NURSES - Moving to Australia

Guest JoanneHattersley

Guest JanUK

Hi Angie, you might find it useful to have a look at a few of the other threads which have been ongoing about this kind of stuff in the last couple of weeks.

The new rules come in on 1st July, so you need to wait and see exactly what they have decided, but either way hopefully you'll be able to work off the back of your partner's visa?

To get permission I understand all nurses have to get a skills assessment by ANMAC- have a look at their website. To get a skills assessment you have to have first passed an English test - see their site for the current pass mark. Once you've done all that you have to get AHPRA to give you permission to work in OZ.

I assume all the above applies to you, even tho' you're going on your partners visa, but someone else may be better able to confirm this for you, as I'm learning as I go, and my situation is different as I am the one applying for a visa.

As a point of interest, someone I knew went on her husband's visa (he was an engineer I think) and she said she couldn't believe how quickly all her permissions got sorted. I know she had to have the medical, but can't be sure how much of the other process she had to work through, so if you're lucky you might find it's more straight forward off the back of your partner.:unsure:

Have a look at the ANMAC and AHPRA websites, as they are quite helpful for most things, and I think you'll find a contact phone number or email for questions too.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on!

I hope you find the whole process quicker than I have:arghh:

Jan :)

Guest JanUK

Isn't it interesting that the rules don't change for a couple of days and yet they have in effect managed to stop any last minute applications beore 1st July :no::grumpy1

I'm going to sit tight until the new rules are published anyway, in case they bring something else in that I'm not expecting, as I can't stand the disappointment any more than I have to :cry:

I'll let you know what happens if and when I can figure out my next steps......... Thanks for your help

Jan

Hi! ive a few questions :) Im moving to Perth in next few months on partners sponsored visa. I am a nurse and hope to do agency work to start with.. Where do I start to be able to work as a nurse? I have contacted the NMC in UK for a Verification certificate. Other than that im stumped as to what to do to get registered in Perth?? Have read various web sites but it seems rather complicated esp. as im not going to a job? any advice would be great! :)

Hi, all you need to do is apply for registration as a nurse with AHPRA. Once you have you can work as a nurse anywhere in Oz. You don't need a job to apply. Look on AHPRA website which will tell you what you need for application. Also, if you read through the whole of this thread it should help.

As you will be the second applicant on your partners visa, you won't need assessment with ANMAC. That's just if you were the main applicant for skilled migration.

Hope this helps:cute:

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

I am in the UK (paeds community nurse) and plan to move to Queensland next year. We have PR - got it 3 years ago via subclass 136.

I have had registration before in Australia both with the Queensland and WA Boards. However I let them both lapse when we thought we weren't going to come over - totally kicking myself now :mad:

Do you think me previous registrations count for anything or do I need to apply from scratch now the whole system has changed?? Any advice gratefully recieved. :biggrin:

Hi Annalg, I was registered in NSW in 1990 - 1997 and let it laspe when returned to UK, now going back to Aus and has to reapply from scratch, i too really wish hadnt let it lapse.....being previously registered doesnt seem to count for much. I reapplied to APRHA about 6 weeks ago, got confirmation received and now just waiting..... hope goes well for you! Nell

Hi everyone,

I sent my AHPRA application on 20th June and received an email on 1st July confirming that it has been received and is currently being assessed. Does this mean they are actively working on it now? I hope so!

Has anyone else recently put in an application? I have no idea how long it is going to take, and I'm being way too impatient!

Also another quick question, did anyone put in evidence of cpd or references? I didn't see any requests for this on the application but have heard other people talk about this being requested after they have applied? Have I just been really blonde and completely missed out that bit! I'm really hoping they aren't going to ask for this later as it will just delay things!

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hiya, I have never had to submit any cpd, or extras, and had an e.mail saying everything they require is there, and if I am successful I'll hear in writing. Better be successful!!! Hope this helps. Donna.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

Thanks Donna that is very reassuring! My friend sent off her application a few months ago and received an email asking for evidence of CPD over the last 5 years and for two references on hospital headed paper to be sent to them! I was worrying about this a bit as I hadn't included this!

It seems they just seem to make up what they do and don't want from some people. so confusing.

How long did it take before you received an email stating that they had everything they needed?

Hi again, got the e.mail a couple of weeks ago, but form been in for a while. Can't see my timeline as on my phone. I had previously received an e.mail asking for NMC verification as it had gone missing, and they wanted more info about my Uni transcript, which I had to get sorted. I had originally sent in a reference/ detailed job description on headed paper from my ward manager.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

Guest csmyth86

Hey, I sent my Application to Perth office on 28th April and was required to send additional info as my transcript didn't include hours in pharmacology, microbiology, anatomy and physiology and medical/surgical hours and elderly care. I got a letter sent from the uni and I received a letter on 9th July to day I was eligible for registration. It was quicker than I thought so good luck to everyone else who is waiting, they seem to pulling their finger out now buti paid £35 to have a single sheet of paper sent (stat dec) only to be told they had given me the wrong one to be filled out so just double check everything.

