Guest guest36187

Someone else may have already replied, but this is surely the fee only if you've already got the 173, not if changing horses midstream.

Mike

I emailed the immi website to ask about the cost of changing from 143 to 173 due to CO's coming earlier now (we had hoped to have all the money saved by then but won't in the time for CO's ATM :wideeyed:)

I was told if I wanted to change from the 143 to 173 I would have to pay the first VAC in full again :swoon: .

Does anyone know, if I did change from the 143 to 173 (for the moment with changing back to the 143 at a later date in mind) would I keep my place on the list or would I have to start from the beginning again :confused:

And just one other question, forgive my ignorance, but exactly what does DIAC mean :goofy:

Phoebe

Guest Sheza1963
Bumping this up! Where are all our `parents`????

Yes well here goes this is my first time on this site.

Can anyo e tell me if you can apply for a contributory

Aged parent visa whilst living in the uk if so does anyone know a good one in England.

Hello Guys.

I am a fairly old member of PIO but was worried for my file which was finalised last week eventually after 2.5 years of waiting.

I just have a small question.My parents came here on a tourist visa for 1 year (With No further Stay Condition) attached.As i got my PR, so I am aiming to file my dad's CPV 173 visa.As he got a no further stay condition, so we cannot lodge an onshore application.

My question is CAN SOMEONE LODGE AN OFFSHORE VISA (WHILE HE IS ONSHORE WITH NO FURTHER STAY CONDITION)? As 173 is an offshore visa so will we have to wait till they get back home or can we lodge it here?

Thanks

There are a few criteria you have to fulfil for the CPV, firstly you have to pass the balance of family test. This means that at least 50 per cent of your parents children must have had permanent residency for at least two years.

Secondly, I am not sure how the "No Further Stay" will affect a future application but I am guessing that they will not be eligible to apply whilst onshore.

I hope someone will be able to give you more help later. Val

Our Aussie born granddaughter had to have a heart transplant at 7mths of age, and since our daughter is our only child and she and her other half have no other family in Australia, we thought our circumstances might get a sympathetic hearing from Immigration. Our application was supported by letters from the Royal Children's Hospital (Melbourne), Cardiologist, Social Services, our daughter's local vicar but all to no avail - even though we were paying they would not advance our application in any way! We now have our CO so things are up and running but it has been a very frustrating 14 months waiting - like everyone else you feel like you are in limbo and cannot get on with anything. The Immigration Department is very rigid with the rules and the only person who can overturn them is the Minister. G

Hi David and Gill,

I didn't know you had replied to my message- I got no alert.

I hope your granddaughter is doing well. We have 3 grandchildren so I can appreciate how distressing that must have been. I'm amazed you were not given any priority under the circumstances.

Indeed it is very frustrating, I'm not looking forward to the wait. You must be greatly relieved you now have a case officer.

The very best of luck

MKF

I emailed the immi website to ask about the cost of changing from 143 to 173 due to CO's coming earlier now (we had hoped to have all the money saved by then but won't in the time for CO's ATM :wideeyed:)

I was told if I wanted to change from the 143 to 173 I would have to pay the first VAC in full again :swoon: .

Does anyone know, if I did change from the 143 to 173 (for the moment with changing back to the 143 at a later date in mind) would I keep my place on the list or would I have to start from the beginning again :confused:

And just one other question, forgive my ignorance, but exactly what does DIAC mean :goofy:

Phoebe

Hi Phoebe

Sorry if I confused you. I had understood that's what you meant when you talked about moving on from the 173 to the 143.

Just to clarify:

If you cancel one visa and switch to another you do have to pay the full initial VAC again. You mentioned switching from the 173 to the 143 at a later date. In this case, you would not need to 'switch' but having been granted the 173, you would just apply for the 143 at a smaller initial VAC of 235.

I do not think you will go to the back of the queue again if you switch from the 143 to the 173. We switched from the 103 to the 173 and kept our place in the queue.

Hi Phoebe

Sorry if I confused you. I had understood that's what you meant when you talked about moving on from the 173 to the 143.

Just to clarify:

If you cancel one visa and switch to another you do have to pay the full initial VAC again. You mentioned switching from the 173 to the 143 at a later date. In this case, you would not need to 'switch' but having been granted the 173, you would just apply for the 143 at a smaller initial VAC of 235.

