Britain one of the happiest nations.

Guest earlswood

Guest treesea
Hi Treesea, because oz did not work for you does not mean it will not for us! andy

I never said we didn't have a good life in Australia, or that it didn't work for us. We're Australians - any time we want to go back there, we can. We both earned a lot more in Australia than we do back in the UK, had a much nicer house and did heaps more. At the end of the day, it's just a matter of preference.

I had visions, coming back, that we would be off to Europe every six months or so. Lol, I haven't as much as crossed the coast of Britain in five years - except to go to Skye. My land under my feet, caressed by the haar, with the North Sea at my feet - five years back and the pleasure of being home still hasn't worn off. It took me over 30 years to get back here on a permanent move, so I appreciate it all the more.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest earlswood
I never said we didn't have a good life in Australia, or that it didn't work for us. We're Australians - any time we want to go back there, we can. We both earned a lot more in Australia than we do back in the UK, had a much nicer house and did heaps more. At the end of the day, it's just a matter of preference.

I had visions, coming back, that we would be off to Europe every six months or so. Lol, I haven't as much as crossed the coast of Britain in five years - except to go to Skye. My land under my feet, caressed by the haar, with the North Sea at my feet - five years back and the pleasure of being home still hasn't worn off. It took me over 30 years to get back here on a permanent move, so I appreciate it all the more.

Scotland is amazing....except glasgow and other cities of course......If I could live in Skye with plenty of work I would move there tommorow.

Guest treesea
This certainly seems to be true....since returning to school yesterday I've heard all sorts of horror stories about people being laid off work over summer...not sure where their next dollar is coming from. I had a english lady at my door this morning looking for cleaning work. She was in tears..her husband lost his building job (they've been here only 5 weeks) and they can barely afford to feed their children......scary:shocked:

Oh goodness, that's a sad story. To anyone who plans to go to Australia, please make sure you take enough money. On a different thread one poster worked out £25K as the cost of emigrating (including air travel and the cost of shipping). I worked it out as £18K. These figures may sound high, and were pooh poohed on the thread by some people, but please do keep in mind, the Australian labour market is very flexible and non unionised compared to here - more like the States than the UK - and if anything happens in the first two years there is no recourse to public funds, whatever visa you go on. Australia is not a good place to run out of money.

Guest treesea
Scotland is amazing....except glasgow and other cities of course......If I could live in Skye with plenty of work I would move there tommorow.

Skye? A real stunner looks wise, but it also had seriously scary weather. Had enough of that in Sydney and Melbourne. It would be a great place to learn Gaelic though - I heard it spoken in lots of places. Edinburgh is my ideal - rain that is more of an excuse for rain than the real thing, sunshine when the forecast says snow, schools complete with darkrooms, pottery wheels and kilns (very strange, but thank you, presumably to our fellow English taxpayers) lovely fog, and a bus company that has more money than sense (low fares, buses every five minutes - bizarre). Glasgow would be more intersting, but it's love affair with rain puts me off.

Guest jackie-lou

errrr weirdo why r you on here if you r sooooo anti oz......

and when was the last time someone said good morning or hello just because they wanted to....

and not because they had to!!! ay!

i love my society crack heads wahhhooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Guest Guest9973

Then you'd be complaining there was no night life or women!!!:biglaugh::biglaugh:

errrr weirdo why r you on here if you r sooooo anti oz......

and when was the last time someone said good morning or hello just because they wanted to....

and not because they had to!!! ay!

i love my society crack heads wahhhooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Hear hear, Earlswood why the hell are you on a site that is for Poms in Oz when you are no longer in Oz and have nothing but bad things to say about the place. :frown:

Granted, I'm the opposite (an Oz in Pom) but my partner is a Pom and we're soon heading back to that great big land that I call home.

I've been living in the UK (Fulham for a year and now Guildford) for the last two years and have been held up at knifepoint in our own home, been attacked by a rogue cab driver and been robbed twice. Nothing like that ever happened in the 28 years I lived in Melbourne, and I put it down to my own naivety of being used to the safety of Oz. (Btw I lived in Melbourne's east, not in a country town or anything!)

I don't want to hear any figures or stats, couldn't care less, everyone has different experiences wherever they are, doen't mean that either place is better or worse. I still love it here, have just gotten used to the fact that there's a lot more to be wary of.

My OH's mum is a Police officer here and has friends who are officers in Adelaide, and she confirms that crime over here is way way worse than in Oz!

