctioned, the auctioneer could be like your best friend if you were bidding and trying to convince you to up your bid. Once you placed a bid, the auctioneer was suddenly your worst enemy as he was telling someone else that they only had to outbid your bid by another 10k and the property would be theirs. Once they placed a bid, the auctioneer switched allegiance to another bidder and so on. All around the room were about 15 agents all in their best business attire. During the auction they would walk around the room and up to potential bidders trying to coerce them into increasing or placing a bid.

Only about 25% of the properties were sold as some had already been sold prior or had been withdrawn. I walked away from that auction stunned at the intimidation. Not good if your are of a nervous disposition.

None of this sounds very good but in practice it is even worse. This is because if you are selling a place, all agents here demand an upfront marketing fee. This is a significant amount of money that will be lost if you do not eventually sell. On top of this the agent will want a percentage fee on the sale proceeds.

So, if you want weeks of nerve wracking tension and to risk significant sums of money without knowing where you may be living, then try moving house in Australia.

If an English style estate agent who works on a "no sale, no fee" basis came to Australia and employed some local people with local knowledge they would clean up.

Peewit

Hi Everyone

Does anyone who lodged applications early last year have a case officer allocated yet?

chrisaus

Hi

We lodged ours at the beginning of March last year and got a case officer about 4 weeks ago, just under 12 months, so you shouldn't be long now.

Lovely to hear such a positive update!! I'm moving to Sydney myself in September and am feeling quite anxious about costs etc so your email is very reassuring! I'm out next week just to validate and to celebrate my 60th with my kids and grandkids before returning for 5 more months work....I'm going to look to rent too for a bit in September so your rental costs are helpful.

Thanks-Fiz

The majority of houses/apartments here are sold at auction.

Peewit

We attended an auction when we were in Torquay in January - just to see how it works for when we move there later this year. It was held at the house itself, which was open for inspection 30 mins before the auction. There was only one agency, represented by 3 of their finest and they held an "ice-breaker" auction first of a bottle of wine, proceeds to charity and then got onto the business of the house auction, which was actually done out in the street. They started at $600k, but no-one bid, they dropped to $580K and still silence, and silence and more silence until it actually became incredibly embarrassing (at least to David & I.) Eventually after much encouragement on the part of the auctioneer he asked anyone to put in any bid that they thought reasonable - MORE silence. He went indoors and phoned the Vendor (at least he said he did, but he was back out very quickly) and said that the Vendor was very disappointed but would be prepared to consider offers in excess of $550k - still no response so the auction was abandoned and everyone went home. We spoke with the agent before the auction and told him we were not there to buy but to watch and he was very willing to tell us about building and pest inspections that are recommended before buying either by auction or otherwise and he gave us a lot of tips for the future. We spoke to him again after the auction and he told us that 90% of properties that go up for auction receive no bids at all - that this example was very typical. I don't think my nerves could stand it and there really wasn't the kind of intimidation that Peewit describes. It was a interesting thing to see but very alien to us used to the slow and cumbersome English system. Apparently, going to house auctions is a favourite pastime for many Aussies!

Gill