how much does it really cost....how to blow 40k

Guest sunseekers

Guest sunseekers

Hi All,

Iv seen so many posts on here with people saying the likes of " can me and my familly of five come out with just 6k ?" well to be perfectly honest iv wanted to scream.......no can you **** ! but darent cos i loved pio and was affraid of the come back i was likely to get but since iv been in Oz 4 months and love my life i no longer spend any time on pio anymore so i would very much like to warm people..not that oz is crap ! not that you wont get work ! just one thing.... it costs a small fortune to set yourself up here...we have made quite a lot of freinds here and the one thing all the brits that manage to stay have in common is they came with a decent wedge and spent a big lump of it starting there new life, at least 40k ( british pound ) ourselves included. please please dont come hear without dareing to do the math ( like i did ) just really think about the cost of all the things iv listed below, granted you dont have to get an 18k car but second hand cars here are NOT cheap and the bargain basement car my hubby got for work is just about standing. you may find that budget you had stretching when you see the cars and prices etc.

I love the sunny coast and dont regret my decision to emigrate in fact with every week that passes i feel more happy with my new life and more and more settled to the point where the thought of returning to grim uk makes me shudder, we are however financially ok, if we were not i think we might have had to return, like it or not like apparently so many do, not through choice but literally running out of money. its so sad to only have 30k and waste it on seeing the " life you could have had " if you catch my drift. please please take this post the way its intended, if you have less than 30k and dont want to live in a tent...save and revist the idea when your a bit better off, especially if you have little ones...if you are financially sound get yourself out here its by far the BEST decision you will ever make....life in the sun is sweet.

anything with 5wk is start up costs of the first 5wks....

flights................... $4400

shipping.................$3200

car hire 5wks ........$2000

hotels 5wks............$5700

petrol 5wks............$300

food 5wks..............$1400

rent (6months in advance ) $18200

bond.........................$700

new car.................$18000

hubbys car.............$4000

furniture.................$9000

lap top....................$600

kids bikes /trampoline etc...........$2000

total $69500....thats approx 35000 english pound ( sorry no pound sign on oz pc )

this list is so minimal and basic the real cost is prob another 30% on top when you include theme parks, eating out, take aways, hair dressers, school fees etc etc

lots of love to all...

Colette x:hug:

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest guest17301

It all depends on your wants and needs. It actually can be done for less than $10k we did and so did lots of others!

I appreciate your motives Sunseekers and you sound very positive but for some it really IS all about how you want and are prepared to live! No we don't live in a tent:skeptical:..we live in a nice 4x2 rental filled with mostly second hand (not that you'd know it!) furniture and Kmart/Ikea bargains! I love our house and am proud of what we've achieved on a budget. As for cars-buy privately, haggle hard and you'll get a bargain. Ours cost less than $3k for 2, a 1995 mitsubishi and a 1991 mazda...not everyones cup of tea but material possessions come second to enjoying our life for us.

Six months on we're starting to think about saving/buying a house and replacing the second hand stuff bit by bit. It CAN be done. :spinny:

Guest logga

Hi all

I would like to say that it can be done, its hard work but you can do it.

We are a family of four and came out with less than 10k english.

we have been here 18 months and just moved into our own house that we have just had built

and the pool is nearly in as well, we came here to live the dream and we are doing just that.

Guest inlimbo

The UK may be grim for you but for many more the UK is good and Oz is grim...depends lon your life in either Country.

And adss Fiona says you can do it on £5000 if you have a job to go to straight away.

Guest AndyandYvonneD

We did it for less than 10K, in fact our first car cost $600 of ebay when we got here!!! Accomodation was $800pw at the Chermside Motel, Gympie Rd, Chermside. We got our rental 8 days after we landed in Oz, we paid a month up front plus a weeks rent. so all in all $69,500 sounds like a very expensive holiday to me....hope you enjoyed it.

We too don't regret moving here at all, we think that items such as white goods etc are a lot cheaper than the UK....the only thing I find expensive are tools which are critical for my trade!!

Andy D

Guest inlimbo
We did it for less than 10K, in fact our first car cost $600 of ebay when we got here!!! Accomodation was $800pw at the Chermside Motel, Gympie Rd, Chermside. We got our rental 8 days after we landed in Oz, we paid a month up front plus a weeks rent. so all in all $69,500 sounds like a very expensive holiday to me....hope you enjoyed it.

We too don't regret moving here at all, we think that items such as white goods etc are a lot cheaper than the UK....the only thing I find expensive are tools which are critical for my trade!!

Andy D

Blimey were are you? I found Oz very expensive especially beer:frown:

Guest AndyandYvonneD
Blimey were are you? I found Oz very expensive especially beer:frown:

We're in SE QLD....beer expensive...however if your a wine head you can get 5 ltrs of wine for $17 or £8.50....thats enough to get you well leathered....T bone steaks bought in bulk...just over £1.00 a go...bet ya an't get them that price in the UK

Guest inlimbo
:laugh:You should have brewed your own.They sell the kits in Woolies!!!!!!!!!!!

