What does 'Bring a plate' mean?

LKC

Dont see what is wrong with "Bring a plate" to a party - it would be odd if they were the instructions when you were invited over for dinner but a get together with a large number of people is totally different. I'd be talking to the organizer and just checking with them whether they have any preference for savoury or sweet plates. Sometimes they keep a check otherwise you would end up with 17 bowls of potato salad. You can take dessert or antipasto or something else, doesnt have to be a salad as long as it is for sharing.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Gollywobbler
Guess it's te fir me to come out of the dark ages :-)

Hi RobRat

My sister Elaine lives in Perth and has done so for many years. She is married to an Aussie who has quite a large local family.

Elaine & Neil's house is the focal point for family gatherings. Elaine wouldn't dream of asking either of her parents in law to bring anything - they are knocking on in years etc. Mother in law likes baking, though, so if she has time and feels up to it she usually takes a dessert. Elaine and Neil are almost teetotal (just low alcohol beer) so there is no grog in the house. If they want grog the visitors have to take it with them.

Elaine is firm with her siblings in law and their kids because she can't afford to feed the whole tribe two or three times a week and she especially can't afford - and isn't prepared to - keep the adult rellies in booze. They all descend on her for Christmas as it is, so she buys the main stuff for a traditional lunch and tells them to bring wine if they want it, since she & Neil don't drink alcohol at all during the day. She also tells them that if they want a second meal in the evening, it will be a barbie and that they must bring their own food & drink for it.

If she were not firm with them, they would take the mick. I've met them all and I reckon she is right about this! It is probably necessary to be more firm with rellies than with friends who don't feel able to turn up whenever they feel like it! Elaine's sister in law's ex ended up with their children. He took to taking the kids straight from school to Elaine's every day of the week for about a year. Elaine told him, "No beer for you unless you bring it with you." She used to have to wait till he got the hint and departed with his children before she could even start on making supper for her own family.

They probably aren't the Family From Hell but they are not the most functional mob I've ever met either apart from Mother In Law, who is a no nonsense Queenslander from Outback QLD. Raised on a farm in the sticks of QLD, you get the feeling that she knows what to do with a gun! The poor old dear is 78 and discovered recently that she has breast cancer. She couldn't cope with the chemo so the doctors are now trying radiotherapy instead, which is less hard on her. Her spirit is indomitable and I love her to bits, so I will be very sad if Nola doesn't pull through.

Cheers

Gill

Most people have the fold up chairs you can get from Bunnings for about $10. We usually take the meat we're going to cook on the BBQ - check with the person whose holding the event what they'd like you to bring. My friend always brings dessert and I always take a plate of olives, sundried tomatoes, artichokes etc., to share with everyone. We take our own beer/wine - the places we go, kids are usually provided for drinks wise .... but do check

Guest proud2beaussie

I agree with ali,always a good idea to check with the host about what you should bring as it can be embarasing.

I know some friends of mine who would be most upset if people bought anything to a barbecue as they are the sort of people who wouldn't invite anyone if they couldn't put on a real good spread for everyone,but I also have other friends who like to know that their guests are happy and don't mind if they bring their favorite wine or beer or special food.

Guest woods99

A neighbourhood party in your street is usually self-catered. That is, each family brings their own food, drink, etc.

However, ask one of your neighbours what happened last year. It is better to be over-supplied than to turn up empty-handed and be embarrassed. After all, the idea is to make new friends - hospitality to others is one of the keys to making new friendships.

you will be expected to bring your own meat, but don't bring anything too fancy or you will be looked at as a bit of a snob, a few bits of rib eye is the norm of some snags (yum yum). The ladies should make a potato salad or similar. Bring your own booze, the men generally bring their own esky and stand guard over it. The biggest faux pas you could make would be to dress up!! don't, you will stick out like a sore thumb.

Now there you go again Aldo, assuming all of us have all the same sort of bbq's here. In the last few years, most of the bbqs I have been to have been a feast of gourmet salads, often fish, marinated chicken pieces and meat and vegie skewers followed by fantastic deserts. I guess there may be some people who put on average type of bbqs where any cheap meats are thrown on the bbq (and I certainly don't mind that if that's all someone can afford) but the old days of crappy burnt sausages and chops etc followed by a bit of lettuce and tomato is mostly gone. Myself and most of my friends like to have a variety, and most times I don't know which salad to try first.

If I have to bring a plate to a private house, I usually ask what type of plate (pasta, green salad, desert/fruit platter) and people don't mind you asking. For a street party, it usually means bring whatever you need for your famiy and usually there is sharing of that food on the table (then each person has their own meat to cook).

l

Nothing bad about friends pitchin in for a gathering, hover inviting Someone over and telling them or asking them to bring a plate is just wrong.

Food is better qualty and cheaper here. You can feed a swarm of guest well for round 20

when it's tight I marinate a kilo of chicken breast all day , cut up on skewers then cook it over Jarrah wood. And always serve fresh veggies. Can feed 3 familys on that.

The good thing is people here will actually show ip for dinner and are very nice company.

your in oz its thier custom you might not like it but why whinge ,be polite ring the host and ask ,they,ll probably laugh and say you dont have to its up to you,no wonder you cant met people in oz or whinge about not bieng able to meet locals

When we had a street party it was byo meat and beer we provided the salads bread etc. It's up to you to ask what you are expected to bring no one will think of you as stupid. When we have a family do we normally always bring a plate, we are told what to bring and theres never a problem.

