Guest guest36187

Hi Veronique,

We validated our visa in 2012 and we still don't yet live there! We have been over a couple of times on holiday but you don't have to register for medicare as until you are a permanent resident, you will be treated as per the reciprocal agreement if you need care or treatment. I still take out holiday insurance though.

We have also tried to get a tax file number but, again, no need till we are actually living there.

Having just reduced our house again this week, we are hopeful of a few viewings and with luck an offer! Ideally we'll be there by July!

Enjoy your validation trip - a good opportunity to do more research!

Regards, Val

Good luck with the house selling Val, I truly hope you get some positive viewing soon - keeping everything crossed for you x

maisie

Good morning Veronica - Congratulations on obtaining your visa - Can I ask when you actually lodged your first application (ie paid 1st instalment). when it is allocated to an officer how long does that take? - did you encounter any problems? Many thanks

Good luck with the House Sale, maybe we should get started with Estate Agents

Hi all, we are within 5 weeks before we can actually submit application. We have one son living in USA, Daughter living in Melbourne, last Son emigrating to Melbourne in 5 weeks "all booked" As soon as he lands and gets the stamp in his passport, that will be the last bit of proof we need for formal application.

As we were there for Christmas it seemed a good idea prior, to open a bank account, whilst there it was activated which enabled us to start transferring some funds ready for the visa charges when they arrive, one good point to mention is that the NAB are paying a regular interest 3% net and Moneycorp transfer for free, at well above travel money rate.

Oh how good it feels to be a right balanced family lol.

Hi GeoffandGill, I think that I'm correct that when your son arrives in 5 weeks, I don't think that would be classed as "settled". Before sending off your application I would make sure that you pass the Balance of Family requirements. My understanding is that they consider it to be around 2 years.

Sorry to be the bearer of potential bad news but even the first VAC isn't cheap and there are no refunds. It might be worth giving a MARA registered migration agent a call to check.

Hope everything turns out ok for you.

Regarss, Val

Good morning Veronica - Congratulations on obtaining your visa - Can I ask when you actually lodged your first application (ie paid 1st instalment). when it is allocated to an officer how long does that take? - did you encounter any problems? Many thanks

Hi Sylvia

My OH (Barry001) posted our timeline .It's on page 483 of this thread and should be of help to you

cheers

Hi GeoffandGill, I think that I'm correct that when your son arrives in 5 weeks, I don't think that would be classed as "settled". Before sending off your application I would make sure that you pass the Balance of Family requirements. My understanding is that they consider it to be around 2 years.

Sorry to be the bearer of potential bad news but even the first VAC isn't cheap and there are no refunds. It might be worth giving a MARA registered migration agent a call to check.

Regarss, Val

Val, am interested in definition of "settled". My son is returning to Brisbane in October, permanently. He went to boarding school and university here. He will be bringing back a British partner and their two small children, who will both be dual nationals of course. She will get permanent residency on arrival, if all goes well, and citizenship as soon as possible. She will want to sponsor her parents (they meet the balance of family test) as soon as possible My son and partner will be doing all the normal stuff, including kids in child care, joining a church, buying a house etc etc. Will they necessarily have to wait for two years after she gets permanent residence to sponsor her parents? After all, my son will be resettling rather than settling.

Val, am interested in definition of "settled". My son is returning to Brisbane in October, permanently. He went to boarding school and university here. He will be bringing back a British partner and their two small children, who will both be dual nationals of course. She will get permanent residency on arrival, if all goes well, and citizenship as soon as possible. She will want to sponsor her parents (they meet the balance of family test) as soon as possible My son and partner will be doing all the normal stuff, including kids in child care, joining a church, buying a house etc etc. Will they necessarily have to wait for two years after she gets permanent residence to sponsor her parents? After all, my son will be resettling rather than settling.

Hi Roberta,

Sorry, I don't know how that would work. Again, I would suggest contacting a migration agent. I think citizenship takes around fours years to obtain. Obviously your son will have an Australian passport but his wife might not "settle". $100,000 is a lot of money for her parents to lay out if she wants to return to the UK. My advice would be to have a word with an agent, even if you have to pay a small fee for their avice.

Hope it all works out,

Regards, Val

Guest Petina

Regarss, Val

Yes, I think you are right Vava, we were told that we had to wait 2 years, once our son arrived. However, things change so, as you say, it is worth checking with a migration agent. Things are moving (?) for us, done police checks (UK and OZ) and going for medicals next week.

Regarss, Val

Hi Vava,

Greatly appreciate your comments but hopefully we are being guided by "The Emigration Group" who were directly responsible for obtaining my Son's and his Wife's visa. They said that all our papers are in order with the exception of him landing in Oz, all he needs is proof of accommodation address and or driving licence, so fingers crossed ?

I will check with them though cos I don't want to be saying to you " should have listened to "Vava"

Guest Petina

Good luck Geoff and Gill! We opened a bank account with WestPac and use MoneyCorp and Halo. Very pleased with all three!

Hi Vava,

Greatly appreciate your comments but hopefully we are being guided by "The Emigration Group" who were directly responsible for obtaining my Son's and his Wife's visa. They said that all our papers are in order with the exception of him landing in Oz, all he needs is proof of accommodation address and or driving licence, so fingers crossed ?

I will check with them though cos I don't want to be saying to you " should have listened to "Vava"

Hi again Geoffandgill,

So, is the Emigration Group acting for you, your son or both parties? Even when my daughter had been a permanent resident for over 2 years, she still had to prove "settled status" by giving them evidence of their lives there - even copies of vet bill for the dog!

