how much does it really cost....how to blow 40k

Guest sunseekers

Guest sunseekers
sunseekers, i agree total with you spot on with the cost,we are a family of 5 ,(14yrs,19yrs,11yrs) .at present only hubby works.

hundreds of resumes sent out by me and son and yet to get a job!!! so people be warned !!!!,so you can imagine the cost to feed us all,and the house hold bills, on just one wage a night mare.

Hi Megmor,

I just cant imagine why people try to paint a pic that just aint so !!! beggers belief ! If some one asked me certain questions id tell em the truth...ie...whats the nightlife like ?? ****ng **** !!! would be the answer... but people go on these sites and come out with all sorts !!

it aint cheap full stop ...if you have good money great if not dont listen to the morons ..they must be weirdo's in wales with nowt better to do ( no offence to the welsh )

all in all on a balance my life here is loads better but if i was single and 5 yrs younger id wanna shoot myself...

col x

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you are so right,my son 19yrs has never stayed in so much,he has no friends,no wonder all the young people go to the uk,i feel so sorry for him,for nearly 5 months now he has tired so hard for a job ,he keeps giving up and then picks himself up again,if he doesn't get a job hes back to the uk.

he has no transport, it is us paying for the fares,not the people on this site who will say well its on x amount on train(but he has no money!!!!) the young lad needs a life here and you need money here if he came out with what people say they come out and can live on , he would not survive right now.

Guest guest17301

Oh dear this threads turning sour. Are you saying I didn't buy 2 cars for $3k because I assure I did-why would I lie about being skint..:no: Get off your high horse woman. You're talking ****e IMO

Guest sunseekers

bless him...thats an awful place for a 19yr old lad to be.... bet your heart breaks for him. Think of it from a dffrent angle though and you are saving him from the culture of alchol abuse and violence that is so common place all over the UK. he may take time to get a job and mates here in Oz but when he does he might just be happy and a whole lot safer than most parts of the UK.

I dont miss anything in the UK apart from my night life ! but i miss it terribly... a piss up with the girls just does not exist here but least iv been there and done that ( a lot ) ...a 19yr old lad aint !! poor love..

all the best to you and yours hun x

Guest guest12791
Hi

What you aint got you can't spend, that's it nothing more to add.

Natalie x

so true magnetic!

First time we spent over 40k on rentals, shopping, and car rental mostly!!! returned back to england skint but had good wages and jobs to come back to.

Next time getting a place as cheap as pos near work (if i get a job) and eating out less and not having a car at all getting a scooter!!! until i have enough to get what i need

a lesson learned , annemarie:cute:

Sunseeker should be congratulated for sharing what it ccost her family and for itemising it, everyone is free to consider which costs do/don't apply to them. We had $25K in the bank when we arrived and are now living hand to mouth!

I'd say for those still planing to make the move be realistic about how much 'downnsizing' you will be comfortable with once the adventure is over. We are managing without a lot of things we took for granted in the UK - satellite TV, mobile phones, broadband, 'pocket money' for going out/clothes etc. and at first sourcing stuff on freecycle etc. was all part of the fun but the novelty wears off.

I acknowledge many people live like that in the UK too but we gave up an affluent (but stressful!) lifestyle to be here.

Jules

anything with 5wk is start up costs of the first 5wks....

flights................... $4400

shipping.................$3200

car hire 5wks ........$2000

hotels 5wks............$5700

petrol 5wks............$300

food 5wks..............$1400

rent (6months in advance ) $18200

bond.........................$700

new car.................$18000

hubbys car.............$4000

furniture.................$9000

lap top....................$600

kids bikes /trampoline etc...........$2000

total $69500....thats approx 35000 english pound ( sorry no pound sign on oz pc )

lots of love to all...

Colette x:hug:

lap top....................$600

flights................... $4400

I think these things are a part of everybodies budget and are really pre Australia expenses So thats £8200 deducted from your total

These things could of been bought down in price if you would of stayed at a cheaper hotel and maybe hired a cheaper car

Car Rental & Car Hire Rentabomb in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Surfers Paradise, Gold Coast and Cairns. New & Used rental & hire

6 seater station wagon $238 per week

Needed regardless but understand why you have included it

If you are on a tight budget you only need to pay 1 month + bond

Saving £17,500

Lets face it you can buy an old bomb for a $1000 agree you get what you pay for but spending £4000 on a car doesnt garantee you trouble free motoring

Saving £21,000

Needed I guess but could they of not be packed in the container?

Potential saving £2000

Alot of new furiture? If you are waiting for your container to arrive could you of not rented it or bought it from the salvos I know it would be old and not match but does it really matter for the short space of time?

