I came to Oz and it didnt work because......................

Guest JoanneHattersley

Guest heliconia
PSsst.... heliconia... I didn't mean to influence you in anyway. I just know how I feel. I am excited to be here and have soooo much more exploring to do until I go 'home'. Who knows. 5 years down the track I could be waxing lyrical about cane toads and cockroaches....PM me if you wanna chat.

Don't worry, you didn't, my mind was pretty much made up. ( 2 years here already). I love the land, the mountains, rainforest, sea and we've had some great adventures. I just can't bear the rest of it. It's no big deal, we came, we saw, we went home. Life was pretty good in the UK. It was just good to see someone else putting my thoughts into words at that exact moment, like you, we'll probably be here another 12 months at least , during that time I'm going to do a trip back to the UK to see how that feels ( Shopping:jiggy:!) And like you I may just change my mind, I reserve the right to do so at any time.

You put it beautifully! (havn't worked out PMs yet!)

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
+This is the best post i have read on this site, maybe I am a northerner and a bit thick as well, but it made me smile alot , well done lad.

It's in the wrong thread - might have been better in the "we love Australia it's the best thing since sliced bread, thread". This is the "it didnt work" thread.

Guest rachandjon

I have completely highjacked the whole site, as I am actually an Aus in the UK! I have lived in England for 8 years, but my boyfriend (soon to be husband) and I are coming back to Perth next August. he is from the Eastend of London, and has lived in Sydney for a year and spent a few days in Perth. I like to look on this site, and threads like this. i have found some of the things people have said really useful. He thinks everything will be fine, but I keep telling him we have to keep our options open (he wants to get a dog the first month in perth - nows thats a commitment!). I spent 20 years in Perth and 8 years in london and I like and dislike things aobut both places. I have had English people saying to me 'you come from perth? What the hell are you doing here then?' I let them know that I love the multiculturalism of London, the history, the closeness to Europe, the local pubs, the football, the sense of humour, etc. I want to give moving back to perth a go as I am a beach girl and love the weather, but I have tried to inform by BF about the realities of living in Perth. I have always told the 'poms' that Perth is a bit like 'Pleasantville' (did I make that up, or is there a movie called that?) It's a bit too 'nice' sometimes. Can't explain it, just felt like that when I ws growing up. Also use the old line 'it was a great place to grow up, and probably a great place to settle down and have kids, but in the middle I want a bit more excitement'. Anyway, BF was devestated when I explained there was no such thing as a 'local' in Perth, and I wonder how he is going to converse with other males, when his opening line without fail over here is 'who do you support?' (and I don't think 'The Dockers' will open up much of a conversation!) Anyway, I like hearing about what other people's exeriences have been, so good thread and some good posts. I worry a bit if one of us does like it and the other one doesn't what would we do? Not too much, as we will just have to wait and see. We have some definite positives about Aus, as his work is rubbish at the moment in the UK, my family are all there, I still have friends there, and we like the outdoors, so will hopefully keep busy with that. I know he will miss his family anfd friends, but also the small things like 'Match of the Day' and his local. And there is nothing wrong with that!

Guest homeiswheretheheartis
I have completely highjacked the whole site, as I am actually an Aus in the UK! I have lived in England for 8 years, but my boyfriend (soon to be husband) and I are coming back to Perth next August. he is from the Eastend of London, and has lived in Sydney for a year and spent a few days in Perth. I like to look on this site, and threads like this. i have found some of the things people have said really useful. He thinks everything will be fine, but I keep telling him we have to keep our options open (he wants to get a dog the first month in perth - nows thats a commitment!). I spent 20 years in Perth and 8 years in london and I like and dislike things aobut both places. I have had English people saying to me 'you come from perth? What the hell are you doing here then?' I let them know that I love the multiculturalism of London, the history, the closeness to Europe, the local pubs, the football, the sense of humour, etc. I want to give moving back to perth a go as I am a beach girl and love the weather, but I have tried to inform by BF about the realities of living in Perth. I have always told the 'poms' that Perth is a bit like 'Pleasantville' (did I make that up, or is there a movie called that?) It's a bit too 'nice' sometimes. Can't explain it, just felt like that when I ws growing up. Also use the old line 'it was a great place to grow up, and probably a great place to settle down and have kids, but in the middle I want a bit more excitement'. Anyway, BF was devestated when I explained there was no such thing as a 'local' in Perth, and I wonder how he is going to converse with other males, when his opening line without fail over here is 'who do you support?' (and I don't think 'The Dockers' will open up much of a conversation!) Anyway, I like hearing about what other people's exeriences have been, so good thread and some good posts. I worry a bit if one of us does like it and the other one doesn't what would we do? Not too much, as we will just have to wait and see. We have some definite positives about Aus, as his work is rubbish at the moment in the UK, my family are all there, I still have friends there, and we like the outdoors, so will hopefully keep busy with that. I know he will miss his family anfd friends, but also the small things like 'Match of the Day' and his local. And there is nothing wrong with that!

