Leaving six weeks today

20yrspommie

Guest joannaplus4
Just be prepared for traffic ......traffic .....traffic ,24 million cars on the road ,and god knows how many trucks.

A low oppressive skyline ,very few barbies,bad news on the tele every night,dodgy mps, a country in recession,people who dont care,pokey little houses,too much violence and litter.

But if you can put up with all that,youve got .......Paris,rome,Barcelona on your door step ( youve got to do europe ), our own fantastic scenery outside of the chaos, great tele,beer@ £2.25 a pint ........yes £2.25 in my local for a pint of worthingtons bitter, even less in the social club,great tele,great shops.........and basically being in the hub of the wheel,the uk has major problems,but its still where the action is.......

Lol You've obviously not lived in Sydney. TRAFFIC TRAFFIC TRAFFIC much worse than the UK, run down suburbs in certains areas where you would not even get gett off the train (Cabramatta), drive by shootings and ram raiding. I wish you the best of luck on your move back to the UK

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest beanrush

All citys/towns have bad areas, but also good ones....Sydney is a beautiful city and I wouldn't change my life for anything. Life is what you make it...

Coming home to a recession.....im leaving the UK in 6 months for OZ......Its not like the England from 20 years ago....I bet you wont stay more than 18 months....but good luck anyway.

Mike

Good luck getting work in Byron Bay. Beautiful area though, I lived there for some time.

Guest chris955

I've never understood why people say a country isn't like it was 20 years ago, apart from 3rd world countries is any country like it was 20 years ago ?

I've never understood why people say a country isn't like it was 20 years ago, apart from 3rd world countries is any country like it was 20 years ago ?

Well said.

UK has major flaws, but so does everywhere else that has the things I want to be able to live my life. (Canada, US, Oz, NZ etc.)

It also has breathtaking scenery (Scotland, Snowdonia, Cornwall, Devon, Lake district, Croydon etc.), great people with a great sense of humour, great food (I too love my curries) affordable cars, Europe on my doorstep and New York is only 5 and a bit hours away if I wanted.

I was THIS close to sending my forms away. But I have seen the light and decided that all of the above + the fact I would be giving away 20% of what I've earned over the years thanks to Sterlings performance this last 6 months has changed my mind.

Australia is a fantastic country, the UK is a fantastic country. YOUR country is alot easier to make work than a new one that you THINK will be better. If life isn't shaping up here/Aus, its going to be alot harder 12,000 miles away without a support network.

If I had bugger all here to give up, then maybe I think I would see things differently.

Nick.

Hi

saw this post and thought would finally post an update after being back in the Uk six months now.

It has been pretty tough so far and I dont want to put anyone off as I am only talking of my own experience but with hindsight I dont think we would have done it. I do love seeing family regularly but we all really miss our old life in Sydney alot. Maybe 20yrs away is too long my son (12) has struggled to make friends at school and although we have bought a house in a very nice village we are finding it hard to meet anyone. But the main problem really is jobs I knew it would be hard but not as bad as it is. My Oh was made redundant in Sydney before we came back , he is really struggling here with job hunting mainly I guess because he doesnt have any history or network here. I have had one interview and I didnt get the job so of course we are spending plenty of money in the meantime and it all feels a bit depressing. It has been a tough winter as well but mostly I dont mind the weather and have still been out walking alot as we have a dog and once you have wrapped up its fine .

Ah well not sure what else to say except who would be an expat and wish all this disruption on themselves !! not easy I guess its all experience but sometimes I would love the fairly godmother to come and magic it all away

I followed your posts and was interested to see what you would think, why because we know a few people who did this over the years and unfortunately they were not happy with their decision to return. We forget that as the years go by we form new relationships which are important to us, yes we miss family but they are getting older too and they have their own ponds with their own friends and even though they love to see us, they also want to continue with their lives. Often there is no place for us in their lives other than family dos.

I am a limbo person due to my parents wondering around the world but cannot change that and I guess its been easier for me as an adult.

Personally if I lived in the UK had children a nice house and a good job and was established I would just take holidays in the places I dreamed about. Same as if I had come over here and decided to make a go of it I would stay and do so and be optimistic. We had no children when we came so it was a lot easier for us.

I think forums are good, as I am retired I belong to quite a few and computers are my hobby. However if we are unhappy sometimes its easy to fall into a thread where others are unhappy and feed on one another. Same with the break up of marriage etc. My view is that if I am unhappy I try to do something about it. Having had a serious bout of depression there is no way I am ever going back to that place, nothing is so bad that you should let yourselves get depressed.

If you have good health a happy home life what else is there.

It was always going to be hard, big house,space and all what Aus has to offer.

I love England but have always thought how hard it would be coming back after so long

Good Luck what ever you do

Johno

Guest man2010

Thank you petals for your view.I was beginning to doubt my decision to relocate to Aussi after reading postings on this thread. I think you are right about moving on and trying to make the best of the situation.However,sometimes its difficult to judge the outcome of decisions we make in life,especially when one is vulnarable as is usually the case with depression. Although i am a new member, i think forums like this can be helpful.

