Britain one of the happiest nations.

Guest earlswood

Perhaps it isn't happiness but the old wartime spirit we inherited from previous generations, to smile when faced with adversity ... it isn't really happiness is it?

Andrew, you're right it's different for everyone - my children have been fine here in the state education system here. it had benefited my daughter in particular who is in a state gifted and talented academic programme which wouldn't have been available in the UK unless we went private (and which we couldn't afford), so definatley better for her than the UK

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dude if you believe that you are more deranged than I thought.... Young people in UK becoming binge drinkers YEAH BUD THEY ARE HAPPY AS ****..... young people with HUGE credit card debts...... HOW many young people have become BANKRUPT recently compared to years before ........

CHECK YOUR FACTS DUDE ..............................................................

live in UK small house block of flats Weatherspoons for lunch dinner and tea ..... cold ****.......

Your right look what it's done to you it's made you a bitter whinging Pom

Guest Guest9973

I'm not that sure on this one.

I've not been back to the y - UK for a few years now ,but Mrs Tyke goes back every year to see the rellies.

Must admit people outwardly seem happier here.

Working on the "Coal face" with new arrivals I hear comments of unhappiness regarding the UK.

Don't some surveys show the highest amount ever of people wanting to move from the y- UK??

I'm not that sure on this one.

I've not been back to the y - UK for a few years now ,but Mrs Tyke goes back every year to see the rellies.

Must admit people outwardly seem happier here.

Working on the "Coal face" with new arrivals I hear comments of unhappiness regarding the UK.

Don't some surveys show the highest amount ever of people wanting to move from the y- UK??

Hi Tyke , dont let earlswood see this post, he,s bound to come out with survey,s that show exactly the opposite. andy

Guest Guest9973
Hi Tyke , dont let earlswood see this post, he,s bound to come out with survey,s that show exactly the opposite. andy

I know - gives him something to do though.:laugh::laugh:

95% have never been affected by crime themselves....so dont do a Daily Mail and say Many of us have been affected by crime because most people have jobs and most people have never been affected by crime.

Exactly Earls , you were very unlucky ; twice .

If anyone lives in a big city they will be a risk of crime on a daily basis , but out in the suburbs of Perth , there is a fantastic feeling of freedom and people say hello to you . That is my personal experience . I have found ozzies and it's migrants very friendly , warm and open and have yet to come across anyone who looks down at the floor when they are passing or turns the other way , as they don't want to look you in the eye and say hi, cause they are either, too embarrased or not sure what the other persons response will be.

Oh and as for the report , those reports don't and never will represent the true concensus of british youth . Having studied Sociology and demographics, i know most are not representive of the TRUE british youth. Anyone can collate a statistic it just depends on what methology they use . I think your intelligent to know that.

For all of you who are coming out or are thinking of coming out , just get on with it , just do it !

Don't let idle chat put you off , you will find out for yourselves when you get here , which bits you like , which bits you don't . Everyone misses different things , some more than others , some don't miss England at all. Despite my homesickness , which comes and goes i am here to give Australia my very best shot as i can see the oppurtunities out here for my family are the best i can give them.

You do feel safe walking the dog , you can send the kids off to school without the fear that they may get beaten up or worse still a knife in their backs. I have met more kind genuine people here in Australia , Ozzies and migrants than i ever did in England . Schools over here do seem initally backward but that is due to their focus on senior school , rather than primary . Primary school is for developing them and it is fun based, well it is at ours. Senior schools , well it is up to u guys to do your homework before you come out , look for a suburb with a good school , it can be done easily , i have done this . I am sending mine to a school which i can only compare to a grammer school education in England and i am completley happy with that , they are thriving . Intivention for my middle child , who has aspergers has been brilliant and only took them two weeks to sort out and he is the happiest boy on this earth at the moment. He has gone form being a beaten up super brain nerd kid in England to a school leader with tons of freinds .

My views on Perth ( i can't say the whole of Oz) are so farr so good , and i do miss England for it's beauty , little villages and outdoor pursuits but in terms of my life and my childrens well being Perth holds the key for us ; at present.

