IELTS test resources

mr luvpants

Danny&Em,

Just read your post about the map on the listening part and its exactly what happened to me with a stupid map directions! I actually re-booked another test before the results had even come through, thankfully I did pass but hubby was not impressed that I'd wasted £100.

Fingers crossed for you x Jo

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest looby1pink

Oh my goodness!!!!....I have been revising for the academic test, which I have in 6 weeks and I know im going to struggle getting a 7, im finding it so difficult..

Can anyone help? For the reading section you have 60 minutes to answer all the questions, is the 60 minutes including your reading time aswell?? and do you read all three passages first, then answer the question at the end? or answer each passage individually?

I cant believe they have introduced this test..im so gutted. I was so close to getting over there as a nurse, im sure this will delay things for me now. I got a C in GCSE English but that was 14 years ago...PLEASE HELP :cry:

Guest Magnetic6

Lou,

Try not to panic.....you'll be fine!!!

It's the same layout as the general test so the 60 mins is the time given to both read and answer the questions. Read one section, answer it, then go onto the next one.

Lou you've done your nursing exams and english is your first language so what an advantage that is!

You're just having a bit of a wobble and this isn't going to stop you getting to Australia because if you did fail it, you'd just sit it again.

Just get used to the format and you'll be right:hug:

Natalie x

Guest Magnetic6
Revenue gathering.

Hi Westly

Is that the polite way of saying it's a great big money making scam?

Because that's what i certainly think:biglaugh:

Natalie x

Hi - I agree with Magnetic!!!

Just read them over and over - take your time at first and just get through them, then as you do more and more, you get used to the format etc - scanning the info. Eventually speeding up. But you do get a fair amount of time once practiced.

MY preference was to read the paragrah [say A-] then see which question it applied to. Then id shade out A and the qustion it realted to [say Qn6]. Then id move on to Paragraph B,C,D etc, until they where all shaded out (some are repeated so dont black them out totally)- saves you reading them over and over again.

If unsure put a ? next to it and revisit later - better to move on than keep trying to secure the answer - usually when you revist it jumps back out at you.

I was papping it with this subject - but practiced with the link given above. The Qn where very similar also. (ended up with a 8.5) (first was a 7 - i failed the listening!)

Make sure you print them off and try that way. And dont give up until you think you know the answer. That way you`ll tune yourself up!

And try not to skip a practice sheet because you dont like the subject. I made a rule not to in case i got something like `barbie doll history` on my actual test. (In fact i got one about ants, its workers, and how they worked - turned out to be interesting to be honest.)

You get about 3/4 of these in an hour - so its not too bad.

Hope you do well - but practice and relax with concentration.

It WILL be worth it in the end!

Hi, I am a nurse and passed the ILETS last year. It is the general one that you need. Even though I am a native engish speaker I did not assume the test would be easy as some of the people sitting the test obviously did by their dumb founded expressions. You wife will need to prepare to familiarize herself with the format of the test. It is not hard but I would say it is fiddley. I got a 9 in all parts and I would say that was down to preparation. As already noted, the listening one is tricky because even though it is straight forward it moves quite fast and it is easy to lose concentration and miss something. I would suggest your wife practises the letter writing before hand just so she will have some ideas on the day to save time. The officail practise books and cd available from the IELTS website are really good. Good luck, Im sure she will be fine.xx

My wife's test is booked for the 12th September. She did the (practice) listening test last night and got 36 out of 40. I knew she would not have a problem with that one (or the speaking!!!) but it is going to be the reading and understanding sections that I think she may struggle with. Its a bloody shame as we struggled to get in to the ANMC before the 1st July deadline and now we need not have bothered! We are going to give it 3 goes and then reassess.

Does everyone pass eventually?

JOHN

Guest Denver

Hi John, I did the IELTS in April and got 6L, 6.5R,4.5W and 9S. I thought it would be easier than it was. I didnt finish the writing in the time given. I studied like mad and practised against the clock as the test was not difficult but I was writing too slow. I copied out articles to speed my writing up, started at 27 mins for 250 words and got it down to 17 min.I re-sat at the end of May and got 7.5L,7.5R,6.5W and 9S I could not believe it half a point out. I sent it off to be re-marked and hope they increase it to 7. But dont worry English was my worst subject in school and havent done any writing since I left school,thats what the wifes for. Good luck Im sure you will do fine.

