travelling via dubai or singapore with young children

Guest graham c

Guest graham c

Hi, we are just about to book our flights to melbourne and we have a split decision, emirates and singapore seem about the same price, time etc., however we have two young boys, one who is decidely energetic.

I'm not sure whether to do the longer leg to singapore first or have a relativley short flight to dubai and the bulk of the flying time on the second leg.

We will not be stopping over just changing planes as we will be on a permanent visa, does anyone have any experiences of flying with young children

many thanks Graham

Guest Cane Family

Hi,

Went last May to Brisbane, via Abu Dhabi & Singapore.

7.5 hours to Abu Dhabi then a 2 hour wait for next flight to Singapore, 1 hour change over in Singapore to Brisbane. This seemed ok as we got a chance to stretch our legs.

UK - Singapore some 14 hours straight then again from Singapore to Oz, long time i feel.

One tip i do have though, if you buy any bottles from UK ensure they put them in sealed bags, as we left manchester with 2 bottles had them taken off us at Singapore as they where not in sealed bags, even though we did not leave the airport or the departures area....

Regards

we done glasgow to dubai then touch down in singapore then to brisbane with emirates which was good as it felt more like 3x7hr flights instead of one long one, i would check with emirates if your flight touches down in singapore? it usually does to refuel as often their flights go onto auckland and also we were informed its something to do with australian aviation law the plane must land in singapore?

Guest Cane Family
we done glasgow to dubai then touch down in singapore then to brisbane with emirates which was good as it felt more like 3x7hr flights instead of one long one, i would check with emirates if your flight touches down in singapore? it usually does to refuel as often their flights go onto auckland and also we were informed its something to do with australian aviation law the plane must land in singapore?

I agree, 3 x 7.5 sounds less that 2 x 14 (even if the maths is more) :biglaugh:

Hi Graham

We flew Emirates with 2 hypers! It honestly wasn`t as bad as I was expecting.

5 year old boy hardly moved and played console games and watched films all on the back of the seat.

2 and a half yr girl messed about in the galley with the staff!!

They are very child friendly. Food was good and lots of free bits for them. All the other passengers were very understanding as most of them had done the trip with kids themselves before.

I recommend Boots travel sickness tabs. They work as a mild sedative as well, and just took that nutty edge off!!!

Good luck

Sue x

IMHO it really doesnt matter, it is going to be the 24 hours from hell anyway so whichever is the shorter:biglaugh: No really, it wont be that bad and the long leg to S'pore isnt usually too bad especially if you get a flight that leaves late in the evening - you and the kids will be so knackered that you will sleep most of the leg anyway.

Flown with my own kids many times from 12 weeks and up (usually on my own) and just about to do the return with my granddaughter (18 months) - I dont have any qualms about it at all. I would tend to use the refuelling stop to get the kids to run like banshees up and down the deserted parts of the concourse and then they will probably be either glued to spongebob squarepants on the entertainment system or fast asleep for most of the next leg.

I flew over in mid December on my own with my 2 boys who are 7 and 3. I wasn't worried about the elder one as I knew he would be fine but was dreading the journey with my 3 year old as I wondered how I would keep him entertained/keep him sitting for such a long journey. He is very strong willed!

Our journey started with a 5.30am check in at Aberdeen airport. Off to Heathrow for a Singapore Airways flight at 10.50am. From here we flew to Singapore and by the time we landed and they had got us off following a problem with the door we only had 1 hour (should have been 2) until our onward flight to Perth. During the entire journey my 3 year old had 2 hours sleep at the end of the Singapore leg and my 7 year old had 3 hours on the Perth leg. I can honestly say that the whole experience with Singapore Airlines was fantastic. They could not have done enough for the children. From children's meals, extra drinks and snacks when the children wanted them, helping when my eldest had a nose bleed - I would use them again. My husband couldn't believe how relaxed I was when I got to Perth. I guess what I am trying to say is that I was dreading the journey but my children made me very proud. The worst part was at Heathrow when I had to collect our cases and move between terminals (not enough hands to push the trolley, hold a 3 year old, etc).

Before we left the UK we were seeing a Homeopath and she gave us something to help with motion sickness/jet lag. If your interested PM me and I will tell you what it is called. None of us suffered from jet lag. The children did take a week or so to be going to bed at a decent time but were going down at 9pm ish and sleeping all night right off.