:yes:

Guest jackie-lou

i so agree i cant understand why he is on here!

Life is hard no matter where you live,theres good and bad things going on all over the world,but the people and familys on here are trying to find something slightly better for themselves,obviously better than the life they lead here!

So if youve been and tried it and it wasnt for you get on with it and try something else or just be happy with what youve got and let others be happy with there adventure,be it right or wrong!

Sorry but had to chuckle at your post!

Sounds like youve encountered BROKEN BRITAIN.

Exactly!! You never know until you try and if you don't like what you find at least you gave it a shot and you're wiser for the experience!

Yeah Britain has been a bit 'broken' for me but all is good and every cloud has a silver lining, if I didn't come over here would never have met the love of my life!! Anything is worth going through to have him! (Ha how schmultzy does that sound?!) :wub:

Guest earlswood
Hear hear, Earlswood why the hell are you on a site that is for Poms in Oz when you are no longer in Oz and have nothing but bad things to say about the place. :frown:

Granted, I'm the opposite (an Oz in Pom) but my partner is a Pom and we're soon heading back to that great big land that I call home.

I've been living in the UK (Fulham for a year and now Guildford) for the last two years and have been held up at knifepoint in our own home, been attacked by a rogue cab driver and been robbed twice. Nothing like that ever happened in the 28 years I lived in Melbourne, and I put it down to my own naivety of being used to the safety of Oz. (Btw I lived in Melbourne's east, not in a country town or anything!)

I don't want to hear any figures or stats, couldn't care less, everyone has different experiences wherever they are, doen't mean that either place is better or worse. I still love it here, have just gotten used to the fact that there's a lot more to be wary of.

My OH's mum is a Police officer here and has friends who are officers in Adelaide, and she confirms that crime over here is way way worse than in Oz!

:yes:

You have contradicted yourself….

You had a bad experince in the UK I had a couple in oz...as you say everyones experiences are different.

I was held up twice by knifepoint and robbed in Perth, which was my own fault being in Northbridge after midnight......I was never mugged in the Uk in over 26 years including 4 years in London....I have never said I hate Oz...I just point out how I found it good or bad.

And your other half’s mum is wrong as crime is the same average in both Countries...wont bother with the statistics.

You have contradicted yourself….

You had a bad experince in the UK I had a couple in oz...as you say everyones experiences are different.

I was held up twice by knifepoint and robbed in Perth, which was my own fault being in Northbridge after midnight......I was never mugged in the Uk in over 26 years including 4 years in London....I have never said I hate Oz...I just point out how I found it good or bad.

And your other half’s mum is wrong as crime is the same average in both Countries...wont bother with the statistics.

Oh my god Earlswood, you were not really" held up twice by knifepoint", why had you never mentioned this before! andy

Guest Midlanders

British people happier than Ozziessss ... what a joke earlsy. Are the stats taken from earlwoods world or just based on people in Stratford and survey was done from the drinkers in witherspoons pub.

Here are the actual figures:

1 Denmark 2 Switzerland 3 Austria 4 Iceland 5 Findland 6 Australia 7 Sweden 8 Canada

9 Gautemala 10 Luxemberg USA 17th UK 22nd place

Makes me laugh that Gautemala residents are far happier than the brits - no 9th place

CIA Website states current situation:

Guatemala is a source, transit, and destination country for Guatemalans and Central Americans trafficked for the purposes of commercial sexual exploitation and forced labor; human trafficking is a significant and growing problem in the country; Guatemalan women and children are trafficked within the country for commercial sexual exploitation, primarily to Mexico and the United States; Guatemalan men, women, and children are also trafficked within the country, and to Mexico and the United States, for forced labor and no mention of the number of murders each year. Perhaps they still trying to find the bodies before they publish them.

Then even the yanks are happier than us in 22nd place after suffering with bush for the last 8 years and hundred of thousand being laid off work and losing their homes as well as high drug and crime figures there.

Earsly - tell my sister in law and her kids that she should be happy being british as having to cope with the murder of her husband before christmas and the crime taking place in a church yard!!!!

A large number of youths day dont give a monkeys about anyone but themselves and get totally out of their faces by drink or drug as a mean of escape from their lives. They then turn onto us working citizens as a mean to feed their habits by mugging us or burgularing our homes and I certainly glad that i dont go out at night and have to run into any gang that are now so prevelent in all towns and cities.

