Guest guest36187

Hubby said that to me yesterday, why do I get the feeling the 'box' has been at work again :chatterbox:

As I understand it it's the amount you get on the UK that freezes at that amount and that's bed enough when we have worked all our lives :swoon:

Phoebe

????

Started on the sherry early today Phoebe? :biglaugh:

I have noticed lots of questions on various forums about the Aged Parent visa 804 whereby parents travel to Oz on a tourist visa and then apply onshore for the Aged Parent 804 visa. They are then granted a bridging visa till the 804 is granted. Presumably this is due to the economic situation/exchange rate etc.

My OH is asking why we are spending a load of money on the CPV and not going this route. I couldn't really answer properly, but (apart from the fact you have to be 65) I think it is something to do with not being entitled to full Medicare rights, plus the fact that if you failed the medical after a few years you would have to leave Australia. I am sure it can't be straightforward going this route or a lot more people would be doing it wouldn't they?

Can anyone shed any light on this? Just want to be reassured there is a good reason for spending such a huge amount of money. Hope I haven't opened another can of worms!

I have noticed lots of questions on various forums about the Aged Parent visa 804 whereby parents travel to Oz on a tourist visa and then apply onshore for the Aged Parent 804 visa. They are then granted a bridging visa till the 804 is granted. Presumably this is due to the economic situation/exchange rate etc.

My OH is asking why we are spending a load of money on the CPV and not going this route. I couldn't really answer properly, but (apart from the fact you have to be 65) I think it is something to do with not being entitled to full Medicare rights, plus the fact that if you failed the medical after a few years you would have to leave Australia. I am sure it can't be straightforward going this route or a lot more people would be doing it wouldn't they?

Can anyone shed any light on this? Just want to be reassured there is a good reason for spending such a huge amount of money. Hope I haven't opened another can of worms!

I would like to know too....so I think you just might have :twitcy:

Phoebe

I cant believe how close we are to getting our visas, we were in the final stage, we paid the money that all went through fine, were told we would probably hear early next week, then got a email from another CO saying he would be completing our visa but discovered that a police clearance had not been done for my Daughter who turned 16 last year so its on hold till we get it done.

He said he does not know why our CO never requested one but it has to be done which is fair enough, but its so frustrating.:arghh:

I cant believe how close we are to getting our visas, we were in the final stage, we paid the money that all went through fine, were told we would probably hear early next week, then got a email from another CO saying he would be completing our visa but discovered that a police clearance had not been done for my Daughter who turned 16 last year so its on hold till we get it done.

He said he does not know why our CO never requested one but it has to be done which is fair enough, but its so frustrating.:arghh:

Just shows they are fallable.......but extra strss you can do without :realmad:

Congratsd on it all though :wink:

Phoebe

I think it might be related to the fact that you have to join the non-CPV waiting list to get the aged parent visa - 20 years or so? If you're on a bridging visa, you would probably have visitor (not resident) status. As we get to advanced years, most of us will need good medical care, and I would guess that might have to be privately funded. Our reason for shelling out on the CPV is that we want to be able to come and go as we please when we are older, without having to fret about being refused entry on medical grounds, or about expiring visas.

Others may have better info on the Aged Parent Visa.

Best wishes

Steve

Sorry but I couldn't disagree more. I arrived in Oz in 2000 on 'Holiday' although with every intention of making an onshore application for permanent residency. It was essential that I made the application while in Australia, otherwise I would have had to go on the waiting list - ten years at the time of application - in the UK

I applied for an aged parent visa in August 2003 and I am now no.350 in the queue, this means that I should have residency next year or maybe 2011.

I am seventy now and during my long wait, my life here differs very little from the life I would have should I be a permanent resident. I have an Australian senior's card and the reciprocal agreement with the UK means that all my medical treatments are taken care of with the exception of the grant of the commonwealth HEALTH CARE card, this is not the same as a senior's card and whether or not it applies to us seems to be a bit of a grey area which I am looking into. Having this card would enable me to also get prescription medicine at the reduced senior's rate. By the way, another forum which I have been finding very useful is 'Poms in Adelaide' and even though I live in Queensland, most of the posts apply to me too.

As I say,I am finding very little difference in the two types of visas, contributory visa and non contributory visa except for the large amount of money I would have had to contribute had I chosen the former.

I certainly don't want to sound as if I am 'gloating' but I hope this post helps any parents who want to apply and are debating which visa to apply for. Personally I would definately go for the non-contributory parent's one

I absolutely love living here in Oz and there is no way in which I would want to return to the UK. Good luck to all of you parents who are thinking of settling here.:wink:

Dianne

Not many postings about the 804 Aged Parents Visa on the various message boards so it is good to find this one and particularly since it is so positive and upbeat.

Has nannadi or other contributors located further information regarding the COMMOMWEALTH HEALTH CARE CARD?

I must admit that this is the first I have heard of it.

Healthcare is certainly a primary issue for those of us senior enough to satisfy the age requirement for the Aged Parents Visa. A brief trawl of Health Insurance offered to bridging visa holders by Australian insurers yeilded figures of $AUD 5000 annual premium for a mature couple with no current health issues.................................a lot of money.

My research had suggested that a very minimum cover should be for Ambulance charges in Australia.

Has anyone any first hand knowledge of these issues?

Tony

As you surmise, a big risk with the onshore 804 strategy is the processing time and the consequences of the visa applicant/s suffering a major illness or condition while the visa application is being processed.

Consider the consequences of such an illness or condition arising, and the parent/s having to depart Australia.

