Guest guest36187

Thank you for your thoughts Phoebe, dad's condition is still very changeable. He had gone in for a routine urology operation and then he got the dread blood infection and went down hill very quickly, they are still not sure which way this will go.

At least half of the people on I.C.U. seem to have a similiar problem and his doctor said people in their 80s seem to either have a heart attack or get a blood infection.

I really don't think the risk of the operation was pointed out to dad but this is not really what this thread is for.:no:

We got our passports returned today with the all important red sticker but it's all a bit of a damp squid at the moment.

Regards Les

Hi there

Sorry to hear about your Dad it must be so hard for you.

We also got our passports back today with our nice visa stickers, we have 15 wks to go before we leave for the Gold Coast.

Hope things are a bit better for you soon

Wilma x

Hi Steve, we can't think of renting as we need our house for work, when that sells work stops.

My sister who lives in Loddon says the house prices have dropped around her area but down here we were surprised at what 2 agents said ask (more than we expected) but the only offer so far is more than 10% off from someone who has not even got a buyer for their house. :chatterbox:

We had a quiet bottle of wine last night and because my dad is very ill in I.C.U. Colchester the only people who know we have the visa is our sons and the internet poms.

Hi Les,

I'm so sorry to hear about your dad, such a difficult time for you all.

my thoughts are with you

Katie

hi all

Les I am so sorry to hear of your worries regarding your Father.

Matt - hoping to see you both in May and congrats on getting a job so quickly. Hope to see you too Phoebe, we can extol the virtues of our grandchildren!

Catherine and I areleaving for Australia on 20 April . No change in status I am afraid but at least we are able to go for a while and spend time with my grandaughter and also welcome a new grandson in June...............should be fun and busy!!

congrats to all who have received visas and those who have just got COs. Our CO was just amaxzing - if it had been up to her we'd be living in Oz by now .

thanks Steve for keeping me 'live', one day MAYBE I will be there with a red star!!

take care everyone

audie and catherine

Which area are you going to?

Phoebe

Guest mombie58@hotmail.com
Which area are you going to?

Phoebe

hi Phoebe

We are going to the gold coast, my daughter Heather lives in Carrara and Catherine goes to a programme at robina town centre twice a week...................where will you be? Heather has a 14 month old baby girl and is expecting little boy in June. I can't wait!!

audie

hi Phoebe

We are going to the gold coast, my daughter Heather lives in Carrara and Catherine goes to a programme at robina town centre twice a week...................where will you be? Heather has a 14 month old baby girl and is expecting little boy in June. I can't wait!!

audie

The Gold Coast is our target too :biggrin: my daughter Emma lives in Varsity lakes very near to Robina, we have 2 grand daughters Ella 6 and Libby 4, she is expecting her 3rd baby in 20 days, it is also a boy but only her and I know :jiggy:

They went out in 2007 when the girls were only 3 and 10 months, we have only managed to go out there twice, Emma and the girls came here last year in November when my son got married.

It's beautiful out there but a difficult decision with our son still here :confused:, we have paid the first VAC got the acknowledgement beginning of September 2010 and are going for 8 weeks to do a recci for work housing etc. We are hoping this visit will give us a clearer view on wether it is do-able for us :eek:

Phoebe

We are going to Oz in 4 weeks on a 3 month visitors visa (same one we have always used). Is there anything we have to do different this time at immigration etc in Oz having applyied for our CPV143 :wideeyed: as in do we have to inform an officials :confused:

Just dont want any nasty surprises when we arrive at 1.20am after a very very long journey :arghh:

Phoebe

We are going to Oz in 4 weeks on a 3 month visitors visa (same one we have always used). Is there anything we have to do different this time at immigration etc in Oz having applyied for our CPV143 :wideeyed: as in do we have to inform an officials :confused:

Just dont want any nasty surprises when we arrive at 1.20am after a very very long journey :arghh:

Phoebe

Hi Phoebe, No, we just showed our passports and they let us straight through! I even had loads of sweets and snacks and chocolates in my case and I typed everything on a list and handed to the guy and he waved us right out the door! I bet we were no longer than ten minutes from getting to the carousel to the exit doors.

