I came to Oz and it didnt work because......................

Guest JoanneHattersley

Guest JoanneHattersley

Each to their own isnt it! Would be a different/sad world if we all liked the same thing.

I have images of myself going back adn being like that,,not batting an eyelid and cant wait to get home to Oz.....

Then I wonder if I would get sentimental and homesick...............

One never knows!

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beautiful picture!

One of my best mates came from a picture postcard village on the Dart - absolutely stunningly beautiful and she would go back there in a heartbeat if she could but when she left, at 18, she thought it would be a prison sentence if she stayed - and so it would have been, probably. However now she would love to be able to slip on the old comfortable coat, walk along the river, visit friends in the village, take the bus into town etc. Not going to happen though because, like me, she is past the point of no return and all she can do is what she does and that is to go home every year and just lap up the atmosphere. My home town is beautiful to me but not quite the picturesque ruggedness that some places have.

Guest guest30038
Beautiful picture!

One of my best mates came from a picture postcard village on the Dart - absolutely stunningly beautiful and she would go back there in a heartbeat if she could but when she left, at 18, she thought it would be a prison sentence if she stayed - and so it would have been, probably. However now she would love to be able to slip on the old comfortable coat, walk along the river, visit friends in the village, take the bus into town etc. Not going to happen though because, like me, she is past the point of no return and all she can do is what she does and that is to go home every year and just lap up the atmosphere. My home town is beautiful to me but not quite the picturesque ruggedness that some places have.

There's the other side of the coin though.........This was taken on midsummer's day and it was bloody freezing!

Seven Minutes

The maximum time that an average person could survive in the English Channel in winter without protective clothing….............a typical “grey” day at Christchurch Bay, UK,

marker_-_%201300.jpg

There's the other side of the coin though.........This was taken on midsummer's day and it was bloody freezing!

Seven Minutes

The maximum time that an average person could survive in the English Channel in winter without protective clothing….............a typical “grey” day at Christchurch Bay, UK,

marker_-_%201300.jpg

Well then you should have wrapped up.

Marriedto and Aussie and Quoll, excellent posts. Really informative and very balanced. Quoll, I do not feel sorry for you but I do feel for you - and all those others who have OHs who consider another place 'home'.

For me, been here for 18 months. Came as an adventure in one of those, 'you only get one life, let's live it LARGE!' moments. Didn't think too much about it. Didn't have too many expectations. Thought it would be more beautiful. Did so little research my opinions were moulded by the 'Where the bloody hell are you?' adverts... naive? Me? Maybe...

I only have a few British friends in Oz. I can speak openly with them about things. BUT when an Aussie asks me if we are going to stay and I am honest... well - let's say I have learnt to be just positive and enthusiastic about all things Australian...

Here's what I have noticed that isn't for me...

1) Shopping malls - what's wrong with a local Post Office and Butchers? I live in the Gap, Brisbane and we have a hideous 'Gap Village' which is soul destroyingly souless.

2) Fast food joints. Hello?... I was expecting juice bars and local bakeries... not the americanised splurge of joints peddling fat and grease on every corner.

3) Medical system... I have private cover and still get hefty bills...

4) Nice beaches... yes .. they are there but often very far apart. When we arrived in Brisbane, we looked at the map and headed for Nudgee Beach. A mud flat. Then we moved on to Sandgate... more mudflats, then Redcliffe, getting better but not what we had hoped... we did this all the way up to Noosa and were still underwhelmed. I was expecting the likes of Whitsunday Island around every corner. Remember, I come from Cornwall where you can turn a corner and be faced with a little fishing village with golden sandy beaches stretched out in front of you...

No no no... I am not a 'whinging pom'... so I will stop. There are many more things but it's not Australia that's the problem. I chose to come here. I think it's my expectations. It's nothing what I thought it would be like. We didn't research. We just came. I got my expectations from what people said. 'It's amazing. Fantastic. Beautiful. Paradise....'

