Protest Visit to Australia House - update

Guest Gollywobbler

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Gill,

I'm sure I speak on behalf of thousands when I say we can't thank you enough for the effort you are putting in to helping people.

We are composing our email this evening and will get it sent off as soon as we can.

Good luck on Monday - we wish we could be there.

Thanks again - you're one in a million.

Karen xx

Gill, again thank you for all your hard work.

Not quite sure if you only want emails from offshore applicants that have been affected by the 23rd sept changes sent to David, or are onshore affected applicants also welcome to say how their lives are now in limbo as well.

Please let me know. Thank you

Hi Gill,

I received a response from Mr Wilden personally within 10 minutes of emailing him, to say that he would look at my file with ASPC, request an update on my status & processing times. He will also look at my daughters age when applying, and the age she will be when the visa should be granted, and get back to me with more details.

Very impressed with the speedy response, and it's not from one of his staff.

Tracey x

Hi all

This might help, i have just had the email from my agent. Thanks

I’m writing to raise your awareness of a potential issue following the changes to priority processing made by the Department of Immigration this past September. While we anticipate that further announcements may be made in the near future which could change things again, we need to work with the legislation and policy as it stands now, and prepare for the possibility that it may remain in place for some time.

With that in mind, one of the issues we are aware of is that of dependant applicants growing beyond dependency before the application is finalised. This email is therefore for applicants who have a dependent child aged 15 or above on the application. If this is not you, please ignore this email as it does not apply to your situation.

Under current legislation, once a child reaches the age of 18, dependency is no longer assumed and must be proven at the end of the process (i.e. when the visa application is assessed and a decision is made).

It is possible that DIAC will begin to assess applications as per an applicant's circumstances at the time of lodgement. Should they announce this, or introduce some other form of leniency or provisions to account for applicants with dependants, then we do not anticipate this will be an issue. However, should DIAC choose to keep the requirement that any dependants REMAIN dependent throughout the application process and at the end of processing when assessing applications and your child is 18 or over at that time, you may be asked to prove that they remain dependent on you. If you are unable to prove this, there is no guarantee that they will remain eligible to remain on the application.

Dependency is demonstrated through the provision of a form which we would send you at that time, and third party evidence such as confirmation that they are in full time education or require financial support to meet their basic needs. If they are in work this would need to be declared, although payslips are generally accepted as proof of low income.

We will be in touch at the time to go over this in more detail if it becomes an issue. At this stage, we are simply encouraging you to keep it in mind so that if there is a significant wait before your application is processed, appropriate decisions can be made to ensure that migrating dependents remain verifiably dependent.

This issue, among several others, is one which we hope DIAC will address in the near future, and at that time we will be in touch with firmer directions on this issue. Until that time, you are welcome to discuss this with your caseworker however we will not be able to provide you with any further information until it becomes available from DIAC themselves. Rest assured, as soon as there is any news at all, we will be in touch to let you know.

Kind Regards,

Guest Sebbers

We too would like to thank you for all your hard work Gill and support during what is a stressful time for so many of us. Unfortunately, as much as we would like to join you on Monday we are unable to do so due to prior commitments on that day. We will be drafting our email this evening outlining our circumstances etc, lets hope that Mr Wilden takes on board what were all saying and something positive comes out of this.

Jen

Guest Rah Rah

Hi Gill,

I haven't been on Poms in Oz for a long time as given up hope after the last announcements, but after speaking to my sister in Victoria this morning it spured me to check out what the goss was.

It looks like your doing an amazing job at trying to help us all get our point across and arranging a meeting seems to be an achivement in itself. I will be unable to support you on Monday as im sure having a 2 year old and 7 month old in the room wouldn't help things but positive vibes are on their way.

This has probably alreay been thought of and suggested, but would there be any benefit in a putting together a petition im sure thousands would sign it over the world necer mind just the UK, would this go any way to getting a realistic and suitable way forward for all applicants concerned.

If im able to help at all in any way please let me know, im willing and able. We are not in a situation where an e-mail would beneift, just frustration at years of preparing to apply then being put on hold when we finally do.

Many thanks again.

Fairy x

:jiggy:

This has probably alreay been thought of and suggested, but would there be any benefit in a putting together a petition im sure thousands would sign it over the world necer mind just the UK, would this go any way to getting a realistic and suitable way forward for all applicants concerned.

Hi Sarah,

Here is the link for the petition already set up;

Immigration Processing priority changes of September 2009 unfair Petition

Guest Gollywobbler
Gill, again thank you for all your hard work.

Not quite sure if you only want emails from offshore applicants that have been affected by the 23rd sept changes sent to David, or are onshore affected applicants also welcome to say how their lives are now in limbo as well.

Please let me know. Thank you

Hi Ramot

I know that a family member of yours is an ex Student visa holder, now languishing in Oz on a Bridging Visa A and s/he cannot get a reasonable job because employers in Oz won't hire ex-Students on Bridging Visas. Is this the reason for your own involvement in the efforts to get something done?

