Calling all ACT PIO'ers!

Guest Squem

Guest wossall

Hi everyone

We are just waiting for all our documents to change to met as they all say required still even though we have had our medicals done last week. We will have to wait and keep checking.

I hope everybody else's application is going ok and hope samfire is not as stressed now. Good luck with the house, we have not put ours on the market as yet as we are not in a rush to move, we are going to validate in the summer hols next year on holiday and have a good luck round. Will keep you informed of developments.

Thanks

Lynne

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Samfire
Hi all!!

Hi Samfire - glad to hear you've rejuvanted and back on track - i was thinking about you the day after - it must be so stressful - good luck with it all - let us know how it goes...

have you found somewhere to live/stay when you get there?

Hi Mikka

Welcome! Fantastic news that you're another for canberra ... Good luck with the application and keep us informed.

Hi Desty!!!

Haven't found somewhere to live yet!!! We've been looking at the rentals on allhomes.com.au but there's nothing to get excited about really! Don't even know where to concentrate our search in terms of suburbs!! We have a basic idea of where we think we'd like to rent, but we don't know if we should wait until we arrive (using short-term accommodation in the meantime)? We'd definitely need somebody to check out any prospective rental for us in person if we were to secure a rental prior to arrival, as i wouldn't judge a place by a picture alone!!!

We could probably afford up to €480 pm rent - kinda like some of the townhouses in Gungahlin area, simply because they are newer and "cleaner" than most of the other rental properties advertised. Ideally, would love a 3-bed with garage - very clean with a patio area and small back garden - that's for a six-month lease. Would like a 2-bed apartment or 3-bed furnished rental for short-term 3-6weeks upon arrival. The business migration centre have offered to help us find "affordable" short-term accommodation upon arrival, and we were going to take them up on their offer - anybody have any experience of this, and if so, did it work out? How much is "affordable"?? I have to say, this is a real melon scratcher!!!:unsure:

We have just opened a bank account, and won't have our details forwarded to us for 14 days. At least it's a start!! Anyone have any helpful info to offer, please feel free and post it! All suggestions welcome. Take care for now Desty, and thanks again!

xxxx

Guest Samfire
Hiya,

sooooooooooooo glad I've found this forum with folks who are heading for Canberra,was starting to think everyone was heading for the coast! There's me, DH, and our three children (11,9 and 5) and we're hoping to move to Canberra in the next few months. Waiting to hear back on SS at the mo. Great to see such a friendly, encouraging forum - good luck everyone

Welcome Mikka! This really is a great thread! Hope you find useful info on here, as I'm sure you will!!

Guest brizziebound

HI everyone,

just to say we got our visa granted last week, took about 3 weeks from ACT state sponsorship, due to the fact everything had been frontloaded as we had changed from family sponsorship to state sponsorship, we have booked our validation trip for late Jan-early feb with singapore airlines,

So for all those who have been granted S.S. hopefully it won't be too long till you get your visas.

So for any new canberran's who will be around in February it would be great to meet up and find out how you are settling in and get a bit of info from you.

We are Martin 45- bricklayer, Nicki 45- Healthcare worker, Katie 22 trainee vet nurse, sadly youngest daughter wants to stay in uk but hopefully will change her mind.

Martin.

Guest 101126

Hi Martin

Congratulations on the visa, well done. Were you lucky enough to have your children included in your visa as at 22 I know that they tend to not include them, albeit that we got our 22, 20 and 17 year old girls included on mine; which everyone said was not possible.

We will hopefully be there when you arrive as we plan to either emigrate at the end of October or in January, but favourite is October, maybe we will see you there.

Well done,

Peter

btw, my eldest daughter is Squem, who started the thread and squem is 22 also.

Guest brizziebound

Hi Peter,

Yes Katie was included on visa seeing as she is at Uni and still dependant on us,

Good luck with the move, we will catch up with you in Jan/Feb, We have booked a place to stay near parliament house so we shouldn't be too hard to find.