I do not think you will go to the back of the queue again if you switch from the 143 to the 173. We switched from the 103 to the 173 and kept our place in the queue.

Appreciate your reply thanks :wink:

I've emailed DIAC will let PIO know what comes back they are usually good at answering :cute:

Phoebe

Yes, unfortunately: Audie, whose dependent daughter has medical/disablement issues, I believe. Last time I heard, she was pondering an appeal to the Minister for Immigration.

Mike

PS: I've been offline for a bit – somehow the email alerts stopped coming. Nice to be back in a relatively freewheeling forum (compared to BE!).

Congrats to all who have been making fast progress; by this reckoning, our application will be top of the queue in a very few months.

Hi Mike

Mine keeps doing that so I always leave the last e mail alert in my Inbox so I know how long it has been since the last login. Suprising how time flies and you are looking at catching up 3 or 4 days

regards

pete

PS looked in on the other site earlier and they are still snapping at each other, glad we are all open minded here.

I tried a brief conversation but didn't feel very welcome - the Mods gave some useful comments but others were very unhelpful. Think I'll stay here for a while.

Haven't been on for a while and amazed to see more Visas granted and COs coming sooner than I expected.

Yes well here goes this is my first time on this site.

Can anyo e tell me if you can apply for a contributory

Aged parent visa whilst living in the uk if so does anyone know a good one in England.

You must be onshore (in Australia) to apply for a Contributory Aged Parent visa.

Best regards.

Hi Alan, Could I pick your brains please, We have a house in UK which is being let at the moment. If we come here on a CPV and then after 6 months if we sell the house because maybe priced have risen or better exchange rate what is the deal on having to pay tax on the sale of my house. Many thanks

Dave

Hello Dave.

Assuming this is not a former main residence being sold, and you are in Australia on a 143 visa (not a 173 - the 173 is a temporary visa, with different tax consequences for overseas capital gains):

* No CGT in the UK assuming sold in a UK tax year when never resident or ordinarily resident, assuming you don't resume residency (or ordinary residence) within 5 complete tax years of departure.

* CGT arises in Australia, with reference to the value of the property at the date of the commencement of tax residency and the exchange rate at the same date. Sale proceeds (after allowable costs of sale) to be converted into A$'s using the exchange rate at the date of sale. Disposal date for CGT purposes is the date of the contract (assuming unconditional), not completion. No CGT discount available as you have not owned the property for more than 12 months since you became a tax resident.

Hope this helps.

Feel able to contact me if you want any formal assistance with tax.

I tried a brief conversation but didn't feel very welcome - the Mods gave some useful comments but others were very unhelpful. Think I'll stay here for a while.

Haven't been on for a while and amazed to see more Visas granted and COs coming sooner than I expected.

That what happens when you move to the 'Dark Side'. :animal-bat:

It may not of been clear but most people have used the bank account of their son or daughter to hold funds that need to be transfered out again to make visa payments as they can control the accounts.

It has been posted before that the Oz tax people will not place an extra tax on our off-spring if they can see the money has been transfered for the purpose of paying our visa. :cool:

Hello Dave.

Assuming this is not a former main residence being sold, and you are in Australia on a 143 visa (not a 173 - the 173 is a temporary visa, with different tax consequences for overseas capital gains):

* No CGT in the UK assuming sold in a UK tax year when never resident or ordinarily resident, assuming you don't resume residency (or ordinary residence) within 5 complete tax years of departure.

* CGT arises in Australia, with reference to the value of the property at the date of the commencement of tax residency and the exchange rate at the same date. Sale proceeds (after allowable costs of sale) to be converted into A$'s using the exchange rate at the date of sale. Disposal date for CGT purposes is the date of the contract (assuming unconditional), not completion. No CGT discount available as you have not owned the property for more than 12 months since you became a tax resident.

Hope this helps.

Feel able to contact me if you want any formal assistance with tax.

Hi Allen.

Sorry to be a bit thick, but I didn't quite understand your reply:huh: We are trying to sell out main residence and leave the money in the UK when we move. We have had our visa since Sept 10. I understand we will pay UK tax on the intererst accrued but when we move the money to buy an Aus house in the next couple of years depending on the exchange rate, where do we stand with tax in Aus ?

Sandy

Hi Allen.

