6 Months in Secret Harbour

The Yuills

Well we have now been here in Secret Harbour for 6 months and still we are loving the experience and have no intention of going anywhere.

Hubby is still settled in his job and finally is earning more than he was in UK and not having to work Saturdays..considering he has probably worked 6 days for the last 10+ years. I do not have to find work yet, as we are still managing on the one income. This is something we could not of achieved in UK, for most our married life I have had to work 2 jobs fitting hours about hubbys work and kids and schools. Now I am able to kick back and relax. We do not live an extravagent life but an affordable life here and certainly are able to do more as a family at a cost that we can afford.

We have taken out yearly passes for Adventure World at Bibra Lake and have been several times now (more than got our monies worth!!) The whole family love it there and we always spend the day there.

We still enjoy just packing up a picnic on a Sunday jumping in the car and driving somewhere and having the day out as a family. Again we missed out on this in the UK at Hubby worked Saturdays and I worked Saturday evenings and Sundays..so were not able to go out at a whole family.

Kids (15 years and 7 Years) have settled at there schools and have made friends. Eldest has always been the worry since we have arrived and we still have moments with him but all in all they enjoy it and even the eldest does not see himself going back to the UK.

We have met some lovely people Australians, English, South Africans, new Zealanders all sorts really and have not come across any "bad eggs" really. We have had a few problems with cars..but we have decided not to dwell on that and move on..it could have happened anywhere not because we are in Australia. We have met a lovely English/Aussie lady (she came here when she was 15 and is now 58) and my youngest (3) sees her as a nanny which is lovely, she has also offered her caravan to us so we can go to Monkey Mia in December!!!

I still get days when I miss my friends in the UK, especially by best Friend Sue, but I do speak to her on a weekly basis and she is saving for a trip over!! Another friend is coming over this month to stay with her brother (he lives in Singleton) so that will be nice.

Also have just discovered a few days ago that I am expecting again (and I thought I was menopausal!!!) so at 42 years of age it is going to be hard..and I have to go all the way to King Edward Memorial Hospital for my care and delivery, this was the hospital I was born at 42 years ago! Fingers crossed it all goes to plan..so our new life now takes on a new meaning.

Really just wanted to say we are here and we are staying..come hell or high water!!! We did not come with a lot of money or belongings but we have managed to survive for the 1st 6 months and hopefully we carrying on doing well.

Good luck to all of you waiting to come and don't give up if that is your dream!

Heres to the next 6 months.

Sue

xx

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Sue

What a lovely post and congratulations on your news!! You must be very excited, how long do you have to go?

Kate

Guest siamsusie

What a beautiful post Sue, and Oh! so many many congratulations, what a bonus to your new lives here. Gorgeous news!! It's lovely to read such a positive post, and your new life sounds amazing, please do keep us posted, and thank you for sharing. Very best wishes to your little family ss x

Guest The Pom Queen
Not sure how far along at the moment..doctor thinks 15/16 weeks going for a scan this week!!

Good luck, it must have been a shock but what great news!!!

Sue, I can't believe you've been here 6 months .... and getting your own little aussie ... would it not have been cheaper getting a dog lol. .... Seriously, many congratulations, though you've made us ladies of a certain age worry like mad now!!

Great that you're all enjoying the simple things that life has to offer ... sometimes the little things become very precious, we certainly lost sight of them in the UK as like you I was working shifts and nights.

Great post

Ali xx

Guest Magnetic6

Hi Sue

What a lovely post and a little aussie baby is the icing on the cake.....fantastic news!!

:hug:to you and your family

Natalie x

Guest The Ritchies

Hi Sue

Great to hear that everyone is settling in and enjoying Oz. And many congratulations on the baby news!

Hope you don't mind me asking but was wondering what schools your 2 eldest children are going to and how they are getting on. We have Lauren (10) and Samuel (7) and was thinking about going to Secret Harbour. Any info on the area and schools would be great.

Speak to you soon.

Wendy

Hope you don't mind me asking but was wondering what schools your 2 eldest children are going to and how they are getting on. We have Lauren (10) and Samuel (7) and was thinking about going to Secret Harbour. Any info on the area and schools would be great.

Speak to you soon.

Wendy

HI Wendy,

depending on where you live in Secret Harbour denoted which primary school your kids will go to. My 7 year old goes to Comet Bay Primary...and loves it. He has settled well and made friends and has come out of himself alot since being here. Secret Harbour Primary also has a good reputation so you will not have any probs with primary school. SH is self sufficent really, shopping, petrol, liquor store, hairdressers, doctors dentist, hair dresser..even got our own bar now!!! THe local surf club (recently frequented by Black Eyed Peas!!), golf course, swimming club and most importantly the beach. You wouldn't go far wrong coming to SH, but then I am biased!!

Good luck Wendy and you never know may see you soon in SH

Sue xx

Well had my first hospital appointment today and I must say I am very impressed so far with the medicare service both from the doctors and the hospital. Original doctors were bulk bill so did not have to pay anything, they did a scan and blood tests (lots of!!) and all the usual pregnancy things, was never made to feel like they were rushing me. The King Edward today was wonderful..so all in all cannot complain about the service received.

I have been told I am nearly 16 weeks and we are having a boy..so really pleased all looks fine at the moment. Back up there in 3 weeks for more scans and bloods.

Thanks for all your kind wishes.

Sue xx

Guest The Ropey HOFF

hi Sue,

i don't think it is right that you should be posting such a positive post on PIO it will make the majority of us want to come OZ even more and just where will the UK be then losing so many skilled British people. Before the usual cronies come on here and start saying OZ is rubbish, that its too hot, there are no good pubs, or a good pint, wages are worse than the UK, the houses are too big in OZ and get cold in the winter, the insects are scary-woooo, crime is worse in Perth than London, jobs are scarce in OZ and there isn't an unemployment problem in the UK, the cost of living is higher in OZ, so will you please give a balanced view rather than saying your loving it, its just not fair and you will make some people cry. Joking aside, it sounds like you are absoloutley loving it and long may it last. I was in Secret Harbour and loved it, someone said it wasn't a desired area to live in, well i beg to differ, living by the sea, in a relatively crime free area with big fabulous cheap houses and the weather is fantastic, is as far as i am concerned far better than what most places in the UK has to offer. Best of luck.

jim.

Guest The Thains

Hi Sue,

great post and congratulations,

we head to Perth on the 25th of Nov, (Mark / Allison and Holly 6)

we plan to settle in secret harbour so hopfully will beable to meet and have a chat about things

best wishes

Mark and Allison

Great post, we just got back from our 2 week hol in Perth and are missing it already, read your post with envy !!!

Big congratulations on your impending arrival !!!

Allison

• 1 month later...
Guest s17myy1

What a fantastic post you have well and truly brought a tears to my eyes. We are just starting the process of moving out to WA and after reading your post I now know were makin the right decision for our family. We have friends that live in Singleton so we wont be totally alone but think its great for you to have met wonderful people to give an extended family to your children. I wish you and your family and the new addition all the very best for your future in Oz xxxx

Archived