Leaving six weeks today

20yrspommie

We have finally sold our house and are leaving sydney after 20 years to go back to the UK , main reason being to spend time with the family , have found a school for son and got quotes for shippers and golden retreiver,

anyone had any experience with Grace removals or Movements International both who have quoted me for a 40foot container as we going to take car as well

also have a good quote from Dogtainers

Feels exciting and scary now that its finally happening so I will make sure I come back and tell you how its going , I havent posted much at all but I have read and learnt a lot from reading everyones stories. I am sure we will have our ups and downs but I know that this is what we want so feel really keen to make this work

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well done on selling your house! Great news too that you have found a school that you like as well.

I hope everything goes brilliantly for you - and hope the lovely summer weather is still there when you arrive!

Guest marriedtoanaussie

Good luck with the move. We are flying home on Monday, arrive Heathrow Tuesday evening and get to hold my new neice whilst sharing a glass on wine with my sisters, brother and Mum and Dad. watching my children play with their cousins.

A Perfect summers evening.

Mind you we are returning after only 5 months, credit to you returning after 20 yrs-wow!

Guest LondonGal

Wow, 20 years!

Good luck on your return home, hope it is everything you want it to be. Please come back on and let us know how it went.

Guest gary12

Unless it's a classic, don't take the car, they are so cheap in the UK at the moment.

Best of luck to you.

Michelle

Guest jackie Macdonald

Best of luck to you all, you are very brave. I somehow don't think you'll look back though! Have a wonderful new life and get out there and enjoy all the beautiful culture and greenery around you.

Marriedtoanaussie, All the best to you too, safe trip!

Jackie x

Guest armor

we are off in 7 weeks after 6 months cant wait,nothing like I expected

cars are so reasonable at home

we are haveing a 20ft container prices have varied A$2 500 difference

Guest mikeskinner1272

Coming home to a recession.....im leaving the UK in 6 months for OZ......Its not like the England from 20 years ago....I bet you wont stay more than 18 months....but good luck anyway.

Mike

We have finally sold our house and are leaving sydney after 20 years to go back to the UK , main reason being to spend time with the family , have found a school for son and got quotes for shippers and golden retreiver,

anyone had any experience with Grace removals or Movements International both who have quoted me for a 40foot container as we going to take car as well

also have a good quote from Dogtainers

Feels exciting and scary now that its finally happening so I will make sure I come back and tell you how its going , I havent posted much at all but I have read and learnt a lot from reading everyones stories. I am sure we will have our ups and downs but I know that this is what we want so feel really keen to make this work

Just be prepared for traffic ......traffic .....traffic ,24 million cars on the road ,and god knows how many trucks.

A low oppressive skyline ,very few barbies,bad news on the tele every night,dodgy mps, a country in recession,people who dont care,pokey little houses,too much violence and litter.

But if you can put up with all that,youve got .......Paris,rome,Barcelona on your door step ( youve got to do europe ), our own fantastic scenery outside of the chaos, great tele,beer@ £2.25 a pint ........yes £2.25 in my local for a pint of worthingtons bitter, even less in the social club,great tele,great shops.........and basically being in the hub of the wheel,the uk has major problems,but its still where the action is.......

Guest barab

Good luck,

I sincerely wish you all the best in your move.

Obviously you will find things different to begin with,but I reckon it will be the best decision you will ever make,Britain has it all plus more!!

You will feel like you've started living again....In my opinion!!

All the best,

Barab

Guest inlimbo

Good luck with your move back, the old place looks good and the weather has been brill since I have been back...nice to have a decent pint and a decent curry...:smile:

Guest The "legdes"

Cars ...Yeh - most of us would sell you a car cheaply because we're heading the other way. I'm getting my Dad to sell ours once we've left. Look for full service histories too and watch for indications that it may have been used as a taxi. Other than that good luck - hope you land a good one. They are very cheap at the mo.

Guest marriedtoanaussie

we too are going home. you talk about the recession in the UK and traffic but its all relative. I live in hertfordshire and I am currently in Brisbane-traffic is terrible here, I detest all the traffic lights and big roads. The infrastructure here is poor and the Govt are currently wrecking suburbs in order to put tunnels everywhere. Has anyone been on the Gateway or Pacific highway at peak times?

