NURSES - Moving to Australia

Guest JoanneHattersley

Hi there, I would probably see if you can contact the Australian Nursing Federation and they will be able to show you the pay scales. It differs from state to state. When I started nursing out here I was an RN and my manager applied to the HR department to honour my previous experience so I believe I started as a 1.5 or 1.6 as I was, like you, 4 years post qualifying when I came out here to WA. You work your way up the scale on years of service for that level. So once you are at the top of the RN scale 1.9 you stay there unless you get a promotion. You still get a pay rise every year though. Hope that answers your question. I can't share the link for the ANF with you as it's a members only area on their website. But I am sure if you emailed them, they would help.

Hi just about ready to post of ahpra application does anyone know what the processing time is in Melbourne.

Not sure re Melbourne but mine only took 8 days from being received at Darwin though I had had Anmac transfer paper work good luck

Hi all, hoping you nurses out there can help with what are some probably obvious questions. I've got my ielts booked for July,(not looking forward to it). I'm confused as to where I need to get the results Sent to, is it ANMAC or AHPRA? Im guessing ANMAC as they will be the ones assessing my skills? Also if I request to have the result sent to the appropriate place will I also get a copy? If I do get a copy, can I send a certified copy to DIAC for visa application?

As I said I appreciate that the answers to these question are probably totally obvious but after too much research, reading and more reading, I've become totally confused! God help me when it comes to the visa application if I'm already confused!

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!!

Finally AHPRA registered today on my bday woohoo! Only took 6 months!! ? Sent it to Adelaide last year Dec my caseworker was so unhelpful I had to keep emailing him to get updates. In the end he got transferred to another department and someone new took over my file just Wednesday this week and I received my letter of eligibility today. Hang on in there ladies and gents it's a lengthy process but just make sure when you're submitting you put in all that's required really helps things along and fingers crossed you have a good caseworker! Good luck?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi all, hoping you nurses out there can help with what are some probably obvious questions. I've got my ielts booked for July,(not looking forward to it). I'm confused as to where I need to get the results Sent to, is it ANMAC or AHPRA? Im guessing ANMAC as they will be the ones assessing my skills? Also if I request to have the result sent to the appropriate place will I also get a copy? If I do get a copy, can I send a certified copy to DIAC for visa application?

As I said I appreciate that the answers to these question are probably totally obvious but after too much research, reading and more reading, I've become totally confused! God help me when it comes to the visa application if I'm already confused!

You can request up to three places if i remember right to receive a copy. even if you just put ANMAC down initially when your ready to send to Aphra you can contact where you sat IELTS and request them to forward a copy with no extra cost! As far as Diac is concerned though im not at this point yet, you upload all documents online anyway. You do receive a copy yourself to. x

You can request up to three places if i remember right to receive a copy. even if you just put ANMAC down initially when your ready to send to Aphra you can contact where you sat IELTS and request them to forward a copy with no extra cost! As far as Diac is concerned though im not at this point yet, you upload all documents online anyway. You do receive a copy yourself to. x

Thanks so much for your reply, really appreciate it.

Gpod luck with ielts! Im just about to book mine , how much revising are you planning to do . Im awaiting a book from amazon . The thought of ielts makes me really nervous!

Gpod luck with ielts! Im just about to book mine , how much revising are you planning to do . Im awaiting a book from amazon . The thought of ielts makes me really nervous!

Hi there, I'm planning to do the stuff on the ielts website but having 2 young boys I've not got alot of spare time! I'm rubbish at exams and I'm dreading it. I've got a couple of books from amazon too, just need to open them now! Think I'm going to try and do an hour or 2 every couple of nights for a couple of weeks before the test, my head will explode if I cram loads in. Yikes, not looking forward to it! Good luck with yours!

Okay, really stressed now. I submitted all my documents to ANMAC and they've emailed back today to say they've received my IELTS but require me to have done academic not general IELTS. I'M so confused. It doesn't state which IELTS they require on the 5 selection criteria areas, just says requires IELTS above 7 in each part.

I'm British, have done all my education in UK and got 9 for general IELTS. Is it true I have to do ACADEMIC instead?!

Okay, really stressed now. I submitted all my documents to ANMAC and they've emailed back today to say they've received my IELTS but require me to have done academic not general IELTS. I'M so confused. It doesn't state which IELTS they require on the 5 selection criteria areas, just says requires IELTS above 7 in each part.

I'm British, have done all my education in UK and got 9 for general IELTS. Is it true I have to do ACADEMIC instead?!