What about you, Ramot? Are you also stuck on a Bridging Visa or do you now have PR and perhaps even Citizenship since I am aware that you have been in Oz for over 6 years?

I was hoping to get Sammy Naghi to come with us on Monday because I trust him to know the details of onshore GSM visas, which I know almost nothing about. However Sammy says he will not be in London next Monday, which is a pity because his office is only 10 minutes walk from Oz House and I don't think there is any RMA based closer to Oz House than Sammy.

I know what Mark Webster said about the ex-Students in his radio interview with Peter Mares but I am not clear about the various Bridging Visas and I also don't know what is supposed to be happening about the ex University students as opposed to the ex VET course students.

One of the questions I plan to ask is why can't the applicants for the onshore visas be allowed to leave Oz for extended periods when they can't get jobs in Oz and DIAC have no intention of doing anything about their visa applications before 2012 if their occupations are not on the CSL? Why can't they be "ring-fenced" to protect them from the Bridging Visa B nonsense in the same way as I suggest that children who will soon turn 18 should be protected?

It is all very well for the Government to waffle that it supposedly reacted swiftly to the GFC and so prevented Australia from sliding into recession. That is just total, spin-doctoring claptrap in any case. Why is Australia the only country to have gone into panic mode about its skilled immigration program? What difference does 60,000 people make to a population of 21 million?

David Wilden was quick to tell me that times have changed and times are hard. All the more reason for "People Our Business" to look after People more than and better than they usually do, in that case. And more and better than they have bothered to do since 23rd September, as well.

They should nominate a DIAC officer based in Oz, who is as senior as or higher than David Wilden and this onshore DIAC officer should be in charge of providing individually tailored, hands-on advice and personal assistance to the languishing applicants for onshore GSM visas.

So far the only "assistance" that DIAC in Australia have bothered to provide is an old flannel boiled up by Peter Speldewinde and a ball of old knitting from the Minister.

That is not good enough. People Our Business must wake up, get up off their butts and be seen to take responsibility for and towards the People who are their Business. Ditto their Minister. He is the Minister for Immigration. Immigration is defined as moving to a country of which one is not a Citizen, usually with status as a Permanent Resident of the new country.

Prospective immigrants are Minister Evans' business and he has abandoned his responsibilities to those prospective immigrants completely (unless the prospective immigrants claim to be refugees, that is, in which case he busts a gut to dump them into Indonesia's lap.) The onshore workforce is DEEWR's responsibility, under the stewardship of its own Minister, Julia Gillard. Why is Evans interfering with her portfolio instead of looking after his own portfolio properly? Which deity beatified him as the Patron Saint of Refugees, whilst we are about it?

People Our Business are trying to make light of the problems they are causing to real people because they don't want to see them. That is not good enough either. David Wilden tried to tell me about "slight" delay. Since when has four or more years been a "slight" period of time? Is he misinformed or is he trying to come the raw prawn? Four weeks is slight. Four months is slight at a push. Four years is NOT slight. 10 minutes can make a massive difference with DIAC. It can make the difference between submitting a GSM application whilst he applicant is still 44 or not until after he has turned 45 and it depends on the local clocks in Adelaide or Brisbane. DIAC are the last people on the planet with a viable excuse for claiming that four years is "slight."

By all means contact David Wilden if you want to - after all, I am in no position to tell anyone else what they can or can't do. For what it is worth my advice, though, is to ask you to leave it with me till next week? I want to try to get Mr Wilden to give me a name and contact details for the "Special Officer" in Oz who will be doing the same job as DW by the end of next week. Serious delays and disruptions to clients' lives cannot be managed on the cheap.

Cheers

Gill

"People our business" - it can be a slogan for smugglers too, can't it?

Now it's clear that DIAC have such motto because they simply make money out of us to live in a rich country. It's a scam indeed.:biggrin:

The only developed country that has escaped the recession is Australia and now I know why. :wink:

Guest Gollywobbler
Alan

thanks looked at that its metro Iam affraid

WJK

Hi WJK

Whereabouts in Perth Metro is the salon, please? The suburb name or the postcode will do.

I am suspicious. When Hairdryers (sic) are such a bone of contention in the migration program, why is the ENS visa wage for them higher than the going rate paid to local Hairdryers?

I think this is a question that we might need to raise with Mr Wilden next week.

Thanks

Gill

Guest hwantazia
"People our business" - it can be a slogan for smugglers too, can't it?

Now it's clear that DIAC have such motto because they simply make money out of us to live in a rich country. It's a scam indeed.:biggrin:

The only developed country that has escaped the recession is Australia and now I know why.

People = our MONEY. :radar:

Guest Sebbers

We have had our response from Mr Wilden it reads as follows:

Thank you for getting in touch with me regarding your application. I can understand your frustration having been through the process and having being impacted by the changes when you were close to a decision. The Minister is aware that there is a group of people in your situation and is considering the options. As a first step, I will follow up with Adelaide Skilled Processing centre to confirm the status of your case and possible timelines for decision.