I have come to the conclusion that it is all that. BUT if you have a broad spectrum of previous destinations to compare it with is it really all that when compared to what you've had? For me, I am lucky enough to have this lot locked into my memory bank...

We owned a house in France and wondered amongst vineyards and valleys...

I lived in Spain and danced through the streets of unbelievably picture postcard fishing villages during the summer fiesta...

I lived in Belgium and made it my quest to visit as many monasteries as possible... all in the quest for the perfect beer...

We lived in Germany for 9 years and explored Bavaria, the splendid skiing of the Alps, marvelled at the Christmas Markets and mulled wine and the unexpected treasures of the coast...

I have enjoyed the Apres-ski in Switzerland after hair raising days on the slopes...

We had the best holiday of our lives in Tuscany... whilst cycling 60kms a day through 'to die for' villages and rolling hills...

I ate open sandwiches on the docks in Copenhagen and wondered at the fascination of the 'little mermaid'...

I wandered thought cobbled streets in Holland and dodged bicycles on my way...

We holidayed in the Carribbean and got caught up in the carefree welcoming 'island life'...

I was mystified by the popularity of Prague and couldn't help thinking I had missed the 'good parts'...

We drank strong coffee and ate delicious cake in the shadows of the mountains in Austria...

We welcomed in the New Year with 20 thousand other fancy dress clad revellers on the cobbled streets of St.Ives, Cornwall...

I EVEN... marvelled at the 'tinyness' of little country called Luxemborg and spent a day laying back on the grass watching the flags of many nations fly high and flutter in the breeze...

So... for me, whilst sunny weather, BBQs and beaches are great... I know I will go back.

Many people who have done all of the above arrive here and immediately settle.

Some, like me, don't.

It's not the country, it's the person.

And this here person will fly away 'home' after enjoying the gems of this beautiful land.

Fnck me you've lived a wonderful and varried life.

Have you tried the Chermside shopping center or Breakfast creek to get a culture fix. Or a stroll round North Lakes.

Good reading

John

Guest guest30038

Well then you should have wrapped up.

Like this poor bugger! :biglaugh: Rugged up and still bloody freezing! Taken on the same beach on the same day.......He looked like he was about to give up the ghost..........either that or he'd had enough of wifey's nagging!

1532632-1-get-up-you-lazy-bugger.jpg

Like this poor bugger! :biglaugh: Rugged up and still bloody freezing! Taken on the same beach on the same day.......He looked like he was about to give up the ghost..........either that or he'd had enough of wifey's nagging!

1532632-1-get-up-you-lazy-bugger.jpg

Thats you two init?

"Come on get up you lazy sod we're not putting up with this weather any more we are off too Aus"

"We should tell the Kids"

"No bollocks they'll be alright"

"And you can leave that unbrella, wont be needing that."

Guest guest30038

Thats you two init?

Nah, it's me two youngest............they wouldn't come with us............scared of spiders or some such nonsense :biglaugh:

kev

Guest bowbrum03

I lived in Spain and danced through the streets of unbelievably picture postcard fishing villages during the summer fiesta...

I lived in Belgium and made it my quest to visit as many monasteries as possible... all in the quest for the perfect beer...

We lived in Germany for 9 years and explored Bavaria, the splendid skiing of the Alps, marvelled at the Christmas Markets and mulled wine and the unexpected treasures of the coast...

I have enjoyed the Apres-ski in Switzerland after hair raising days on the slopes...

We had the best holiday of our lives in Tuscany... whilst cycling 60kms a day through 'to die for' villages and rolling hills...

I ate open sandwiches on the docks in Copenhagen and wondered at the fascination of the 'little mermaid'...

We holidayed in the Carribbean and got caught up in the carefree welcoming 'island life'...

I was mystified by the popularity of Prague and couldn't help thinking I had missed the 'good parts'...

We drank strong coffee and ate delicious cake in the shadows of the mountains in Austria...

We welcomed in the New Year with 20 thousand other fancy dress clad revellers on the cobbled streets of St.Ives, Cornwall...

