Guest guest36187

Thanks Fisher 1, that at least answers a couple of the issues, re allowable time lag between getting the green light and actually activating the visa and whether I could initially stay on the tourist visa. Hopefully some one else will be able to answer the residency issue. Many many thanks also for all your contributions over the time you have been waiting. They have been VERY helpful and informative, even if many of your experiences seemed very stressful! Always better to be forewarned.

Glad that all has now worked out for you. Enjoy your new lives in Australia!

Thanks Fisher 1, that at least answers a couple of the issues, re allowable time lag between getting the green light and actually activating the visa and whether I could initially stay on the tourist visa. Hopefully some one else will be able to answer the residency issue. Many many thanks also for all your contributions over the time you have been waiting. They have been VERY helpful and informative, even if many of your experiences seemed very stressful! Always better to be forewarned.

Glad that all has now worked out for you. Enjoy your new lives in Australia!

Hi Angela, and good luck, having read what Fisher1 has put, and being that he is ahead of me in the process, I cant add anything of use for you.

Im not 100% certain, but I think to be a permanent resident, ie Oz citizenship (if this is what your asking), is 4 years, but please don't quote me on that. I think I have read that previously on the forums.

Hi Angela, and good luck, having read what Fisher1 has put, and being that he is ahead of me in the process, I cant add anything of use for you.

Im not 100% certain, but I think to be a permanent resident, ie Oz citizenship (if this is what your asking), is 4 years, but please don't quote me on that. I think I have read that previously on the forums.

Thanks for replying Alan, but no, it's not citizenship that I'm talking about. It's the issue of when I would be classed as "resident" in Australia as a pose to the uk. From past experience of moving to Fance then back to the uk I know that this is very important for tax liability, house and car insurance, medical entitlements etc etc

Thanks for replying Alan, but no, it's not citizenship that I'm talking about. It's the issue of when I would be classed as "resident" in Australia as a pose to the uk. From past experience of moving to Fance then back to the uk I know that this is very important for tax liability, house and car insurance, medical entitlements etc etc

Hi Angela,

On grant of your 143 and activation when you enter Australia you are a Permanent Resident with full Medicare.

Cheers

Phil

Hi Angela,

On grant of your 143 and activation when you enter Australia you are a Permanent Resident with full Medicare.

Cheers

Phil

Many Thanks Phil. Do you know whether it is at the same point that I then become liable for Australian tax and am considered no longer resident in the Uk for tax and all other purposes? Or does some of it depend on whether I still have my main home and belongings in the Uk?

Permanent residence and citizenship are two very different things.

Permanent residence is when you hold a PR visa. Citizenship requires you to live in Australia for 4 years at least, and is a whole separate ballgame

Game changer for us yesterday-- we managed to sell our Spanish villa something we didn't expect to do so quickly. The dilemma now is where do we go while we wait the 18 months for our 143. No longer have any ties with the Uk and don't want to rent in Spain. We were thinking of extending our next visit to Australia to a day under 6 months so that we wouldn't be tax resident, then hopping across to NZ as we are allowed to stay 6 months on a UK passport and then coming back to Oz for the remaining period before our visas are granted.

Does anyone know is this allowable? has anyone done something similar, I would be interested to know of any pluses or minuses you can think of.

Also as we applied offshore for a 143 do you have to be out of the country when they actually grant the visa. If that is so how would we work that. I assume the case officer asks for the big dosh and then there is a short period before the visa is granted. Anyone know what the normal period is?

Any advice would be most helpful as we need to change our game plan

As each day dawns, and still no case officer, we are beginning to resign ourselves to having to go 'offshore' after we arrive in Perth on 2nd June, to comply with the regulations around the 143 Visa. Does anyone know if going on a 12 day cruise to Asia, constitutes going 'offshore'?

Has anyone else done this? Just curious :daydreaming:

I can ask my MA, but wondered if anyone else had done this.

Yes any where off shore we looked at flights to Bali last year at this time was about $520 for 2 from Perth we needed to go off shore to extend our visa Lorraine

Edited by HarrisL16
Wrong information given

Many Thanks Phil. Do you know whether it is at the same point that I then become liable for Australian tax and am considered no longer resident in the Uk for tax and all other purposes? Or does some of it depend on whether I still have my main home and belongings in the Uk?

I'd quite like to know this as well - we still have to go home and sell our house. I had imagined we were liable for Australian tax once we took up residence here, and that until then we would carry on being UK tax payers. Can anyone clarify this? Thanks, Kath.

