Aztecs

:jiggy:

to name a few.

May I add Australia...:cool:

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest earlswood
Earlswood,ive worked out who you are,i think you are Stewart Maconi as you seen to have an opinion on everything....lolol

Might be.....:rolleyes:

Guest TheArmChairDetective
Earlswood,ive worked out who you are,i think you are Stewart Maconi as you seen to have an opinion on everything....lolol

Mrs Stewart Maconi !

Coming back to the UK and that bad...listining to radio 4 today and Britain is the worlds favourite place according to a poll done last month.:cute:dont know why they think Britain is a Country though.

This one is from 2006

POLLSTERS RECKON that there's no better "brand" than Britain when it comes to being a country.

Here's the top ten:

1. UK

2. Switzerland

3. Canada

4. Italy

5. Sweden

6. Germany

7. Japan

8. France

9. Australia

10. United States

Britain is world's favourite country, say pollsters - The Inquirer

Why oh why do you do it. What motivates you to post threads like this one. You obviously had a bad experience in OZ and thats sad. But do you really think that people who use this forum for help and advice in their quest to emigrate want to see your mad rantings and bull**** surveys that are not relevant anyway. You had your time in OZ and it did not work so why do you spend your life trying to put others off before they have even begun? I thought you were quite funny when i first came on pio but now i think you must be really quite sad.

. You had your time in OZ

I don't believe earlsy has even been in Oz for longer than a holiday.

Matter of fact I don't even think she's been out side of Yorkshire for more than two weeks!

Guest thedenster
ohhhhh, so you only think Britain is a Country....you silly girl..:jiggy:

I have read some of earlswoods' posts on this site and the only thing which is obvious is that he quite clearly isn't as intelligent as he tries to make out!

Just an observation, no offence.

I have read some of earlswoods' posts on this site and the only thing which is obvious is that he quite clearly isn't as intelligent as she tries to make out!

Non taken:smile:

Guest earlswood
Why oh why do you do it. What motivates you to post threads like this one. You obviously had a bad experience in OZ and thats sad. But do you really think that people who use this forum for help and advice in their quest to emigrate want to see your mad rantings and bull**** surveys that are not relevant anyway. You had your time in OZ and it did not work so why do you spend your life trying to put others off before they have even begun? I thought you were quite funny when i first came on pio but now i think you must be really quite sad.

Can I suggest you look what forum you are in fool:skeptical: this is the "going back to the UK forum" and is probably a nice thread for people coming back to the UK as there is enough threads slagging the UK down I thought I would post something positive about the UK...If thats all right by you of course.

Guest earlswood
I have read some of earlswoods' posts on this site and the only thing which is obvious is that he quite clearly isn't as intelligent as he tries to make out!

Well may I suggest you dont read them any more :yes:

Bob,,,thats done in Australia itself by the self-promoting tourist board and is a poll done with only Aussies:biglaugh: mine is a world-wide poll.

Cheers Earl.

Here you go, mate:

http://www.travelbite.co.uk/destinations/australasia/australia-voted-best-country-$15096337.htm

Australia voted favourite country to live in

Countries - As featured in The Readers' Travel Awards 2007

Cheers, Bobj.

Can I suggest you look what forum you are in fool:skeptical: this is the "going back to the UK forum" and is probably a nice thread for people coming back to the UK as there is enough threads slagging the UK down I thought I would post something positive about the UK...If thats all right by you of course.

I do believe I have caught a tiddler!

Guest earlswood
I do believe I have caught a tiddler!

Sorry,,,cast again...your post was to hot-headed to be bait...try again..:tongue:

Sorry,,,cast again...your post was to hot-headed to be bait...try again..:tongue:

Not hotheaded, like I said just curious to know what motivates you to carry on posting on pio, and dont give that old chestnut about helping others!:unsure:

Guest earlswood
Not hotheaded, like I said just curious to know what motivates you to carry on posting on pio, and dont give that old chestnut about helping others!:unsure:

Giving both angles...good and bad....my posts have helped loads settle in Australia after they took of the rose specs....look at my posts, I never ever said I hate Oz just point out when someone gos on about why they are leaving the UK that the same **** is in Oz.

Giving both angles...good and bad....my posts have helped loads settle in Australia after they took of the rose specs....look at my posts, I never ever said I hate Oz just point out when someone gos on about why they are leaving the UK that the same **** is in Oz.

What about when you called Australia a hellhole?:unsure:

Not hotheaded, like I said just curious to know what motivates you :unsure:

Some heavy medication ?

Guest treesea
Britain is not a country. Great Britain is an island made up of England, Scotland and Wales. The United Kingdom consists of Great Britain & northern Ireland.:biglaugh:

you are a funny lad.

The Channel Islands, U.K. will be less than thrilled by this definition. I'm pretty sure neither Jersey nor Guernsey consider themselves quite in the same category as Skye or the Isle of Wight.

Guest Bexta

Did anyone else noice this little titbit in the article...

"According to this assessment, UK citizens are considered to be the most polite, most boring and best educated"

Earlsy, you must be losing your touch... surely you would never wittingly lead us to a article that denegrates the Brits in any way, shape or form?!

MOST BORING?!

Ha!

Nuff said.

:wink:

Oh and yes, I did notice the 'most polite' comment too, but you already knew tha did't ya Earls? Cup of tea, sir?

Whilst it's true I've only been a member of PIO for a short while, I've nevertheless been reading the threads for ages and I think that's true of thousands of silent readers out there. Not everyone joins or posts. But they're out there and they have formed opinions based on what they've read.