Let us know how you get on,with the run up to moving any tips/ advice will be helpful

Well done to squem for starting the thread,

Martin

• 3 weeks later...
Guest wossall

Hi Everyone

Just a quick note to let you all know we received our visa this morning. Going out to celebrate at lunchtime.

Good luck to everyone waiting on there's

Lynne

Guest wossall

Hi Rob & Catherine

Congratulations on yours, it is taking a while to settle in going out to celebrate tonight with some friends.

Will keep in touch and let you how everything is going.

Good luck with yours and keep us informed of how you are doing and how you are getting on.

Speak with you soon.

Lynne

Guest boothy
Hi Everyone

Just a quick note to let you all know we received our visa this morning. Going out to celebrate at lunchtime.

Good luck to everyone waiting on there's

Lynne

Congratulations Lynne :jiggy:

Guest Samfire
Congratulations Wossal, we got there in the end eh!!! Got ours too.Great feeling isnt it ....until you start mentally running through it all!! Oh well, just enjoy the high for the moment I think!!! x

Brilliant stuff - delighted for you!!!! Have you thought about when you'll head out there? It's a lot to get your head around - just enjoy the high for now!! Best of luck!

Guest 101126

Well it's done, our flights are booked, we head out on 28th October wih Singapore Airlines from Heathrow, arriving Sydney on 30th at 07:35. Overall a long flight but with quite a big layover in Singapore to stretch legs, use the lounges, pool etc and if possible a detour around Singapore, but not sure how we will be able to spend the time (14hrs or so). If any of you have any clues on what to do at Singapore for 14hours we would of course greatly appreciate it.

Unfortunately the whole family will not be coming out straight away, as our eldest daughter (Squem) is not sure whether it is going to be October, November or January, but we know she is coming before validation date so are happy with that. Also our second daughter is coming with us in October, staying for a month, flying back to UK in late November, spending christmas in UK before flying back next year with her boyfriend when he sorts his young persons working holiday visa. Still our youngest is coming in October to stay :-).

Just got to sort everything else out now :-).

Good luck to everyone else with their plans.

Peter

Well it's done, our flights are booked, we head out on 28th October wih Singapore Airlines from Heathrow, arriving Sydney on 30th at 07:35. Overall a long flight but with quite a big layover in Singapore to stretch legs, use the lounges, pool etc and if possible a detour around Singapore, but not sure how we will be able to spend the time (14hrs or so). If any of you have any clues on what to do at Singapore for 14hours we would of course greatly appreciate it.

Unfortunately the whole family will not be coming out straight away, as our eldest daughter (Squem) is not sure whether it is going to be October, November or January, but we know she is coming before validation date so are happy with that. Also our second daughter is coming with us in October, staying for a month, flying back to UK in late November, spending christmas in UK before flying back next year with her boyfriend when he sorts his young persons working holiday visa. Still our youngest is coming in October to stay :-).

Peter

ARGHHHHHH we are actually going!!! argh argh argh!

Like my dad said i'm staying here a bit longer to save some money so i can go to Uni!! Not looking forward to being here alone but i know it's not for good and plus i will still have the excitement of moving to look forward to!

Now i've just gotta find somewhere to live ha ha! YAY! Damn parents kicking me out! love ya really dad! :)

Guest Samfire

Peter

Hi Peter - that's great news!

Have you given any thought how you will travel from Sydney airport to Canberra?? Friends of ours (PIO members) moved over to ACT in July and they took the train down to Canberra! They said it was a nightmare - 4.5hrs in total after such a long flight. We checked it out and the train fares appear to be almost as expensive as the connecting flights from Sydney to Canberra (asuming we researched correctly, that is!!). I think it'll work out at roughly $400-$500 for four of us to travel by plane. I think it's worth it, as the flight is only around 40mins and they seem to run every half hour or so!!

Also, are you sure you will be permitted to leave the airport in Singapore? If you've booked direct (multistop) to Australia (rather than separate bookings i.e. one booking for your flight to Singapore and a separate booking for from there to Australia), you may be required to stay within the terminal building - for 14 hours!!!!! I hope I'm wrong, but you should look into it further - maybe post a separate thread on here (and pray that I'm just a raving idiot, and someone laughs me out of it for suggesting such stupidity!!!:laugh:). Either way, hope it all runs smoothly for you and yours!!!!