Might you have any room in your luggage for me? I am missing my grandaughter so much it hurts! Skype is ok but you cant squeeze them, can you!

Have a fab trip and do some serious fact finding for all us parents in waiting please!

All the best, Val x

Phoebe

We were in Adelaide in January and February - no problems with our holiday visa either. Hopefully our next trip will be the one-way one. Waiting time for CO seems a couple of months earlier now too ......... so maybe by this time next year

Have a great time Phoebe.

Know what you mean Val - those hugs are precious and although Skype is a godsend it doesn't take away all the pain. What is your timescale - I see you are a couple of months behind us on the tracker? These forums do help pass the waiting time don't they?

We are going to Oz in 4 weeks on a 3 month visitors visa (same one we have always used).

Phoebe

Hello Phoebe

Just a quick question for you (if you don't mind me asking?).

Do you stay with your family for the whole 3 months or do you rent somewhere, or go off for weeks?

I only ask because we are going out again later this year, end of October to January, and we don't want to 'impose' on our daughter and s.i.l, but we do want to see them as much as possible. She assures us we are 'no trouble' and are more than welcome to stay the whole time, but I still wonder. Want to be there to help, and to see only grandson, who we won't have seen for a year!

Reading this back, I sound very paranoid, but I just wondered what other Mums/Grandmas/Daughters think?????

Cheers Pam

Hello Phoebe

Just a quick question for you (if you don't mind me asking?).

Do you stay with your family for the whole 3 months or do you rent somewhere, or go off for weeks?

I only ask because we are going out again later this year, end of October to January, and we don't want to 'impose' on our daughter and s.i.l, but we do want to see them as much as possible. She assures us we are 'no trouble' and are more than welcome to stay the whole time, but I still wonder. Want to be there to help, and to see only grandson, who we won't have seen for a year!

Reading this back, I sound very paranoid, but I just wondered what other Mums/Grandmas/Daughters think?????

Cheers Pam

Hi Pam

We usually go for 4 weeks and stay with them but take ourselves off at the beginning of the 3rd week for a couple of nights to give them (and us) some space :biggrin:

We are going for 8 weeks this time and had been offered a granny flat from extended family for the duration which was great as they only have a 3 bed house and girls have been doubled up into one room to make room for a nursery for the new baby who wont be more than 2 weeks old when we arrive but.........that all went pear shaped a few weeks ago so :goofy: so they have decided we will have to stay with them in the nursery as we are saving for the 2nd VAC :swoon: and it would cost a fortune to rent somewhere, we get on really well but I feel you do need to give them (and yourselves) a little space so we are planning to go off here and there for a couple of nights maybe 3 or 4 times over the course of the 8 weeks to break it up. Last time we used the ozzie site 'whatiff.com' it similar to our 'late rooms' so you can get some good deals midweek :wink:

My daughter and I are very close and get on really well with SIL but, just my opinion you do need to have a little time for yourselves and give them time to themselves :yes: last thing we want is to fall out :cute:

Hope this helps

Phoebe

Hi Phoebe

thanks for the quick reply. I have used wotif in the past and had some great bargains!

I did go see my daughter last year on my own, to see new grandson before he got too big (6 weeks old), and I ended up going to bed at 8.30 pleading tiredness, but just to give them time on their own!! After a few days of this, my daughter said please stay and keep s.i.l company as she wanted to go to bed early!!!! Can't win eh??

I'm sure you will think I'm mad, but I do envy you so much saving for your 2nd vac. I would go tomorrow, but OH isn't the same opinion and we would leave another daughter here with two other grandchildren. I am retiring from work next week and just feel time is now for a bit of an adventure???

Sorry, rambling now. Thank you for your thoughts. Will keep an eye on your progress. Enjoy your new grandchild.