Charmaine x

Guest tandcmum

I sent my application off 10th june to Brisbane and got an email saying they had received it and only the NMC verifcation was outstanding and then the application would be deemed complete. NMC sent verification off on 29th June so hoping it gets there soon, Still awaiting an email asking for additional info, nothing is ever simple where I'm involved and not expecting this to go plain sailing either :(

Guest girlinOZ
I sent my application off 10th june to Brisbane and got an email saying they had received it and only the NMC verifcation was outstanding and then the application would be deemed complete. NMC sent verification off on 29th June so hoping it gets there soon, Still awaiting an email asking for additional info, nothing is ever simple where I'm involved and not expecting this to go plain sailing either :(

good luck to you! sounds like you are close!! I got my license last december after 11 months (6 months after lodging the app). i went to the Brisbane office in person last year, and that seemed to help, plus i lodged my app just days before they switched to the new scheme, so mine got priority. My boyfriend and I fly back to townsville next Wednesday and i begin my new job next month! so excited!!

the best to you!:wink:

Hi everyone,

I sent my AHPRA application on 20th June and received an email on 1st July confirming that it has been received and is currently being assessed. Does this mean they are actively working on it now? I hope so!

Has anyone else recently put in an application? I have no idea how long it is going to take, and I'm being way too impatient!

Also another quick question, did anyone put in evidence of cpd or references? I didn't see any requests for this on the application but have heard other people talk about this being requested after they have applied? Have I just been really blonde and completely missed out that bit! I'm really hoping they aren't going to ask for this later as it will just delay things!

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

I sent my application on 27th June and received an email on 14th July saying they'd received it. I thought everything would be ok as I'd sent in everything but the kitchen sink! My CV was 8 pages long, it was sooooo detailed, took me an age to complete it. My line manager did me such a fantastic reference that I told her we should employ this person!!!

Was it good enough for AHPRA??? Don't be silly, they're asking for the transcript from the uni I trained at, surely the one used for the ANMAC is what they want? I've emailed them asking that question and am still waiting for a reply. I've heard this can be a long process, different timescales ranging from 8 weeks to 9 months, I only hope I'm one of the lucky ones. I'm actually going to see a psychic tomorrow to see if I can get any clues when I'll be on that plane!!! How sad is that!

Jackie

Hi All,

I am really confused :confused:. Just doing IELTS test to migrate to Perth with my family. As the main appilcate what do i have to do first and with who? Is it do full skills assessment with ANMAC then fill in application for AHPRA? I have telephoned various people in Auz for help but all say different things! I am a childrens nurse in the UK. Many Thanks.... Any help would be great.

Lisa

Hi All,

I am really confused :confused:. Just doing IELTS test to migrate to Perth with my family. As the main appilcate what do i have to do first and with who? Is it do full skills assessment with ANMAC then fill in application for AHPRA? I have telephoned various people in Auz for help but all say different things! I am a childrens nurse in the UK. Many Thanks.... Any help would be great.

Lisa

Hiya Lisa,

I'm Donna a Staff Nurse who is a little bit ahead with this long process!! So the options are you can do a full skills assessment with the ANMAC, and at your leisure apply to Aphra. Or you can apply to APHRA, and then complete the modified skills assessment. I think historically, Aphra took a number of months, so people were doing the full skills assessment with ANMAC. This is what I have done, but guess if you are in no hurry and want to save a little bit of money then the modified could be a route you could take.

I have just realised I am assuming that you are looking to apply for a 175 or 176 visa. I have no knowledge on the 457 visas, or anything to do with the employer sponsor scheme. However, there are lots of nurses on here that could help with that.

Meantime, I'd suggest starting to gather all the relevant docs together. You need a university transcipt that you'll probably have to pay the Uni for, think mine cost £40. Also birth, marriage certificates, copy of degree, you need a detailed reference/job description from your employer. I believe that the requirements have changed on this since 1st July, so I'd check exactly what you need to ask your boss for.

THe other option is you could call an agent for advice, they will have a chat for free. I am using an agent, but I was so egar to get started I never spent anytime researching the whole thing. I am sure if I had taken a few months I would have managed this thing myself, plenty of people manage it, and with this forum you'd be fine.

I hope I've helped a little bit, feel free to pm or ask more questions!!

