Britain world's favourite country

Guest earlswood

Guest ashleygerrald

Britain is really a lovely place.. Antwerp, Brugges, France, London, Paris to name a few.

ashley

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest 0405delboy
I'm not going to stroke your ego and find certain posts / threads that back up my claim, most of them have probably been removed anyway, you know as well as I though that you have constantly 'mad mouthed' Australia and do so any chance you get.

To be honest what has really offended me is the times you have put down the Australian race as a whole, be it by saying that we're derived from 'lower class British stock', or are 'the most ignorant and uncouth race in the world' - both claims completely unfounded, unfair and downright arrogant.

Dunno why you Aussies are so touchy about it! For the ONE person on PIO that condemns Australia, theres a thousand more that love the place. Most Brits have had to grit their teeth at the assault of their nation (physically) let a loan a swipe at customer service or the race as a whole (as whingers).

I know youre not stupid though, as you picked a fine Englishman as your mate. Just make sure you dont bad mouth him and his own in the process.

Guest 0405delboy
Dunno why you Aussies are so touchy about it! For the ONE person on PIO that condemns Australia, theres a thousand more that love the place. Most Brits have had to grit their teeth at the assault of their nation (physically) let a loan a swipe at customer service or the race as a whole (as whingers).

I know youre not stupid though, as you picked a fine Englishman as your mate. Just make sure you dont bad mouth him and his own in the process.

Apologies, all this Aussie hydro has robbed me of my faculties. I can barely string a sentence together these days!

A bit of disability awareness is in order! :chatterbox:

Guest smc01

I have noticed that Aussies do seem to have a bit of an inferiority complex when it comes to the perception of others in the world - dunno what that is, maybe all those years of being called criminals?! :laugh: But a bit of that has probably been ingrained into me without even knowing it. I do get a bit of stick over here though - do you know how many times I've been asked to throw another shrimp on the barbie, eat some witchety grubs, if the cops drive past with sirens I'll get asked if they're coming for me, ask if I know Harold Bishop, etc etc - should I get the tissues out now?! :cry:

Ha I do actually find all of that quite funny, and know it's all in jest - but the comments I were referring to are just insulting. If I said 'Brits are the most ignorant race of people in the world' you guys would probably have my head, and rightly so!!

Would never bad mouth Brits or the UK as a whole, (my Grandmother is Welsh and Great Grandparents are English, and my surname is Irish - Dad is American) I love you guys and love it here, I'm sadder about leaving and going back to Aus than my OH is!!

Guest 0405delboy
I have noticed that Aussies do seem to have a bit of an inferiority complex when it comes to the perception of others in the world - dunno what that is, maybe all those years of being called criminals?! :laugh: But a bit of that has probably been ingrained into me without even knowing it. I do get a bit of stick over here though - do you know how many times I've been asked to throw another shrimp on the barbie, eat some witchety grubs, if the cops drive past with sirens I'll get asked if they're coming for me, ask if I know Harold Bishop, etc etc - should I get the tissues out now?!

Ha I do actually find all of that quite funny, and know it's all in jest - but the comments I were referring to are just insulting. If I said 'Brits are the most ignorant race of people in the world' you guys would probably have my head, and rightly so!! Would never bad mouth Brits or the UK as a whole, (my Grandmother is Welsh and Great Grandparents are English, and my surname is Irish - Dad is American) I love you guys and love it here, I'm sadder about leaving and going back to Aus than my OH is!!

Its cool! My background is all mixed up too. Aussie, Irish, Scottish but its nothing, my birthplace is England and although I would be classed as a jackboot nationalist, I have nothing but love for the place I was born in. Having said that, when Im overseas, I dont like to hear Australia badmouthed either, and my dodgy accent has put me on the spot loads of times! Since this is the Poms In oZ forum though, its all fair game. :jimlad:

Aw no offence meant! Should of said London or somewhere else but what sprang to mind was when we went to Liverpool, parked our car, got out and had lunch and came back to find all 4 rims had been taken!!!

