how much does it really cost....how to blow 40k

Guest sunseekers

I am not there yet but I am quite good with money and plan for every thing. So dont shoot me down. My wife is going to have a job before we go. so our plans are:

Rent for 6 months = $10400

Rent for one month when we get there (holiday home) = $3000

Car = $16000

Motorbike for me:cool: = $6000

First 2 months living expenses till Lisa gets paid = $2000

Total = $37400 (£18700 assuming we get $2 a pound):biggrin:

JOHN

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi we are moving out to the gold coast in may with £40,000 we are planning on at least one of us getting a job before we arrive myself been in nursing and husband being a engineer,(any assistance with jobs welcome) we just want to have a relaxed and comfortable life with our 2 gorgeous girls do you think we are been realistic:jiggy:

Christ! If we need that much money I should unpack now!! How important is a car right away if you can commute to work within an hour-hour and a half?? Im hoping to get by without a car for as long as feasably possible - might need to get one for hubby, but second hand will do us nicely.

We have nowhere near that amount set aside, not even a fraction of it ... but then I do have a job to start immediately on arrival, a few grand tucked away for essentials + a few months rental. House is up for sale just now, dont imagine it will sell immediately therefore the equity should come in handy a year down the line when we hope to buy.

I simply cannot see how it should cost any more to live there than it does in the UK. I agree with the comment made earlier implying 'if you cant afford it then you shouldnt have it', therefore if money is tight we wont be splurging ... a small sacrifice for long term gain. Both myself and hubby dont expect to arrive in Oz and pick up from where we left off - we are looking to build a new life out there, and that doesnt happen overnight. We dont plan on shipping anything right away either ... we dont have that much we intend to keep. And another thing, cant we just take the laptop we own just now?? change the plug or something??

I simply cannot see how moving to Australia should be any different to starting out a fresh anywhere else.

Guest Bernicem80

Fantastic Post Kev! Very inspiring and proves that it can be done! No wonder you are so proud, I would be too if I were in your situation! Well Done!

Think I need tips from you on budgeting!! :biggrin:

We (wife, 2 kids) came with UK8k and stayed with a friend for a week. Within a fortnight my wife had found work and had enrolled in Uni for a Grad Dip, as she was ward trained in the UK and wanted to be better qualified than the younger nurses she was teaching. She cycled to work (22k there and back) and to uni 2 nights a week (40k there and back) for a year and then we bought a magna for 800 bucks which lasted us 4 yrs. This was only at my insistence as the bloody magpies had knocked her off the bloody bike twice........I wasn't thinking about her welfare more about how we'd manage if she was off work :biglaugh:

I walked to the nearest shops (6k) daily, with 2 kids in a tandem buggy and kept house. We had secured a mortgage on acreage for 38k in our first year and sold it for 27k within 6 months as we found it couldn't be built on, except at huge expense (we didn't know about soil tests and certain drainage problems)..........that set us back a wee tad.

2 yrs later we bought our first home mortgaged at 111000. It was another year before we got our second car...........a 22yr old datsun that lasted us another 4 yrs........the magna was still going strong.

14 yrs after arriving, we are totally debt free, own a Landcruiser, Astra, and a boat. We have 2 kids in private school, and we have assets of over a million. My wife is a nurse..........we've got there on her wage and fortitude, and my smart shopping and thrifty spending. Are we lucky or did we simply not set our sights too high for the present and focused on the future?

I'm not being smug, I'm just so proud of my wife for putting in the overtime and getting me through the hard times...........It can be done with very little, but you have to be realistic and fight for what you want.

Edit: despite my thrift, my kids have never wanted for anything, and I'm so bloody proud of 'em for not wanting what other kids seem to want.

kev

Guest Bernicem80

Reading through this whole thread has been very interesting! Good to hear how other people have done it!

We came out just over a year ago with a rucksack each on our backs and 10k in the bank - nothing else! Didn't have jobs to go to and had no idea where we wanted to be. OK, in hindsight we were a little under prepared, but it made it a whole adventure and was the best time! Something I will remember for ever! :laugh:

We spent 5 days in Sydney where we bought a car (fair enough it was 20yrs old - but it got us to Cairns and back - in fact we have only just got rid of it!). We did the travelling thing for a few months, yes in a tent, but it was great fun and enabled us to see parts of Aus that we may not have seen otherwise!

Its not easy with not much money - but we have survived. It was 6months until I got a job! We were lucky that we had family to stay with for 2months, but we soon moved into a cheap rental ($250pw). Might not have been what we had in the UK - but who cares, we wanna spend our time outdoors anyway!

