how much does it really cost....how to blow 40k

Guest sunseekers

It's a good idea to check out The Shed on this forum too, as I managed to score a lovely dining suite for $200 from a family going back, and they paid a lot more for it than that. Everyone says "where did you get that from" and I said the Shed ! Also it is worth going to the auction houses for cars, they are often repossessions etc and as long as you get someone to look at them, you can save a bomb. Somewhere like Pickles Auctions etc.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest flakey
Hi All,

Iv seen so many posts on here with people saying the likes of " can me and my familly of five come out with just 6k ?" well to be perfectly honest iv wanted to scream.......no can you **** ! but darent cos i loved pio and was affraid of the come back i was likely to get but since iv been in Oz 4 months and love my life i no longer spend any time on pio anymore so i would very much like to warm people..not that oz is crap ! not that you wont get work ! just one thing.... it costs a small fortune to set yourself up here...we have made quite a lot of freinds here and the one thing all the brits that manage to stay have in common is they came with a decent wedge and spent a big lump of it starting there new life, at least 40k ( british pound ) ourselves included. please please dont come hear without dareing to do the math ( like i did ) just really think about the cost of all the things iv listed below, granted you dont have to get an 18k car but second hand cars here are NOT cheap and the bargain basement car my hubby got for work is just about standing. you may find that budget you had stretching when you see the cars and prices etc.

I love the sunny coast and dont regret my decision to emigrate in fact with every week that passes i feel more happy with my new life and more and more settled to the point where the thought of returning to grim uk makes me shudder, we are however financially ok, if we were not i think we might have had to return, like it or not like apparently so many do, not through choice but literally running out of money. its so sad to only have 30k and waste it on seeing the " life you could have had " if you catch my drift. please please take this post the way its intended, if you have less than 30k and dont want to live in a tent...save and revist the idea when your a bit better off, especially if you have little ones...if you are financially sound get yourself out here its by far the BEST decision you will ever make....life in the sun is sweet.

anything with 5wk is start up costs of the first 5wks....

flights................... $4400

shipping.................$3200

car hire 5wks ........$2000

hotels 5wks............$5700

petrol 5wks............$300

food 5wks..............$1400

rent (6months in advance ) $18200

bond.........................$700

new car.................$18000

hubbys car.............$4000

furniture.................$9000

lap top....................$600

kids bikes /trampoline etc...........$2000

total $69500....thats approx 35000 english pound ( sorry no pound sign on oz pc )

this list is so minimal and basic the real cost is prob another 30% on top when you include theme parks, eating out, take aways, hair dressers, school fees etc etc

lots of love to all...

Colette x:hug:

I see this is quite old. Have these prices increased much since the OP?

no disrespect to those who jump on with the 'we only came with 10k' brigade but things are rapid changing, read the post again and see what the message is, whatever you think it will cost add more to be on the safe side.

$10k is only 6 grand english, nothing to start with. need a decent wedge to get thru the initial basic start up. great for those who came with next to nothing but lets be realistic for those coming to oz now. Its dear in Oz at the moment its just the way it is. be prepared

It all depends on your wants and needs. It actually can be done for less than $10k we did and so did lots of others!

I appreciate your motives Sunseekers and you sound very positive but for some it really IS all about how you want and are prepared to live! No we don't live in a tent:skeptical:..we live in a nice 4x2 rental filled with mostly second hand (not that you'd know it!) furniture and Kmart/Ikea bargains! I love our house and am proud of what we've achieved on a budget. As for cars-buy privately, haggle hard and you'll get a bargain. Ours cost less than $3k for 2, a 1995 mitsubishi and a 1991 mazda...not everyones cup of tea but material possessions come second to enjoying our life for us.

Six months on we're starting to think about saving/buying a house and replacing the second hand stuff bit by bit. It CAN be done. :spinny:

:notworthy: I love this girl.

no disrespect to those who jump on with the 'we only came with 10k' brigade but things are rapid changing, read the post again and see what the message is, whatever you think it will cost add more to be on the safe side.

$10k is only 6 grand english, nothing to start with. need a decent wedge to get thru the initial basic start up. great for those who came with next to nothing but lets be realistic for those coming to oz now. Its dear in Oz at the moment its just the way it is. be prepared

Well realistically I don't think it has become much more expensive in the past four months. Its all dependent on circumstances obviously if you have kids you will have to add extra on.

Guest kmthor
Hi All,

Iv seen so many posts on here with people saying the likes of " can me and my familly of five come out with just 6k ?" well to be perfectly honest iv wanted to scream.......no can you **** ! but darent cos i loved pio and was affraid of the come back i was likely to get but since iv been in Oz 4 months and love my life i no longer spend any time on pio anymore so i would very much like to warm people..not that oz is crap ! not that you wont get work ! just one thing.... it costs a small fortune to set yourself up here...we have made quite a lot of freinds here and the one thing all the brits that manage to stay have in common is they came with a decent wedge and spent a big lump of it starting there new life, at least 40k ( british pound ) ourselves included. please please dont come hear without dareing to do the math ( like i did ) just really think about the cost of all the things iv listed below, granted you dont have to get an 18k car but second hand cars here are NOT cheap and the bargain basement car my hubby got for work is just about standing. you may find that budget you had stretching when you see the cars and prices etc.