Cheers pam

Hi Phoebe

thanks for the quick reply. I have used wotif in the past and had some great bargains!

I did go see my daughter last year on my own, to see new grandson before he got too big (6 weeks old), and I ended up going to bed at 8.30 pleading tiredness, but just to give them time on their own!! After a few days of this, my daughter said please stay and keep s.i.l company as she wanted to go to bed early!!!! Can't win eh??

I'm sure you will think I'm mad, but I do envy you so much saving for your 2nd vac. I would go tomorrow, but OH isn't the same opinion and we would leave another daughter here with two other grandchildren. I am retiring from work next week and just feel time is now for a bit of an adventure???

Sorry, rambling now. Thank you for your thoughts. Will keep an eye on your progress. Enjoy your new grandchild.

Cheers pam

We also have a son in UK married last year no grand children here as yet but I'm sure they will come in time then what :shocked: this is why it is so difficult, I think we are both 50/50 ATM which is another reason for this recci if we cant come back with a better average than that then it proberbly wont happen :twitcy: we paid the first VAC and took the chance so watch this space..........

Phoebe

We also have a son in UK married last year no grand children here as yet but I'm sure they will come in time then what :shocked: this is why it is so difficult, I think we are both 50/50 ATM which is another reason for this recci if we cant come back with a better average than that then it proberbly wont happen :twitcy: we paid the first VAC and took the chance so watch this space..........

Phoebe

Hi Phoebe,

It's such a tough decision to make when you leave a child behind, no matter how old & settled they are, you still feel guilty in 'abondoning' one & going to Oz for the other(s). I to have 2 daughters, one in Oz & one in Warwickshire. It helped me to make the decision in that if you dont give it a go you will always wonder what if, whereas if you go & dont like Oz /cant settle then you can ast least come back.

I know that the money is a very real issue, it is for me especially as I'm on my own & dare I say at our time of life, it's a huge amount of savings etc

Sometimes you just have to give things a go - life is soooooooooo short & It's 'our' time now

I'm spending my last month in the UK (May) with my daughter, spending some quality time with her but I know the final goodbye will be extremely hard but I also know that she understands why I'm going

I'm going to hand in my notice at work on Monday, I just keep taking a day at a time, all these milestones I'm slowly ticking off

Good luck & wishing you all the very best

Katie:arghh:

Hi Katie and Phoebe

Seems we are all in the same boat with offspring here and in Aus. You guys are just braver than me/us!!

Maybe after the 10 weeks over there at the end of the year, it will give us the push to go or settle?!

Like you Katie I am working my last week at work next week, so will have more flexibility from there on. (Not that I will get any pension, as I stayed at home with the children, then only paid the 'married womans stamp' when I did work and then spent the last few years looking after my aged Mum) I decided that money wasn't the main concern after my big brother who lives in the US had another major heart attack and it was the final reminder that NOW is the only time we have. Tomorrow we don't know about!!!

Good luck to both of you, I hope one day to be following in your footsteps........and Katie, once you actually hand in your notice, there is a huge sense of relief, enjoy it!!

Cheers ladies, Pam

We lodged our application for a Temporary 2 yrCPV in Oct 2010 using an Agent. We were told that we had been allocated a Case Worker just before Christmas but haven't heard anything yet. We were told that it would take about 12-14 months for it to come through. I know we will have to go for our Medicals before the visa is granted, but don't know when these usually take place. Is it towards the end of the process?.

Me and my husband Roy live in Ireland and are in our late 60's, so for anyone in the forum who thinks they are too old to move to Australia DON'T BELIEVE IT.

Yes its expensive to buy the 2yr visa and then the permanent one, its costing us about 70,000 euros including the 10yr bond, but it will be worth it to be with our children and grandchidren, and to live in a warm climate of course.

So good luck to all you Parents, save up like we have and just go for it.

Ann and Roy.

Hi Katie and Phoebe

Seems we are all in the same boat with offspring here and in Aus. You guys are just braver than me/us!!