Surly £8000 could be cut there (even more depending what you needed)

Saving £58,000

Total spent £7,300 and I'm sure with a tighter budget it could be done for even less.

I'm not judging you and your spending just showing other people it can be done, but to be fair you are set up for the long run and my budget is based on a short time with things needing to be replaced over time.

Guest Burness2Oz

I personally think The original thread from Sunseekers was obviously an accurate reflection on what they spent to set up but it will not be everyones costs and everyone considers different things important and has a different idea on what they would pay for it.

I personally would not intend on staying in a hotel or renting a car for 5weeks but each to their own.

I agree with Magnetic 'you spend what you have'.

C'mon ladies lets not make personal insulting comments, don't we tell our children that if don't have something nice to say not to say it at all??!!

Guest inlimbo
bless him...thats an awful place for a 19yr old lad to be.... bet your heart breaks for him. Think of it from a dffrent angle though and you are saving him from the culture of alchol abuse and violence that is so common place all over the UK. he may take time to get a job and mates here in Oz but when he does he might just be happy and a whole lot safer than most parts of the UK.

I dont miss anything in the UK apart from my night life ! but i miss it terribly... a piss up with the girls just does not exist here but least iv been there and done that ( a lot ) ...a 19yr old lad aint !! poor love..

all the best to you and yours hun x

You kidding:embarrassed: the youth is Oz are just the same as the kids in the UK with booze and drugs, no difference.

Guest inlimbo

I know why you are so short tempered gal.

Its hard pretending you love Oz when you know you dont in your heart sunseekers....let of steam gal, see ya back in London next year:biglaugh:

The above mentioned is right!(waldo) :arghh:( saying nothing about the wrestling!)your both sound girls( both nice looking,strangely)chill out eh?PS glad your both happy:yes:,so "calm down,calm down".( thought i'd save someone else saying it!stereotypes and all that yer know!LMAO )

I know why you are so short tempered gal.

Its hard pretending you love Oz when you know you dont in your heart sunseekers....let of steam gal, see ya back in London next year

Limbo.............why does your sig say "should i stay or should i go"? when ALL you do is run oz down? just wondering:yes::wink:

Guest inlimbo
Limbo.............why does your sig say "should i stay or should i go"? when ALL you do is run oz down? just wondering:yes::wink:

I am prepared to go back but the other half hates the place.

I am prepared to go back but the other half hates the place.

For you Pablo

quote from inlimbo

18 months in Freemantle Perth but the wife hated it and it was come back or lose her, so back to Kent...I still miss Oz but the weather has been so good and the Country looks so green and scenic that it is probably blinding me to the reason I left in the first place which was for a better life.

I heard the UK was n its knees but I have got my old job back as an electrician and have plenty of work.

I really want to try and get her to give in another go, maybe somewhere else in Oz as she found perth boring, but up to now it is not as bad as I thought it would be.

all in all on a balance my life here is loads better but if i was single and 5 yrs younger id wanna shoot myself...

col x

Sorry but why have you brought your children here to grow up? Do you think they wont feel the same as you when they get to be teenagers because as you have admitted life is pretty dull for a teen unless they like the beach eh?

Guest bowbrummer

Personally if I disliked the area or state I lived in I would make sure I travelled the width and breadth of Australia before I could justifyably give an opinion about the country. Such a diverse land! j

Guest guest30038

Blimey were are you?

Up the road from me which is why they find it so cheap...........the sponging b*stards! :biglaugh:

kev

Guest AndyandYvonneD
Up the road from me which is why they find it so cheap...........the sponging b*stards!

kev

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Yvonne

Guest guest30038

We (wife, 2 kids) came with UK8k and stayed with a friend for a week. Within a fortnight my wife had found work and had enrolled in Uni for a Grad Dip, as she was ward trained in the UK and wanted to be better qualified than the younger nurses she was teaching. She cycled to work (22k there and back) and to uni 2 nights a week (40k there and back) for a year and then we bought a magna for 800 bucks which lasted us 4 yrs. This was only at my insistence as the bloody magpies had knocked her off the bloody bike twice........I wasn't thinking about her welfare more about how we'd manage if she was off work :biglaugh:

I walked to the nearest shops (6k) daily, with 2 kids in a tandem buggy and kept house. We had secured a mortgage on acreage for 38k in our first year and sold it for 27k within 6 months as we found it couldn't be built on, except at huge expense (we didn't know about soil tests and certain drainage problems)..........that set us back a wee tad.

2 yrs later we bought our first home mortgaged at 111000. It was another year before we got our second car...........a 22yr old datsun that lasted us another 4 yrs........the magna was still going strong.