I love the sunny coast and dont regret my decision to emigrate in fact with every week that passes i feel more happy with my new life and more and more settled to the point where the thought of returning to grim uk makes me shudder, we are however financially ok, if we were not i think we might have had to return, like it or not like apparently so many do, not through choice but literally running out of money. its so sad to only have 30k and waste it on seeing the " life you could have had " if you catch my drift. please please take this post the way its intended, if you have less than 30k and dont want to live in a tent...save and revist the idea when your a bit better off, especially if you have little ones...if you are financially sound get yourself out here its by far the BEST decision you will ever make....life in the sun is sweet.

anything with 5wk is start up costs of the first 5wks....

flights................... $4400

shipping.................$3200

car hire 5wks ........$2000

hotels 5wks............$5700

petrol 5wks............$300

food 5wks..............$1400

rent (6months in advance ) $18200

bond.........................$700

new car.................$18000

hubbys car.............$4000

furniture.................$9000

lap top....................$600

kids bikes /trampoline etc...........$2000

total $69500....thats approx 35000 english pound ( sorry no pound sign on oz pc )

this list is so minimal and basic the real cost is prob another 30% on top when you include theme parks, eating out, take aways, hair dressers, school fees etc etc

lots of love to all...

Colette x:hug:

this is a great post... yes the prices may change and you could save a bit here or there but all in all this post is spot on.. the more money you have or the ability you have to earn large the easier it will be for you.

yes it can be done in a tent and on a push bike but why would you if you didnt need too... i think this post is just drawing attention to this

km

Guest kmthor
Well realistically I don't think it has become much more expensive in the past four months. Its all dependent on circumstances obviously if you have kids you will have to add extra on.

i think it has in QLD and in for more with the floods

this is a great post... yes the prices may change and you could save a bit here or there but all in all this post is spot on.. the more money you have or the ability you have to earn large the easier it will be for you.

yes it can be done in a tent and on a push bike but why would you if you didnt need too... i think this post is just drawing attention to this

km

Obviously anything is easier the more money you throw at it.

Guest guest30038
Obviously anything is easier the more money you throw at it.

And going back isn't easier if you've chucked it at being here. We kept a contingency fund for ages until we decided it was definitely for us.

To spend 2k (more if the truth be known) on items that you've already got, just because you can't wait for your shipment is madness, as is $700 a week rent paid up front for 6 months. IMHO. The OP resurfaced later under another username asking about ping ponging so if they have decided to return, lesser funding to do so, is the result of their own throwing caution to the wind IMHO.

kev

"One of the worst things about life is not how nasty the nasty people are.You know that already. It is how nasty the nice people can be"

Anthony Powell,

And going back isn't easier if you've chucked it at being here. We kept a contingency fund for ages until we decided it was definitely for us.

To spend 2k (more if the truth be known) on items that you've already got, just because you can't wait for your shipment is madness, as is $700 a week rent paid up front for 6 months. IMHO. The OP resurfaced later under another username asking about ping ponging so if they have decided to return, lesser funding to do so, is the result of their own throwing caution to the wind IMHO.

kev

"One of the worst things about life is not how nasty the nasty people are.You know that already. It is how nasty the nice people can be"

Anthony Powell,

Exactly - people are kidding themselves if they know oz is the place for them after a few weeks or even months.

We moved into a furnished flat and didn't need a car because we both work nearby. If we both want to stay long term then we will start spending more money on permanent 'things'.

Guest siamsusie

I suppose Chalky, each and every one have different priorities ....

I could buy a sizeable piece of land on Bruny island for $55-$60,000, so that amount of money wouldnt even come into my thought process.

$24,000 on cars alone including car hire seems steep to me, but 2nd hand cars do retain their value admittedly!

Items such as furniture.. well I love garage sales and have picked up some amazing pieces of Tasmanian furniture along the way for next to nothing... Australia tends to be transitory in many states and the bargains are there to be had. The same applies for childrens toys/trampoline etc... again garage sales are the way to go.

Guest guest36762
I suppose Chalky, each and every one have different priorities ....

I could buy a sizeable piece of land on Bruny island for $55-$60,000, so that amount of money wouldnt even come into my thought process.

$24,000 on cars alone including car hire seems steep to me, but 2nd hand cars do retain their value admittedly!

Items such as furniture.. well I love garage sales and have picked up some amazing pieces of Tasmanian furniture along the way for next to nothing... Australia tends to be transitory in many states and the bargains are there to be had. The same applies for childrens toys/trampoline etc... again garage sales are the way to go.

Nice idea but I've seen nothing but tat at garage sales. Then again I don't live in Tasmania. Also it's not fair to compare costs etc if you haven't got little kids. It's all very well living in a flat near work if you're footloose and fancy free.