Maybe after the 10 weeks over there at the end of the year, it will give us the push to go or settle?!

Like you Katie I am working my last week at work next week, so will have more flexibility from there on. (Not that I will get any pension, as I stayed at home with the children, then only paid the 'married womans stamp' when I did work and then spent the last few years looking after my aged Mum) I decided that money wasn't the main concern after my big brother who lives in the US had another major heart attack and it was the final reminder that NOW is the only time we have. Tomorrow we don't know about!!!

Good luck to both of you, I hope one day to be following in your footsteps........and Katie, once you actually hand in your notice, there is a huge sense of relief, enjoy it!!

Cheers ladies, Pam

Hi Pam

I am not pensionable age yet and with the changes I have another 5 years to wait now :wideeyed: but I was actually pleasantly surprised when I rang for a pension forecast, they told me that when you get family allowance you get 'credits' for staying at home and looking after your children so it's worth giving them a ring if you havnt already :biggrin:

Try this link and let us know how it goes, you may be pleasantly surprised too :yes:

Getting a State Pension forecast : Directgov - Pensions and retirement planning

Phoebe

We lodged our application for a Temporary 2 yrCPV in Oct 2010 using an Agent. We were told that we had been allocated a Case Worker just before Christmas but haven't heard anything yet. We were told that it would take about 12-14 months for it to come through. I know we will have to go for our Medicals before the visa is granted, but don't know when these usually take place. Is it towards the end of the process?.

Me and my husband Roy live in Ireland and are in our late 60's, so for anyone in the forum who thinks they are too old to move to Australia DON'T BELIEVE IT.

Yes its expensive to buy the 2yr visa and then the permanent one, its costing us about 70,000 euros including the 10yr bond, but it will be worth it to be with our children and grandchidren, and to live in a warm climate of course.

So good luck to all you Parents, save up like we have and just go for it.

Ann and Roy.

Hi guys

If you lodged the application in Oct 2010, you'll probably get a Case Officer in the autumn of this year, give or take a season (I think your agent has given you incorrect information). At the time your CO contacts you, you will be asked to get medicals etc done.

Good luck with it all!

Cheers

Steve

Hi Pam

Try this link and let us know how it goes, you may be pleasantly surprised too :yes:

Getting a State Pension forecast : Directgov - Pensions and retirement planning

Phoebe

Thanks for this Phoebe,

I actually became 'pensionable age' in January this year, although turned 60 last September.

I do get some pension, but in reality only enough for a couple of loaves of bread (no fish!).

Seems because I worked parttime at weekends selling houses and therefore had to pay a NI stamp, some of those credits got overridden. However the NI stamp was only the lower married womans one, so no pension credit came from them.

The pension people do make up to a certain basic level because of my husbands payments,

so we aren't destitute!

Sorry to have misled you by saying I get no pension, I do get some just not a lot.

I really appreciate you passing on the pension link though, it may be of help to others who are nearing retirement.

Thanks again, Pam

Hi everyone,

Just popped in as we have now been in Perth for a whirlwind 3 weeks and found out that if you apply for a seniors card before you apply for your driving licence you get it discounted possibly for 50%.

Also the first meeting up of the PIPS (Parents in Perth) happened last Thursday and lasted 5 hours. There really are some very nice people on this thread. Anyone else going to WA who wants some new friends - we are on Facebook as PIPS

Congratulations to all of you who have your visas recently it really is only the beginning.

Thanks for this Phoebe,

I actually became 'pensionable age' in January this year, although turned 60 last September.

I do get some pension, but in reality only enough for a couple of loaves of bread (no fish!).

Seems because I worked parttime at weekends selling houses and therefore had to pay a NI stamp, some of those credits got overridden. However the NI stamp was only the lower married womans one, so no pension credit came from them.

The pension people do make up to a certain basic level because of my husbands payments,

so we aren't destitute!

Sorry to have misled you by saying I get no pension, I do get some just not a lot.

I really appreciate you passing on the pension link though, it may be of help to others who are nearing retirement.