I know, Coopers kits are pretty good...:jiggy:

Guest J-inOz

I think that you can only make it on less than what the OP is saying if there is a good wage being brought in straight away. We also aimed at buying a used car but found once we got here there was nothing decent below 15 grand. There is no MOT over here, so you really don't know what you are getting for your money.

Yes you can get a car for a couple of thousand dollars but there is only a 3 month warranty on most second hand cars (if you buy from a car lot) so you are stuffed if things start going wrong after that and nine times out of ten they will do.

Even though we had a container coming full of stuff, we still had to buy a fridge, matresses (we just shipped beds over, not mattresses), washing machine and other stuff to tide us over until our container came. You also have to allow for rent up front, bond, school uniform and fees.

Your money can dwindle really fast if you are unable to get a job real fast.

I also have a friendly warning to people that have equity to bring over. The money looks a lot in the bank, especially as it sounds even more when your pounds are doubled into $$. This makes you think you are loaded and you tend to spend as if on holiday. We did this and it is a false sense of security because when all your spare cash goes into buying a house, you are left with living off a weekly wage, which unless it is a good one is a shock to the system when you have to budget hard.

All people when they get here still convert back to pounds and sometimes things don't sound that expensive. But when you are earning aussie dollars and spending aussie dollars, your money doesn't go as far as you think.

Guest AndyandYvonneD
I think that you can only make it on less than what the OP is saying if there is a good wage being brought in straight away. We also aimed at buying a used car but found once we got here there was nothing decent below 15 grand. There is no MOT over here, so you really don't know what you are getting for your money.

Yes you can get a car for a couple of thousand dollars but there is only a 3 month warranty on most second hand cars (if you buy from a car lot) so you are stuffed if things start going wrong after that and nine times out of ten they will do.

Even though we had a container coming full of stuff, we still had to buy a fridge, matresses (we just shipped beds over, not mattresses), washing machine and other stuff to tide us over until our container came. You also have to allow for rent up front, bond, school uniform and fees.

I also have a friendly warning to people that have equity to bring over. The money looks a lot in the bank, especially as it sounds even more when your pounds are doubled into $$. This makes you think you are loaded and you tend to spend as if on holiday. We did this and it is a false sense of security because when all your spare cash goes into buying a house, you are left with living off a weekly wage, which unless it is a good one is a shock to the system when you have to budget hard.

All people when they get here still convert back to pounds and sometimes things don't sound that expensive. But when you are earning aussie dollars and spending aussie dollars, your money doesn't go as far as you think.

Some good points you made there....one thing, cars when sold (in Qld at least) have to have a road safety cert (used to be known as roadworthy)...these last 60 days...then no yearly MOT until you sell the car, then you have to get the afore mentioned.

One thing that is expensive here is bedding!!! or Manchester as the aussies call it.

Andy D

Only have mr plod with his yellow stickers ( mean vehicle needs inspection for road worthyness) . Obvious to uk here ,the summer hammers the cars , loads of poorly cars on the verges. They dont like the heat. Dont think you can put things such as rent in settin up costs , 6 months rent up front means rent free for 6 months or a day to day cost. Its important you have employment to go to else the savings can dwindle . food shoppin .you have to cahnge the habit for soopermarket lol one shop , fruit and veg markets or veg huts, meat warehouse and here fish wholesalers on a saturday but they are openin retail outlets in igas or catch your own ,herring any one?

I'm sorry, but its not surprising you've spent so much money when your rent is $700 pw (which you've paid up front for 6 months), you've complained about the high prices of cars (yet you've bought 2), you stayed in a hotel for 5 weeks and hired a car for the same amount of time.

Just my opinion.

Jim

Guest sunseekers
I'm sorry, but its not surprising you've spent so much money when your rent is $700 pw (which you've paid up front for 6 months), you've complained about the high prices of cars (yet you've bought 2), you stayed in a hotel for 5 weeks and hired a car for the same amount of time.

Just my opinion.

Jim

At what point did i complain ??? no complaint at all just letting people know how it really is ! stayed in a hotel etc for 5 wks to find where we really wanted to live ! Is that such a huge length of time to decide your childrens future ??

Got to admit our Rent is ott but we struggled big time to find somewhere in the right location availale straight away....really in case anyone else has the same one sided view we are NOT complaining just wanted to show people how quickly money and decitions makes money drain away x

I totally agree with jim. We came with only £4000 & got a rental after 7 days. You don't have to rent a rental car. And you sure spend alot on groceries. Not criticizing but to make ppl think it can't b done on a tight budget is BS. It most certainly can be done & LOTS of ppl do it. Not everyone has a house to sell.

I would disagree with you. We didn't have that kind of money, having said that we do have that amount in savings but thankfully I hardly had to touch it.

We managed to get a holiday rental for 3 months until we found a rental place, then rental bond, two cars (not brand new ones I must add), plus we even had a short holiday in Cairns on our way to Perth. It all cost much less than what you quoted. And no, we don't live in a tent, our house is a 2 years old modern 3x2 with double garage. Ok, we certainly don't go out eating in restaurants and having takeaways, but who cares, we are here that what matters and you can go to nice places without having to spend money.