My friend in NSW began the process of a Parent Visa and 12 months in, her son in Perth came back to the UK - she still had a son in Sydney but the other 3 sons were in the UK. Five years down the line and she is now in Oz as her youngest applied for and obtained a skills visa. She had to wait a long time to prove Balance of Family and "settled" status.

Hope you get the answer you want.....

Regards,

Val

Hi all, just had it confirmed, The sponsor " our daughter " has to be in the country for min 2 years, our sons move is purely putting us "in balance"

Wouldn't it be great if the UK had such rules !

Hi, That was my understanding of the situation and was just checking on the OZ government website when your message came in

Good luck

Barry

Hi all, just had it confirmed, The sponsor " our daughter " has to be in the country for min 2 years, our sons move is purely putting us "in balance"

Wouldn't it be great if the UK had such rules !

Oh that is good news! Its always better to check as DIAB change the rules quite often. Good luck on your application journey and yes, UK would have more money in its coffers if they charged more for visas! I think the top price for a visa into the UK now is around £1880 per application NOT person! Don't get me started on benefits!

Regards, Val

Hi Vava,

Presumably you will be sponsored by your daughter who is already settled in Melbourne?

Yes, I think you are right Vava, we were told that we had to wait 2 years, once our son arrived. However, things change so, as you say, it is worth checking with a migration agent. Things are moving (?) for us, done police checks (UK and OZ) and going for medicals next week.

Hi Petina

Do you mind me asking what your timeline is please?

Regards

maisie

Guest Petina

Hi Maisie

We applied 26th August, 2013; payment taken 8th October, 2013; acknowledgement date 26th November, 2013; Form 80 submitted to Migration Agent in December. As mentioned above, we have done Oz police check, about to do the UK police check and will go for our medicals next week. Assuming all is ok with the medicals, (husband has had two hip replacements) we should hear about June (again, assuming that there are no more delays!). Best advice to give is: submit your application and payment, fill out the dreaded Form 80 in rough and then forget about it until the next stage! Otherwise it could be very frustrating....

We are heading for Queensland. Where are you heading?

Regards

Petina

Edited by Petina

Hi all,

the courier picked up our visa application today and their site gives an estimated arrival time as this Thursday. I feel so excited but won't feel happy til I know it is safely there and the payment has been taken. I am going to call my credit card provider to get them to note that a charge is going to be made from Australia so they don't refuse it. In others experience how long was it from receipt in Perth to the charge being taken? Thanks in advance for your responses.

Hi Maisie

We applied 26th August, 2013; payment taken 8th October, 2013; acknowledgement date 26th November, 2013; Form 80 submitted to Migration Agent in December. As mentioned above, we have done Oz police check, about to do the UK police check and will go for our medicals next week. Assuming all is ok with the medicals, (husband has had two hip replacements) we should hear about June (again, assuming that there are no more delays!). Best advice to give is: submit your application and payment, fill out the dreaded Form 80 in rough and then forget about it until the next stage! Otherwise it could be very frustrating....

Regards

Petina

Thanks for the information Petina, as you can see below, we have already lodged and are champing at the bit to get there LOL. We're off to Queensland too - Bribie Island where our daughter, son-in-law and two beautiful grandchildren live.

So it looks like you're about 19 months in if my maths are correct?? We would be 19 months in this coming November, so wanna be out there for Christmas or at least the new year! Fingers crossed for all living in 'Limbo Land' (Vava's brilliant description) :-)

Best wishes

maisie

Hi all,

the courier picked up our visa application today and their site gives an estimated arrival time as this Thursday. I feel so excited but won't feel happy til I know it is safely there and the payment has been taken. I am going to call my credit card provider to get them to note that a charge is going to be made from Australia so they don't refuse it. In others experience how long was it from receipt in Perth to the charge being taken? Thanks in advance for your responses.

Hi Ruth, It's exciting isn't it when you send off the application and then if you're anything like us, you'll sit and impatiently wait for it's arrival LOL

Welcome to the waiting room - lots of friends here happy to share their experiences :-)

Lots of luck to you

maisie

Guest geordie joe
Hi all,

Hi Ruth

welcome to the roller coaster, exciting times indeed. I would endorse contacting your credit card company, something we did but they still managed to decline the payment although we managed to sort it in the end after a few calls to the bank and swapping emails with the immi department. A number of us applied at similar times last June/July and the wait was rather painful as you can see on our time lines at the bottom of our posts, this was probably due to the high number of applications submitted for the non contributory visa which was due to close. However I believe they are starting to catch up with the back log so hopefully your wait for confirmation of lodgement and payment won't be as painful.

regards

Joe

Hi Maisie

Regards

Petina

hi,

i will be heading for the Sunshine Coast.

Guest Petina

Assuming that there are no more delays, and that we hear in June, it will have taken 22 months!

Nice place Bribie Island. Our son lives in Brisbane with his family, and daughter and her family in Helensvale. Will be good to finally get out there and be with them. We have to sell the house before we can go, so fingers crossed that it sells quickly. I think the market is picking up slightly. It has and still is a long process and I agree, Limbo land is a brilliant description.

Assuming that there are no more delays, and that we hear in June, it will have taken 22 months!

Nice place Bribie Island. Our son lives in Brisbane with his family, and daughter and her family in Helensvale. Will be good to finally get out there and be with them. We have to sell the house before we can go, so fingers crossed that it sells quickly. I think the market is picking up slightly. It has and still is a long process and I agree, Limbo land is a brilliant description.

Keep us up to date Petina, lots of us watching the timelines and house sales. Our house has been on the market for 13 months now!!

Good luck to you

maisie