I do think though that the Liverpool accent is fantastic! Have made scouser mates at clubs simply because I liked hearing them talk!!!

Chill out s,im used to it by now anyway,just thought i'd mention it:cool:,as regards the accent.......i dont particularly like it myself,too awkward when abroad.if it was just your rims count yourself lucky.

Guest 0405delboy
Chill out s,im used to it by now anyway,just thought i'd mention it:cool:,as regards the accent.......i dont particularly like it myself,too awkward when abroad.if it was just your rims count yourself lucky.

Come on Pablo, wheres ya pride? Its a ballsy accent and SUPREMELY English! Wear it with pride!!!!! " Dont let the bastards grind ya down".

:radar:

Guest smc01
Come on Pablo, wheres ya pride? Its a ballsy accent and SUPREMELY English! Wear it with pride!!!!! " Dont let the bastards grind ya down".

:radar:

You know what I have found amusing, is when I meet a scouser in a club at the start of the night I can barely understand what they're saying, but as the night goes on (and so do the drinks) it gets easier and easier! :laugh:

Guest earlswood
I'm not going to stroke your ego and find certain posts / threads that back up my claim, most of them have probably been removed anyway, you know as well as I though that you have constantly 'mad mouthed' Australia and do so any chance you get.

To be honest what has really offended me is the times you have put down the Australian race as a whole, be it by saying that we're derived from 'lower class British stock', or are 'the most ignorant and uncouth race in the world' - both claims completely unfounded, unfair and downright arrogant.

But that is a fact and you cannot deny that tens of thousands of undesirables and criminals were shipped out to the colonies over the last couple of hundred years, I am not making it up it is a fact.

And I did not say they were the most uncouth race in the world....I said they were one of them.

But that is a fact and you cannot deny that tens of thousands of undesirables and criminals were shipped out to the colonies over the last couple of hundred years, I am not making it up it is a fact.

And I did not say they were the most uncouth race in the worls....I said they were one of them.

Wrong all the most undesirables and lower class convicts were either topped or rotted i Newgate ,deportation was for the political crims and those that could not bail them selves out , it was actually a better class of crim that got deported just like you from Perth Earls

Guest smc01

And I did not say they were the most uncouth race in the world....I said they were one of them.

'Undesirables?' for taking a loaf of bread to feed a starving family, stealing from a rabbit warren or for supporting Irish independence?! And the wardens, guards, wives and children don't count? Or the fact that Australia's population has quadrupled since the end of World War 1, when convicts were no longer being sent over? They stopped sending them over in 1868!

And these are your exact words - Australian in general women are bigger than British women….taller but also fatter….they are in a word quite thick to be honest and not street-wise at all which after decades of going out and marrying the most ignorant and uncouth race of men in the world you cant blame them - I'm sorry, but since when did Northbridge become a snapshot of the state of the entire Australian population? :radar:

Gee, I'm proud of my convict. She was shipped to Australia for being a Luddite (think that's the label they were given) and for smashing a bit of factory along with the mobs who stormed the big mills to dismantle the machinery which threatened to take their jobs.

After being transported to Australia, she never saw her husband, children or parents again. She was used basically as a slave in Oz and because it didn't break her spirit, she was regarded as 'insolent' and given another sentence and sent off to Parramatta to work, where she eventually died.

She wasn't a low criminal in my opinion.

My other early Aussie ancestor came out as a free-man in 1882 .. paid his own way. Went to the gold-fields and later built a lot of the historic buildings in Tasmania's Battery Point, apparently. Then sailed back to England with his wife in I think 1912, as quite a wealthy man.

If you visit the Barracks museum in Sydney, all those transported to Australia are named and alongside is listed their 'crime'. Many had done nothing more than pinch a loaf of bread, or a button hook. They were starving in England at the time. And the bit of work that was available was often grabbed by European migrants. For example, 8,000 Italian migrants went to Britain in search of work in a relatively short period and that's not taking into account all the thousands of European migrants of other nationalities.