If anyone lives in a big city they will be a risk of crime on a daily basis , but out in the suburbs of Perth , there is a fantastic feeling of freedom and people say hello to you . That is my personal experience . I have found ozzies and it's migrants very friendly , warm and open and have yet to come across anyone who looks down at the floor when they are passing or turns the other way , as they don't want to look you in the eye and say hi, cause they are either, too embarrased or not sure what the other persons response will be.

Oh and as for the report , those reports don't and never will represent the true concensus of british youth . Having studied Sociology and demographics, i know most are not representive of the TRUE british youth. Anyone can collate a statistic it just depends on what methology they use . I think your intelligent to know that.

For all of you who are coming out or are thinking of coming out , just get on with it , just do it !

Don't let idle chat put you off , you will find out for yourselves when you get here , which bits you like , which bits you don't . Everyone misses different things , some more than others , some don't miss England at all. Despite my homesickness , which comes and goes i am here to give Australia my very best shot as i can see the oppurtunities out here for my family are the best i can give them.

You do feel safe walking the dog , you can send the kids off to school without the fear that they may get beaten up or worse still a knife in their backs. I have met more kind genuine people here in Australia , Ozzies and migrants than i ever did in England . Schools over here do seem initally backward but that is due to their focus on senior school , rather than primary . Primary school is for developing them and it is fun based, well it is at ours. Senior schools , well it is up to u guys to do your homework before you come out , look for a suburb with a good school , it can be done easily , i have done this . I am sending mine to a school which i can only compare to a grammer school education in England and i am completley happy with that , they are thriving . Intivention for my middle child , who has aspergers has been brilliant and only took them two weeks to sort out and he is the happiest boy on this earth at the moment. He has gone form being a beaten up super brain nerd kid in England to a school leader with tons of freinds .

My views on Perth ( i can't say the whole of Oz) are so farr so good , and i do miss England for it's beauty , little villages and outdoor pursuits but in terms of my life and my childrens well being Perth holds the key for us ; at present.

What a lovely informative post jo, good luck to you and your family. andy

Guest Guest9973

A top post Jo - some people might want to print this off and keep reading it.

Yup ,it is a mixed bag here but so are the people arriving.

I have a friend whose son has Aspergers - lots of support from the school.Smashing lad too.

I always knew that people are happy here even when the media says we are not...:cute:

the New Economics Foundation (NeF), found UK residents were among the sixth happiest nations.

The 2007-08 Citizenship Survey - a robust, nationally representative household survey - found that 94% of young people say they feel part of British society.

Under the skin Brits are a happy nation with a great sense of humour which is unique to the British Isles and not really grasped by many of it’s European neighbours the report stated.

You should really quote the whole report Early.

BBC NEWS | UK | Britons 'bored but happy' - study

Im Half with Earls here (jeez think thats a first,lol) Britain definately has a better sense of humour than most countrys i have been too , including here in Oz. So yep i agree with that, however 'the happiest'' - i don't think so, for friendliness and smiles the aussies win every time for me. I think it must be something to do with waking up to sunshine most mornings!

Cal x

Im Half with Earls here (jeez think thats a first,lol) Britain definately has a better sense of humour than most countrys i have been too , including here in Oz. So yep i agree with that, however 'the happiest'' - i don't think so, for friendliness and smiles the aussies win every time for me. I think it must be something to do with waking up to sunshine most mornings!

Cal x

Sorry Cal The Aussies are not freindlier than the Brits. We as a nation are a bunch of moaners but we are a very excepting welcoming bunch.

I always knew that people are happy here even when the media says we are not...:cute:

the New Economics Foundation (NeF), found UK residents were among the sixth happiest nations.

The 2007-08 Citizenship Survey - a robust, nationally representative household survey - found that 94% of young people say they feel part of British society.

Under the skin Brits are a happy nation with a great sense of humour which is unique to the British Isles and not really grasped by many of it’s European neighbours the report stated.