Hope this helps.

Guest graham c

Thanks for all the info, its very reassuring. Has anyone used the Pool at Changi Airport or am I really getting ideas above my station?

thanks graham

Thanks for all the info, its very reassuring. Has anyone used the Pool at Changi Airport or am I really getting ideas above my station?

thanks graham

Did not use the pool mate but used the showers, bloody marvellous very refreshing and cheap as is the use of the pool. I just sent oh shopin whilst i watched the foty with a beer. The snap (food ) is very good at Changi and cheap but you get fed to bust on the plane

Mally

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nikki87
Did not use the pool mate but used the showers, bloody marvellous very refreshing and cheap as is the use of the pool. I just sent oh shopin whilst i watched the foty with a beer. The snap (food ) is very good at Changi and cheap but you get fed to bust on the plane

Mally

hi. do you have to book to use the showers and how much approx is it? flying singapore airlines a week on monday. that would be ideal. thanks

Hi!

We did 18.30 flight with Singapore with 7 hours in Singapore Airport. We did use the pool and it was fantastic. Both girls (5 & just 7 at the time) slept most of the way to Singapore then had a couple of hours swimming and a couple more exploring around the airport. Then they both slept the rest of the way to Melbourne. It was amazing. Really recommend the pool bit, weather was perfect and it was an experience. Arrived 6.15 Monday morning ready to start our new lives.

Emma

Hi Graham, We flew with our 2 boys aged 17 months and 4 years to Perth via Singapore in November. I was concerned about how we would cope on such long flights, but I needn't have worried. We were travelling to Heathrow from Devon, so had a long car journey before we even got on the plane. Found an indoor play centre en route and stopped for a couple of hours so the boys could tear around like loons and wear themselves out. Our flight left at 9.15pm, so the boys were exhausted by that time and our youngest has a screaming fit before we boarded. That was the worst bit as everyone was looking at us in horrer I guess praying that they would not be near us on board!! Ethan has never ever screamed like that before and was completely inconsolable, poor thing. Anyway we gave him and Charlie a dose of Medised and the staff let us through to sit near the plane, away from the other passengers. We boarded first and both boys were asleep before the plane started moving and slept for most of the flight.

When we got to Singapore we had a 3 hour wait until our next flight and we found a little play area, which was fantastic, they were able to climb, slide etc.

We got back on the plane and they slept for most of the next flight too!!!! Couldn't believe our luck. When the eldest was awake, he was content to watch flims, kids tv etc. Me and the hubby actually managed to get a couple of decent sleeps and arrived relatively refreshed.

A couple of years ago we flew with Emirates and stopped at Dubai, which was lovely, but nothing for kids that we found. We would definately fly via Singapore again.......

Hope this helps and good luck!!! I am sure you will be fine and will wonder what you were worried about!

Amanda

We have flown with both Emirates and singapore with our daughter to Perth. 1st time she was 2 and a half and was with singapore airlines, they were fab, kept bring gifts and toys, nothing too much trouble. she was too young to watch a film but travelled great. 2nd time was with emirates and she was nearly 4. They were also really good but I think Singapore has the edge with the kids, especiallly with kids toys. However, i personally would go with Emirates cos the 15 hr flight from uk via singapore is a killer!

At least going via Dubai its nearly half way!

We have flown with both Emirates and singapore with our daughter to Perth. 1st time she was 2 and a half and was with singapore airlines, they were fab, kept bring gifts and toys, nothing too much trouble. she was too young to watch a film but travelled great. 2nd time was with emirates and she was nearly 4. They were also really good but I think Singapore has the edge with the kids, especiallly with kids toys. However, i personally would go with Emirates cos the 15 hr flight from uk via singapore is a killer!

At least going via Dubai its nearly half way!