Best of luck

:hug:

Have you given any thought how you will travel from Sydney airport to Canberra?? Friends of ours (PIO members) moved over to ACT in July and they took the train down to Canberra! They said it was a nightmare - 4.5hrs in total after such a long flight. We checked it out and the train fares appear to be almost as expensive as the connecting flights from Sydney to Canberra (asuming we researched correctly, that is!!). I think it'll work out at roughly $400-$500 for four of us to travel by plane. I think it's worth it, as the flight is only around 40mins and they seem to run every half hour or so!!

Also, are you sure you will be permitted to leave the airport in Singapore? If you've booked direct (multistop) to Australia (rather than separate bookings i.e. one booking for your flight to Singapore and a separate booking for from there to Australia), you may be required to stay within the terminal building - for 14 hours!!!!! I hope I'm wrong, but you should look into it further - maybe post a separate thread on here (and pray that I'm just a raving idiot, and someone laughs me out of it for suggesting such stupidity!!!:laugh:). Either way, hope it all runs smoothly for you and yours!!!!

Best of luck

Hi Samfie

Regarding transfer to Canberra, I have looked at a number of options. I looked at the train and quickly eliminated that due to the 4hr+ journey and the infrequent departures, price wise it was not to bad at about $80's each but did not fancy the four hour plus journey nor waiting for the next departure. I also considered flights as these are fairly frequent and reasonably affordable, but as we intend to take as much luggage as we can with Singapore which for migrants (who have valid visa and have not used it before) is 40Kg each + 7kgs hand luggage, I felt that the excess baggage charge would make that a less affordable solution, so I have decided that I am renting a big car from Hertz for 10days which is costing $895 which is still a lot of money but gives us the flexibility of travelling around Canberra for the first 10-days or so which will help identifying the area that we want to rent in.

Regarding Singapore Airlines and my extra long stopover in Singapore, i have confirmed with Singapore Airlines that we are free to leave the terminal and make use of facilities in other terminals and are free to visit more widely. Thankfully none of us will be like Tom Hanks in 'the terminal', I have confirmed with the airline that we can check our luggage all the way through to Sydney when checking in at Heathrow, when we arrive at Singapore we can go to the immigration desk and get a social visit pass (we surrender our passport) and then we are free to move freely between terminals and even attend a free tour of singapore, spend £6 or so on swimming, jacuzzi sauna etc. The facilities look to be excellent and there are napping rooms as well that you can book into (for a small fee). Anyone wanting to look at facilities in the airport can do so at Experience Changi One last thing I would like to do is to visit a colleague in Singapore so I might try to do that to. So all in all I am not to concerned about the layover, but it might be a different story once I have done it.

Best of luck

Hi All

Our flights are booked for 10th September to arrive in Canberra 12th September.

I checked flights and found a good price with British Airways from Heathrow via Singapore to Melbourne then onto Canberra. We're not stopping for long on route as decided we wanted to have a few days in Canberra to get our bearings before Steve starts work on 16th. Also we're not going for the extra luggage as decided it would be more hassle with lifts etc to Heathrow & from Canberra. Other than the basics anything else we can get when in Canberra.

Hope you all have good trips over.

Jacqui

Hi All

Our flights are booked for 10th September to arrive in Canberra 12th September.

I checked flights and found a good price with British Airways from Heathrow via Singapore to Melbourne then onto Canberra. We're not stopping for long on route as decided we wanted to have a few days in Canberra to get our bearings before Steve starts work on 16th. Also we're not going for the extra luggage as decided it would be more hassle with lifts etc to Heathrow & from Canberra. Other than the basics anything else we can get when in Canberra.

Hope you all have good trips over.

Jacqui

Hi Jacqui,

Good luck to yourself and Steve, I hope you settle in well and Steve enjoys work on the 16th.

Peter

Archived