You sound just like us. Love it. Look at it. Planning to go 'home'. Something not quite 'right'. Not with the country, the people or experiences. Just something not 'right' inside. A niggling feeling that this isn't 'it'.

Good luck!

... but also the small things like 'Match of the Day' ...
I think this bit can be fixed with cable.

Dogs are OK for others but they can make getting away for weekends and short spontaneous trips difficult. I know what you mean about the closeness of Europe, it can be a great place to visit and I know that some do take advantage of the cheap air fares but does the average person go there often?

I know what you mean by all this, it is sometimes difficult for Aussies and Brits to be partnered, married, etc. I have been going back and forth between the two countries for 20 years (born in Aust to UK parents) and called it quits on a relationship due to the fact that I knew he would not settle here. He wanted to emigrate with me and he would have done that, but it seemed his life was so different to what was on offer in Australia. While I didn't want to go without him, at that time I didn't want to commit permanently to the UK either - I didn't know what I wanted, and then I became torn between family and friends here in Aus, and making the life that I was offered in the UK.

I guess looking back now I could have made it work in the UK, as I came back here to a job I detested and my friends had families of their own and I was single. It took me a year to get back into living here, I wanted to go to the pub at midday for a drink, which I had been used to in the UK, but everyone looked at me strangely when I said that. (It's okay here to drink at midday at a BBQ at home though!). I was shocked myself to experience the culture shock in my own country, having been away for a few years - everything seemed so different I couldn't believe it.

I did eventually 'settle' , but I decided that I would go back and forth when I could financially do so, and that has helped a great deal. I sometimes think the cultural differences are more than many ever realise, and I can empathise with people who can't settle here. Having said that I do love Aus and the life I have here now, but I have made it that way too, I didn't want to live my life pining about what could have been. But each to their own - if you can't settle then there is nothing wrong with saying the adventure is over and I want to go home. Just some thoughts on this cold and sunny morning.......

Guest Kierodeniro

I was in the same situation as you (still kind of am). I live in Sydney and have done for a couple of years now. I had an Australian girlfriend whom I met in London, I moved here mainly for her, but I would be lying if I said the idea of living in Australia didn't excite me. I love this place and probably always will. I love the weather, laid back way of life, the people etc... But in the end the draw back home was too strong. Like you I love London for the history, the closeness to Europe, the art, the culture, the music scene, the nightlife and of course family/friends. My girlfriend is going to stay here, it's a terrible feeling breaking up with someone you love due to an external issue. But we have to do what makes as happy in the long run. I wish you all the best and hope it works out for you both.

P.S. You boyfirend really will miss the football and pub culture, but hey the weather and beaches may just make up for that! ;-)

Take care!

Guest jackie Macdonald
I was in the same situation as you (still kind of am). I live in Sydney and have done for a couple of years now. I had an Australian girlfriend whom I met in London, I moved here mainly for her, but I would be lying if I said the idea of living in Australia didn't excite me. I love this place and probably always will. I love the weather, laid back way of life, the people etc... But in the end the draw back home was too strong. Like you I love London for the history, the closeness to Europe, the art, the culture, the music scene, the nightlife and of course family/friends. My girlfriend is going to stay here, it's a terrible feeling breaking up with someone you love due to an external issue. But we have to do what makes as happy in the long run. I wish you all the best and hope it works out for you both.

P.S. You boyfirend really will miss the football and pub culture, but hey the weather and beaches may just make up for that!Take care!

I am so sorry to here your story, how awful for you both. It just goes to show you how the pull from home can be so strong it can break a loving relationship.

I hope you find happiness back home and wish you all the best.

Jackie x

P.S. You boyfirend really will miss the football and pub culture, but hey the weather and beaches may just make up for that! ;-)

Take care!

My sympathies. When relationships fall apart because one cannot or will not live where the other wants to live it is so hard. I guess at the end of the day you do have to weigh up whether life here with them would be less bad than life there without them. That's the only reason I stay here. I've had mine too long that I really dont want to be bothered training up a new one:twitcy:

Guest treesea

I've lived for long stints in Australia, seven years in Sydney and eleven years in Melbourne, and had some really happy times in Australia. But I always knew at some point I would move back to the UK, and in a way that was my escape valve. Knowing that meant I didn't feel trapped. Even though we had close friends, two houses and good jobs in Australia, the one thing I really hated was the weather. Australia is a "logical " country when it comes to weather, i.e. sunny means as hot as hell, and when it rains, it's serious rain. I prefer sunny and cold most of the time with a bit if drizzle here and there for variety, which Britain, imho :-), well, the east coast at least, does rather well.

When I got to my mid 40s, I realised there would come a point where I didn't have the confidence to move countries again. Moving to another country, even if it is back to your own, can be quite an intense experience, and I started to feel the might come a time when I wasn't up for it. By then we had been in Melbourne 11 years. I preferred Sydney to Melbourne, but my OH hated Sydney, so it wasn't an option to just move cities. I just gradually realised that I wasn't prepared to spend another two or three decades in Melbourne, wasting away into old age, always wondering about home and "what might have been".

So we decided to make the move. Well, really, I decided, and my OH was up for another adventure. What if he had said he wasn't going? Then we might have split up, because I would have thought if he wasn't up for new experiences, then he wasn't the right one for me anymore. I came back intending to live in London, my home town and where I had based myself on a previous recon visit almost two decades earlier. I told myself then if we didn't like it we could always go back to Australia.

To say London was a bit of a shock was an understatement. The poverty was overwhelming. Hounslow looked, in a word, dilapidated. My initial thought was panic - I hadn't actually thought beyond London because I had assumed we would live there. As it was, we travelled around Britain for six months before decided where to live. There was a moment though, in Cromer, (Norfolk), seeing the North Sea for the first time in 20 years, a silver sea, just as I had remembered it, when I knew I had made the right decision to come back.

It helped that my OH, who isn't British, was Australian by naturalisation, as I was, as opposed to actually from there. Having said that, we decided to live in a "neutral" country, Scotland, as opposed to England. I could have easily lived in Northumberland or Cornwall, but I didn't want to have to constantly defend my country to someone else. So we are still both immigrants, with one important difference. Even though it's Scotland, my land is still beneath my feet, and I can see the North Sea from the window.

Sure, the grandparents thought is on my mind now and then. My children are both Australian by birth, so I realise they may come a time when they want their land beneath their feet the same way I wanted mine. But I figure if they decide to return to Australia with their children in tow, as long as its to Sydney and we can afford a house on the water, with a view of the heads and the harbour bridge ( I rather fancy Point Piper....) maybe we'll go along for the ride.

Guest homeiswheretheheartis

Take care!

Sorry about how things worked out. It's tough at the time and you have been very brave to make the decision to part - braver than most would have been.

Remember though when you are doubting your decision. Better for it to have ended now than in another few years time... they would have been years lost and you'd probably regret that more...

Guest rachandjon

Take care!

Thanks, its always good to hear others' experiences, although I am sorry to hear that it has ended up that way... I guess two people coming from opposite sides of the world adds an extra pressure to a relationship. I think if you have lived in two places for a long time, there will always be things you miss about the other place. I guess my boy and I will just have to give it a go, and if we want to move back to England we always can. The only problem comes when one of you does and the other doesn't- then its not so easy! At the moment I think I would come back, but out of London somewhere near the beach - then I wouldn't have to miss that! And I tell you, as we are in the middle of a 'heatwave' here in london (32 dgrees) the weather is feeling pretty good too. Good luck with your move back to London.

Guest rachandjon
I know what you mean by all this, it is sometimes difficult for Aussies and Brits to be partnered, married, etc. I have been going back and forth between the two countries for 20 years (born in Aust to UK parents) and called it quits on a relationship due to the fact that I knew he would not settle here. He wanted to emigrate with me and he would have done that, but it seemed his life was so different to what was on offer in Australia. While I didn't want to go without him, at that time I didn't want to commit permanently to the UK either - I didn't know what I wanted, and then I became torn between family and friends here in Aus, and making the life that I was offered in the UK.