Even at Christmas when we had it Mums or my brothers, sisters or mine we would all bring a joint of meat or we would tell each other how much it cost, now it may sound tight etc but if you were the one cooking Christmas dinner it helps cut down costs, not just that we always had ham, turkey, pork, and either lamb or beef.

I'm doing Christmas this year and I've given out a list of what i want people to buy and don't see anything wrong with it.

Guest chris_mac

You know you've brought the right food when your plate is first to be cleared!

Never seems to happen to us? Must be no one likes Heinz Spagetti in our street?

Oh well:biglaugh:

You know you've brought the right food when your plate is first to be cleared!

Never seems to happen to us? Must be no one likes Heinz Spagetti in our street?

Oh well:biglaugh:

I really dis-like people like you...........:realmad:

Showing everyone how well off you are! I bet you walk around with your nose in the air looking down at people, we have names for people like you and i'll use some of them (and don't care if i get an infraction) you're a show off, a snob, you walk around with a silver spoon up your bum......................

Bloody Heinz Spagetti........... most of use the homebrand stuff and are proud to do so!!!

My advice stop showing off, if you are lucky enough to get another invite please take the no name brand and watch how warmly you are welcomed and how quick your plate is cleared.........

(btw just having a laugh)

I really dis-like people like you...........:realmad:

Showing everyone how well off you are! I bet you walk around with your nose in the air looking down at people, we have names for people like you and i'll use some of them (and don't care if i get an infraction) you're a show off, a snob, you walk around with a silver spoon up your bum......................

Bloody Heinz Spagetti........... most of use the homebrand stuff and are proud to do so!!!

My advice stop showing off, if you are lucky enough to get another invite please take the no name brand and watch how warmly you are welcomed and how quick your plate is cleared.........

(btw just having a laugh)

You been away too long mate better bring a big country pie, 2 chilli beef and cheese and 2 beef bacon and cheese and 6 squirtys of red sauce

Now there you go again Aldo, assuming all of us have all the same sort of bbq's here. In the last few years, most of the bbqs I have been to have been a feast of gourmet salads, often fish, marinated chicken pieces and meat and vegie skewers followed by fantastic deserts. I guess there may be some people who put on average type of bbqs where any cheap meats are thrown on the bbq (and I certainly don't mind that if that's all someone can afford) but the old days of crappy burnt sausages and chops etc followed by a bit of lettuce and tomato is mostly gone. Myself and most of my friends like to have a variety, and most times I don't know which salad to try first.

If I have to bring a plate to a private house, I usually ask what type of plate (pasta, green salad, desert/fruit platter) and people don't mind you asking. For a street party, it usually means bring whatever you need for your famiy and usually there is sharing of that food on the table (then each person has their own meat to cook).

l

Fair point olly.

I'm forgetting there are people on here that have large conservatories, walk in robes, jacuzzis and stuff.

Just kidding, sorry, of course i was just generalising.:wink:

I think it's a lovely idea and the concept of 'pitching in' is great. I think it also flags up the fact that your input is required, ie, I would definately offer to clear up and put things back into place at the end (which is something you will always find me doing anyway).

FWIW, I think that it means everyone brings a plate of food to put out on the table for all to share.

Have a good time.

I think it's a lovely idea and the concept of 'pitching in' is great. I think it also flags up the fact that your input is required, ie, I would definately offer to clear up and put things back into place at the end (which is something you will always find me doing anyway).

FWIW, I think that it means everyone brings a plate of food to put out on the table for all to share.

Have a good time.

No it means they are tight bastards and bring their own grog and take it home with them after they have supped mine , does bring a plate mean that Oliver Twist was an australian story pinched by the brits

Guest guest33730

I like the idea of everyone bringing something and chipping in but how many of you struggle when you watch someone who you know only brought a few sausages (snags) and a bottle of coke sitting down and eating the steak and drinking the wine you brought!!!! - go on admit it, you've all been there!!

Daniel

I like the idea of everyone bringing something and chipping in but how many of you struggle when you watch someone who you know only brought a few sausages (snags) and a bottle of coke sitting down and eating the steak and drinking the wine you brought!!!! - go on admit it, you've all been there!!

Daniel

I think that's an urban myth.........

Guest guest33730
I think that's an urban myth.........

Maybe it's just church circles - although usually just one of us brings a few loaves & some fishes - it seems to go a long way!!

Daniel

although usually just one of us brings a few loaves & some fishes -

Daniel

I think that's just an Urban Myth.........:biglaugh:

I wonder if that's the same sort of byo as chris_mac go to?????

Don't forget about the water into wine, now he would be a great mate to have

Guest guest33730

Don't forget about the water into wine, now he would be a great mate to have

I can do it the other way round (wine into water) but you wouldn't want to drink it though LOLxx

Daniel

Foint olly.

I'm forgetting there are people on here that have large conservatories, walk in robes, jacuzzis and stuff.

Just kidding, sorry, of course i was just generalising.:wink:

You need to come to a bbq at my place Aldo, but of course that would mean you would have to come back to this awful awful country wouldn't it and you would never do that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! By the way I am having a bbq this week, and am going down to the seafood market to get nice fresh prawns etc for skewers and a huge piece of salmon to do in foil as well. Also some lamb skewers with veg. HUNGRY yet mate????:hug: (oh and then I'm getting in the jacuzzi with a cold one........................)

Archived