Hello everyone

Many Congratulations to you @maisiedaisy

we are stuck from almost last 1 month

they told me us to redo our police clearance

yesterday was our appointment in passport office. We think ill take 10 more days to get police clearance

after that we will sumbit pcc to immi.

Lets see what will happen ?

Hi Harvi. As far as i know, you and a few other people somehow were able to request for medical HAP and AOS done just a year after you guys lodged your applications. That really suprised me. Just wonder how did you do it? might as well follow u guys to make the process quicker maybe

Hi Harvi. As far as i know, you and a few other people somehow were able to request for medical HAP and AOS done just a year after you guys lodged your applications. That really suprised me. Just wonder how did you do it? might as well follow u guys to make the process quicker maybe

Hi Tien, we asked by emailing IMMI if we could have a HAP number, initially they said no, but we asked again, and they said as we were getting close to being allocated a case officer, we could have the HAP numbers. As for the AOS, we haven't asked or done anything on this part of the process. I hope this helps a bit

I'd quite like to know this as well - we still have to go home and sell our house. I had imagined we were liable for Australian tax once we took up residence here, and that until then we would carry on being UK tax payers. Can anyone clarify this? Thanks, Kath.

It seems as though I will be following in your footsteps Kath, so I will learn from your experience!!! Hoping desperately that it all proves to be incredibly straightforward!

It seems as though I will be following in your footsteps Kath, so I will learn from your experience!!! Hoping desperately that it all proves to be incredibly straightforward!

Haha I dont think anything about this process is that straighforward... hence i thinnk other posters have misunderstood your question about residence. I understandthat it takes four years residence to appy for citizenship. I also understand that once you have the visa you are entitled to become a permenan resident, with the civic responsibilies (ie tax etc) that implies. however, after the visa has been granted, you have five years in which to make the big move, during which period you can flit back and forth as often as you want. What i would like to find out (and I think this was Angela's point as well) is what your civic status is during said flitting. Are you deemed to be British resident (this is what I believe to be the case) if you are still spending most of your time in the UK - or are you deemed to be an Australian resident from the word go? if the latter is the case, then do you need to fill in an Australian tax return or simlar? if anyone can clarify this i would be really grateful.

i am working on the assumption that i am UK resident (which indeed I am) until i take up my option for permenant residence in oz, and am working on the assumption that they know where I am if they need any info about my affairs... advice anyone?

Anybody got any idea on the criterion used as to whether IMMI ask for Form 80 or not? I've seen mention I think that some people have escaped this requirement.

Hi Sadge

Not sure how they decide who does and who doesn't need to fill in the dreaded Form 80 but looking at most of the signatures on here I think we all have. Someone shout out if I'm wrong.

maisie

Haha I dont think anything about this process is that straighforward... hence i thinnk other posters have misunderstood your question about residence. I understandthat it takes four years residence to appy for citizenship. I also understand that once you have the visa you are entitled to become a permenan resident, with the civic responsibilies (ie tax etc) that implies. however, after the visa has been granted, you have five years in which to make the big move, during which period you can flit back and forth as often as you want. What i would like to find out (and I think this was Angela's point as well) is what your civic status is during said flitting. Are you deemed to be British resident (this is what I believe to be the case) if you are still spending most of your time in the UK - or are you deemed to be an Australian resident from the word go? if the latter is the case, then do you need to fill in an Australian tax return or simlar? if anyone can clarify this i would be really grateful.

i am working on the assumption that i am UK resident (which indeed I am) until i take up my option for permenant residence in oz, and am working on the assumption that they know where I am if they need any info about my affairs... advice anyone?

There is an Australian tax agent on the Money and Finance forum, who can advise on these questions. Take a look here: http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/money-finance/238040-tax-help-australia.html. There are lots of individual threads on that forum as well, all very helpful.

I don't recognise 'the concept of "civic status."

Your liability to tax in Australia as a tax resident of Australia is a function of when you move to Australia with the intention of living there.

Have a look at ATO Ruling 98/17 for more details (Google: ATO Ruling 98/17).

Best regards.

I don't recognise 'the concept of "civic status."

Your liability to tax in Australia as a tax resident of Australia is a function of when you move to Australia with the intention of living there.

Have a look at ATO Ruling 98/17 for more details (Google: ATO Ruling 98/17).

Best regards.

Sorry you didn't understand me Alan, in saying 'civic status' I was trying to be really clear and to differentiate between having the right to permenant residence and actually doing it! You have confirmed what I had assumed, so thank you for that - I will worry about Australian obligations when I am actually in Australia.