We survived a year on just one income! Ok we haven't got much furniture, beanbags to sit on (no sofa!) and we got our fridge/freezer and washing machine at a garage sale. So even though we do not have much - life is rich in so many other ways! When we do eventually decide to sell our house in the UK then we will have a few bits to bring out, but at the moment we are more than happy to make do!

Yes it is definately worth saving as much as you can to make the big move easier and less stressful, but we certainly didn't want to wait or put our new life on hold any longer than we did!

People always say you leave to your means and like so many others have said 'you don't spend what you haven't got!'- so we haven't got much but hey we do have a great life! :yes:

Guest guest30038
<snip>

People always say you leave to your means and like so many others have said 'you don't spend what you haven't got!'- so we haven't got much but hey we do have a great life!

Lovely post. :notworthy: Doing it tough ain't so tough if you've got each other eh? :yes:

Well done.

kev

Guest guest30038
hi we are moving out to the gold coast in may with £40,000 we are planning on at least one of us getting a job before we arrive myself been in nursing and husband being a engineer,(any assistance with jobs welcome) we just want to have a relaxed and comfortable life with our 2 gorgeous girls do you think we are been realistic:jiggy:

No problems with that capital if you are working from the off.

kev

Guest Bernicem80
Lovely post. :notworthy: Doing it tough ain't so tough if you've got each other eh?

Well done.

kev

Yup, thats right! Its the people that matter and the life you want - not possessions! :jiggy:

My wife's a nurse and we relied on her to start working as soon as we came in 2001. Nurses have great options and flexibility so you should do fine. Use the system to your benefit.

You may have already done this but please contact the local Nurses Registration Board and organise in advance to do any course or training they require before issuing you with a Registration in Queensland as soon as you arrive. The sooner you are registered the quicker you can earn money instead of spending savings. You don't want to arrive and be told their is a waiting list for the required training course.

Ask any potenail employer how long before you can access the Fringe Benefit Tax concessions available to Hospitals . This will allow you to pay for rent / mortgage / car from pre-tax earnings and saves you $1000's in tax over the years.

You can't afford for things to go wrong so as soon as you start work arrange for some insurances through your Superannuation (Pension aco****). Again this is paid out of your employer contributiosn so does not effect your take home pay. This will provide some protection for you and your family in a worst case sceanario. Do not cancel any UK policies until cover replaced over here.

These are just some general ideas and you shoudl get some specific advice for your own circumstances.

regards

Liam

flights................... $4400

shipping.................$3200

car hire 5wks ........$2000

hotels 5wks............$5700

petrol 5wks............$300

food 5wks..............$1400

rent (6months in advance ) $18200

bond.........................$700

new car.................$18000

hubbys car.............$4000

furniture.................$9000

lap top....................$600

kids bikes /trampoline etc...........$2000

total $69500....thats approx 35000 english pound ( sorry no pound sign on oz pc )

this list is so minimal and basic the real cost is prob another 30% on top when you include theme parks, eating out, take aways, hair dressers, school fees etc etc

I have just discovered this jem of a post. Read only the first page of answers.

I actually disagree with the above figures.

The author says this are minimal and basic cost and that 30% must be added. Wrong!

The above is minimalistic, bottom of the basement, standing only cost.

Ill procede to list my expenses, (mind you 21 years ago) when I came to OZ

flights................... US$ 12,000 (First class for 5)

shipping.................US$ 9000 (three 40 foot containers included a boat and two cars)

car hire 15wks ........$1200 (Thats the time it took to convert my cars to left hand drive)

Car conversion........$ 30,000

various hotels 5wks............$8000 ( we took a little holiday to Tahiti)

petrol 5wks............$3000 (I drive only V8 or V12)

food 5wks..............$5000 (Take away from the Sheraton in Australia is horribly expensive

rent (24 months in advance ) $25,000

bond.........................$7000

new car.................$100,000 ( I got sick of my Hummer and bought a Range Rover)

Wife's car.............$2000 (I got a bargain on a Datsun:laugh:)

furniture.................$75,000 (The antique shop in Double Bay did not give me any discount)

lap top....................$8000 (Toshiba was the only I could buy 20 years ago)

kids bikes etc...........$15000 (Got a bargain with polaris quadra bikes)

Add to this boarding school fees for King's school x 2 = 60,000 a year

PLC girls school in croydon 18,000 per year

............................................................................................End of Joke>>>

Now for what really happened 21 years ago.