If my children were starving, would I steal a relatively cheap cotton petticoat from a wealthy employer in the hope of swapping it for a bit of food for my family ? You bet I would. Especially if my employer had more petticoats than she could count, paid me next to nothing, overworked and exploited me and her husband had been groping me in the kitchens.

In any event, Britain wanted to populate Australia. And the wealthy landowners in the colony wanted workers and servants. They grabbed the poor on misdemeanors and dumped them in ships destined for big old empty Australia .. instant population. If the Aussies wanted to, they could probably win a class action against the UK.

It was the same old story: the rich got rich and the poor got shafted. They were sending child 'criminals' out on those six month long voyages, trapped down in the fetid holds of those old tubs. And anyone in the UK who had influence and wanted to 'get rid of someone' had them transported to Oz on trumped-up charges and declared 'criminally insane' or 'habitual violent criminal' and locked in leg-irons and forced to carve roads through solid rock with pick-axes, with a brutal whipping if they protested their innocence.

The lords and lady Muck and their families didn't want to soil their fat lazy hands with work. They needed decent, hard-working women to launder their 'smalls' by hand and cook their family meals and tend to their broods of spoiled children. So they took decent, hardworking, house-proud women from Britain's towns and villages .. took them away from their own children and put them to work as unpaid slaves for the gentry.

Same with the men the gentry needed to cut their lawns, clean their chimneys and grow their food in their kitchen gardens. They didn't want hardened criminals around their families, especially as Lord Muck was travelling around the colony and back and forth to Britain 'on business' for months at a time. Yes, they chose decent, God-fearing men to guard their wives and children. Stole them from their own families who were left destitute back in Britain.

So we know just from the work they were put to in Australia, that these so-called 'criminals' were criminal in name only and were in fact highly principled men and women, sent out to personally minister to the landed gentry for no pay. Slaves who were falsely accused in many instances and others who were 'guilty' of the most trivial crimes.

There were some bad guys too, of course. But I'll bet most of the bad guys stayed right where they were .. in the British Parliament and 'establishment'. They're still there.

Hey you started it the other day del:confused:,lol! no im not "ashamed" of it at all, it is just probably more difficult for yanks/probably aussies? to understand than a southern/home counties accent,therefore it can be a pain thats all,its a mix of an accent btw,lancs,welsh,irish......so the lpool echo says anyway! i'l see yer in the port noarlunga hotel in april and you decide:biglaugh:

Guest TheArmChairDetective
Gee, I'm proud of my convict. She was shipped to Australia for being a Luddite (think that's the label they were given) and for smashing a bit of factory along with the mobs who stormed the big mills to dismantle the machinery which threatened to take their jobs.

After being transported to Australia, she never saw her husband, children or parents again. She was used basically as a slave in Oz and because it didn't break her spirit, she was regarded as 'insolent' and given another sentence and sent off to Parramatta to work, where she eventually died.

She wasn't a low criminal in my opinion.

That is an impressive bit of Genealogy there, thanks for sharing. Was it your work or passed down through the family please?

That is an impressive bit of Genealogy there, thanks for sharing. Was it your work or passed down through the family please?

Thank you, ArmChairDetective. I've been extremely fortunate. Quite late in life, I was contacted by cousins in the UK and extended family members in the US, most of whom are deeply involved in the family history, oddly enough. They've been at it for years, apparently. The family's lived in the same small region of the UK for centuries and many quite old documents have been handed down through the generations. There are quite a number of teachers and the odd professor or two on both sides of the Atlantic, many retired now but still quite active and they've been members of genealogical societies for years and give talks, run workshops, etc, apparently. As well, the US contingent formed a trust or something, back in the 1920's, to pay professional genealogists in the UK to work on filling the gaps in the family history.