I EVEN... marvelled at the 'tinyness' of little country called Luxemborg and spent a day laying back on the grass watching the flags of many nations fly high and flutter in the breeze...

Your "Blue Peter Badge" is in the post. Well done!!!

Guest Bertie

We have been here for 18 months on a 457 VISA and wondered why do people feel the need to embelish the truth are they trying to convince THEMSELVES they made the right choice?? We saw a post on here when we were still in the UK and someone had said about the graffitti in Melbourne and they were shouted down by people saying there was hardly any and what there was it is ART well we have seen graffitti in Melbourne,Sydney and Cairns and its not art just this TAGGING on peoples fences,cars and anywhere else so why lie about it when we arrived we were shocked with just how big a problem it is and the drug culture over here is massive we lived in Leeds in the UK so not really an idylic hamlet!! We do like OZ in the main but why not tell the truth about matters so that people can make an informed decision??

We have been here for 18 months on a 457 VISA and wondered why do people feel the need to embelish the truth are they trying to convince THEMSELVES they made the right choice?? We saw a post on here when we were still in the UK and someone had said about the graffitti in Melbourne and they were shouted down by people saying there was hardly any and what there was it is ART well we have seen graffitti in Melbourne,Sydney and Cairns and its not art just this TAGGING on peoples fences,cars and anywhere else so why lie about it when we arrived we were shocked with just how big a problem it is and the drug culture over here is massive we lived in Leeds in the UK so not really an idylic hamlet!! We do like OZ in the main but why not tell the truth about matters so that people can make an informed decision??

Perhaps the people who said they hadn't seen any ... really hadn't and weren't actually telling lies or trying to mislead people or trying to convince themselves. For example, i will tell you that the crime rate in my suburb is low, but someone in the same suburb who has experienced it first hand may tell you something different .... doesn't mean that either of us are not telling the truth, just giving our perceptions

Guest Bertie
Perhaps the people who said they hadn't seen any ... really hadn't and weren't actually telling lies or trying to mislead people or trying to convince themselves. For example, i will tell you that the crime rate in my suburb is low, but someone in the same suburb who has experienced it first hand may tell you something different .... doesn't mean that either of us are not telling the truth, just giving our perceptions

I agree with you if its crime like burglary and muggings etc but graffitti is everywhere how could you just not see it? on the whole no-one really tells you about the bad things here like drugs,hoons and the weekend violence in the city centres with 4 people dying every week and murders etc thats just my perception anyhow, dont take it the wrong way as I said we do like it here but cant understand everyone sugar coating everything and making it out like heaven down under and hell back in th UK cos its just not true:jiggy:

Guest guest30038
I agree with you if its crime like burglary and muggings etc but graffitti is everywhere how could you just not see it? on the whole no-one really tells you about the bad things here like drugs,hoons and the weekend violence in the city centres with 4 people dying every week and murders etc thats just my perception anyhow, dont take it the wrong way as I said we do like it here but cant understand everyone sugar coating everything and making it out like heaven down under and hell back in th UK cos its just not true:jiggy:

It could be true for those living in another place such as most N Brizzy suburbs.

If I told you that there's very littl graffiti where I live, very little hooning or violence...........I wouldn't be "sugar coating" at all. I'd simply be telling the truth.

kev

Guest Guruju

Hi Bertie

I don't sugar coat it either and in other posts I have provided links to official government stats that provide the crime figures by category in each suburb in WA, where I live. I think its best to check official sources as well as appreciating different perspectives from the people on this site. For example, I read in the paper that a drug lab in a sea container buried in a garden was discovered in my suburb - it's a big suburb by the way, so can I hand on heart say I don't see drug culture/behavior/activities in my suburb - absolutely - does that mean none occur - obviously not.

My personal view (and I used to be a police officer in the Midlands in the UK) is that on a scale of minor to major crime, it tends to be towards the minor end (but that's doesn't mean it has less impact on people's feelings or lives) such as grafetti, theft, hooning etc. Of course major crime occurs but not on the level I saw first hand in the UK.