Give me country roads and roundabouts anyday.

Recession yes (we left UK Feb 09-mid winter,mid recession), but we had far more work opportunities in UK than here-no one seems to be hiring-even my Aussie husband! And the UK is so much cheaper at the moment re. mortgages, electrical goods,cars.

As for population growth...one of the reasons I wanted to try life out here was for more space, less people etc....but the growth over the last 10 yrs is incredible! Going to parks that are so busy kids are queing to get on swings etc...having to book for bowling (like in the UK)

Yes Australia is large but there are only so many large towns where people can live-the rest is unlivable desert!

sorry to go on but I am pleased for you going back after 20 yrs and the negative posts (mainly from people who are starting out their journey)get to me!

Guest John Locke

Feels exciting and scary now that its finally happening

I know how you feel, our house finally goes on the market next week. Well done in selling your own. I`ve been following your posts and it`s good to see things are all falling in place for you...

And to those who feel it necessary to post negatives about a decision I`m sure was not made lightly...

It’s easy to imagine from some of these anti U.K posts that it has become a population of rag wearing disillusioned ghouls locked inside their homes for fear of every hooded youth on a street corner. When I was over there at the end of last year I did not detect an air of dread or impending doom, I was not robbed and beaten on every street corner and every second person did not moan about the state of the country and `all these immigrants`. I spent a fair amount of my time there traveling between Essex, Kent, Hertfordshire and London on trains and the London underground without incident and in fact found, to my surprise, that little had changed at all. Obviously there were places to avoid, but that can be said of any country. People I met were genuinely friendly, the shops were buzzing with the onset of Christmas and were filled with families, as were the parks and other areas of interest. What I did experience was a sense of community in many places and just a general attitude of getting on with life…My family and friends live in the U.K, none of them (fortunately) have been affected by the recession and none of them have been victims of crime in the seven years I have been here, their children are doing well in state schools (in fact I was surprised at the level of discipline) and they do not live each day in fear. Basically, people were just getting on with their lives as they do here. If you long to get out of a country all you will see are negatives, as I do living here…

Hi all

Thanks for good wishes , its appreciated

I am use to all the negative stuff now have had it all year and I try not to to worry too much after all its our life and what we want and yes it hasn't been an easy decision but it feels like its the right thing for our family and as long as I say its because of family they usually shut up. There is alot more to life than rain, traffic, etc and anyway have experienced all that here too and the recession as well. We know if we dont go now and give it a go we never will and dont want to live with that regret so its all systems go. I am really looking forward to living in England again (warts and all) and I dont care if I never see another sausage on the barbie again. 2o years is a long time so of course there is plenty of things we will miss but I am determinded to help make this move a positive thing

You're lucky on that beer price, bunbury! Down in the southeast (I was in Bedfordshire) beer was £2.50-2.60 a pint (depending which I had) as far back as two years ago when I left. My son who's still there is complaining that the £3.00 pint is frighteningly close!

Mind you, in London I paid over £3 a pint many times several years ago!

That makes semi-rural Queensland seem cheap.

Bob

Guest inlimbo
You're lucky on that beer price, bunbury! Down in the southeast (I was in Bedfordshire) beer was £2.50-2.60 a pint (depending which I had) as far back as two years ago when I left. My son who's still there is complaining that the £3.00 pint is frighteningly close!

Mind you, in London I paid over £3 a pint many times several years ago!

That makes semi-rural Queensland seem cheap.

Bob

Pubs are feeling the recession also ad in Kent I pay no more than £1.80 to £2.50 for a pint of London Pride...:spinny: In Perth I was paying anything between £3 and £5 for a schooner

Guest ElizaBee

Just wanted to say the very best of luck in your move home :hug:

We wont be far behind you hopefully - we'll be selling up soon too and going home to the UK after 12 years here.

Honestly cant wait.

How great that you've managed to sort out schools etc.