Sorry to be a bit thick, but I didn't quite understand your reply:huh: We are trying to sell out main residence and leave the money in the UK when we move. We have had our visa since Sept 10. I understand we will pay UK tax on the intererst accrued but when we move the money to buy an Aus house in the next couple of years depending on the exchange rate, where do we stand with tax in Aus ?

Sandy

Can of worms warning. :chatterbox:

Appreciate your reply thanks :wink:

I've emailed DIAC will let PIO know what comes back they are usually good at answering :cute:

Phoebe

They did reply but just gave me a phone number in Oz to ring :swoon:

So what do I do now.......just wait for a CO and ask their advise, I'm paying enough to Oz without paying for their phone lines as well :wacko:

Unless someone here knows :biggrin: I asked DIAC if we could change from 143 to 173 for financial reasons and would we keep our place in the Q or do we have to start over :arghh:

Phoebe

So what do I do now.......just wait for a CO and ask their advise, I'm paying enough to Oz without paying for their phone lines as well :wacko:

Unless someone here knows :biggrin: I asked DIAC if we could change from 143 to 173 for financial reasons and would we keep our place in the Q or do we have to start over :arghh:

Phoebe

Hi Phoebe

It's actually very difficult to get anything other than a standard reply from them by email. I think the people who answer the queries don't want to say too much as they don't have access to your specific file in case they give out the wroing information. I had to be persistent and email them three times with my query about where I stood in the queue when switching from the 103 to the 173. I had to point out, very politley of course, that they hadn't answered my question and I was told to ring. I was actually given a name and number to ring and when I managed to get through the people on the other end were very polite and helpful and the lady I eventually spoke to was extremely nice and helpful.

If you have been given a name and number it might be worth ringing. However, I will stick my neck out and say that you will definitely not lose your place in the queue. If this is the case when switching from the 103 to the 173 I am sure it is certainly the case when switching from the 143 to the 173 which is in effect the same visa. I think all the parent visas are queued together according to date of lodgment and all that happens with the 103 is that it is then put in another queue as they don't have a visa to grant. However, I am pretty sure that you will have to do all the form filling again and also pay the initial VAC.

Phoebe

Hi Phoebe,

Would it be possible to ask your daughter to telephone DIAC as its only a general question and wouldnt involve actually naming you. Please dont wait until you get a CO as it will be too late by then.

I`m still waiting for the migration agents register people in Australia to do their investigations on my migration agent before we make our next move on whether or not to switch from 173 to 143. We believe, amongst other things, that she gave us wrong information. Oh, its all good fun (not!)

Cheers, Val:biglaugh:

Hi Phoebe,

Would it be possible to ask your daughter to telephone DIAC as its only a general question and wouldnt involve actually naming you. Please dont wait until you get a CO as it will be too late by then.

I`m still waiting for the migration agents register people in Australia to do their investigations on my migration agent before we make our next move on whether or not to switch from 173 to 143. We believe, amongst other things, that she gave us wrong information. Oh, its all good fun (not!)

Cheers, Val:biglaugh:

Thanks girls :biggrin:

Yes that's an idea get my daughter to ring so silly when you dont think of the obvious :goofy:

Phoebe

Ok thanks for nothing. I understood this site is for help and info, but obviously only for some, such as panman ,but not all then.:huh:

Bit harsh yomvard.

Alan has answered lots of questions on here but he is in business also. I posted the 'can of worms warning' because it has been covered lots of times on PomsinOz so the information is on here somewhere. :wubclub:

Your first question seems to fit us, we have a house to sell, we expect we will leave the money in the UK when we move to Oz after it's sale.

We can either ask for the interest to be paid gross in the UK or pay tax on the interest in the UK either way we will declare the interest in Oz and they will either tax us or allow the UK tax to stand with no more to pay.

When we bring the money over to Oz to buy a house at that time we do not expect to pay any further tax.

Phoebe

Phoebe, if you need to ring a landline number in Oz from a landline number in the UK dial 0844 200 4040 then the Oz number and the call will be at 00.5p (1/2p) per minute.

If you need to phone a mobile in Oz dial 0844 428 9898 and then the Oz number and the call will cost 4p per minute.

These codes do sometime change but they are what I am currently using. I use this site to check for cheaper rates and also for different countries. :wubclub:

International CallChecker: finds the cheapest way to call any country