Hi

Thanks for the good wishes, we came as seemed a good time to make the move various reasons OH made redundant , son about to start HS , favourable exchange rate and wanting to spend time with family whilst they were all still okay. we have done that and they have tried really hard and I do feel part of their lives now I see my mum once, twice a week and its great, same for my sister . I didnt expect it to be the same as 20yrs ago not sure if that comment was aimed at me I dont know what I expected really I knew it would be hard its not as if we were really miserable in australia, Hindsight of course is a wonderful thing and there are some things I really like about the UK like the beautiful countryside but we all feel really out of place here so I am not sure if we will stay especially as the job situation is so bad.

Coming home to a recession.....im leaving the UK in 6 months for OZ......Its not like the England from 20 years ago....I bet you wont stay more than 18 months....but good luck anyway.

Mike

Arrived back in Aussie in early feburary,went for 6 weeks to check things out,went back 2 years before that for a battalion reunion.decided to return home, putting house on market after 24 years in Queensland.We have had enough.Things haven't changed at all,infact you wouldn't think the uk was in recession.But good luck in Byron?Don't forget the happy sticks:goofy:

Guest chris955

I have always said that a recession only affects people that lose their jobs, other than that really no-one would know if their country was in a recession. None of my friends over there have lost their jobs and it seems to be business as usual.

Hi

Thanks for the good wishes, we came as seemed a good time to make the move various reasons OH made redundant , son about to start HS , favourable exchange rate and wanting to spend time with family whilst they were all still okay. we have done that and they have tried really hard and I do feel part of their lives now I see my mum once, twice a week and its great, same for my sister . I didnt expect it to be the same as 20yrs ago not sure if that comment was aimed at me I dont know what I expected really I knew it would be hard its not as if we were really miserable in australia, Hindsight of course is a wonderful thing and there are some things I really like about the UK like the beautiful countryside but we all feel really out of place here so I am not sure if we will stay especially as the job situation is so bad.

Hi 20yrs pommie...I remember reading my first post on here and it was from you...I think you were just about to set off back to the Uk and I was hoping you would have lots of magnificent post.....unfortunately u never:(

But you do what you got to do ....just like lots of folk go to Oz and want it to be paradise..it aint goint to happen....I really do feel for you cos we are going back to the UK only after 5 years ..and lots has changed...but I truelly believe for my family it is a good thing...my boys are 3 and 1.....Yorkshire is a beautiful place as is the one off the most a great place in the North.(apart from Cumbria)..ha ha I love that place.

I really hope your son funds everything he needs and if not.....Hopeyfully your felow PIO can:biggrin:

Hi 20yrs pommie...I remember reading my first post on here and it was from you...I think you were just about to set off back to the Uk and I was hoping you would have lots of magnificent post.....unfortunately u never:(

But you do what you got to do ....just like lots of folk go to Oz and want it to be paradise..it aint goint to happen....I really do feel for you cos we are going back to the UK only after 5 years ..and lots has changed...but I truelly believe for my family it is a good thing...my boys are 3 and 1.....Yorkshire is a beautiful place as is the one off the most a great place in the North.(apart from Cumbria)..ha ha I love that place.

I really hope your son funds everything he needs and if not.....Hopeyfully your felow PIO can:biggrin:

Good luck to you on your return

I definately think its much easier when your kids are younger I wish we had come back when my son was still at primary , we have a lovely school in our street and I see all the mums outside chatting with the kids but its much different at high school and my son has also skipped a year which also doesnt help as for him its all new and its his first experience of HS but for everyone else its year 8 and they are all fine. Plus when it comes round to holidays he doesnt have any friends from primary to catch up with so he is of course really missing his aussie pals . 20yrs is a long time away, starting allover takes lots of energy and presently I feel I dont have any !

Guest sunnyday

Having had a serious bout of depression there is no way I am ever going back to that place, nothing is so bad that you should let yourselves get depressed.

If you have good health a happy home life what else is there.

Nail - on - head Petals :notworthy::notworthy:

Guest sunnyday

20yrspommie, I really feel for you hun, I hope everything works out for you whatever you decide, good luck x

I have returned after 15 years in Australia and after one month back I am starting to wonder if I made the right choice to return. It is lovely over here and will be much nicer in the summer. Just been on phone to friend and talking about my plants I left behind and asking him to go to garden centre and buy this and that to look after them... I don't know.... I thought being back with mum would be good but she's got her life and its her house I'm living in and it just doesn't feel right - my brother lives around and hour and a half's drive away he is coming at Easter but isn't bringing his new girlfield who I havne't met - but then why should she come. It's not like I'm anyone really important just someone who has been living in Australia for 15 years who has returned 'home'... so what.... its going to be really hard to start a new life - my furniture is somewhere in the South China Sea at the moment, my dogs are here but not allowed in the lounge (which they were in Australia) so wondering what the hell is going on and my poor cat is 'depressed' he just hasn't shown any interest in exploring outside even though the 2 weeks is up and he is allowed out now... he is just 'hybernating' on the wardrobe shelf...... oh well hopefully when the nice long summer evenings set in and I have become more 'established'....