I guess looking back now I could have made it work in the UK, as I came back here to a job I detested and my friends had families of their own and I was single. It took me a year to get back into living here, I wanted to go to the pub at midday for a drink, which I had been used to in the UK, but everyone looked at me strangely when I said that. (It's okay here to drink at midday at a BBQ at home though!). I was shocked myself to experience the culture shock in my own country, having been away for a few years - everything seemed so different I couldn't believe it.

I did eventually 'settle' , but I decided that I would go back and forth when I could financially do so, and that has helped a great deal. I sometimes think the cultural differences are more than many ever realise, and I can empathise with people who can't settle here. Having said that I do love Aus and the life I have here now, but I have made it that way too, I didn't want to live my life pining about what could have been. But each to their own - if you can't settle then there is nothing wrong with saying the adventure is over and I want to go home. Just some thoughts on this cold and sunny morning.......

Thanks for your thoughts! I laughed about the drink in the pub at lunch time - my BF and I love a cheeky one in a pub in the afternoon, but when I go home to visit my family I drink so many bloody lattes I am buzzing from the caffeine! Its true to make the most of what you have, I am pretty happy anywhere to be honest! I did head back to perth a few years back, but decided it wasn't the right time for me, and I ALWAYS said I would never go back single - would have headed to Melbourne instead. We will give it a go and leave the dog for a bit so if we want to come back we can!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest saddler65

I am a new member who is in the UK and has always dreamed of living abroad, today it is my day off work and it is raining constantly, yet August, I feel trapped by the lack of sun in my life. Life in the UK can also feel like a half life, I feel trapped by the way I have lived my 44 years to just please everyone in my family, parents now Old and Mid life for me and Hubby, I hope my Kids (23, 21 & 16) don't ever feel trapped by us and go and live where they want.

after the olympics i saw a side to the aussies that was extremly ugly. I didn't want me or my family to be part of such an unsporting bitter and whinging bunch. That and the disgusting snags they try to pass off as sausages.

So before anyone thinks of starting a new life down under think!, can you live in a country that has such vile "sausages"?:wink:

after the olympics i saw a side to the aussies that was extremly ugly. I didn't want me or my family to be part of such an unsporting bitter and whinging bunch. That and the disgusting snags they try to pass off as sausages.

So before anyone thinks of starting a new life down under think!, can you live in a country that has such vile "sausages"?:wink:

I take your point Aldo. My main reason for returning was the bad qaulity of the Australian Sausage.

I think those who want to go and live the dream in Australia, and like a good sausage should really take this issue very seriously.

I take no joy whatsoever in belittling the aussie sausage and to many aussies their sausage is the most important thing in their life (even better than a nice piece of pie) but for me i couldn't live with my sausage unless it had the firmness and girth of a true British banger.

I take no joy whatsoever in belittling the aussie sausage and to many aussies their sausage is the most important thing in their life (even better than a nice piece of pie) but for me i couldn't live with my sausage unless it had the firmness and girth of a true British banger.

Oh dear how right you are.

The true Blue Aussies love their sausages like they do thier pies. And did not take kindly to me stating how more supiriour the British Sausage was. This statment got me into many a fight.

One Aussie Fella walked through the door too hear me be-littling the Australian sausage to his wife.

He shouted at me

"If you slag our sausages off, you slag me off" I could not beleive his reaction as I was in bed with his wife at the time.

Don't worry Aldo I got out alive.

I'm glad that you boys have found what you're looking for now that you've left Aus, it make me feel so much better that yout lives are now fulfilled because you've found good quality products, although some may feel it rather shallow that you based your whole experience on a sausage. But hey, it takes all sorts and if you two missed your sausages then that's a good enough reason to go home in my book ... Well done for making the decision

Guest guest30038

I was attending a barbecue with my GP and was staring in disbelief at the sorry pieces of burnt offering that were called "sausages". I was just about to bemoan the fact that one couldn't find "real" sausages in Oz, when my GP told me that my test results had come through and that I was in need of a quadruple by-pass. Imagine my relief when he said, "don't worry, these aren't our sausages, I've got some Tesco's specials just for us"

kev

get over it please, you've been there 30 years then start to complain? Apologies - but you sound really sour so jog on & don't put a dampener on life for everyone else

Guest proud2beaussie

I didn't want me or my family to be part of such an unsporting bitter and whinging bunch
Better give up your British citizenship then.:wink:

Guest pegasus 90
Marriedto and Aussie and Quoll, excellent posts. Really informative and very balanced. Quoll, I do not feel sorry for you but I do feel for you - and all those others who have OHs who consider another place 'home'.