Donna x:biggrin:

No worries, happy form filling!! The other option for a quicker visa is a 176. The 175 do take longer, so to quicken things up we applied for a 176. Basically you have to pick a state, i.e WA, or SA and apply there first, they then give out state sponsorship if you are successful, and this speeds up the visa. You have to stay in the sponsored state for 2 years, but we had picked Perth, so seemed for us a win win.

Am probably telling you info you already know, but just thought I'd mention it,

Donna x

Guest loveaussies

Hi all....

I am from UK...working as a Registered Nurse.....and I manage to find a job in NSW nursing home....I passed the Interview..........and they told me the company head office will contact me for the next steps of 457 visa.....

Honestly I have no idea what is 457 visa and next steps of actions I should do...or what will they do or ask me to do....?? any one got any idea.. also how long it will take to get this kind of sponsorship visa........I am ready for a move any time...

also do I need police clearence etc...from UK..on nursing registration side, I got eligiblity letter from AHPRA...need to submit ID at any AHPRA office for completion of registration...how long will it take???

Someone know more about these procedures please help....

Thanks....:hug:

Guest snowangel

hi all, im currently trying to register with AHPRA (what a nightmare), i sent off for to the NMC for the aplication pack so that they can verify my qualifications, they sent this but also a letter saying:

'some overseas registrations authorites require a practitioner to hold effective registration with their original body, therefore, may i suggest you check with the overseas registration authority, with whom you are applying for registration, in order to ascertain whether effective registration in the UK is required. if you do require effective registration with the NMC then please contact us.

i dont suppose any of you know what effective registration is? its just im already registered with the NMC so i dont know what this means?! any help appreciated

Hi Annalg, I was registered in NSW in 1990 - 1997 and let it laspe when returned to UK, now going back to Aus and has to reapply from scratch, i too really wish hadnt let it lapse.....being previously registered doesnt seem to count for much. I reapplied to APRHA about 6 weeks ago, got confirmation received and now just waiting..... hope goes well for you! Nell

Thanks Nell. That's what I thought :sad:

Better get on with it then!

hi all, im currently trying to register with AHPRA (what a nightmare), i sent off for to the NMC for the aplication pack so that they can verify my qualifications, they sent this but also a letter saying:

'some overseas registrations authorites require a practitioner to hold effective registration with their original body, therefore, may i suggest you check with the overseas registration authority, with whom you are applying for registration, in order to ascertain whether effective registration in the UK is required. if you do require effective registration with the NMC then please contact us.

i dont suppose any of you know what effective registration is? its just im already registered with the NMC so i dont know what this means?! any help appreciated

They just mean that if you are registred as a nurse in the UK then they can help. What I did was send all documents to AHPRA,contact NMC and ask them to send confirmation of my registration, you give them the AHPRA office address in whichever Australian office you have sent documents, and voila! You have now given AHPRA proof that you are UK registered, simple as. Think NMC charge a fee, not much though. When I called them there was a specific department that they transferred me to and they sent out the form, only short and one sided. Pay fee, enter AHPRA address, takes a few days and they post direct.

Hope that helps, don't be confused by it all!

:biggrin:

I applied to the sydney office :o( Posted my application on march 7th and got an email last week.....saying theyd finally gotten to my application and wanted things recertified as they werent happy with the firm id used to certify ID docs and they wanted all my statements of services certified as well - which i dont remember them asking for on the form...and once they receive these theyll be happy to proceed with the application.....its fair to say i have a strong dislike for aphra!

Becs x

Well I have just had an email back too saying they are not happy with who I used as a certifier and that I need to get it all photocopied and certified again!! I used a Barrister of a High Court who has done this sort of thing plenty of times, surely he is suitable?!

They also stated that I have supplied insufficient evidence of being taught and assessed in English, I sent them letters from my head teacher of my secondary school and my college stating that all subjects were taught in English and I gave them a copy of my college certificate and uni certificate to prove I passed them. I don't understand what else they want??

I think they were also saying I haven't provided enough proof of identity. I sent them a copy of passport and birth certificate and change of name deed as it says overseas applicants can provide this as a minimum but will need to provide the rest on arrival? Did anyone else just provide this?

I'm so disheartened it took me about two months to get all that paperwork together and to get it all signed (not to mention the cost!) I really don't understand where I have gone so wrong! :(

its so rubbish isnt it. I was pretty gutted when i got my email last week - its like you say - the cost! I got solicitors to certify my last stuff so i can see why they werent happy - but my sister used the same guy and they approved her reg! now have to find a notary and sell a kidney to get him to sign a few things.

Its just a nightmare! It is so disheartening! x