So, whilst it may be considered that as a new member, my opinion has less validity than those with hundreds of posts to their credit, I would like to say that I enjoy Earlswood's contributions and admire his independence of mind and patience with those who seem to regard him as a 'danger' to the Ozzie Recruitment Agenda.

What I've noted particularly (and no offence is intended, because it's a very human response from those involved) is that those with their hearts set on a new Ozzie life quite often become immediately defensive and hostile towards those who paint a less than perfect picture of Oz. It's tantamount to saying: ' Hey .. don't you dare tell me anything I don't want to hear '. Again, it's understandable and human. But it does not mean that the person painting a less than perfect picture of Oz is 'wrong' or to be ridiculed or discredited. What it means is that each individual has to take responsibility for their own life and decisions, instead of demanding that others tell them what they want to hear.

Yes, emigrating is an often arduous and expensive (and nerve wracking) business. Those in the process or those even considering it, are already suffering feelings of doubt, anxiety, fear and sense of loss and confusion. All the time, they're having to boost their confidence in their decision. People around them may be putting pressure on them not to leave. Very often, it's a spouse or partner who isn't convinced they want to move to Australia. So, the stresses are considerable. And the last thing people under such stresses want to hear is that they might be making a mistake. So they build a wall around themselves to block out their own doubts. And anyone who looks like poking a hole in that wall is considered the 'enemy'.

But to the casual observer, Earlswood is not an 'enemy' of Australia or intended migrants. He's simply expressing his opinion .. like everyone else here.

Those who attack and attempt to discredit Earlswood are thus engaging in the ancient game of ' kill the messenger '.

Only those who are themselves undecided and who have doubts they're pushing aside, would regard Earlswood as a 'threat' to their dream of moving to Oz.

Earlswood has no power. He's not going to prevent anyone from moving to Oz !

All he's doing is stating his individual viewpoint.

There are loads of posts on various expat fora by those who tried Oz and didn't find it to their liking. Just as there are loads who are enjoying Ozzie life to the full.

We don't all choose the same clothing or hair styles. We don't all like the same colours on our walls. We don't all choose to holiday or live in the same place. Stands to reason not everyone will or will not like Oz.

But if you've made the decision to emigrate to Australia, how and why could Earlswood affect that ? And as it's clear the decision to emigrate lies with the individual, why would people undertake the attempt to ridicule and discredit Earlswood ? Why not attempt to ridicule all those other thousands of people in this and other fora who also prefer the UK to Oz ?

You go, you try it. Until you have, you're defending a decision .. not a reality.

When you've tried it, you post your opinions, as does Earlswood.

If the opinion of someone in a forum has the power to make you doubt the wisdom of emigrating to Australia .. then your decision sits on a very unstable foundation and Earslwood has nothing at all to do with that.

When you've tried it, you post your opinions, as does Earlswood.

I support your right to defend Earlswood.

BUT

I for one will only look on her opinions in a different light once she's actually emigrated to Australia.

Guest smc01

Ok, there are loads on here who express their opinions on the downsides of Aus and aren't jumped on at all, because they do so in a manner that does not make sweeping statements, discredit the nation at any chance and call it and its people derogative names, put down any positive, and use their knowledge of one little town for a short while a couple of years ago as an indication on the state of the entire country. If it is said one more time 'Just trying to help people' I'll scream because that's a crock and everyone knows it. It is not trying to help people, it is being a sad, bitter & twisted indivdual who has to rain on everyone's parade and can't just accept it wasn't for them and move on with life.

Ok, there are loads on here who express their opinions on the downsides of Aus and aren't jumped on at all, because they do so in a manner that does not make sweeping statements, discredit the nation at any chance and call it and its people derogative names, put down any positive, and use their knowledge of one little town for a short while a couple of years ago as an indication on the state of the entire country. If it is said one more time 'Just trying to help people' I'll scream because that's a crock and everyone knows it. It is not trying to help people, it is being a sad, bitter & twisted indivdual who has to rain on everyone's parade and can't just accept it wasn't for them and move on with life.

I think your last sentence hits the nail on the head. What do you think ?

The 'rain on everyone's parade' comment.

And it's usually those who have not yet emigrated to Oz who most object to Earlswood, have you noticed ?

All of which was covered in my above post .. the ' don't you dare tell me anything I don't want to know ' attitude.

Which compels me to suggest, once again, that anyone who feels 'threatened' by Earlswood, has not based their decision to move to Oz on strong foundations. If they had, Earlswood's posts wouldn't bother them and certainly wouldn't motivate them to discredit Earlswood.

Look, if you are sure Oz is for you and if you are sure you are making the right decision, then Earlswood's posts wouldn't affect you one way or the other, would they ?

After all, it's your life, your decision and you (and not Earlswood or anyone else) will lose or benefit from your decision.

Lots of people have advised me not to read a particular book or see a particular movie, claiming it was 'no good' or 'awful'. But, I made my own decisions. Sometimes I discovered those other people were correct. And sometimes they were not. But it has never mattered to me, either way. It's my time, my money.

But, until I'd read the book or watched the movie for myself, I would have been a bit silly to argue with those who'd already done so, just because I wanted the book or movie to be the way I envisaged it.

It comes down to personal responsibility. No-one owes it to us to tell us only what we want to hear. If we don't like what they have to say, then it's up to us to deal with why we don't like what they have to say .. or ignore it until we've found out the facts for ourselves.

I mean, who knows what your opinion of Australia will be, ten years down the line ?

But it won't matter to anyone apart from yourself. Even if you discover you hate the place, it won't stop thousands of others from emigrating.

Archived