For me, been here for 18 months. Came as an adventure in one of those, 'you only get one life, let's live it LARGE!' moments. Didn't think too much about it. Didn't have too many expectations. Thought it would be more beautiful. Did so little research my opinions were moulded by the 'Where the bloody hell are you?' adverts... naive? Me? Maybe...

I only have a few British friends in Oz. I can speak openly with them about things. BUT when an Aussie asks me if we are going to stay and I am honest... well - let's say I have learnt to be just positive and enthusiastic about all things Australian...

Here's what I have noticed that isn't for me...

1) Shopping malls - what's wrong with a local Post Office and Butchers? I live in the Gap, Brisbane and we have a hideous 'Gap Village' which is soul destroyingly souless.

2) Fast food joints. Hello?... I was expecting juice bars and local bakeries... not the americanised splurge of joints peddling fat and grease on every corner.

3) Medical system... I have private cover and still get hefty bills...

4) Nice beaches... yes .. they are there but often very far apart. When we arrived in Brisbane, we looked at the map and headed for Nudgee Beach. A mud flat. Then we moved on to Sandgate... more mudflats, then Redcliffe, getting better but not what we had hoped... we did this all the way up to Noosa and were still underwhelmed. I was expecting the likes of Whitsunday Island around every corner. Remember, I come from Cornwall where you can turn a corner and be faced with a little fishing village with golden sandy beaches stretched out in front of you...

No no no... I am not a 'whinging pom'... so I will stop. There are many more things but it's not Australia that's the problem. I chose to come here. I think it's my expectations. It's nothing what I thought it would be like. We didn't research. We just came. I got my expectations from what people said. 'It's amazing. Fantastic. Beautiful. Paradise....'

I have come to the conclusion that it is all that. BUT if you have a broad spectrum of previous destinations to compare it with is it really all that when compared to what you've had? For me, I am lucky enough to have this lot locked into my memory bank...

We owned a house in France and wondered amongst vineyards and valleys...

I lived in Spain and danced through the streets of unbelievably picture postcard fishing villages during the summer fiesta...

I lived in Belgium and made it my quest to visit as many monasteries as possible... all in the quest for the perfect beer...

We lived in Germany for 9 years and explored Bavaria, the splendid skiing of the Alps, marvelled at the Christmas Markets and mulled wine and the unexpected treasures of the coast...

I have enjoyed the Apres-ski in Switzerland after hair raising days on the slopes...

We had the best holiday of our lives in Tuscany... whilst cycling 60kms a day through 'to die for' villages and rolling hills...

I ate open sandwiches on the docks in Copenhagen and wondered at the fascination of the 'little mermaid'...

I wandered thought cobbled streets in Holland and dodged bicycles on my way...

We holidayed in the Carribbean and got caught up in the carefree welcoming 'island life'...

I was mystified by the popularity of Prague and couldn't help thinking I had missed the 'good parts'...

We drank strong coffee and ate delicious cake in the shadows of the mountains in Austria...

We welcomed in the New Year with 20 thousand other fancy dress clad revellers on the cobbled streets of St.Ives, Cornwall...

I EVEN... marvelled at the 'tinyness' of little country called Luxemborg and spent a day laying back on the grass watching the flags of many nations fly high and flutter in the breeze...

So... for me, whilst sunny weather, BBQs and beaches are great... I know I will go back.

Many people who have done all of the above arrive here and immediately settle.

Some, like me, don't.

It's not the country, it's the person.

And this here person will fly away 'home' after enjoying the gems of this beautiful land.

Fantastic post!!. You have summed up some of the most important reasons that we want to return to UK. Sun, BBQ's and beach can never replace what you have described. I have been in Oz for nine years and when I am with my friends (expats no less) all we can reminise about is the great things we got up to when we lived there. When we try to think of the things whilst here......errrrhhh silence. Laying on a beach is not exactly the basis for an interesting & diverse conversation!!

Your post highlights the diverse & interesting lifestyle that can be had from over there...thanks

P90

Archived