#

Hang on here mate have to do me maths Singapore 12 hours or 13 second leg 5 hours emirates you get the short bit 7 hours then a 13 hours dont know where your info is from you can only do soingapore 12 or 13 hours on a 457 would have love to do it direct but was not available

Mally

Guest rubydoo

Hi i would not worry at all, we have flown a few time to Perth with 2 children now 7 and 3 and they were fine,we found that doing the long flight first works as long as its in the evening, because we all slept for most of the way, and then the second flight isnt so bad if your lucky they will sleep again!!!!!!! We have flown with Emirates and thai air and found they were both fine except thia air does not have the person tvs...

xxxxx Safe trip

We've done UK-Brisbane (and the other way) several times with a bouncy boy who's now 4 but starting when he was about 18 months. We've not found a big difference in the different lengths of the "legs" but HAVE found it easier if you leave the UK in the evening so it's dark quickly (and this also tends to make the onward trip usually after dark as well.

Now, controversially, we asked our doctor about the having the lad on a long-haul flight...he was also a world traveller and recommended/prescribed something called Vallergan. A few ml of this at dinner time (exact does as prescribed by weight) and our lad sleeps gently until we wake him for breakfast. We also use it sparingly to help him over jetlag and he suffers less than the rest of us!

The only other comment I'd make is that, though it's probably luck of the draw, we've always had good like with the flight attendants on Emirates being really good with children...they seem to put some extra effort into making a fuss over him and he really looks forward to flying because of that.

Hope this helps,

Bobbsy

I've got a couple of hyper-actives, and I tested Phenergan on another flight.

BIG mistake - they were kicking screaming nutters. It affects each child differently. I wouldn't use it again on my children. I'd reccomend trying it out before you fly to see their reaction.

I asked my doctor about it and was told that if I wrote a letter I may be able to get Diazepam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone told me about travel sickness tablets from Boots, which act as a mild sedative as well - so two birds with one stone!!

It worked a treat, took 20 minutes to work, was very subtle but took the edge off the loonyness.

But on the whole it wasn't as bad as I'd expected.

Good luck.

Sue x

Absolutely, try Phenergan before you go because it hypes some kids up horribly and you do not want to discover that on an aeroplane! However, it is a good motion sickness remedy and you dont want to have a kid sick all over you on take off either. You cant actually use Phenergan on kids under two these days.

Although Phenergan doesn't make ours hyperactive, the sedative effect is fairly slight. Vallergan is a prescription-only medicine in the UK but, as I say was recommended by our GP as what he uses himself. Certainly, for our lad at least, it was a miracle worker. Indeed, the doctor actually said it also works (in a much bigger dose) on adults, though I haven't tried that for myself. I'm a "good sleeper" when flying.

Bobbsy

Hi all

we have made the trip quite a few times now and I do think it is luck of the draw with airlines although singapore are fantastic if you can make it that far....just some other tips that might help are

1. becareful with your carry on luggage although you are allocated carry on for the kids (which we used) what we didn't take into consideration is that the kids couldn't actually carry it so oh and i ended up being pack mules which is fine once you are in the air but on stop over etc it can be difficult especially with under 3's who may also need carrying. (if you leave the plane you have to take everything with you)

2.there are quite a few websites out there giving advice on travelling with children I found those written by people from the uk were better than usa its all well and good to take a surprise present for every hour of the journey if you are i the air for 4 hours but 24 is another story not realistic.

3.don't worry about crying etc in small children the noise of the plane hides a lot and also as uncomfortable as it is bare in mind you will not see these people again so what ever gets you through.

4. if those lovely men and women come around with the drinks trolley have one nothing like a g&t to take the edge off.

good luck

Guest proud2beaussie
1. becareful with your carry on luggage although you are allocated carry on for the kids (which we used) what we didn't take into consideration is that the kids couldn't actually carry it so oh and i ended up being pack mules which is fine once you are in the air but on stop over etc it can be difficult especially with under 3's who may also need carrying. (if you leave the plane you have to take everything with you)

Also don't forget that all infants and children are given a 10kg checked baggage allowance (each) as well as the carry on so if you don't need it for the kids on the flight have it put in the hold.

• 5 months later...
Guest cheeks100

Hi there,

looking for advice.

I am flying to Sydney from Birmingham via Dubai in August, with just 3 hours between connecting flight (wanted to get travel over and done with as soon as possible. I will be a lone female traveller.

My husband and 2 daughters (13 and 8) will meet me in Brisbane a week later then travel back to uk via Dubai a few weeks later.

I havent done this before. Starting to panic. Any advice much appreciated particulalry what to expect at Dubai and what the transition between flights will be like. Also panicing about missing connection.

regards

cheeks

Archived