I also think that Australia is more car dependent and public transport in some areas is a joke and lack integration and connection so I don't walk around as much at night as I would in the UK and this may mean I miss seeing some crimes occurring. Also we dont have the same pub culture as in the UK, we tend to go to each others houses or have a BBQ at a park or seafront area in the daytime - so I don't see the drunks and violence I saw at closing time in the UK - does that mean it doesnt happen - no - Northbridge in Perth City is a prime example of criminal activities I used to see in the High Streets of the UK - it has a cluster of pubs and nightclubs in a small geographical area and a high concentration of people - recipe for disaster.

Perception is not always reality and as previous posters have said - you can ask 10 people in the same suburb their views and get 11 answers LOL. Best just not rely on views but check the official sources as I said earlier. I'd also say rent (I did for about 5 years) in different areas and explore a lot before choosing somewhere to settle.

Cheers

Julia

Guest homeiswheretheheartis
Your "Blue Peter Badge" is in the post. Well done!!!

Bowbrum03 - sorry if I offended you in any way.

I have a whole bunch of mixed emotions about being here and sometimes use these forums as a way of working through my own feelings...

My bad.

Fnck me you've lived a wonderful and varried life.

Have you tried the Chermside shopping center or Breakfast creek to get a culture fix. Or a stroll round North Lakes.

Good reading

John

Hi Essex To Aus,

Thanks for that. I often process things on these forums. It really helps me understand where I am coming from. It was the first time I listed some of things like that and it really has helped me see why I maybe don't feel 'home' here.

As for the wonderful and varied life. I do feel really lucky. However, I am only 35 so hope I have a long way to go in my explorations and adventures!

And North Lakes... funny you should say that. We popped in after a swim and brekkie at Redcliffe on Saturday and were at Chermside cinema this evening.

Not our normal weekend fodder - when the sun is out, we hit Maleny, Mooloolaba, Straddie and the like but as it was raining... well, what can I say? Shopping and the movies hit the spot!

All the best

HIWTHI

Guest heliconia
Marriedto and Aussie and Quoll, excellent posts. Really informative and very balanced. Quoll, I do not feel sorry for you but I do feel for you - and all those others who have OHs who consider another place 'home'.

For me, been here for 18 months. Came as an adventure in one of those, 'you only get one life, let's live it LARGE!' moments. Didn't think too much about it. Didn't have too many expectations. Thought it would be more beautiful. Did so little research my opinions were moulded by the 'Where the bloody hell are you?' adverts... naive? Me? Maybe...

I only have a few British friends in Oz. I can speak openly with them about things. BUT when an Aussie asks me if we are going to stay and I am honest... well - let's say I have learnt to be just positive and enthusiastic about all things Australian...

Here's what I have noticed that isn't for me...

1) Shopping malls - what's wrong with a local Post Office and Butchers? I live in the Gap, Brisbane and we have a hideous 'Gap Village' which is soul destroyingly souless.

2) Fast food joints. Hello?... I was expecting juice bars and local bakeries... not the americanised splurge of joints peddling fat and grease on every corner.

3) Medical system... I have private cover and still get hefty bills...

4) Nice beaches... yes .. they are there but often very far apart. When we arrived in Brisbane, we looked at the map and headed for Nudgee Beach. A mud flat. Then we moved on to Sandgate... more mudflats, then Redcliffe, getting better but not what we had hoped... we did this all the way up to Noosa and were still underwhelmed. I was expecting the likes of Whitsunday Island around every corner. Remember, I come from Cornwall where you can turn a corner and be faced with a little fishing village with golden sandy beaches stretched out in front of you...

No no no... I am not a 'whinging pom'... so I will stop. There are many more things but it's not Australia that's the problem. I chose to come here. I think it's my expectations. It's nothing what I thought it would be like. We didn't research. We just came. I got my expectations from what people said. 'It's amazing. Fantastic. Beautiful. Paradise....'