Please let us all know how you go. Am sure with your attitude that you will have a ball.

You will have positive and negative experiences just like here in Oz, but i hope you enjoy every minute of it!

Bob, for the record .In my local in Solihull ,last night £ 2.25 pint of worthingtons ,£ 1.99 carling, £ 1.76 ipa . In the bournville social ( next to cadburys ) the night before ,under £2.00 a pint.

Do you want me to photograph the beer taps with the prices on? - LOL

Coming home to a recession.....im leaving the UK in 6 months for OZ......Its not like the England from 20 years ago....I bet you wont stay more than 18 months....but good luck anyway.

Mike

You'r a cheeful chap arn't you Mike.

Good luck on your return 20 it will be hard

But on the Bright for us is we get you back while Australia and Mr Rudd get

Mr Skinner the misserble sod.

JohnX

• 8 months later...
Guest sophi
Good luck with the move. We are flying home on Monday, arrive Heathrow Tuesday evening and get to hold my new neice whilst sharing a glass on wine with my sisters, brother and Mum and Dad. watching my children play with their cousins.

A Perfect summers evening.

Mind you we are returning after only 5 months, credit to you returning after 20 yrs-wow!

Good luck to you all going back, may it of lasted 20 years or 5 months, i envy you's. we would love to go back asap but due to rental lease, money ect.. it will probally be the end of the year for us. :cry:

Hi

saw this post and thought would finally post an update after being back in the Uk six months now.

It has been pretty tough so far and I dont want to put anyone off as I am only talking of my own experience but with hindsight I dont think we would have done it. I do love seeing family regularly but we all really miss our old life in Sydney alot. Maybe 20yrs away is too long my son (12) has struggled to make friends at school and although we have bought a house in a very nice village we are finding it hard to meet anyone. But the main problem really is jobs I knew it would be hard but not as bad as it is. My Oh was made redundant in Sydney before we came back , he is really struggling here with job hunting mainly I guess because he doesnt have any history or network here. I have had one interview and I didnt get the job so of course we are spending plenty of money in the meantime and it all feels a bit depressing. It has been a tough winter as well but mostly I dont mind the weather and have still been out walking alot as we have a dog and once you have wrapped up its fine .

Ah well not sure what else to say except who would be an expat and wish all this disruption on themselves !! not easy I guess its all experience but sometimes I would love the fairly godmother to come and magic it all away

Guest funkymonkey
Hi

saw this post and thought would finally post an update after being back in the Uk six months now.

It has been pretty tough so far and I dont want to put anyone off as I am only talking of my own experience but with hindsight I dont think we would have done it. I do love seeing family regularly but we all really miss our old life in Sydney alot. Maybe 20yrs away is too long my son (12) has struggled to make friends at school and although we have bought a house in a very nice village we are finding it hard to meet anyone. But the main problem really is jobs I knew it would be hard but not as bad as it is. My Oh was made redundant in Sydney before we came back , he is really struggling here with job hunting mainly I guess because he doesnt have any history or network here. I have had one interview and I didnt get the job so of course we are spending plenty of money in the meantime and it all feels a bit depressing. It has been a tough winter as well but mostly I dont mind the weather and have still been out walking alot as we have a dog and once you have wrapped up its fine .

Ah well not sure what else to say except who would be an expat and wish all this disruption on themselves !! not easy I guess its all experience but sometimes I would love the fairly godmother to come and magic it all away

Sorry to hear its been so hard for you. I have read your post with great interest, we are just about to put our house on the market and head back home too. My husband is Australian and he is none too happy about going back to the UK. I am pretty scared, we have a good life here, he has a good job, nice house blah blah... but I have never felt settled here after five and a half years. So we decided last year that we would return this year after I got pretty depressed.

I am so scared that my husband won't get a good job and that I won't settle back into life at home and my husband will resent me for pushing for this move. Our children are all young so they won't remember life here, I just hope we can give them as good a life in the UK as here.

Gosh, I hope i'm doing the right thing, its so confusing trying to work out what to do.

I wish you good luck with the job hunting, what was it that finally made you want to go back?

Take Care

Archived