Nevertheless, I know many choose to roll the dice, and to deal with any such medical issues as and when they arise.

Best regards.

Hi Les, yes our forms did say the same but underneath they said they just required police clearance from myself and my husband, my daughter was not mentioned till now.

I did think it was odd but figured because she had just turned 16 that why she was not included.

Wilma

Hi Les, yes our forms did say the same but underneath they said they just required police clearance from myself and my husband, my daughter was not mentioned till now.

I did think it was odd but figured because she had just turned 16 that why she was not included.

Wilma

Yes I can understand that's what has happened and it is good that you have shared your problem with everyone so it will be very unlikely to happen again.

I do hope they pull out the stops and get you back on track. :yes:

Hi everyone, was wondering if anyone can give me some advice?? Me and my family are emigrating soon and my parents are wanting to join us. When we first go over they are hoping to split their time between oz and the uk, 6 months here, 6 months there until we are more settled and then they are going to look into getting a visa. I am concerned as my mum is 68 this year and has type 2 diabetes and they are both slightly overweight, would this affect their chances? Would they fail the medical? Would they have to have medicals to come over for 6 months?

Sorry for all the questions, I think reality has hit me now our visa is nearly here and it would break my heart to leave them behind!! Any advice would be great!!

Hi everyone, was wondering if anyone can give me some advice?? Me and my family are emigrating soon and my parents are wanting to join us. When we first go over they are hoping to split their time between oz and the uk, 6 months here, 6 months there until we are more settled and then they are going to look into getting a visa. I am concerned as my mum is 68 this year and has type 2 diabetes and they are both slightly overweight, would this affect their chances? Would they fail the medical? Would they have to have medicals to come over for 6 months?

Sorry for all the questions, I think reality has hit me now our visa is nearly here and it would break my heart to leave them behind!! Any advice would be great!!

Hi

I assume you do know that for your parents to come to Oz you have to be permanant residents and they have to pass the BOF (Balance Of Family) test which simply means at least 50% of their children have to live in Oz :biggrin:

Thats said I am not as old as your mam but I have medical issues, the advice I have been given is to get a letter (no doubt she would have to pay for one) from the consultant or GP who looks after her basically saying her diabities is mananged with medication etc, I wouldnt think that slightly overweight wouldn't be an issue or half of us could just cancel now :biglaugh:

Look up as much info as you can and have a good look around the immi website : http://www.immi.gov.au/visawizard

I dont think meds would be an issue for 6 month visas but maybe someone else knows more about this.

Good Luck :wink:

Phoebe

Hi, Has anyone on here applied for the temporary 173 CPV and then changed their minds and asked DIAC to change the application to the 143 permanent one? Is it possible to do this? Would we be better to wait until we have a CO? Please, any help would be great as we think we might have done the wrong thing! Val

PS! Sorry MikenSueNW3, I have just read your question and its more or less the same as mine! Oh well, Hopefully we will both get the answer! I agree with you, we might as well just hand over the dosh and be done with it asap then we can start our new lives straight away! val

Hi, Has anyone on here applied for the temporary 173 CPV and then changed their minds and asked DIAC to change the application to the 143 permanent one? Is it possible to do this? Would we be better to wait until we have a CO? Please, any help would be great as we think we might have done the wrong thing! Val

Hello Val

It might be an idea to make an enquiry of the Parent Visa Centre, so that you have a reasonably official response. If you do, please post back if you get time to let us know what they said.

Best wishes

Steve

PS! Sorry MikenSueNW3, I have just read your question and its more or less the same as mine! Oh well, Hopefully we will both get the answer! I agree with you, we might as well just hand over the dosh and be done with it asap then we can start our new lives straight away! val

Hi

We were adamant we wanted the 173 first then 143 but after we looked at everything we decided to do just that hand the dosh over :twitcy: we felt the benefits were better i.e. because the 173 is temporary you dont get PR until you have the 143 so potentially adding up to 2 years (on top of the 10 years) before you are entitled to anything :swoon:

At the end of the day the difference in the cost is minimal so may as well get PR straight off and be done with it, that was just our feeling :wink:

Phoebe

Hello Val

It might be an idea to make an enquiry of the Parent Visa Centre, so that you have a reasonably official response. If you do, please post back if you get time to let us know what they said.

Best wishes

Steve

G'Day

In KL at the moment, on the way back to the UK. I will query PVC when I get back and de-jetlagged, and will let everyone know the answer – unless Val beats me to it!!

Mike

Guest sirmatt101

Hi all, we are still here and reading all the posts! :wacko:

We have just rented a house, move in Friday 25th. We thought that it would be quite difficult as we have no rental references here and no referees apart from family. So we just offered 6 months rent up front & wow top of the queue, easy!! :biggrin:

I am still looking for a job, an interview later this week, but meantime I managed to get on a 2 week, warehousing & fork truck course for free, being a permanent resident, unemployed and over 18! I would have had to pay about $600 to do my forklift licence as a UK one is not recognised here.

Good luck all those awaiting your visas, just some of the things to look forward to! :shocked:

I am looking forward to taking my Vege--te on brown sarnies to work everyday. :wink:

Cheers

Matt

Hi all, we are still here and reading all the posts! :wacko:

..... but meantime I managed to get on a 2 week, warehousing & fork truck course for free, being a permanent resident, unemployed and over 18! I would have had to pay about $600 to do my forklift licence as a UK one is not recognised here.

Cheers

Matt

So, SirMatt launches a 2 pronged attack on Brisbane warehouse.....

HeHeHe:laugh: