Britain world's favourite country

Guest earlswood

Guest earlswood
Whilst it's true I've only been a member of PIO for a short while, I've nevertheless been reading the threads for ages and I think that's true of thousands of silent readers out there. Not everyone joins or posts. But they're out there and they have formed opinions based on what they've read.

So, whilst it may be considered that as a new member, my opinion has less validity than those with hundreds of posts to their credit, I would like to say that I enjoy Earlswood's contributions and admire his independence of mind and patience with those who seem to regard him as a 'danger' to the Ozzie Recruitment Agenda.

What I've noted particularly (and no offence is intended, because it's a very human response from those involved) is that those with their hearts set on a new Ozzie life quite often become immediately defensive and hostile towards those who paint a less than perfect picture of Oz. It's tantamount to saying: ' Hey .. don't you dare tell me anything I don't want to hear '. Again, it's understandable and human. But it does not mean that the person painting a less than perfect picture of Oz is 'wrong' or to be ridiculed or discredited. What it means is that each individual has to take responsibility for their own life and decisions, instead of demanding that others tell them what they want to hear.

Yes, emigrating is an often arduous and expensive (and nerve wracking) business. Those in the process or those even considering it, are already suffering feelings of doubt, anxiety, fear and sense of loss and confusion. All the time, they're having to boost their confidence in their decision. People around them may be putting pressure on them not to leave. Very often, it's a spouse or partner who isn't convinced they want to move to Australia. So, the stresses are considerable. And the last thing people under such stresses want to hear is that they might be making a mistake. So they build a wall around themselves to block out their own doubts. And anyone who looks like poking a hole in that wall is considered the 'enemy'.

But to the casual observer, Earlswood is not an 'enemy' of Australia or intended migrants. He's simply expressing his opinion .. like everyone else here.

Those who attack and attempt to discredit Earlswood are thus engaging in the ancient game of ' kill the messenger '.

Only those who are themselves undecided and who have doubts they're pushing aside, would regard Earlswood as a 'threat' to their dream of moving to Oz.

Earlswood has no power. He's not going to prevent anyone from moving to Oz !

All he's doing is stating his individual viewpoint.

There are loads of posts on various expat fora by those who tried Oz and didn't find it to their liking. Just as there are loads who are enjoying Ozzie life to the full.

We don't all choose the same clothing or hair styles. We don't all like the same colours on our walls. We don't all choose to holiday or live in the same place. Stands to reason not everyone will or will not like Oz.

But if you've made the decision to emigrate to Australia, how and why could Earlswood affect that ? And as it's clear the decision to emigrate lies with the individual, why would people undertake the attempt to ridicule and discredit Earlswood ? Why not attempt to ridicule all those other thousands of people in this and other fora who also prefer the UK to Oz ?

You go, you try it. Until you have, you're defending a decision .. not a reality.

When you've tried it, you post your opinions, as does Earlswood.

If the opinion of someone in a forum has the power to make you doubt the wisdom of emigrating to Australia .. then your decision sits on a very unstable foundation and Earslwood has nothing at all to do with that.

what a great post...I am touched..:notworthy:

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
what a great post...I am touched..:notworthy:

Earlswood, having not become involved in the many posts which seem to revolve around you, I probably see it from a more 'detached' perspective. And what I see is you being patriotic regarding the UK, based on your experiences of elsewhere and the UK.

Don't imagine anyone would object to a UK resident being patriotic ? Makes a nice change, actually.

Nor do I feel you need to apologise for drawing attention to what you consider to be things in favour of the UK. And if, like a proud parent, you sometimes gild the lily a little bit ... well, people have done far worse in life.

But I'll tell you what this situation does bring to mind --- and that's the overwhelming tendency of Australians to shout the praises of their nation, often far more loudly than you do with regard to UK.

Aussies don't take kindly to criticism -- not even to implied or imagined criticism.

Which is their prerogative, of course.

And Aussies are particularly touchy when immigrants criticise Oz, as I'm sure most Aussies will agree.

So the situation in Oz is one of .. if you're a migrant, you'd better keep your opinions to yourself, unless they're over the top complimentary. Otherwise, Aussies are quick to fling the 'whinging Pom' accusation/term of affection.

So, whilst your love of and pride in Britain annoys some in the forum ... I hope they're careful never to criticise Oz or comment about Aussies' pride in Oz, after they emigrate ... or they'll find themselves ostracised in the speed of light.

Guest treesea
Earlswood, having not become involved in the many posts which seem to revolve around you, I probably see it from a more 'detached' perspective. And what I see is you being patriotic regarding the UK, based on your experiences of elsewhere and the UK.

Don't imagine anyone would object to a UK resident being patriotic ? Makes a nice change, actually.

Nor do I feel you need to apologise for drawing attention to what you consider to be things in favour of the UK. And if, like a proud parent, you sometimes gild the lily a little bit ... well, people have done far worse in life.

But I'll tell you what this situation does bring to mind --- and that's the overwhelming tendency of Australians to shout the praises of their nation, often far more loudly than you do with regard to UK.

Aussies don't take kindly to criticism -- not even to implied or imagined criticism.

And Aussies are particularly touchy when immigrants criticise Oz, as I'm sure most Aussies will agree.

So the situation in Oz is one of .. if you're a migrant, you'd better keep your opinions to yourself, unless they're over the top complimentary. Otherwise, Aussies are quick to fling the 'whinging Pom' accusation/term of affection.

So, whilst your love of and pride in Britain annoys some in the forum ... I hope they're careful never to criticise Oz or comment about Aussies' pride in Oz, after they emigrate ... or they'll find themselves ostracised in the speed of light.

When I lived in Australia, I didn't really give a toss if people criticised or complained about Australia, - as long as I liked it, who cared how they felt. After all, it's not like there's an iron curtain. Anyone who wants to is free to leave, aren't they? Back here in the UK, I notice people are not really into being "British" as such, but are tuned into being proud of their country of origin.

You would think migrants in general, given they are choosing a country to live in rather than putting up with wherever they first landed when they came to this planet, would be doubly proud of their choice. But not so. Over here migrants seem to whinge non stop about Britain - the food is cr*p, the weather is terrible, the people are unfriendly, a bit of snow and the whole country closes down, on and on and on. Nowadays I say things like "So, if you hate it so much, why are you still here?" or "The door's open. Why not just go back home?"

One thing I have noticed over here recently is work visas are not being renewed. We have met a few Yanks recently just in the course of our business who are having to up sticks and go home, some of them after being here a decade.

Guest TheArmChairDetective
I think your last sentence hits the nail on the head. What do you think ?

The 'rain on everyone's parade' comment.

And it's usually those who have not yet emigrated to Oz who most object to Earlswood, have you noticed ?

I think you should re read smc's words

"It is not trying to help people, it is being a sad, bitter & twisted individual who has to rain on everyone's parade and can't just accept it wasn't for them and move on with life."

I don't think she was agreeing with you opinion of Earlswood.

And it's usually those who have not yet emigrated to Oz who most object to Earlswood, have you noticed ?

I've noticed it's about a 50/50 spread.

Guest 0405delboy
I think you should re read smc's words

"It is not trying to help people, it is being a sad, bitter & twisted individual who has to rain on everyone's parade and can't just accept it wasn't for them and move on with life."

I don't think she was agreeing with you opinion of Earlswood.

I've noticed it's about a 50/50 spread.

More a moderator, youre not very moderate! :policeman::twitcy:

I have to agree with a lot of points from Earlswood and other posters who are giving the UK the thumbs up in comparison.

Last yr prior to moving to Australia, I used to be a casual observer of PIO before joining later on, I too used to view posts regarding the UK as a better place than Aus and think to myself that it can't be true, Australia has to be better than this place. I think a lot of it was down to the fact that I wanted Aus to be better than the UK and didnt want to hear otherwise.

In my own opinion I believe that if people emigrating have convinced themselves Australia will be better than the UK then after the honeymoon period people may be in for a shock as I was.

For a couple of months after landing I thought I had made the right choice as I couldnt find anything to fault it on. Then after settling down to family life the cracks began to appear, education for my kids way behind the UK (2-3yrs behind for my eldest who is 12), costly medical services, high tax, much longer hrs at work, them & us segregation at work from some, day to day living more expensive, I could go on....

Please dont get me wrong, there are a lot of good points too such as, weather, laid back lifestyle & beautiful beaches. There just doesnt seem to be as many postives to out weigh the negatives.

Like I have already said these are my personal opinions and nobody has to agree with them, but by the same token just because somebody has formed an opinon doesn't mean they are wrong - everybody sees things differently& everybodies circumstances are different.

I do agree with other posters though who state you cannot give an opinion on Aus until you have lived and worked there yourself, but most people convince themselves(me included at the time) its the right thing to do and the outcome will be borne from the individuals circumstances when living here.:smile:

One thing it has taught me by being here is that if I do return to the UK later this year I don't think I will be as harsh with it as I was prior to moving because at the time I thought Australia was going to be better:wink:.

Ste

Burnett you do post some very good points, some im not too sure of though

No, its quite a mixture of Oz and Uk based members who 'querey' his posts, if anything i would say more Oz(especially Perth based)

Look, if you are sure Oz is for you and if you are sure you are making the right decision, then Earlswood's posts wouldn't affect you one way or the other, would they ?

Depends on the individual, especially when you find out he isnt even in Perth!

After all, it's your life, your decision and you (and not Earlswood or anyone else) will lose or benefit from your decision.

Correct

But, until I'd read the book or watched the movie for myself, I would have been a bit silly to argue with those who'd already done so, just because I wanted the book or movie to be the way I envisaged it.

But if you are here and choose to disagree because you are enjoying life, does that give 'the returners' the right to almost accuse you of lying? Especially when the question ''has Earls EVER lived in Perth'' seems to go unanswered, lets face it he only admitted he was actually in the UK when his IP address caught him out,lol.

It comes down to personal responsibility. No-one owes it to us to tell us only what we want to hear. If we don't like what they have to say, then it's up to us to deal with why we don't like what they have to say .. or ignore it until we've found out the facts for ourselves.

Exactly , there is no need to turn every thread into an argument because you dont agree, we are all entitled to a point of view, thats what a forum is. Some members however do just post to create an argument, these are classed as forum trolls and we ask you do not feed them by replying.

I mean, who knows what your opinion of Australia will be, ten years down the line ?

Does anyone know what will happen 10yrs down the line ? 10yrs ago in the Uk life was pretty good for us personally,if someone had mentioned us moving away then, even i would have laughed it off.

I hope they're careful never to criticise Oz or comment about Aussies' pride in Oz, after they emigrate ... or they'll find themselves ostracised in the speed of light.

Not neccesarily,- the aussies are far from perfect BUT they do unite when the need arises and they do support their country, i for one will be proud to become part of this country, shame some people in the Uk don't take a leaf out of the aussies book, having pride in your country is a great thing but lets face it ,its going down the pan, you cant even fly the union jack without some do gooder complaining its racist. Imagine trying to ban the aussie flag here !! The Uk will always be my home,where i was born and bred and taught right from wrong but am i proud of what it has become,,???????

Guest 0405delboy
Burnett you do post some very good points, some im not too sure of though

You werent sure of any of them by the looks of it! Is it really necessary to dissect an entire post? :shocked:

Having lived in the UK for some time and having returned recently from a holilday, I too was quite sad to hear many people over there, including taxi drivers, shop keepers, relatives and even strangers in pubs saying how much the UK was going down the pan etc. I also met some patriotic Brits, and that was a nice thing to hear. I don't get myself into 'this is better than that' type arguments, so will try and talk to people in a balanced sort of way. (Of course if we are talking about the cricket I am one-eyed and may occasionally feel more argumentative on these occasions). I was thinking about the UK yesterday though, as I was reading some letters sent by my Dad to Mum in 1943 while they had only been going out for about 6 weeks and Dad was sent off on war duties. He spoke not so much worrying if his ship was going to be bombed, but worrying what dire danger the UK was in, and whether a bomb would fall on Glasgow and mum and kill her while he was away. He talks about the war years, and the devastation it wrought on Britain, wondering if there would be anything left by the time the damn war was finished. He later told stories about peacetime and how happy the Brits were that it was finally over. My point is this: it is a reminder to a younger generation like us that the UK has seen darker days than the financial crisis which has hit now. Maybe it is a great time to stand up, be patriotic and fly the flag for Britain, just as our mums/dads/grandparents did over 60 years ago? Just a thought, it can't hurt though can it?

The trouble is Burnett, most people who have an opinion on oz or the uk give that opinion wether good or bad which is more than helpful to those who are thinking of going, and of course they have every right to do so. However in Earlswoods case he has been posting day after day for years obviously on a quest to p**s off as many people as possible. He is not doing it to as he says to help potential migrants but purley as he has nothing better to do, which really is quite sad!:confused:

Maybe it is a great time to stand up, be patriotic and fly the flag for Britain, just as our mums/dads/grandparents did over 60 years ago? Just a thought, it can't hurt though can it?

If only it was like the olden days maybe half of us would still be there, standing proud for our country,willing to give our all unfortunately the PC brigade wrecked any chance of things returning to how they used to be in the UK.

Banning Ba Ba Black sheep and frowning upon the flying of the union jack ,trying to take the Pegasus emblem away from the Paratroopers that stood and fought for our country these are just the tip of the ice berg but its things like this that unforthunately start to wear abit thin after a while and do play a part of the reasons many of us choose to jump ship.

Cal x

Guest earlswood
If only it was like the olden days maybe half of us would still be there, standing proud for our country,willing to give our all unfortunately the PC brigade wrecked any chance of things returning to how they used to be in the UK.

Banning Ba Ba Black sheep and frowning upon the flying of the union jack ,trying to take the Pegasus emblem away from the Paratroopers that stood and fought for our country these are just the tip of the ice berg but its things like this that unforthunately start to wear abit thin after a while and do play a part of the reasons many of us choose to jump ship.

Cal x

True...but its not just the UK...Australia was very politically correct and some of the things they did was laughable...I am afraid it is in most civilised Countries now.

Guest TheArmChairDetective
The trouble is Burnett, most people who have an opinion on oz or the uk give that opinion wether good or bad which is more than helpful to those who are thinking of going, and of course they have every right to do so. However in Earlswoods case he has been posting day after day for years obviously on a quest to p**s off as many people as possible. He is not doing it to as he says to help potential migrants but purley as he has nothing better to do, which really is quite sad!:confused:

May I respectfully point out that you left the words

", from the UK, "

between the words years and obviously.

off thread a small one, the aca reporting on the tax hanout and stated that buyin slectric goods etc would go into the pockets of foreign manufacturers. Well where in the hell can you find summat not made in China , I have a game when dragged reluctantly roiund the shops ,find summat not made in China after a long and fruitless task found a shirt made in India not oz

If you spend your stimulus handout on say a holiday rather than something not made in Australia, you are stimulating the hospitality/travel industry within Australia, and that is a good start.

They are suffering - go and eat in a restaurant/book a weekend away in a resort. After the bushfires, the restaurants/cafes etc in outer Melbourne were telling everyone to come up on the long weekend just gone and have a meal out etc. I did and enjoyed it, rather than buy a pair of shoes made overseas.

Guest smc01
I think your last sentence hits the nail on the head. What do you think ?

The 'rain on everyone's parade' comment.

All of which was covered in my above post .. the ' don't you dare tell me anything I don't want to know ' attitude.

Which compels me to suggest, once again, that anyone who feels 'threatened' by Earlswood, has not based their decision to move to Oz on strong foundations. If they had, Earlswood's posts wouldn't bother them and certainly wouldn't motivate them to discredit Earlswood.

Look, if you are sure Oz is for you and if you are sure you are making the right decision, then Earlswood's posts wouldn't affect you one way or the other, would they ?

After all, it's your life, your decision and you (and not Earlswood or anyone else) will lose or benefit from your decision.

Lots of people have advised me not to read a particular book or see a particular movie, claiming it was 'no good' or 'awful'. But, I made my own decisions. Sometimes I discovered those other people were correct. And sometimes they were not. But it has never mattered to me, either way. It's my time, my money.

But, until I'd read the book or watched the movie for myself, I would have been a bit silly to argue with those who'd already done so, just because I wanted the book or movie to be the way I envisaged it.

It comes down to personal responsibility. No-one owes it to us to tell us only what we want to hear. If we don't like what they have to say, then it's up to us to deal with why we don't like what they have to say .. or ignore it until we've found out the facts for ourselves.

I mean, who knows what your opinion of Australia will be, ten years down the line ?

But it won't matter to anyone apart from yourself. Even if you discover you hate the place, it won't stop thousands of others from emigrating.

Ok, I wasn't agreeing with you at all.

I lived in Aus for 27 years and have a fair idea of both the positives and negatives of the place.

I for one have never said that Australia is way better than the Uk and the UK is a hellhole etc, I love both places - there are good and bad points, and they wouldn't be such popular destinations for immigrants if that wasn't the case.

