What does 'Bring a plate' mean?

LKC

You need to come to a bbq at my place Aldo, but of course that would mean you would have to come back to this awful awful country wouldn't it and you would never do that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! By the way I am having a bbq this week, and am going down to the seafood market to get nice fresh prawns etc for skewers and a huge piece of salmon to do in foil as well. Also some lamb skewers with veg. HUNGRY yet mate????:hug: (oh and then I'm getting in the jacuzzi with a cold one........................)

So there will be a huge plate of snags that the guests brought left uneaten.:cute:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So there will be a huge plate of snags that the guests brought left uneaten.:cute:

Nup, don't have 'snags' and if it's only a few people coming over, I don't always ask them to 'bring a plate', only if we decide that we actually all want to. Quite often, it will be 'I'll bring a desert". It isn't about making people bring their own food at all. And the general rule is: if you bring some meat for the BBQ, unless otherwise stated you only eat your own meat unless it's offered around. The sort of people who would help themselves to something before they asked aren't very good to have at a bbq, there might be some that do it, but generally nobody does unless it is agree that what's there is for everyone to have.

Guest pixie_duzt2003@hotmail.co

haha fairy bread, all the kids at the day care centres i worked in with kinda dance loved that stuff!

We have had our very first invite to an Aussie event. It is a Christmas party in our close (only lived here a few weeks so don't really know anyone yet) and the invite says "BYO and bring a plate". I presume that BYO means bring your own beer/wine etc but what does bring your own plate mean? Does it mean take a plate of food (which I presume it does) and if so, should I bring a plate for each of us (two adults and two very small children) or just one. What food? Meat, salad, pasta what?! I don't want to be the idiot who gets it wrong!

where I live it means bring anything for the table,salad, cakes, potatoe bake, pasta dish, anything up to you,if its a Barbie then it would mean your own meat plus salad or sausages or chicken bits ect cake, cream scones,of course the bottle to go with it

Well, we phoned the organiser and she said just to bring some chips and dips. We went over there this evening and had a lovely time. Everyone took the time to speak to us, and made us feel really welcome and I came away with several invites for coffee etc. Our children were a hit too (they all have children who are far older).

Thank you for your advice!

Guest Guest31881
Well, we phoned the organiser and she said just to bring some chips and dips. We went over there this evening and had a lovely time. Everyone took the time to speak to us, and made us feel really welcome and I came away with several invites for coffee etc. Our children were a hit too (they all have children who are far older).

Thanks for the update, its so nice to hear it all went well....

PS did you get your plate back :biglaugh:

Good on you LKC, glad it worked out.

Archived