Guest sunnyday
I have returned after 15 years in Australia and after one month back I am starting to wonder if I made the right choice to return. It is lovely over here and will be much nicer in the summer. Just been on phone to friend and talking about my plants I left behind and asking him to go to garden centre and buy this and that to look after them... I don't know.... I thought being back with mum would be good but she's got her life and its her house I'm living in and it just doesn't feel right - my brother lives around and hour and a half's drive away he is coming at Easter but isn't bringing his new girlfield who I havne't met - but then why should she come. It's not like I'm anyone really important just someone who has been living in Australia for 15 years who has returned 'home'... so what.... its going to be really hard to start a new life - my furniture is somewhere in the South China Sea at the moment, my dogs are here but not allowed in the lounge (which they were in Australia) so wondering what the hell is going on and my poor cat is 'depressed' he just hasn't shown any interest in exploring outside even though the 2 weeks is up and he is allowed out now... he is just 'hybernating' on the wardrobe shelf...... oh well hopefully when the nice long summer evenings set in and I have become more 'established'....

I feel so sorry for people when I read they're having a hard time. Hopefully now the weather is picking up and as you get out and about more things will improve for you. Everybody is just getting on with there own lives and hopefully you will find your niche soon and then you'll be able to enjoy time with your family without feeling left out. Best of luck :wubclub:

Hi Guys, so glad you have finally filled us in on what is happening. Sorry its not been easy. When i read your initial posts about going back i was interested as we have been in Melbourne now 22 years this Dec and i still sometimes want to go back, but i think i know its not the thing to do, I hope you decided to do what feels right for you as a family. It ok to come back here also, OZ is a very good country to live in, yes it has its faults but it also has some fabulous things going for it. I Wish you the best of luck for your future.

Well said.

UK has major flaws, but so does everywhere else that has the things I want to be able to live my life. (Canada, US, Oz, NZ etc.)

It also has breathtaking scenery (Scotland, Snowdonia, Cornwall, Devon, Lake district, Croydon etc.), great people with a great sense of humour, great food (I too love my curries) affordable cars, Europe on my doorstep and New York is only 5 and a bit hours away if I wanted.

I was THIS close to sending my forms away. But I have seen the light and decided that all of the above + the fact I would be giving away 20% of what I've earned over the years thanks to Sterlings performance this last 6 months has changed my mind.

Australia is a fantastic country, the UK is a fantastic country. YOUR country is alot easier to make work than a new one that you THINK will be better. If life isn't shaping up here/Aus, its going to be alot harder 12,000 miles away without a support network.

If I had bugger all here to give up, then maybe I think I would see things differently.

Nick.

Well said i think you put it in a nutshell.The main thing is i think, is you give up your roots and family.To come to a country where alot of Aussie's are anti pom.

Sorry to hear Fantasia that things are not working out as you had hoped in the UK. I too worry that when we get back I will miss Australia and that I will never now feel settled anywhere. You have not been back that long and I guess after being away 15 years it is going to take time, how long did it take you too feel settled in Australia or did you never settle.

Good luck with whatever you decide and please keep us updated on how things are going for you:hug:

Guest chris955

The problem is if people don't settle here and go home then don't settle there either I can't see the point in returning here. I would imagine it is going to ultimately be easier to settle at home than on the other side of the world ?

Guest jackie Macdonald
True. At least there's family here. Sometines I think its better when you don't have a 'choice' ... one is in danger of constantly comaring which isn't good is it.

Yes I agree, even if we despised living in that 'other place' I believe we will always wonder what might have been. It will never leave us however happy we may be. We have been given a choice on a grand scale and the decision to stay or return ultimately changes our whole destiny. It isn't any easy one to make.

jxx

Guest chris955

The problem starts with peoples expectations when they start the whole process. I was chatting to an English mate on the phone and he said it is everyones dream to live in Australia as it must be better than the UK. These people then come here and many realise in many ways it not better and in some ways is actually worse. It would be better all round if those individuals never had the opportunity to come here, it would certainly be better for them of course.

If you really want to make a go of it 'back home' you MUST keep the reasons you made the move at the front of your mind as those reasons wont miraculously change if you go back.

Guest mikeskinner1272
Arrived back in Aussie in early feburary,went for 6 weeks to check things out,went back 2 years before that for a battalion reunion.decided to return home, putting house on market after 24 years in Queensland.We have had enough.Things haven't changed at all,infact you wouldn't think the uk was in recession.But good luck in Byron?Don't forget the happy sticks:goofy:

Well hope all goes well for you back in the UK......Personally after 38 years in the UK we must get out of this sinking country.. You say no recession, The UK is borrowing £450.000.000 (million) a day....To pay off the banks debt will take 28 years, thats not what i want to pass onto my kids..I earn £25K a year and pay over £8k in tax and thats going up....I have been a plumber for 22 years and struggling to get a job, I'm classed as to old...got plenty of experience, but not interested. I have a job in Byron $80k a year, good weather, wife earning in OZ $45k....

If we hate it in OZ we may return, but I would rather try it and hate it, rather than live and regret it.

All the best.

Mike

Archived