I believe that! Happy as a pig in s**t

Guest earlswood
YO Stats Boy

I am your Stats Girl!!

My local paper got some figures for the town (population 92,000) through the freedom of information act.

And I WILL bore you with the stats cos I know you love em!!!!

viiolence against the person 91

drug offence 13

robbery 6

theft/handling 135

sexual offences 2

criminal damage 116

vehicle crime 91

burglary dwelling 31

burglary other 41

fraud/forgery 21

other offences 12

How many were reported to the public?????

3 of the theft/handling crimes.

THREE Earlswood.

This isn't the Daily Mail.

By the way. These crimes were commited in:

THE MONTH of September 2008.

ONE MONTH Earlswood.

Remember when I told you I was threatened by a man with an axe? You said it would have made the national papers????? And I said not even the local paper!!

See?? See what makes the local paper?

3 of the crimes!!!!!!

Who reads the Daily Mail Earlswood????

OK IF you want to bring figures into it....twice as many australians are killed by guns than in the UK....yes...twice as many Ozcan...

Gun Deaths - International Comparisons

Gun deaths per 100,000 population (for the year indicated):

Homicide Suicide Other

Homicide Suicide Other

USA (2001) 3.98 5.92 0.36

Italy (1997) 0.81 1.1 0.07

Switzerland (1998) 0.50 5.8 0.10

Canada (2002) 0.4 2.0 0.04

Finland (2003) 0.35 4.45 0.10

Australia (2001) 0.24 1.34 0.10

France (2001) 0.21 3.4 0.49

England/Wales (2002) 0.11 0.2 0.03

Scotland (2002) 0.06 0.2 0.02 Japan (2002) 0.02 0.04 0

Look at the suicide rate for Australia...not so happy as Brits.

Earlswood,

I was giving you figures for 1 month in my town, not globally, not gun crime, lots of crimes.

Depressing as it is, that's where I live and walk with my family.

If you checked the stats for where YOU live you may be surprised.

So as we have seen you like to show half a report to prove a point or spark a reaction.

If you're so happy back here just go and get on with it.

Believe me life is different when you have kids.

Ultimately, maybe you're not very streetwise or give off a weird vibe to be threatened twice in the same area.

Guest earlswood
Earlswood,

I was giving you figures for 1 month in my town, not globally, not gun crime, lots of crimes.

Depressing as it is, that's where I live and walk with my family.

If you checked the stats for where YOU live you may be surprised.

So as we have seen you like to show half a report to prove a point or spark a reaction.

If you're so happy back here just go and get on with it.

Believe me life is different when you have kids.

Ultimately, maybe you're not very streetwise or give off a weird vibe to be threatened twice in the same area.

When will you realise that crime rates in Australia is not that different from crime in the UK....I cannot be arsed to keep arguing with the figures.

If you say the uk is among the happiest nation for teenagers, why is it then that suicide rates are high, belima anorexia is at a all time high, not to mention stress related illness! Just a thought and not a poke before anyone gets defensive

John

If you say the uk is among the happiest nation for teenagers, why is it then that suicide rates are high, belima anorexia is at a all time high, not to mention stress related illness! Just a thought and not a poke before anyone gets defensive

John

I will just add to that John if you dont mind, teenagers knifing each other everyday. andy

Guest earlswood
I will just add to that John if you dont mind, teenagers knifing each other everyday. andy

yeh they do it with guns in Oz,,,twice as many gun murders over there luv.

When will you realise that crime rates in Australia is not that different from crime in the UK....I cannot be arsed to keep arguing with the figures.

I do realise that.

I have never said there were different. I'm not naive and am fairly well travelled, but not an expert.

Maybe you're confusing me with someone else?

So PLEASE stop arguing with figures!!

yeh they do it with guns in Oz,,,twice as many gun murders over there luv.

Change the record, that one is scratched, it keeps repeating itself. andy

Guest earlswood
Change the record, that one is scratched, it keeps repeating itself. andy

only when you stop going on about crime in the UK

Archived