I'd been unaware of the existence of many of these people for most of my life and had no idea about the US branches (two separate ones and extensive). A lovely retired uni professor family-member from the US was put in touch with me a couple of years ago and he told me he'd visited the UK three times, specifically to translate very old family documents which are held somewhere and written in Latin. There were Wills and documents relating to lands and property, etc. going back to the 1700s, and he sent copies to me, plus photos and Bible and diary entries from the 1800s, written by family who'd moved from the UK to the US.

There's an old table in the possession of UK family members apparently, which was passed down through the generations like a lot of old furniture. As it was almost always covered by table-cloths, no-one paid it that much attention. It was just there. Then, after a death in the family, one of the cousins said yes, they'd have the table, seeing no-one else wanted it, as it was oak and would suit their place. While it was being restored, a secret drawer was discovered underneath and inside were journals written close to 200 years ago by a family member. They'd been sitting there, all those years. The table weighs a ton, and that's the reason supposed for its rarely being moved or investigated. The house was passed down through the family and the furniture had always stayed in it. So that was another source of information and ended up being the subject of an historical-society series of talks given by another cousin. I think a booklet about the journals was produced, also, but I haven't a copy yet (which reminds me to start nagging the cousins).

Then, a few years ago, my father's elder brother died at an advanced age and when his safe was investigated by my cousins, they found what they described as a literal treasure trove of documents, old duguerotypes (sp?) [tiny photos created via an old photographic process] and all sorts of unsuspected stuff which they're still sorting and copying. My dad's side were undertakers, and this is supposed as the reason nothing was thrown away or lost .. it was just stuck in the safe with the rest. And according to the UK cousins, the family have always been 'hoarders' of documents.

Funny thing is, my parents pretty much cut themselves off from the UK after they arrived in Australia. I think that's how they coped with the separation and distance. They just threw themselves into the 'now'. And there were a couple of family feuds between them and the UK. It was like the Berlin Wall and stayed that way for decades. No communication either way in all that time. I think I just decided I didn't have a family or if I did, they wouldn't want to know me. When I grew up, I used to hear people talking about researching their family history, and I always believed I didn't have one.

Finally, the UK cousins decided the feud wasn't our generation's doing, so they got in touch with me and I became the beneficiary of their decades of genealogical research. Famine to a feast, really. I'm still astonished by the volume of stuff I now have, going in all directions. The American stuff alone in relation to one branch of the family who moved there, is like a wild-west movie. In fact, it's featured quite extensively in a book about early Nebraska.

The original Nebraska pioneer family members escaped the Avenging Angels (the Utah mafia hit-men) after arriving from the UK, by travelling across the desert by wagon. They narrowly escaped a murderous band and on the journey, picked up a wealthy woman fleeing on foot from her Utahn big-shot husband and saved her from certain death. She'd had to leave all her children behind. Made their way to Nebraska and built a homestead. Pioneered the growing of produce when everyone else's crops had failed, season after season. Set up a laboratory and conducted research and tests in between running a farm and coping with one disaster after another. Train-loads of people visited the farm, leading to an invitation by the US government to detail the methods so they could be used to successfully establish crops in the arid west. Were alerted to an Indian war party headed their way. Escaped in wagons to the fort. Then realised that in their panic they'd left one of their dozen children asleep in a crib in the barn. So the ancestor rode back into the teeth of the war-party on horse-back, rescued his child. He would have been well into his 40s or 50s at the time, I suppose.

Then, to avoid being conscripted into the US army during the war there, the family up and left their farm in Nebraska, travelled up into Canada to evade detection. Sailed back home to the UK. Were ridiculed by people of their own village because of their Wild West attire and speech patterns (my father had hesitantly told me a little of this, once or twice ..it pained him) so after having another child, they again set sail for the US. Got back to their homestead in Nebraska to discover other people had claimed it and done well from the sale of their crops. It was coming winter, so the family moved into a deserted log cabin (earliest log cabin in Nebraska, apparently, on the historic list) that had belonged to a man who'd been killed by the Indians. Started from scratch and eventually built one of the famous Nebraskan 'octagonal houses' for themselves. One son was a sheriff for some years. The original old couple died at an advanced age and it was remarked they retained good humour and very clear memories to the end. They had something like a couple of dozen children and only lost two, I think .. one in the UK and one in the US. She (the original US matriarch) was a tiny little woman, only about five feet. She led teams of oxen through deep rivers and rapids with her children in the wagon behind, as they made their way West. She must have been pregnant virtually all the time. They won and they lost, over the years. Never easy for them or their children.