Jen

Guest TheHollies
We have had our response from Mr Wilden it reads as follows:

Thank you for getting in touch with me regarding your application. I can understand your frustration having been through the process and having being impacted by the changes when you were close to a decision. The Minister is aware that there is a group of people in your situation and is considering the options. As a first step, I will follow up with Adelaide Skilled Processing centre to confirm the status of your case and possible timelines for decision.

Jen

That sounds promising, keeping fingers and toes crossed that we all have some good news for xmas :biggrin:

Guest GillianM

Hi folks, i emailed Mr Wilden yesterday, just back home from work and this is my response from him:

Dear Ms Hunter

Thank you for writing setting out the circumstances of your case. I will get in contact with the Adelaide Skilled Processing Centre to get an update on your case and as soon as I have a response I will get back to you.

KInd Regards

So dont know how long ASPC will take to get back to him?

Gillian x

Gill, many thanks for your hard work. I cant make Monday but have lobbied David too - any info or glimmer of hope he can give will be a start

As for the work for the refund options also, that would also help - if the time scales do not alter at all

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi All

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/71786-future-migration-existing-applicants-15.html

Please see my response thiis evening to George Lombard on Page 15 of the thread above and then please track back a page or two to follow everything that George has been saying for the last couple of days or so.......

If it is true that some of the new Category 5 applicants are to be treated more equally than others, I predict uproar and possibly a legal challenge in the Court in Australia.

I have asked David Wilden to be kind enough to find out what is going on and to be ready with an accurate answer on Monday.

I trust DIAC more than I trust their Minister right now. Which is not to say that my trust in either of them is great, though.

Waiting for more information. :unsure:

Cheers

Gill

Having spoken with ASPC representatives in Adelaide yesterday I sense they are just as frustrated at decisions emanating from the Minister's office - what can they say of any substance to all who are affected ?

The Minister's Office is (I perceive) increasingly under the influence of the left wing/Union lobby. Remember, the Federal election is but a year away ...

Best regards.

Guest Migration Help

The Minister's Office is (I perceive) increasingly under the influence of the left wing/Union lobby. Remember, the Federal election is but a year away ...

Best regards.

No doubt about it Alan.

Kind regards

Hi All

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/71786-future-migration-existing-applicants-15.html

Please see my response thiis evening to George Lombard on Page 15 of the thread above and then please track back a page or two to follow everything that George has been saying for the last couple of days or so.......

If it is true that some of the new Category 5 applicants are to be treated more equally than others, I predict uproar and possibly a legal challenge in the Court in Australia.

I have asked David Wilden to be kind enough to find out what is going on and to be ready with an accurate answer on Monday.

I trust DIAC more than I trust their Minister right now. Which is not to say that my trust in either of them is great, though.

Waiting for more information. :unsure:

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill,

Any news from Mr. Wilden?

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Gill,

Any news from Mr. Wilden?

Hi McKlaut

I asked Mr Wilden to get some concrete information about the fabled 3,500 visas for me by Monday.

Mr W told me that he is in regular touch with the skilled processing boss at the ASPC and with Peter Vardos, DIAC's Head of Policy (and also Deputy Secretary of DIAC, I hink) in Canberra. Apparently the ASPC man went to the meeting on Wednesday but will not now be back in his office till Monday.

Since there has been no concrete news from Australia overnight and it must be Friday evening in Eastern Australia by now, I don't think there will be any certainty about the garbled information disclosed on Wednesday until Monday next week at the earliest.

The ASPC man would have done better to keep his mouth shut than to blurt out half information when he had no details and he knew he would not be in his office on Thursday and Friday in order to control the information-flow and to get a coherent statement onto the DIAC website within 24 hours of first hearing the new information himself.

DIAC's incoherent, disorganised approach to the current Hot Topic simply demonstrates their belief that they are not dealing with real people and real people's lives imho. They are making piecemeal changes, on the hoof as they go along and they have no coherent machinery for disseminating news of developments to their clients - the visa applicants - the People who are their Business.

Andrew Bolt of the Sydney Morning Herald has now been approached to see whether he can be persuaded to publicise the GSM visa debacle.

In fairness to David Wilden in London, when the agents in Australia and the State Governments can't discover what the hell DIAC are up to now, it is unrealistic to suppose that David Wilden is able to discover what his colleagues are up to either.

The waiting for information drags on and I suspect it will drag on until Monday at the earliest and possibly for quite a while beyond that. It is disgraceful but it is typical of the Government and DIAC's chaotic mismanagement of the skilled visa program in my view.

Cheers

Gill

Guest GillianM

Hi, just to wish yous all the luck in the world for Mondays meeting, hope all goes well and you return with some good news.

Gillian

Archived