I'm not sure what the underlying point of some of these posts is except to brag about how frugal you can be and make out that someone in particular (collette, whoever she is) is at best, daft.

Guest siamsusie
Nice idea but I've seen nothing but tat at garage sales. Then again I don't live in Tasmania. Also it's not fair to compare costs etc if you haven't got little kids. It's all very well living in a flat near work if you're footloose and fancy free.

I'm not sure what the underlying point of some of these posts is except to brag about how frugal you can be and make out that someone in particular (collette, whoever she is) is at best, daft.

I was actually referring to WA where 6 years ago I commenced my life in Australia.. and being a mining town it is very transient... NO tat.. all genuine bargains....It is irrespective whether I have small children or not, I happen to see some wonderful second hand toys on my travels. Whats this about a flat and footloose and fancy free ??

I am not making anyone look daft... actually that is more your forte than mine..... if you actually read what I said, everyone has different values and ways of living.... There is absolutely no reason for the attack.. Collette whoever she may be more than likely would do things differently as we all would when embarking out on pastures new!

Guest guest30038

The "underlying point" is to counter-act the impression given by the OP to prospective migrants. Most members are here to help in a fair and balanced way so why should there be any inference that those who posted on the thread had any other motive?

Statements such as: "if you have less than 30k and dont want to live in a tent...save and revist the idea when your a bit better off"

and

"one thing all the brits that manage to stay have in common is they came with a decent wedge and spent a big lump of it starting there new life, at least 40k ( british pound ) ourselves included"

Now how the hell would she know what "all the Brits" spent?

Subsequent posters made it clear that they came with a lot less,..............yes, even those that migrated around the same time.

Now why would you think, that other members (quite a lot of them actually), attempting to inform prospective migrants about their circumstance and experience, in order to provide a "fair and balanced view" is bragging about how frugal they can be, or has the intent to show the OP as "daft"? :rolleyes:

kev

Anthony Powell,

Guest kmthor
The "underlying point" is to counter-act the impression given by the OP to prospective migrants. Most members are here to help in a fair and balanced way so why should there be any inference that those who posted on the thread had any other motive?

Statements such as: "if you have less than 30k and dont want to live in a tent...save and revist the idea when your a bit better off"

and

"one thing all the brits that manage to stay have in common is they came with a decent wedge and spent a big lump of it starting there new life, at least 40k ( british pound ) ourselves included"

Now how the hell would she know what "all the Brits" spent?

Subsequent posters made it clear that they came with a lot less,..............yes, even those that migrated around the same time.

Now why would you think, that other members (quite a lot of them actually), attempting to inform prospective migrants about their circumstance and experience, in order to provide a "fair and balanced view" is bragging about how frugal they can be, or has the intent to show the OP as "daft"? :rolleyes:

kev

Anthony Powell,

lmao... its seems to me your idear of a "fair and balanced view" is if differs from yourself or siamsusie them its worthless..

you really need to get over yourselfs... people have there own opinions and shock horror they dont always agree with yours

and believe it or not there are other with the same and more knowledge than yours out there. it is quite pathetic how you both hijack threads when something is not to "your " liking god help those that are trying to get impartial information from the UK

km

I think you need to be less sensitive. I am not saying she is dagger I am just pointing out that it can be done on less.

I imagine most migrants will travel with less than 60k.

i

Guest guest30038
lmao... its seems to me your idear of a "fair and balanced view" is if differs from yourself or siamsusie them its worthless..

you really need to get over yourselfs... people have there own opinions and shock horror they dont always agree with yours

and believe it or not there are other with the same and more knowledge than yours out there. it is quite pathetic how you both hijack threads when something is not to "your " liking god help those that are trying to get impartial information from the UK

km

You're being "fair and balanced" are you?

If I disagree with something, I say so, If I agree with someone, likewise I say so. It doesn't matter a jot who they are, it's what they say that I'm concerned with. Seems pretty fair and balanced to me.

As for "hijacking" threads :goofy: Am I somehow supposed to refrain from voicing my opinion just because you see it as hijacking?

I suppose my "thanks" and my "reputation" have been derived from not being impartial? I must have fooled an awful lot of folk out there, but not you eh? :rolleyes:

Your fair and balanced opionion of me, and the length of time that you've been on the forum to arrive at it, is duly noted. I stand admonished.............please excuse my reproachable behaviour. <hangs head in shame> :embarrassed:

kev

Anthony Powell,

Guest guest33730

I realise there are the usual differing opinions on this topic but please don't let things get personnel otherwise we will need to consider closing the thread.

Play nice!!

Daniel

Guest siamsusie

km

KMthor, we havent met , you have just joined this site ...yes? you have attacked two people on here who dont enjoy a reputation for causing problems on this forum. If you care to read the forums rules and regulations about attacking members, and you are still not satisfied then may I suggest that you contact a Moderator!!

Thank you!

Amen to that. I'm trying to picture where and what they were living in for $700 a week. Do you have the OPs new nom de plume?

Archived