And when you hear them speak , oh my god what language are they speaking, its not english for sure!!!!! Im sure most members will agree that all you here them say is "like this" "Like" "like" and cannot form a sentance !!!!! it makes me cringe to think how our teachers can be in the same room as these individuals and deal with this day in day out.

Get us out of here asap ..............as I dont want to pay any higher taxes for crap services and made to feel like a 2nd class citizen in my birthplace and where all my ancestors where born.

Have your thought that perhaps this is why so many of us working tax payers are getting out of here and alot of us want to go down under or elsewhere???? I think there is a big plot by the government and bbc to put us off oz. Think about it .......when we go they both going to lose out from our taxes and licence fees.. So I'd rather not stay here any longer than facing another 30 years to pay of the last few months debt on top of what we paid before.

Well one good thing that you have to look forward to earlswood, is the government has just paid off our debt from world war II. Lucky you..

Great Britain is totally decimated and lost our national idenity and therefore britian has lost its great where we are concerned

Waiting for Vetassess April 09.

Guest earlswood
Oh my god Earlswood, you were not really" held up twice by knifepoint", why had you never mentioned this before! andy

Joke about it pal...:no:

I only hope you are any of your family never have a knife held to your throat as your wallet and watch are taken

Joke about it pal...:no:

I only hope you are any of your family never have a knife held to your throat as your wallet and watch are taken

Yes well if it does happen to me earlswood and by your reckoning it will probably happen in oz, i will be sure to tell everyone 300 times. andy

Guest earlswood
British people happier than Ozziessss ... what a joke earlsy. Are the stats taken from earlwoods world or just based on people in Stratford and survey was done from the drinkers in witherspoons pub.

Here are the actual figures:

1 Denmark 2 Switzerland 3 Austria 4 Iceland 5 Findland 6 Australia 7 Sweden 8 Canada

9 Gautemala 10 Luxemberg USA 17th UK 22nd place

Makes me laugh that Gautemala residents are far happier than the brits - no 9th place

CIA Website states current situation:

Guatemala is a source, transit, and destination country for Guatemalans and Central Americans trafficked for the purposes of commercial sexual exploitation and forced labor; human trafficking is a significant and growing problem in the country; Guatemalan women and children are trafficked within the country for commercial sexual exploitation, primarily to Mexico and the United States; Guatemalan men, women, and children are also trafficked within the country, and to Mexico and the United States, for forced labor and no mention of the number of murders each year. Perhaps they still trying to find the bodies before they publish them.

Then even the yanks are happier than us in 22nd place after suffering with bush for the last 8 years and hundred of thousand being laid off work and losing their homes as well as high drug and crime figures there.

Earsly - tell my sister in law and her kids that she should be happy being british as having to cope with the murder of her husband before christmas and the crime taking place in a church yard!!!!

A large number of youths day dont give a monkeys about anyone but themselves and get totally out of their faces by drink or drug as a mean of escape from their lives. They then turn onto us working citizens as a mean to feed their habits by mugging us or burgularing our homes and I certainly glad that i dont go out at night and have to run into any gang that are now so prevelent in all towns and cities.

And when you hear them speak , oh my god what language are they speaking, its not english for sure!!!!! Im sure most members will agree that all you here them say is "like this" "Like" "like" and cannot form a sentance !!!!! it makes me cringe to think how our teachers can be in the same room as these individuals and deal with this day in day out.

Get us out of here asap ..............as I dont want to pay any higher taxes for crap services and made to feel like a 2nd class citizen in my birthplace and where all my ancestors where born.

Have your thought that perhaps this is why so many of us working tax payers are getting out of here and alot of us want to go down under or elsewhere???? I think there is a big plot by the government and bbc to put us off oz. Think about it .......when we go they both going to lose out from our taxes and licence fees.. So I'd rather not stay here any longer than facing another 30 years to pay of the last few months debt on top of what we paid before.

Well one good thing that you have to look forward to earlswood, is the government has just paid off our debt from world war II. Lucky you..

Great Britain is totally decimated and lost our national idenity and therefore britian has lost its great where we are concerned

Waiting for Vetassess April 09.