The point I was trying to make was that there are others on here who talk about things that are disliked in Aus and say so in a way that is fair, just, and their own personal opinion.

He who shall not be named, however, does it in a spiteful, childish way, makes massive generalisations and thinks he knows all about a country when he (supposedly) only lived in one small town for a short period.

If I lived in say, Liverpool for a couple of months and had a bad experience and went back to Aus, and then badmouthed the entire UK and said that 'all the people in the country are rude / dirty / bad mannered etc' or that 'the UK is a hellhole' or 'the crime in the entire country is incredibly high' and continued to post these riduculous claims, along with trawling the net for old statistics and any fact that puts the UK down and posted the links saying 'I told you so' - I would be berated in the same way, don't you think? :frown:

Cal x

I was talking more generally, as earlswood is right, there is pc everywhere now, drives us all crazy too. But Americans and Australians don't seem to be down on their countries like the UK.

Things will come and go out of fashion hopefully, so too these pc freaks - some kindergartens here banned xmas too, in case to offend anyone, how ridiculous, that is being offensive to Christian kids to disrespect their celebration.

My friend in the US put an Oz flag outside her house, not long after a State government official asked her to hang a US flag there as well, of the same dimensions, so they don't let people push their culture out of the way.

Guest earlswood

I lived in Aus for 27 years and have a fair idea of both the positives and negatives of the place.

I for one have never said that Australia is way better than the Uk and the UK is a hellhole etc, I love both places - there are good and bad points, and they wouldn't be such popular destinations for immigrants if that wasn't the case.

The point I was trying to make was that there are others on here who talk about things that are disliked in Aus and say so in a way that is fair, just, and their own personal opinion.

He who shall not be named, however, does it in a spiteful, childish way, makes massive generalisations and thinks he knows all about a country when he (supposedly) only lived in one small town for a short period.

If I lived in say, Liverpool for a couple of months and had a bad experience and went back to Aus, and then badmouthed the entire UK and said that 'all the people in the country are rude / dirty / bad mannered etc' or that 'the UK is a hellhole' or 'the crime in the entire country is incredibly high' and continued to post these riduculous claims, along with trawling the net for old statistics and any fact that puts the UK down and posted the links saying 'I told you so' - I would be berated in the same way, don't you think? :frown:

I suppose it is me your are going on about.

Where do I mad mouth Australia ? I just always point out that when people go on about why they are leaving the UK the same **** is over there, I have never said Australia is a bad place and just go on my personal experiences as you do, there are plenty on here who rubbish the UK constantly without a word of criticism and one is a mod, I never start a thread by going on about the crap that goes on in Australia but I do respond when people go on about the UK and have never been to Oz.

Think about it, I have said many times that both Countries are good places to live but crime and all the crap that goes with it is in Australia as much as the UK.

Mmmmmmmmmmm! why lpool when talking about bad experience,crime etc? i used to like you

Guest earlswood
Mmmmmmmmmmm! why lpool when talking about bad experience,crime etc? i used to like you

of topic....good game last night lad.

Guest smc01
I suppose it is me your are going on about.

Where do I mad mouth Australia ? I just always point out that when people go on about why they are leaving the UK the same **** is over there, I have never said Australia is a bad place and just go on my personal experiences as you do, there are plenty on here who rubbish the UK constantly without a word of criticism and one is a mod, I never start a thread by going on about the crap that goes on in Australia but I do respond when people go on about the UK and have never been to Oz.

Think about it, I have said many times that both Countries are good places to live but crime and all the crap that goes with it is in Australia as much as the UK.

I'm not going to stroke your ego and find certain posts / threads that back up my claim, most of them have probably been removed anyway, you know as well as I though that you have constantly 'mad mouthed' Australia and do so any chance you get.

To be honest what has really offended me is the times you have put down the Australian race as a whole, be it by saying that we're derived from 'lower class British stock', or are 'the most ignorant and uncouth race in the world' - both claims completely unfounded, unfair and downright arrogant.

Guest smc01

Aw no offence meant! Should of said London or somewhere else but what sprang to mind was when we went to Liverpool, parked our car, got out and had lunch and came back to find all 4 rims had been taken!!! :laugh:

I do think though that the Liverpool accent is fantastic! Have made scouser mates at clubs simply because I liked hearing them talk!!!

Archived