Thanks again, Pam

No worries :biglaugh: I'm sure it will be useful to someone.

I was only expecting about £25 per week but seems I'm due for the full amount, that was the pleasant surprise :yes:

Ok our pensions wont keep us but the way I'm looking at it is once we are due to our pensions me in 5 years and hubby in 10 :swoon: at least we would have the option of only working part time :biggrin: We would only be taking a small amount of money with us as we have to pay for the 2nd VAC partly from the house.

We have been looking at a lot of kit home companies and going to make appointments with a couple to have a look at them, obviously it involves having a piece of land to put it on but we think it will be the only way to own outright as we do now and negate the need to rent (in the long term) :wink:

We are hoping to see a planning officer while we are there to talk that through (my list is getting longer by the day) :goofy:. I will post anything I get that might be useful when I come back. Has anyone else gone this route :wideeyed:

Phoebe

:twitcy:Hi, So nice to see somebody else from Ireland going to OZ on a Parent Sponsored Visa.. We have one son living in Alice on a temp self sponsored regional visa. Our other son and family have PR and are moving in a few weeks to Melbourne. That will be our entire family in OZ.

We also plan to go on CPV, but to my knowledge we have to wait until my son has been there for 6 months before we can lodge.

Do you know how long it takes from lodgment until a case officer is assigned. We just want to get there ASAP. Is there any way of speeding it up? My husband and I are in our mid 50's.

It is indeed very expensive, but will be worth it.

If anybody has any tips please let us know. We just want out of here!!!

Cheers

MKF:twitcy:

Phoebe

Hi Phoebe

I may be wrong but I understand that you need to inform DIAC of any change in circumstances using the form provided for this. As you will be going to Australia, I think you probably just need to let them know. This is in case there are any developments with your visa application. I know you are not expecting a case officer till later but maybe just to be on the safe side.

:twitcy:Hi, So nice to see somebody else from Ireland going to OZ on a Parent Sponsored Visa.. We have one son living in Alice on a temp self sponsored regional visa. Our other son and family have PR and are moving in a few weeks to Melbourne. That will be our entire family in OZ.

We also plan to go on CPV, but to my knowledge we have to wait until my son has been there for 6 months before we can lodge.

Do you know how long it takes from lodgment until a case officer is assigned. We just want to get there ASAP. Is there any way of speeding it up? My husband and I are in our mid 50's.

It is indeed very expensive, but will be worth it.

If anybody has any tips please let us know. We just want out of here!!!

Cheers

MKF:twitcy:

Hi MFK

In order to sponsor you your son will need to prove that he is 'settled'. The guidance says this is normally around 2 years, but there is a lady on another thread who applied after her daughter had been in Oz for only 11 months. They look at whether your son owns property, has a permanent job, car and is part of the community etc. The current waiting time for a case officer has recently shortened from around 15 months to 12 months.

Hi MFK

In order to sponsor you your son will need to prove that he is 'settled'. The guidance says this is normally around 2 years, but there is a lady on another thread who applied after her daughter had been in Oz for only 11 months. They look at whether your son owns property, has a permanent job, car and is part of the community etc. The current waiting time for a case officer has recently shortened from around 15 months to 12 months.

Hi Linday,

That seems like a terribly long time to wait for a case officer. I wonder can you make a case for yourself, do they take any other conditions into consideration. eg We will have 100% of our family in Oz. I have Australian nursing registration and intend to work when I get there, and we are handing over a very large sum of money to get there!

MKF

Hi Phoebe

I may be wrong but I understand that you need to inform DIAC of any change in circumstances using the form provided for this. As you will be going to Australia, I think you probably just need to let them know. This is in case there are any developments with your visa application. I know you are not expecting a case officer till later but maybe just to be on the safe side.

I didnt realise that :eek: but until we talk to planning etc we dont know if that is the way to go, still, it's worht knowing so thanks :wink:

Is DIAC on the immi site :confused:

Phoebe