14 yrs after arriving, we are totally debt free, own a Landcruiser, Astra, and a boat. We have 2 kids in private school, and we have assets of over a million. My wife is a nurse..........we've got there on her wage and fortitude, and my smart shopping and thrifty spending. Are we lucky or did we simply not set our sights too high for the present and focused on the future?

I'm not being smug, I'm just so proud of my wife for putting in the overtime and getting me through the hard times...........It can be done with very little, but you have to be realistic and fight for what you want.

Edit: despite my thrift, my kids have never wanted for anything, and I'm so bloody proud of 'em for not wanting what other kids seem to want.

kev

you are so right,my son 19yrs has never stayed in so much,he has no friends,no wonder all the young people go to the uk,i feel so sorry for him,for nearly 5 months now he has tired so hard for a job ,he keeps giving up and then picks himself up again,if he doesn't get a job hes back to the uk.

he has no transport, it is us paying for the fares,not the people on this site who will say well its on x amount on train(but he has no money!!!!) the young lad needs a life here and you need money here if he came out with what people say they come out and can live on , he would not survive right now.

Your son might find it better to go to tafe where he will meet people of his own age.My 17 year old has found the move hard.He was going to get a job when we arrived but soon found he had no friends, so has gone back the school.This has been good for him as he now has a group of good friends. His out more here than he was in the uk and has better friends.In the uk he had a part time job over here he has not been able to find a job.But he has not tried very hard, So we have been having to give him money and pay for things for him.We also are a one income family of 4.We have been lucky my OH is earning double what he did in the uk so thing for us are very good.

Sarah

Guest JoanneHattersley

anything with 5wk is start up costs of the first 5wks....

flights................... $4400 -

necessary costs!

-

about what we paid I think.

-

$400 a week??? Rent a bomb is great place! As long as the car goes!!!!

$1140 per week??? Where are you staying??!! You can get MUCH cheaper than that!

Necessary costs

Necessary costs

$700 odd per week??? I rented in a gated community in Brizzy for less than $400 per week!

Necessary!

WE did this. My car was new - $14000 for a 2004 Toyota Echo - and we bought a 2nd hand Holden Jackaroo for Mark - This was 10 years old and it is going well!

IF you have furniture coming better to beg, borrow and steal! We had no furniture coming so bought all ours, a lot from Super-A-Mart. Very good value. WE bought some odds and ends in Kmart to get us through but that was only a couple of hundred $ worth. We borrowed some pans etc!

The kids will find other things to do!!!

this list is so minimal and basic the real cost is prob another 30% on top when you include theme parks, eating out, take aways, hair dressers, school fees etc etc

You can cut costs by not eating out and having takeaways all the time!! Theme parks will always be here, they are not going anywhere!!!

You can come out with a lot less that you did and manage really well. If you havent got the money you cant have it! Thats how I live!

If how you did it worked well for you...good on ya! But to all those who are coming out with less, please know that it CAN be done!

I think what you do when you get here is down to personal choice, we managed to get a 12 week furnished rental and paid only $8,000 - they reduced the rent because it was a long rent, we paid only a pet bond for our cat, the rental included gas and electricity and internet access so we didn't have major bills to pay. This allowed time for our container to arrive (and we also bought a house). We did have to buy some new items of furniture and probably spent about $10,000 but not all in one go. I know people that have furnished rentals via garage sales and neighbours until their stuff arrives.

We bought a car for $9,000, hubby had a works van, so didn't need a second, but had we needed to we would have bought 2 cheaper ones - our idea was that we'd buy something new when we could afford it and keep some money in the bank.

I've only recently had to hire a car and it cost me $580 for 4 weeks (that's with $35 pw extra to reduce the excess on the insurance), I went to backpackers car rental, they have newer models but I just wanted something to get me to work, it was an old ford fiesta, but it was brilliant and did the job - not everyones cup of tea .... didn't even have a CD player, but it did the job for very little money.

Personally, I don't count the cost of food, petrol etc., as set up costs, i was having to pay that before anyway, and although as promised my kids got bought a trampoline ($300) as we'd promised them we'd get one in Aus and the shipment hadn't arrived, they had to wait for their bikes and other toys to arrive from the UK, whilst they were waiting people loaned us toys, and they'd brought their DS games in their cases.

I think moving here certainly can be done on a budget and I certainly congratulate those that do because it certainly won't have been easy, but you show it can be done, for the rest of us, there's probably going to be a wide variation of what we've spent because we're all different, have different needs and different tastes .... doen't make any of our experiences wrong.

Archived