I have come to the conclusion that it is all that. BUT if you have a broad spectrum of previous destinations to compare it with is it really all that when compared to what you've had? For me, I am lucky enough to have this lot locked into my memory bank...

So... for me, whilst sunny weather, BBQs and beaches are great... I know I will go back.

Many people who have done all of the above arrive here and immediately settle.

Some, like me, don't.

It's not the country, it's the person.

And this here person will fly away 'home' after enjoying the gems of this beautiful land.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I've been reading this thread, trying to decide what to do for the best, I dislike Australia, quite a lot. Your post has made up my mind, I'm going home!

Thanks so much!

Guest Impatient

Great thread everyone (even if I did miss all the fun that has been deleted from the first few pages!).

The value of this site is that it allows us all to share, to see our concerns reflected in others' experiences and to make sure that we really think about what we are doing. Of course, there will always be people that move back. Life moves on, priorities change, the things that are important to us change and so does where we want to be. All we can do is make considered decisions based on as much evidence as possible and remain flexible.

And so I would like to say thanks again to those that have shared feelings and experiences they maybe never expected to have with those of us that don't expect to have them either. It is always brave to put your heart out onto one of these threads and even though we hide behind forum names criticism of our views can be hurtful. Thank you for taking that risk and sharing.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I've been reading this thread, trying to decide what to do for the best, I dislike Australia, quite a lot. Your post has made up my mind, I'm going home!

Thanks so much!

PSsst.... heliconia... I didn't mean to influence you in anyway. I just know how I feel. I am excited to be here and have soooo much more exploring to do until I go 'home'. Who knows. 5 years down the track I could be waxing lyrical about cane toads and cockroaches....PM me if you wanna chat.

I see Australia is overpriced and overrated, lot of hassle about anything, country 20 years behind Europe looks good on postcards and that's all. When you come and see it all you are disappointed. Lack of work, poor quality of everything, and is very expensive. This was wrong choice to come here, nice utopia dream is sold perfectly. Living and working in the UK I could afford very easy buying good quality items, holidays, be back home before 5 pm and in Australia I can't find a job.

To all those coming out here........... it can be pretty hard to adapt when you first arrive. Things are........... aaahhhh......kinda different down under. To those on their way back 'home'............ good luck. To those about to venture over here for the first time......... be prepared as Baden used to say. Here's a little story I told a couple of years ago :

I'm going to tell you a story

No.............. it's not Max Bygraves

This really happened to us and it was very hard to settle into our new lifestyle and get used to what to us; was indeed a weird culture when we first arrived down-under as a family. If nothing else I hope it encourages some of you to give it a go down here ..... ......... and not pack it all in and run back 'home'.

ONCE UPON A TIME.................

