IELTS test resources

mr luvpants

Hi

Once again the bloody goal posts have been moved!

QNC now requires that all nurses need an IELTS test result of 7 in all 4 sections. My wife is really worried as this is something that we did not factor in. Can anyone point us in the right direction as to where to get help on the internet please?

Also how hard is it to get a 7 in all sections?

JOHN

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest rubydoo

I took the test at a test centre in Madrid last year as we live in Spain. It was not a very easy exam to be honest considering that I am english!! It took about 31/2 - 4 hours. The hardest part for me was the reading, as you have to read into the passage about what the answers are and can sometimes read into it too much!!

The listening, you really have to concentrate and the 10 minute interview (where they tape you!) is ok they just asked me about the importance of photographs in the world and you have to waffle on a bit. The writing was ok. I got over 8 for all but the reading which I got 6 with an overall average of 8 ! Luckily it was enough for us!! But do some revision as everyone else who attended my one seemed to be doing before hand.

Good luck, we received our 176 in April and go on the 18th Sept!!

Ian & Joanna

Hiya John,

Pretty sure your wife will have no probs as its alot easier than all those nursing essays!!

I'm also a nurse and passed the ielts last year, i found the listening part the hardest as unfortunately i lost my concentration half way through- doh!! the easiest part was the verbal as its just a case of chatting about your opinions. It really is worth her revising the format so she knows what to expect. I didn't bother with the offical info pack but got books with cds from my local library (cost 60p each to loan if they needed to order them in) the most useful ones were:

Step upto ielts

Insight into ielts extra

Grammer for ielts

Also if web addresses still working ? I used:

ielts-blog/com

ieltswrite.com

writefix.com

ielts-exam.net

Hope this helps, but pm me if any questions

cheers x jo

Hi, iv been looking into the test going to sit mine it in Oct. Just google IELT test and the website should appear. Looks like we only have to sit the general training test and NOT the academic one, thank god!!! it looks a lot easier. they seem to be held pretty often and all over the county, not sure where your from, i will go to Aston Uni for mine.

Good luck, Lisa

Guest Magnetic6

Hi John

I've got mine tomorrow so i'll pm you all the gorey details!!

I got the practise material direct from the IELTS centre where i'm sitting the test, it was £10.

I think it's quite useful particularly as it makes you aware of the format of the test, if i pass it i'm more than happy to post you the info.

Natalie x

Guest the owens

hi visa granted yesterday yipee, I had to do ielts to get extra points (because I am getting old) it cost about £100 and is fairly easy tell her not to worry, but it does take up most of a day

Hi John,

I sat mine in May. To be honest, it wasn't too bad but key thing is to practice imo so you know what to expect. I got a couple of books from Waterstones, one with 2 cd's for listening part of test.

There's tons of good advice elsewhere on PIO on how to pass / what to expect. If English is your native language and you can qualify as a nurse, you will be intelligent enough to pass. Good luck to your wife

PS - my wife's a nurse and she's going to sit it later in the year so know how you feel!

Guest neilalys

hi, all does any one know wheather a nurse has to do general or acedemic ielts to go for a 457 visa,need to book on monday and dont know which one heading for brissy

Hi

Once again the bloody goal posts have been moved!

QNC now requires that all nurses need an IELTS test result of 7 in all 4 sections. My wife is really worried as this is something that we did not factor in. Can anyone point us in the right direction as to where to get help on the internet please?

Also how hard is it to get a 7 in all sections?

JOHN

Hi John,

I can email you some practice tests if you want to pm me with your email address. I did it in May as well, and did quite a bit of practice, and got a book out the library too. I felt more confident going, knowing that I knew the whole structure of the exam, and wasnt too nervous. It wasnt easy, but I did pass with an overall 9. I'm sure if your OH revises, she'll be fine.

Regards

Shaz

Hi can i confirm which test were sitting???? i was advised that it was the general one (im also a nurse) it states on the Aston uni website that does these tests and i quote::

1. Academic Training - for institutions of Higher and Further Education

The Academic format is for those who want to study or train in an English-speaking university or institutions of Higher and Further Education. Admission to undergraduate and postgraduate courses is based on the results of the Academic test.

2. General training – for school, work or migration

The General Training format focuses on basic survival skills in a broad social and educational context. It is for those who are going to English-speaking countries to do secondary education, work experience or training programs. People migrating to Australia, Canada and New Zealand must sit the General Training test.

Can anybody confirm for deff which test it is??

Lisa

Guest bebac30

Yes, for migration you need to take General IELTS. If you are holder of British passports you have "vocational English" but if you need extra points - 25 you have to take exam and pass with 7 on each modul. For some occupations SS demanding IELTS more then 7, so even though you have British passport you will have to take IELTS to prove it to state :(

Guest Magnetic6

June Pixie

I sat mine today as well! I found it quite tricky in parts and you really have to concentrate, particularly in the listening test towards the end as your mind starts drifting!

Hats off to your husband as I am English and i wouldn't say it was easy,

Natalie x

Guest Magnetic6
Hi can i confirm which test were sitting???? i was advised that it was the general one (im also a nurse) it states on the Aston uni website that does these tests and i quote::

1. Academic Training - for institutions of Higher and Further Education

The Academic format is for those who want to study or train in an English-speaking university or institutions of Higher and Further Education. Admission to undergraduate and postgraduate courses is based on the results of the Academic test.

