What does 'Bring a plate' mean?

LKC

We have had our very first invite to an Aussie event. It is a Christmas party in our close (only lived here a few weeks so don't really know anyone yet) and the invite says "BYO and bring a plate". I presume that BYO means bring your own beer/wine etc but what does bring your own plate mean? Does it mean take a plate of food (which I presume it does) and if so, should I bring a plate for each of us (two adults and two very small children) or just one. What food? Meat, salad, pasta what?! I don't want to be the idiot who gets it wrong!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest siamsusie
We have had our very first invite to an Aussie event. It is a Christmas party in our close (only lived here a few weeks so don't really know anyone yet) and the invite says "BYO and bring a plate". I presume that BYO means bring your own beer/wine etc but what does bring your own plate mean? Does it mean take a plate of food (which I presume it does) and if so, should I bring a plate for each of us (two adults and two very small children) or just one. What food? Meat, salad, pasta what?! I don't want to be the idiot who gets it wrong!

Up here it means brings a plate (bare plate) and cultery, and some also say BYO meat/fish. great idea for cheap entertaining without the washing up:wink:... ring your host as just clairfy Susie xx

Guest siamsusie
down here bring a plate normally means bring your own meat , although i was once invited to a barbie and it said bring byo bring a plate and bring your own chair , i told her why dont i just stay at home and think of you while im eating !!!!

:laugh::twitcy:

So if I took a couple of chairs (it says to bring garden furniture too), a plate of salad, a plate of meat for the barbie and a couple of bottles of wine and squash for the kiddies, I guess that'd be okay?

Guest siamsusie

So if I took a couple of chairs (it says to bring garden furniture too), a plate of salad, a plate of meat for the barbie and a couple of bottles of wine and squash for the kiddies, I guess that'd be okay?
you could think about a mattress and a few pillows, for after the wine:wink:. Goodness its like moving all over again pmsl Susie

Guest jankroo
Up here it means brings a plate (bare plate) and cultery, and some also say BYO meat/fish. great idea for cheap entertaining without the washing up:wink:... ring your host as just clairfy Susie xx

Bring a plate usually is a contribution for the table a bowl of salad a cake fruit platter etc

Though no problems with ringing they may give you a few ideas..

Happpy Xmas!!

you will be expected to bring your own meat, but don't bring anything too fancy or you will be looked at as a bit of a snob, a few bits of rib eye is the norm of some snags (yum yum). The ladies should make a potato salad or similar. Bring your own booze, the men generally bring their own esky and stand guard over it. The biggest faux pas you could make would be to dress up!! don't, you will stick out like a sore thumb.

Shouldn't need the mattress etc. Party at No 1, we are at No 6. Worst comes to the worst we can send kidlets home (in laws are staying) and camp out on the verge. House is on the down side of our street. If we calculated the projections right, hubby could roll me from No 1, over the road and then skip me over the curb and in through our eldest daugters window which is on a level with the street. Alternatively I could roll down the side and on to a sun lounger by the pool.

Very strange. Definitly not the best manners.

A mate from Scotland doesn't care for that ethier. We were to entertain our guest.

It doesn't cost much more to feed a few more. It's polite to offer to bring something for the host or at least a bottle of wine. I don't want my guest to have to bother with anything.

Guest Guest31881

A mate from Scotland doesn't care for that ethier. We were to entertain our guest.

It doesn't cost much more to feed a few more. It's polite to offer to bring something for the host or at least a bottle of wine. I don't want my guest to have to bother with anything.

Its an ozzie tradition..... just an excuse for a get together.

Guest siamsusie

Shouldn't need the mattress etc. Party at No 1, we are at No 6. Worst comes to the worst we can send kidlets home (in laws are staying) and camp out on the verge. House is on the down side of our street. If we calculated the projections right, hubby could roll me from No 1, over the road and then skip me over the curb and in through our eldest daugters window which is on a level with the street. Alternatively I could roll down the side and on to a sun lounger by the pool.
You have basically got it sussed:laugh::biglaugh:....

Thanks Aldo. Not sure on the snags (haven't found any I like yet). What would you call over-dressing.

I went to a 50th birthday party/bbq so put on some leather shoes trousers and a shirt and felt like a right kipper. Most wore shorts thongs and singlets.

Guest siamsusie

I agree with you Robrat, I love providing the food and as you say it can be very inexpensive. The alcohol is expensive here and I do appreciate the Australian way of BIY en masse, although I always have something in the house to offer guests. Susie x

Guest Guest31881
I agree with you Robrat, I love providing the food and as you say it can be very inexpensive. The alcohol is expensive here and I do appreciate the Australian way of BIY en masse, although I always have something in the house to offer guests. Susie x

Perhaps it is something that is peculiar to the Eastern States, I know it is common in Qld, and NSW, Just an excuse for a get together, informal evening normally.

Guest guest30038
Definitly not all Aussies, most I know would never ask anyone to bring anything.

It's a regular tradition here

1. the get togethers are large and the host would have considerable expense and also, keeping everyone happy by providing their likes would entail considerable ringing around.

and more importantly and practical:

2. The main idea of "fetch a plate" is that you get to pick it and you at least have something that you would like, whilst others can sample yours and you can sample theirs (if you wish)

The downside can be, as happened at one I attended, that of the 14 couples there, 12 fetched exactly the same :rolleyes:

I've never known anyone apply "fetch a plate" for small gatherings.

kev

Guest siamsusie
Perhaps it is something that is peculiar to the Eastern States, I know it is common in Qld, and NSW, Just an excuse for a get together, informal evening normally.

Everywhere I have been Colin, they seem to BYO grog which is great on your pocket, here up north everyone brings their own crockery & cutlery (hence bring a plate) and if they want you to bring your food they say so. I found it strange walking around with my own steaks, next time will take my own Beouf Wellington and see what they say:laugh: not forgetting the jewelled thongs of course:wink: but as you say a good cheap get together, no harm in that Susie x

Nothing bad about friends pitchin in for a gathering, hover inviting Someone over and telling them or asking them to bring a plate is just wrong.

Food is better qualty and cheaper here. You can feed a swarm of guest well for round 20

when it's tight I marinate a kilo of chicken breast all day , cut up on skewers then cook it over Jarrah wood. And always serve fresh veggies. Can feed 3 familys on that.

The good thing is people here will actually show ip for dinner and are very nice company.

Guest guest30038
Nothing bad about friends pitchin in for a gathering, hover inviting Someone over and telling them or asking them to bring a plate is just wrong.

Telling Queenslanders that their age old tradition is "just wrong" isn't exactly assimilating now is it mate? If it's different in your neck of the woods, then fair enough.

kev

Guest Guest31881

I dont think you get the idea, you are talking about feeding 3 families, In QLD you could be feeding the street, it not just inviting a few round, it can be a big party for the street. If I asked a couple of neighbours round, then yes I would feed them, but when you are talking about anything up to 20 or more houses, its tradition to bring a plate.

Archived