Her husband was quite a bit older, himself from a UK family of 21 or 22 children. In a studio portrait of them taken when she would have been about 40 or 50, he has a full white beard. She's tiny and neat .. but has hands like a man from all the work. Makes you realise how pampered we are. Funny thing, in the last photo taken of her before she died, when she was around 80, she looks healthier and younger facially (looks very intelligent, to me) than she did 30 or 40 years before. Gee they bred them tough back then.

And that's just one tiny part of the family history I didn't know I had until a few years ago. To be honest, I do feel very unworthy and inadequate in comparison to those who came before me .. like a midget.

It's my belief that the vast majority of people would discover they have equally interesting and industrious ancestors behind them, if they were able to research their family's history.

Yes,

I have traced my families back to the 1600's, I have two Ancestry sites, one blanket and one for Y chromo only and a Genes Reunited one for what I want to share in public.

I have cousins all over New Zealand and Oz and I would appear to be a part of the James project but I have not as yet submitted my dna to confirm if I am from Viking or Roman stock.

I find it fascinating, especially all of the skeletons I have discovered:smile:

Yes,

I have traced my families back to the 1600's, I have two Ancestry sites, one blanket and one for Y chromo only and a Genes Reunited one for what I want to share in public.

I have cousins all over New Zealand and Oz and I would appear to be a part of the James project but I have not as yet submitted my dna to confirm if I am from Viking or Roman stock.

I find it fascinating, especially all of the skeletons I have discovered:smile:

Lol. You're like one of my UK cousins .. he enjoys the skeletons, too. When he was out here a while ago on a visit, he took great delight in dropping skeleton stories into dinner conversations, keeping his face deadpan and waiting for a reaction. But then, he's used to family history and knows it all backwards, so I guess the initial shock of some of the skeleton stories has worn off with him.

With me, on the other hand, it's all pretty new. And I love all the ancestors, regardless.

People were different 'back then' with regard to family shame. Some of them would literally die before 'airing their laundry in public', as is quite common on genealogy sites online, these days.

So, as my ancestors were from 'back then' and as their attitudes to matters private were completely different to today, I honour their feelings and believe they're entitled to their privacy. They could have no way of knowing that in hundreds of years into the future, dozens or hundreds of their descendants would be discussing their private affairs and sharing them online for all the world to see. They'd be mortified to know that even one person might learn of something they thought they'd taken to the grave with them. In accordance with that, I never 'probe' deeper if I come across something that I suspect no-one was intended to see.

Speaking of ancestors, I'm reminded now of an experience I had close to 40 years ago. It's still vivid. I'd been reading a letter and leaned back, just thinking and staring at some dust-motes in a ray of sunshine. I'm not sure what happened next, but I found myself seeing a group of strangers, just their heads and necks. They were all ages, male and female, several nationalities, some wearing headgear, some dark-skinned, some arabic looking and at least one American Indian. A very varied group with each in lifelike detail .. down to the smallest detail, like the fraying on some rag that one of them had wrapped around his head.

Then, next, the vision changed to a sort of conveyor belt in a U-shape. On the conveyor were the faces again, starting very small down at the end of the straight section of the U. As they came towards me and towards the curved part of the U, they grew larger. It was in perfectly realistic perspective.

There were dozens of them. And when each face reached the centre of the curved part of the U, it paused for a second or two in front of me, in close-up, before moving away back along the other straight arm of the U. They moved from the right arm of the U to the left arm.