2. General training – for school, work or migration

The General Training format focuses on basic survival skills in a broad social and educational context. It is for those who are going to English-speaking countries to do secondary education, work experience or training programs. People migrating to Australia, Canada and New Zealand must sit the General Training test.

Can anybody confirm for deff which test it is??

Lisa

Hi Lisa

If you go on the ANMC website, their latest report states from the 1st July 2009, the academic test is necessary for assessment purposes. People who need to take it to gain extra points for migration usually take the general test, but it depends on your occupation. Hope this helps, i think there's been lots of confusion regarding the changes for nurses. If you find out anything different please let me know and good luck,

Natalie x

Guest Magnetic6

Hi John,

OK here goes,this was the fromat for the general test....

Listening- 30 minute tape of conversations, had to fill in blanks in a booklet as i was listening and had 10 mins at the end to transfer to an answer page.

Reading-60 minutes. There were several articles i had to read and then answer questions on them, the answers were in the text. The articles were on various subjects ranging from health and safety at work, to clothes designers who use man-made fabrics, so basically very random topics.

Writing-60 minutes. Two sections. The first was a scenario where you had ordered 2 things over the internet and there was a problem with what you received. You then had to write a letter to the manager of the company, basically complaining and asking them what they were going to do about it, we were advised to spend about 20 mins on this part of the task.

The second part carries more points. For this i had to write approx 250 words about the benefits and drawbacks of the government raising the tax on petrol to combat pollution and congestion.

I found it really hard to do both tasks in the alloted time, but that's just me!! I've always found it difficult to finish an exam in the time given.

Speaking-approx 10 mins. For the first few minutes it was just a chat about where i was from, occupation etc. You're then given a topic that you have to talk about for 1-2 mins. You have a minute to prepare and take notes if you wish. Mine was to discuss a piece of music that has significance from my childhood. After i'd done that i was asked questions about musical tastes and do they change as you get older etc.

I sat the general test as i had it booked since March for visa purposes, when i tried to change it to the academic there were no places left!! Hopefully if i pass i'll put the visa application in and sit the academic test prior to moving next year, nothings ever straightforwrd is it!!!

Hope this helps,

Natalie x

Guest looby1pink

Hi. Im booked in for the Academic Test for nurse registration in August. The ielts website have several examples that i have been looking at and our local library has ordered some books in too. This is a great thread as im sure there will be many more people heading down this route now they have changed the goal posts. Surely if we are able to qualify as nurses we should be able to pass an exam based on our language?? I will come back after my exam with further info to try and help anyone...Keeping positive..lets get revising guys!!!

Lou x

I have been looking at the IELTS test website. It seems that you can not fail the test but you are awarded a mark between 1 and 10. As nurses you have to sit the Academic test (which is harder?) and have to score at least 7 in each section and in one sitting.

We are not sure what to do now. It seems that goal posts are constantly changing.I have read on here and other sites hoe people with degrees have failed the test on many occasions. Our lives are on hold awaiting for our visa and this seems yet another stumbling block that needs to be overcome.

JOHN

Hi

When I sat it, about 200 people in the room were sitting the academic one, and were all foreign students looking to study in the UK at uni. There were about 20 of us sitting the general one, and mostly for visa purposes. I spoke to some of the guys sitting the academic one, and really, their english was very basic. When I went into the room for the speaking part, the examiner said that to bear with him, as the questions would be very easy for me being a native speaker.

The listening and speaking parts are the same for both tests and you all sit in the same room and its the same tape you listen to for the listening part. The reading and writing parts for the academic would be different to the general, but I think if you study up on your grammar and spelling you'll be fine. I think the academic one focuses on different types of scenarios for the letter writing.

Shaz

Hi John

I've got mine tomorrow so i'll pm you all the gorey details!!

I got the practise material direct from the IELTS centre where i'm sitting the test, it was £10.

I think it's quite useful particularly as it makes you aware of the format of the test, if i pass it i'm more than happy to post you the info.

Natalie x

Yes please!

IELTS - Not a nice experience to be honest.

I sat mine in Middlesex at first to get it out of the way... like a comment above i lost my concentration on the listening, (trust me - easliy done) and ended failing (6.5)..... the others i passed with 7 reading / 7 writing / 9 speaking..... i was gutted as an Architectural Technician was certain i`d be able to undertake an English test given it my mother tongue. born and bred in the UK for 32 yrs..

Anyway.,., try this badboy!!!!

IELTS Exam Preparation - IELTS Practice Tests

clicking onto the test will reveal the 4 elements - worth printing out and testing yourself. (they even show you the answers which alot dont do on here.) The q`s are very similar also!!!!

i practiced them over and over, esp the listening & reading - then timed them! got better and better!

Liverpool next - ended up with 8.5 - 9 throughout... worth the revision time just to end it once and for all!!!!

Good luck!!!!

Yeah - i tried with that one - but not sure if the answers are given?

My link above was the best i found giving 12 test papers... Academic / GT are simliar and the exams question are VERY much the same on these practice papers to the one given. IELTS Exam Preparation - IELTS Practice Tests

I did a few writing also - just to practice my hand writing speed, and to get a feel for the 150 words & 250 word required on tasks 1&2.,.,

Try the listening - you`d be suprised how many you get wrong - initially - but then you get use to the way they operate in `catching you out`. I.e Maps - once you loose your marker - can be very hard to catch back up and sort it out - and that about 5 marks down the swanny potentially!

Print and Practice!

Good luck!!!

Has anybody used www.scottsenglish.com for preperation for the test???

Archived