Its definitely the Academic version and is stated on the site (http://www.anmac.org.au/faqs#006), its unfortunate but probably unlikely they will accept general. Best just swallow the bitter pill and resit the Academic and at least be happy you have gained 20 points for visa purposes with your previous one so all is not lost!

Its definitely the Academic version and is stated on the siote (http://www.anmac.org.au/faqs#006), its unfortunate but probably unlikely they will accept general. Best just swallow the bitter pill and resit the Academic and at least be happy you have gained 20 points for visa purposes with your previous one so all is not lost!

Thank-you. Ugh its so frustrating. Booked on to do academic on 22/6 so hopefully this won't delay things for me too much.

Things like this make me wish I had the money to get an agent

Guest genorm

If you went under 457 sponsored, you wouldn't have to do IELTs at all if you did all your education in UK.

Thank-you. Ugh its so frustrating. Booked on to do academic on 22/6 so hopefully this won't delay things for me too much.

Things like this make me wish I had the money to get an agent

can anyone help? we're applying for 189 with hubby as main applicant and not claiming any points for my profession however I am a qualified midwife (16 yrs) and will want to practise in Australia. as far as I can understand it I will need to register with ahpra but won't need skills assess with anmac. is this correct? is skills assess only reqd for the actual visa application?

help please! also how soon should I register, will oh need to get the visa through first, ie how long does the LOE "last" for before it must be activated?

many thanks you lovely helpful people,

J x x

I've got my eligibility for registration approval/letter on the 18th of January 2013.....registration not completed yet, as i have to arrive in Australia....all fees were paid on application (last year, in October), including the annual fee.....the 31st of May 2013 was the last day of renewal, with an extension of one month, so up to the end of June....QUESTION: if I am not fully registered yet, do I have to pay another annual fee or this will be due only by the 31.05.2014?....anyone having the same dilemma?.....I called AHPRA and they weren't clear....just mumbling something :mad:....I, also wrote to them, making the inquiry....no answer :mad:......any advice much appreciated!

Guest genorm

Depends which state you are looking in and what speciality. Nothing in Perth, desperate for Midwives in NSW, TAS, QLD, NT, SA and ACT. Really need Scrub/Scout/Anaesthetics Nurses in Tas, Darwin and Sydney. Aged Care RGN's for Canberra. Hospitals are increasing the experience criteria though.

Any Nurses here looking for work? How are you finding things

You don't need skills assessment to register with ahpra, when you apply it can take several weeks to be processed and then you have one year from the date you get the letter of eligibility to turn up in person at the office in Australia to finalise and complete registration.

can anyone help? we're applying for 189 with hubby as main applicant and not claiming any points for my profession however I am a qualified midwife (16 yrs) and will want to practise in Australia. as far as I can understand it I will need to register with ahpra but won't need skills assess with anmac. is this correct? is skills assess only reqd for the actual visa application?

help please! also how soon should I register, will oh need to get the visa through first, ie how long does the LOE "last" for before it must be activated?

many thanks you lovely helpful people,

J x x

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I need some help as I'm totally confused, i've qualified a few months ago with a Bsc in Adult nursing from a UK university, i currently work in the NHS in an acute environment, I'm planning to do my perceptorship then head to Australia, (I've been before and am itching to get back asap).

1) Whats the difference between ANMC and AHPRA?

2) I did my degree in UK and secondary education but my school certificates don't say I was educated in English just the "scottish qualifications authority" the subjects, grades and years sat the exams, oh and I did a 9 month Cert IV massage therapy course in Australia before I did my nursing will they accept this as part of my proof that I can speak, read and write English?

3) Do I need registration before I can apply for jobs?

Any help appreciated

Thanks Lorna

Ahpra is like nmc, you need to be registered with them to practice as a nurse. Anmc is part of some of the visa processes, like a skills assessment i think, I am going over on a 457 to work so I did not need to do this, someone else can tell you more about that as i only know the outlines of it. You don't need to be registered with ahpra to apply for most jobs but they like you to be eligible, you are not fully registered till you appear in person in Australia and you must do this within one year of applying to ahpra and receiving eligibility letter. I had just sent off my application to anpra when i got offered a job, they were happy enough with this start i had made, from posting it took 9 weeks to get eligibility letter. You will need either a letter from your school specifically stating you were taught and examined in english, or stat dec from you stating same. I also had sqa results, however they did not say anything about being in English so were not enough. Good luck xx

Thanks so much for the info, stat dec it will need to be as I've been in touch with the school I attended and as it was more than 5 years ago I left they don't have anything on me, and neither does the local authority the records don't exist, think they got lost in the local govt re-organisation mid 90's!