and its goodnight from him...........

Guest sooveroz

Guest sooveroz

hello all first post alert:goofy: have been here 2 years now and for us its time to go back. we like it ok but its not enough. honeymoon period lasted probably 1 year to 18 months then the realisation of WTF have we done????? OH not happy and I was walking home from work one day and I just thought to myself "what the hell am I doing here" and its never left me since.

So we are looking at moving back within the year assuming the house gets sold. its not the best time but i think if we are realistic with the price will be ok.

I do worry about going back as we have a nice life here - cant complain about much but its not living. do like the climate (although not when its really humid) and we are financially better off here. but it feels like treading water. have met plenty people and some we really like (about 4!!!) but most of the time you are meeting people for something to do rather than because you particularly like them - whats that about?

funny thing is we talked about all this before we came out and thought we would be ok - just goes to show you just dont know until you do it.

going back feels worse than leaving as it was all excitement leaving whereas going back is tinged with regret that it wasnt to be although starting to feel excited too. just hoping that we can settle again on the other side as we dont hate it here...................anyone else feel the same???????

Guest TheArmChairDetective

welcome to PIO.

Sorry to read about you decision but as you say, you have tried it, you like it there but think it would be better for you back in the UK.

I do hope you don't ping pong and find what your looking for.

whereabouts in oz are you currently?

Guest sooveroz

northern suburbs of perth. also have lived a bit further down south but prefer it up here. no issues with where we are really - its just not us. cant say i dont worry about pingponging though. just seen something shocking on BBC world - a banker in edinburgh had his windows put in with a brick and the shocking thing was............it was quite sunny in the film coverage!!!!!!!!!!

Guest TheArmChairDetective
just seen something shocking on BBC world - a banker in edinburgh had his windows put in with a brick and the shocking thing was............it was quite sunny in the film coverage!!!!!!!!!!

Light doesn't mean warmth.:smile:

Guest BarbersRgo?

Hi

Well at least you have given it a good go. Hubby and I said that we would have to give it two years before we knew where we stood.

Good luck to you and if you fancy a 4 bed house in SUNNY Brighton, let me know!! LOL:idea:

Guest 1957alan

iI KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN/LIKE TREADING WATER/GOOD DAYS/BAD DAYS/IVE BEEN IN AUS FOR ABOUT THE SAME TIME AS YOUS GUYS,AND I HAVENT FOUND ANY BALANCE IN LIFE, WHAT SO EVER.ITS NOT FOR THE WANT OF TRYING,BUT THEY SAY THE FIRST 2 YEARS IN AUS ARE THE WORSE,AND AFTER THAT IT GETS BETTER,I GUESS ILL JUST KEEP PLUGING AWAY,SO GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR DECISION,AND ALL THE BEST,KIND REGARDS ALAN.

Guest Dionne and Rickie

I second that god its so cold, the sun is very decieving! good luck with yours plans, sorry it didn't work out for you couldn't you just give it another year and see.

Sorry its not working out.

Must admit though there have been times in my life I have felt like I am treading water and going through the motions, however have worked it out that its nothing to do with where I am its just me at that point in time and it passes.

I know if I went to live somewhere else my life would be the same as here as I am a creature of habit and as we age that happens age actually change us a lot by stealth.

Beware the ping pong so find out what you really want from life before blowing the dollars.

Guest janeubu

hi welcome,have you thouught about trying brisbane ?I personally dont think you are missing much not being in u.k,not a very nice place to be and only to get alot worse.What about coming back for a holiday to confirm feelingsXJANE

Guest sooveroz

thanks to everyone who has responded and for the good wishes and points raised. we did consider trying somewhere else but the problem is not that we dont like it here, its more like we just miss too much about home. not just F+F, but the overall way of life. true the weather is great here although I now realise I don't like "the heat" as much as I thought I did LOL! there are only so many clothes you can take off and before we came, I never thought I would look forward to being cold again.

i really think the australian way of life has many positives and for some they will have the most fantastic lives if they settle as a family. but just not us -in some ways wish it had been but its not so time to get over it and move on. dont want to leave it any longer because eldest child at the stage of changing to senior school so want to move back before that happens. One thing i do think though is that they will get a better high school education where we are going back to (Scotland) but I think they have better primary schooling here - my opinion only!!

I do worry that we will never feel settled again - please dont make us ping pongers!

Guest brooksey

I think if your in the mood to return to the UK it's a fantastic time with the pound/dollar exchange rate and bargain house prices to be had in the UK at the mo. Good luck

i agree 100% with everything you say, we have been here 2 years in a couple of months and i have never felt settled. my wife is 50-50 and if i was ok she would be to, but i find oz life indifferent, yes nice weather , unless its too hot which is as bad as a uk winter ie dont go out of the house.

i feel that if there was a manual for how to emigrate and settle we have done it, eg, research- i lived here before '91-'93, saving up, buying a house and getting permanent jobs. i have also joined a local sports club , been there about a year now and whereas i was very popular at my old club on and off the field, here i get the impression most of the people wouldnt care less if i burst into flames. it is a very aussie area where i live and i definatley get the feeling of going out with people just for something to do rather than because you like them.

a lot is made of the 'legendary' oz sense of humour.....well in my and my wife's experience the aussies can take them selves far too seriously...almost to the point of being anal,(pardon swearword),especially when you are dealing with officialdom of any kind.