Bloody great!!!! I was all happy because we had our visa granted yesterday and now I find out I have to sit another test just to register to work. My friend has just recently registered with NSW nursing board with only the general IELTS but she must have just got in there in time.

Hi John, I did the IELTS in April and got 6L, 6.5R,4.5W and 9S. I thought it would be easier than it was. I didnt finish the writing in the time given. I studied like mad and practised against the clock as the test was not difficult but I was writing too slow. I copied out articles to speed my writing up, started at 27 mins for 250 words and got it down to 17 min.I re-sat at the end of May and got 7.5L,7.5R,6.5W and 9S I could not believe it half a point out. I sent it off to be re-marked and hope they increase it to 7. But dont worry English was my worst subject in school and havent done any writing since I left school,thats what the wifes for. Good luck Im sure you will do fine.

So are you going to sit it again?

JOHN

Bloody great!!!! I was all happy because we had our visa granted yesterday and now I find out I have to sit another test just to register to work. My friend has just recently registered with NSW nursing board with only the general IELTS but she must have just got in there in time.

This is going to catch a few people out. My daughters friends mum is in th same position. We managed to get into the ANMC before the deadline but now will still need to sit the test.

I feel your pain.

JOHN

My wife's test is booked for the 12th September. She did the (practice) listening test last night and got 36 out of 40. I knew she would not have a problem with that one (or the speaking!!!) but it is going to be the reading and understanding sections that I think she may struggle with. Its a bloody shame as we struggled to get in to the ANMC before the 1st July deadline and now we need not have bothered! We are going to give it 3 goes and then reassess.

Does everyone pass eventually?

JOHN

Hi John, where are you getting your practice papers or listening tests from?

Guest Magnetic6

Hi all

Just got in from work to my IELTS results.....L 8.5, R 9, W 9, S 9, overall score 9!!!!! My hands were shaking as i opened the letter!

This means once i get my ANMC stuff through we can put visa application in,happy days!

Good luck to everyone,

Natalie x

Hi all

Just got in from work to my IELTS results.....L 8.5, R 9, W 9, S 9, overall score 9!!!!! My hands were shaking as i opened the letter!

This means once i get my ANMC stuff through we can put visa application in,happy days!

Good luck to everyone,

Natalie x

Well done. I was wondering how you got on. Did you think that you had passed?

JOHN

OH just passed the Academic IELTS (avg 8.5) - afterwards he really wasn't sure if he had passed...

Might have been a different story if not for the practising - I think being used to the format and having an idea what to expect helped.

Good luck to Lisa I'm sure she will be fine.

Guest Magnetic6

Cheers John!

No i wasn't confident as i didn't finish the writing part.

Congrats T&R,

Natalie x

Guest andye

Hi, thanks to all who have posted in this thread - it is reassuring to read everyones comments. Having read the thread though, I was wondering, for those who passed with the required 7 and above, how much preparation (time) did you put in before the test?

I am looking to book the test as soon as I can but don't want to have to retake it simply becuase I wasn't prepared.

Hi Andye,

My OH did several of the internet listening tests - I tried them too and the time was a bit short. That was actually his worst score.

He also did a couple of practice essays the day before the test - but he is used to report writing anyway. I think the emphasis was to be able to describe and discuss and contrast what you read type of thing.

I think he did a few for each type of test - I think it is more knowing the format and time you have that was important.

I don't think he practied at all for the speaking - was worried about that one afterwards - but got a 9.

Good luck

Guest Magnetic6

Hi Andye

I totally agree with T&R, i think being familiar with the format is the key.

I used the official IELTS practice material (book that comes with a CD).I just worked through that over 2 evenings, i think it was £10 well spent.

The only advice i'd give is to maintain your concentration on the listening test, especially towards the end as your mind starts to drift a bit and also to be aware of the time when you're doing the writing part.Overall it's not bad and the examiner told me the speaking part is almost a formality with a native English speaker.

You'll be fine,

Natalie x

Archived