We arrived here with a 1, 3, and a 4 year old and my wife could hardly speak a word of English............ and it was crap cos all the mums at kindy were up themselves............ and i couldn't get a job............ and we bought a crap house in a crap area cos we didn't know any different............. and when it rained the roof leaked and we got flooded out........... and the insurance company wouldn't replace the damaged carpets ............and they just sent a bloke round with a big jetlike looking space age gas heater thingy........ and we had to dry the carpets out......... and then sprinkle some nice smelly eucalyptus oil they gave us.......... and then through the insurance company we found we had bought an 'ouse with an illegal extension built onto it........ and we didn't know no different cos we're thick up north apparently........... and that news about the illegal extension gave us a giant headache ............ and then we bought a work van which unbeknownst to us was a rust bucket masked by a paint job........ and tons of filler putty.........and anyway I didn't really need a work van cos i couldn't find a job..........and it was really really horrible......... and we really really hated it............. and before too long all our savings were dwindling............and i started going to church but that didn't seem to make any difference............ and i had to go sign on at Centrelink down Mirrabooka way........... and that was just like being in downtown Saigon down there... ............. and the people at Centrelink were really horrible and nasty........ ..... and cruel too............ and i thought i was just as sick as a Peruvian parrot cos i couldn't get a job........... and the doctors said i was depressed... .......... and the pills they gave me just made me more and more depressed ....... and we got invited round to the neighbour's house for a barby.......... and they said bring a plate........... and we did........... and they all laughed at us..... .... and we didn't know why they were laughing........... but a few days later we found out we were supposed to put something on the plate........ but no-one had ever told us that......... and they gave me a stubbie holder........ and then they gave me a bottle of beer...........and like you do i poured the beer into the stubbie holder........... and that's not cos I'm thick from up north........ that's because i didn't know any different......... and in the stubbie holder there's apparently two likkle holes which allow condensation to drip out......... and the beer wet my shorts......... and that was really hilarious and they all laughed at us again ......... and they took the mickey out of the way we pronounced our words........... and it was really really horrible.......... and we really really hated it more and more............. but we were broke by now so there was nowt we could do about it............ and things got worse cos i couldn't say book properly........... because I'm not posh ................and the Aussies were going to looook for a boooook........... and i didn't know what they meant.........confused.gif cos we're thick up north........... and then i realised they were taking the mickey ........... and i didn't think that was right........... and it seemed like we were being ridiculed all the time......... and it just got too much to bear.......... and we really wanted to go back to England........... and apparently our newfound Aussie acquaintances wanted us to go back to England too......cos we were really pommie bastards.......... and apparently we smell a lot.......... cos we only bath once a week in England......... and when a real big bloke told me this .... ..... i was dumbfounded.......... and he started pushing me around........ and prodding me......... so I hit him ....... and we had what they call a blue! ............ and I'm only likkle.......... and i can normally take a fair bit of stick.. ....... but enough's enough.......... and i started to stick up for meself....... and i gave this bully a good hiding........ and they didn't know how such a likkle bloke like me could do that to such a big bloke........... and i never told them.................... and they all become really friendly to us........ and from then on...... it got much much better because seemingly we had earned their respect ............. and it got really really good ........... and then we decided it was okay........ and the Aussies really liked us now.... ...... and they let their kids play wiv ours.........and now it's really really good........... and we love it over here....... and the Aussies love us too.......... and we don't go to see those idiots at Centrelink anymore....... and i learned to swear in Vietnamese ....... and our bank manager really really loves us....... cos we give him heaps of money to look after for us....... and he talks to us like bank managers used to do in the olden days.. ......... and the kids found good schools ............ and they did really really well........... and we did really really well cos I got a good job ..........and we built a big new house ......... and we didn't have a mortgage......... and that's really good.........and our overseas visitors thought we'd won lotto........and we hadn't......... but having a good job made us feel like we'd won Lotto..........and that felt really good cos it made me realise it is possible to escape from life on a dreary run-down council house in the wet and cold north west of England....... so that too is really really good.......... and then we bought anudder house......... and then anudder one too....... and then a Jag......... and 4 udder cars as well............so I think we've ........ well we've sort of cracked it.......... but it hasn't always been easy.......... but we have each other.......... and that's very good.........so after a lot of initial hardship... .. ..... and a great deal of heartache .... ....... we learned to endure same......... and we learned to cope......... and we're glad we did ........... and we have no regrets about coming here.......... none whatsoever........... and we hope you will be able to stick it out too......... and we hope that in the long run you'll be able to tell more or less the same story too? thumbsup.gif

.........................THE END ............ for now.

+This is the best post i have read on this site, maybe I am a northerner and a bit thick as well, but it made me smile alot , well done lad.

+This is the best post i have read on this site, maybe I am a northerner and a bit thick as well, but it made me smile alot , well done lad.

I thouhgt it was great too ... like you I'm from 'up north'

Ali

Guest mgfisher09
I thouhgt it was great too ... like you I'm from 'up north'

Ali

That post was the funniest thing I've read in a long time! I was almost crying with laughter and I can't wait to emigrate to Oz now!

Archived