i work in the steel industry and have for most of my life, the attitude at work is different than uk, i find most aussies almost servial in thier approach to work, ie, "i have to work over because i have been asked" , or " you have to do the right thing, and prove your a good worker", which they say a lot, this tied up with a real bad attitude to safety makes me very frustrated, the manangement talk the talk on safety but they dont walk the walk.

we are going back for a holiday in september, ( i want to go now for good ), as my wife wants to get our citizenship which we can apply for in june, but i wonder if there is any point as i cant see me wanting to come back, also we will still need a mortgage in the uk and we now have two cats which we want to take back...money + stress etc,etc. but at the end of the day we both miss f+f and i daily think 'what the f##k am i doing here?', i dont want to be 100% negative about the place as we live in a nice house/area etc and we are surrounded by natural beauty.....but its just not us.

when i read the posts i did whilst still in the uk in 2007 i could cringe as i really slag the uk off , but thats where my heart lies, hopefully not too long!!

Guest Swing low sweet chariot

I agree, we desperately want to return to the UK. You don't realise what you've left behind until you haven't got it anymore. At least we've got it out of our system and gave it a go. We long to be back in England, Aus just doesn't do it for us. Me & the wife had great jobs and a lovely house close to the coast, though nestled in the Dorset countryside. There are just too many things to list that we miss about England. I long to feel cold air, smell the autumn breeze, have a real Christmas with the fire on. The incessant heat in Aus is orrible! At least the UK summer allowed my boy to play out nearly every day, even if it did rain a little. I'm not convinced that Aus gives a better lifestyle, It's quite expensive in a lot of areas. Anyway, good luck to those who have made their minds up to go back.

good luck to you all going back or elsewhere , and one things for sure , its a chapter in your lifebook , who knows whats around the corner ! all the best ..don't see it as a failure or not settled its like that strange meal on the menu .. you have to try it once , just in case its to your taste !

Hi Sooveroz

We returned to Edinburgh 2 and a half years ago from Perth and have tried to return but failed to sell our house due to the credit crunch. We love Oz but also don't mind living here, there are pros and cons to both. I have decided now that we may not ever feel totally satisfied where we live but we just have to make the best of it. We are returning to Perth next week to validate our visas even though we will probably never get back permanently. For all we miss the lovely weather etc in Perth I still appreciate being near family and friends again and I do think people are more importatn than places.

I wok with a few people who have lived in oz and happily settled back to the uk and they would never pingpong.

And the day in Edinburgh with the banker and the vandalism, the weather was actually warm and sunny!!

All the best

Arlene

thanks to everyone who has responded and for the good wishes and points raised. we did consider trying somewhere else but the problem is not that we dont like it here, its more like we just miss too much about home. not just F+F, but the overall way of life. true the weather is great here although I now realise I don't like "the heat" as much as I thought I did LOL! there are only so many clothes you can take off and before we came, I never thought I would look forward to being cold again.

i really think the australian way of life has many positives and for some they will have the most fantastic lives if they settle as a family. but just not us -in some ways wish it had been but its not so time to get over it and move on. dont want to leave it any longer because eldest child at the stage of changing to senior school so want to move back before that happens. One thing i do think though is that they will get a better high school education where we are going back to (Scotland) but I think they have better primary schooling here - my opinion only!!

I do worry that we will never feel settled again - please dont make us ping pongers!

HI

I could have written this post myself ...I too missed the Uk and the way of life that I had but I could also see the positives of staying In Oz although it wasn't where I wanted to live.

Anyway we moved back to bonny scotland in November after 2 years in Brisbane and it is the best thing we have ever did.We are so settled and have that feeling of contentment....no highs or lows...just happiness ,for us its great.If you can secure a job the recession will work a little in your favour as more Pounds for your dollars,cheaper housing and cheap cars.

My hubby got a job before his return and I secured a part time job in my old work yesterday(Construction and Finance ...wonder if they will last:huh:) and yes we had some sunny weather in March. It is fantastic being home ....I hope you and your familuy feel the same way.

Guest sooveroz

i have also joined a local sports club , been there about a year now and whereas i was very popular at my old club on and off the field, here i get the impression most of the people wouldnt care less if i burst into flames.

LOL at that. I have this vision of you spontaneously combusting and all those around you saying....whatever, get over it :laugh: we said the same only recently - i used to think we were quite popular!! our parties were legendary, folk would come from miles around...........dont get me wrong, we have made a very small number of good friends who actually call us etc but all the rest - if we didnt phone them we would never see them again. but i would stress that i think if we stayed, it would probably be different in a few more years but maybe just not prepared to put that graft in to feel wanted. god now i sound really sorry for myself but honest gov, i'm not!!

Guest sooveroz
Hi Sooveroz

We returned to Edinburgh 2 and a half years ago from Perth and have tried to return but failed to sell our house due to the credit crunch. We love Oz but also don't mind living here, there are pros and cons to both. I have decided now that we may not ever feel totally satisfied where we live but we just have to make the best of it. We are returning to Perth next week to validate our visas even though we will probably never get back permanently. For all we miss the lovely weather etc in Perth I still appreciate being near family and friends again and I do think people are more importatn than places.

I wok with a few people who have lived in oz and happily settled back to the uk and they would never pingpong.

And the day in Edinburgh with the banker and the vandalism, the weather was actually warm and sunny!!

All the best

Arlene

thanks for that - makes me feel a bit better about it - both the weather and the ping pongnig

Archived