Who said anything about Brits being happier than Australians you fool…….and here are some more statistics,

List of ranked happiest countries by World Values Surveys « Colombia Passport: Economics, Society and Culture

Australia 22nd:cute:

Guest Midlanders

Thanks Andy for words of wishes my for sister in law

Yes its devistating but at least the murderer has been caught as soon will go on trial. A drug addict feeding his habit and my brother in law was an easy target. Excuse he just wanted to knock him out off balance and rob him....but not murder him. With an Iron bar as his weapon???? mmmm

Proves a point with society today.. and why all our family and all of his friends and elderly residents he cared for are not smiling...

Hopefully earlsy has read this section of my message as he just called me an idiot..!!!! Boy if he was in front of me now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest treesea

-Midlanders

That comment could equally have been made about Australia. Ask residents of the Gold Coast what they think of Australia's youth during schoolies week. Or how the residents of Kew felt, in Melbourne, to see their cars being trashed by students from a local private school (Xaviers). Or how the locals feel about the gang activity in Cabramatta, Marrickville and Campbelltown, three Sydney suburbs.

Australia isn't a paradise compared to Britain. It's just different.

Guest earlswood
Yes well if it does happen to me earlswood and by your reckoning it will probably happen in oz, i will be sure to tell everyone 300 times. andy

Yeh. good luck over there.

Earlswood you must know that Andy wasn't joking about the fact of a knife threat, but the fact that you post the information in almost every thread.

We all know there is crime everywhere and I'm sure if you took a straw poll of all PiO members you would have some startling statistics.

We all know you didn't like Northbridge, but I don't think we need to hear about it all the time. Giving your opinion is fine, but stating this incident constantly is getting a little wearing now.

Sue x

Guest earlswood
Thanks Andy for words of wishes my for sister in law

Yes its devistating but at least the murderer has been caught as soon will go on trial. A drug addict feeding his habit and my brother in law was an easy target. Excuse he just wanted to knock him out off balance and rob him....but not murder him. With an Iron bar as his weapon???? mmmm

Proves a point with society today.. and why all our family and all of his friends and elderly residents he cared for are not smiling...

Hopefully earlsy has read this section of my message as he just called me an idiot..!!!! Boy if he was in front of me now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

World wide problem with crime these days and Australia is no different, it is worse over there in my opinion as I have witnessed it twice in two years....but you can only go by your own experiences cant you.

Guest earlswood
-Midlanders

That comment could equally have been made about Australia. Ask residents of the Gold Coast what they think of Australia's youth during schoolies week. Or how the residents of Kew felt, in Melbourne, to see their cars being trashed by students from a local private school (Xaviers). Or how the locals feel about the gang activity in Cabramatta, Marrickville and Campbelltown, three Sydney suburbs.

Australia isn't a paradise compared to Britain. It's just different.

Thanks....some balance at last.

Actually it IS GREAT!

I live right on the edge of London next to a 180 acre Park-totlly unspoilt in the 25 years I have lived here since I "emigrated" from the heart of London-STILL one of the 2 most vibrant Cities in the World.

I have devoted much of the last year to returning to London and if you "use" London its fantastic!..The diversity of people and CHOICE is endless whether it be Restaurants/Cinema/Theatre/Sport/Casino's etc...as you would expect with 7/8 million residents.Its impossible to experience all London's charms in ONE lifetime!

If one prefers a more "traditional" way of British Life then The Home Counties are right on the doorstep.Last week we walked the 10 miles around Lewes,Sussex-this week it will be the beautiful "Seven Sisters" Hills near Beachy Head in January and its NOT that cold at all!....

I have endless fields/woods/meadows/parks within a 10-mile Radius.

Easy access by train or car back to London(half-hour to Trafalgar Square) and yet have the wondrous County of Kent(The Garden Of England) on my doorstep within 10 minutes drive the other way!

My house(3-bedroom) costs less than 190,000K...in the 25 years of living in Bexley I have witnessed ONE crazy Guy,personally and heard of ONE Burglary in my road of 200 homes--IN 25 YEARS!...

ENGLAND and BRITAIN IS STILL GREAT .....

Spring and the Bluebells/Primroses/Daffodils are just round the corner in this VERY "Green and Pleasant Land"....:biggrin:

p.s Out TV is still very good,in the main,as well....

Bexley..

My neck of the woods:cool:

Guest wingywangwoo

I think after reading this post, i now know knife crime happens in the uk and oz and all over the world, Something that i think we all knew already, So why are you all still continuing to back bite and be threatning, Just give it up and drop it..

Enough is enough don't you think!!!!!!!!!!

John

Archived