Got here and camped in a friends sun room with the whole family for a week.

I had sold my hose for 21,000 US. Put the lot in the bank

Spent $800 on a bond and rented a small house paid $190 per week.

one month later was working for BHP.

Changed jobs many times, got into a few different business, years later bought a house for $120,000 and used what was left of my "capital", 16,000 dollars for the deposit.

We have since moved on to bigger and better things, my wife had her medical degree recognised after years of exams and delay tactics by the AMA.

It all depnends on how determined and how "hungry" you are. Clearly migration is not for anyone.

Still I think I shouldn't have sold that Hummer.....

Guest singlemum
Thank you Liam, that was very useful info :-) helped ease my mind a little on the whole 'what you intitled to as an immigrant' any other useful info regarding family tax benefits etc would be great :biggrin:

again thank you

Lu xx

I would also be interested in the above. :biggrin:

One thing your superranuation is your pension ,your employer pays 9%of your salary ,some pay more , payin life insurance out of it does eat a lot of it up ,depends on your age ,i think its helps with initial costs , most public workers can access salary sacrifice where you and the sal sac company pay a certain proportion of your salary each time for rent ,enterrtainment cars out of your gross earnings then the form pays you the amount the next day . Helps save a bit of tax and is helpful to peeps on or around the tax bands ,

Thank you Liam, that was very useful info :-) helped ease my mind a little on the whole 'what you intitled to as an immigrant' any other useful info regarding family tax benefits etc would be great :biggrin:

again thank you

Lu xx

These sites are the best for explaining Family Tax benefit entitlements

http://www.welfarerights.org.au/Factsheets/fsftb.doc

Family Tax Benefit Part A

Hope they help

Liam

Guest Bernicem80
Frugal living is the way to go , no use gettin into a lot of debt , so if everyone lived by this philosophy you would be out of a job :biglaugh:

Ha ha ha!! Yes I guess I would!!!

• 8 months later...

Definately it depends on people's needs, Most people I know has done it with 10k and far less. Who on earth is going to rent a car of 2000Aus dollars? That is a waste...ship your car...and lots of everything else.

I think living in the UK for six hellish years with three tiny tots in a 50sqmetre flat with harrassing neighbours makes living in a tent in Aus seem like a walk in the park.

Guest itskaren
Definately it depends on people's needs, Most people I know has done it with 10k and far less. Who on earth is going to rent a car of 2000Aus dollars? That is a waste...ship your car...and lots of everything else.

I think living in the UK for six hellish years with three tiny tots in a 50sqmetre flat with harrassing neighbours makes living in a tent in Aus seem like a walk in the park.

A friend of mine in Melbourne shipped their car and she said it was the worst mistake they have ever made. The tax implications on arrival was extremely expensive and they were not allowed to put any items in the car.

Working in ED In Melbourne I see so much violence and crime much worse than I ever saw in Bristol where I worked before.

Australia is not the land of milk and honey much to people's disappointment.

Guest guest36187

Ive heard taht several times about shipping cars. We boguht brand new the day we arrived!! Cost us $14000. Exchange rate at the time was 2.53 to the pound x

Guest Mark X

I would agree that Australia isnt as cheap as it used to be compared to the UK, but it can still be done on a budget. You don't need to pay 6 months rent upfront, you can buy furniture from Garage sales and secondhand shops and buy a cheap car.

Obviously if you have a family costs do add up more than if you are only a couple, but there are still ways to reduce costs and there are jobs available out here, if you are prepared to be flexible at first where you live and what job you do. Once you are settled in you can look for your ideal job.

I would agree that Australia isnt as cheap as it used to be compared to the UK, but it can still be done on a budget. You don't need to pay 6 months rent upfront, you can buy furniture from Garage sales and secondhand shops and buy a cheap car.

Obviously if you have a family costs do add up more than if you are only a couple, but there are still ways to reduce costs and there are jobs available out here, if you are prepared to be flexible at first where you live and what job you do. Once you are settled in you can look for your ideal job.

Abso bloomin lutely! We came with £10,000. and we are here and we are doing fine thanks. We only hired a car for a week so that cost $300 and we bought a car for $4000 a banger but who cares it does the job. We didnt have to pay any rent up front and we have managed to get furniture really cheaply at fantastic furniture and furniture spot. We also got a lovely bedroom suite from a garage sale. It can be done and people should not be scared off of trying!:jiggy:

Archived