The faces were 'living', insofar as their eyes were shining moistly and I could tell they were 'alive'. They didn't speak or otherwise acknowledge me or move their faces .. just looked straight ahead in my direction, although not necessarily at me.

It went on for what seemed like quite a while. I had a very close-up look at many of the people on the conveyor belt. They all appeared as if they had lived/were living a hard life. Most of them did not look clean in the way people are today. They definitely appeared as if they were from an earlier, harsher time, even the young ones looked hard-worked. Some had no teeth at all, while others had some missing. Most of them had lined complexions.

Then, it was over and I was back to being in the room, with everything looking perfectly normal. It was all completely spontaneous, i.e., I'd done nothing, read nothing, thought of nothing (or imbibed nothing) that might have prompted the vision.

I've had a number of spontaneous psychic experiences, but this was the only one like the one I've described.

At the time, I didn't know what had happened, or why. I've always suspected that for some reason I was provided an introduction to those who must have been my ancestors, although it sounds very conceited to suggest such an elaborate experience would be staged for my benefit. Yet what other explanation is there ?

Quite a privilege, I can tell you. Unforgettable experience and very humbling, seeing all those people like that.

Guest earlswood
'Undesirables?' for taking a loaf of bread to feed a starving family, stealing from a rabbit warren or for supporting Irish independence?! And the wardens, guards, wives and children don't count? Or the fact that Australia's population has quadrupled since the end of World War 1, when convicts were no longer being sent over? They stopped sending them over in 1868!

And these are your exact words - Australian in general women are bigger than British women….taller but also fatter….they are in a word quite thick to be honest and not street-wise at all which after decades of going out and marrying the most ignorant and uncouth race of men in the world you cant blame them - I'm sorry, but since when did Northbridge become a snapshot of the state of the entire Australian population?

Yep. thats how I found most Aussie women...:yes:

and men.

you searched again through all my posts.......you are getting a bit scary to be honest.

And these are your exact words - Australian in general women are bigger than British women….taller but also fatter….they are in a word quite thick to be honest and not street-wise at all which after decades of going out and marrying the most ignorant and uncouth race of men in the world you cant blame them - I'm sorry, but since when did Northbridge become a snapshot of the state of the entire Australian population?

and men.

So, from that little piece of ?wisdom? I take it that I can say, as I have been to Bradford, that most of Europe's women, "are bigger than British women….taller but also fatter….they are in a word quite thick to be honest and not street-wise at all which after decades of going out

And men"

Oh dear!!! I know that you haven't much between the ears; you know that you haven't much between the ears....But don't let all the readers know that, too.:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

and men.

So, from that little piece of ?wisdom? I take it that I can say, as I have been to Bradford, that most of Europe's women, "are bigger than British women….taller but also fatter….they are in a word quite thick to be honest and not street-wise at all which after decades of going out

And men"

Oh dear!!! I know that you haven't much between the ears; you know that you haven't much between the ears....But don't let all the readers know that, too.:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

Ah, but were you in Bradford longer than two weeks?

Guest smc01

and men.

you searched again through all my posts.......you are getting a bit scary to be honest.

As I said, I didn't know Northbridge was a snapshot of the state of the entire Australian population.

The size of Northbridge is approximately 1 km². By 2006 the population was 678

So, in a country that has a population of 21 million and a size of 7,617,930 SQ KM, you think you can pass judgment on 'most' Aussie men and women? :wacko:

And no, don't flatter yourself, when you initially wrote that I responded, so I looked through my own posts, not yours.

As I said, I didn't know Northbridge was a snapshot of the state of the entire Australian population.

The size of Northbridge is approximately 1 km². By 2006 the population was 678

Has that population ever changed in say the last 5 years I wonder?

Guest smc01
Has that population ever changed in say the last 5 years I wonder?

Probably not, they're most likely dying at the same rate of births - what, with all the crime and murders there and such......:laugh:

Probably not, they're most likely dying at the same rate of births - what, with all the crime and murders there and such......:laugh:

Ah, so it's doubtful someone would want to migrate there?

Archived