Yes we do have to go without a few things and get things bit by bit, I could go tomorrow and blow all my savings on furniture, electrical stuff, but we just learn how to stick to a budget. It is not easy but you can deffinitely set yourself up with a lot less if you prepared to cut back on other things.

Guest bowbrummer
Hi

What you aint got you can't spend, that's it nothing more to add.

Natalie x

:wubclub:my kind a woman

Not a decent car below 15 grand????!!!! What car do you want? Made of gold?

The car I got is only two years old with 5 years warranty and cost me 10k and its a decent car ta.

Guest Impatient

Hmmm, a good example of what the cost could be, but will come across as a bit gold-plated to some people. Some costs are unavoidable (flights, shipping), but some of the stuff is really not to do with setup.

Bearing in mind that most people pay rent/mortgage in the UK, I would not consider rent/mortgage in Oz to be set up. Similarly for hotel costs, I would only look at the difference between normal (UK) rent/mortgage and hotel bills, and they can be minimised by getting a short-term let before you turn up.

As for cars, most of us change our cars at some point and there is a cost associated with it. Yes you need to budget for it (selling your old car surely offsets some of the cost), but you would have done that anyway. Cars being more expensive is a valid point though. 5 wks car hire seems excessive to me for people that do their research and know what they want before they come, perhaps even order the model they want in advance.

Petrol and food is what you would have paid in the UK anyway. UK laptops work fine in Oz, as do bikes etc.

Not saying you are wrong, just that the list is very scary and represents the lump sum people would need in the bank if they did things your way by leaving everything until they arrive (expensive) and did not have a job to go to.

Interesting though, thanks for posting.

Guest sunseekers
Hmmm, a good example of what the cost could be, but will come across as a bit gold-plated to some people. Some costs are unavoidable (flights, shipping), but some of the stuff is really not to do with setup.

Bearing in mind that most people pay rent/mortgage in the UK, I would not consider rent/mortgage in Oz to be set up. Similarly for hotel costs, I would only look at the difference between normal (UK) rent/mortgage and hotel bills, and they can be minimised by getting a short-term let before you turn up.

As for cars, most of us change our cars at some point and there is a cost associated with it. Yes you need to budget for it (selling your old car surely offsets some of the cost), but you would have done that anyway. Cars being more expensive is a valid point though. 5 wks car hire seems excessive to me for people that do their research and know what they want before they come, perhaps even order the model they want in advance.

Petrol and food is what you would have paid in the UK anyway. UK laptops work fine in Oz, as do bikes etc.

Not saying you are wrong, just that the list is very scary and represents the lump sum people would need in the bank if they did things your way by leaving everything until they arrive (expensive) and did not have a job to go to.

Interesting though, thanks for posting.

great post !!

you have actually made me feel better cos you are very right most of the costs listed would have cost me in the uk anyway ( partially ) with the exception of the kids bikes etc...these where shipped but local kids had everything months befor mine and i could not bare the tears.... doubled up on scooters ,bikes, trampolines and many more items x

ps if you can buy 2 cars in oz for 3k you are ****ing super woman x:laugh:

Our son got married in April last year in the UK and moved to Loganholm between Brisbane and the Goldcoast in May on a 136.

They had about £10,000 left after the wedding, they both did not have any jobs to go to, but they both found work within 4 weeks. They have rented for 12 months and this June they got the keys to their first own home together, nice detacted 3 bed 'low rise' which we look forward to seeing in August. They came out to Oz with his tool kit and not much else, but they did shop around when they needed to buy stuff.They also run 2 nice cars one of which is new, all of which even with UK house price falls they would not have if they had of stayed here.:no:

Two more years and we hope to apply to join them as contributory parents. They love the life in Oz, their only UK friends have now returned to the UK but they have a very good circle of Oz friends so they have had very little time alone, even for their first christmas they were invited to one of their Oz friends.:smile:

sunseekers, i agree total with you spot on with the cost,we are a family of 5 ,(14yrs,19yrs,11yrs) .at present only hubby works.

hundreds of resumes sent out by me and son and yet to get a job!!! so people be warned !!!!,so you can imagine the cost to feed us all,and the house hold bills, on just one wage a night mare.

Guest sunseekers
Our son got married in April last year in the UK and moved to Loganholm between Brisbane and the Goldcoast in May on a 136.

They had about £10,000 left after the wedding, they both did not have any jobs to go to, but they both found work within 4 weeks. They have rented for 12 months and this June they got the keys to their first own home together, nice detacted 3 bed 'low rise' which we look forward to seeing in August. They came out to Oz with his tool kit and not much else, but they did shop around when they needed to buy stuff.They also run 2 nice cars one of which is new, all of which even with UK house price falls they would not have if they had of stayed here.:no:

Two more years and we hope to apply to join them as contributory parents. They love the life in Oz, their only UK friends have now returned to the UK but they have a very good circle of Oz friends so they have had very little time alone, even for their first christmas they were invited to one of their Oz friends.:smile:

Nearly bankrupt me and the hubby getting married never mind having 10k left !!!!

Archived