Guest James.S

Guest fatpom
It depends what reports you listen too about the whole trade situation. Yes the mines are slowing down but they still are producing so there are people in work. The unemployment has just jumped to 5.7% about 35,000 lost there jobs in the whole of Oz last month but that's accross the whole board, it no where near the 2 million unemployed in the UK. Also what isn't reported is that the last quarter of last year the construction industry grew at a record rate, also of all areas the government predict will not slow down and / or be the first to pick up after the crisis the construction industry is one of them. The bottom line is Oz is still expanding and growing but they do not have the infrustructure or housing, that's why i feel the construction trades off the CSL will just be a temporary measure...

Two million unemployed in 60 million is 3.3%. Proportionately lower than Australias 5.7%... which is a bit of a surprise? They tell us that the UK is suffering more from the world recession... but then they would wouldn't they? :smile:

The Australian economy is no longer expanding or growing. It is said recession is a certainty if its not already the case. It all depends on which quuarter contraction is believed to have started.

Guest steve the spark
Two million unemployed in 60 million is 3.3%. Proportionately lower than Australias 5.7%... which is a bit of a surprise? They tell us that the UK is suffering more from the world recession... but then they would wouldn't they? :smile:

The Australian economy is no longer expanding or growing. It is said recession is a certainty if its not already the case. It all depends on which quuarter contraction is believed to have started.

surley your not inferring that the au gov and press would tell porkies to the people

Guest James.S

If only everything in life could be that simple.... employment rates are a percentage of the working population not the population as a whole... according to national statistics for the uk: National Statistics Online the actual unemployment rate is 6.5%... considerably higher that the Oz rate... and it's expected to get a lot worse too...

Even if the economy in Australia is stagnating it is still far behind the contracted state of the UK economy and is far better positioned to pull through the down turn from a banking and trade perspective..

Thanks for your comments anyway fatpom..

James...

:jimlad:

Guest fatpom
If only everything in life could be that simple.... employment rates are a percentage of the working population not the population as a whole... according to national statistics for the uk: National Statistics Online the actual unemployment rate is 6.5%... considerably higher that the Oz rate... and it's expected to get a lot worse too...

Even if the economy in Australia is stagnating it is still far behind the contracted state of the UK economy and is far better positioned to pull through the down turn from a banking and trade perspective..

Thanks for your comments anyway fatpom..

James...

Yes! fair point. I now recall the Thatcher gov change the calculation 19 times in 17 years. Come to think of it I wouldn't have a clue what basis the Aus gov calcs unemployment. I suppose the problem starts when pollies and economists are trusted with raw data that doesn't fit the message too well. :smile:

Its generally agreed that Aus is probably going to suffer less than the UK. In fact they're saying that the UK will be hit harder than the US.

We shall see?

Guest The Rustys
If I had had a crystal ball then i would have put my application in 2 months earlier and then we wouldn't have a problem..!

It depends what reports you listen too about the whole trade situation. Yes the mines are slowing down but they still are producing so there are people in work. The unemployment has just jumped to 5.7% about 35,000 lost there jobs in the whole of Oz last month but that's accross the whole board, it no where near the 2 million unemployed in the UK. Also what isn't reported is that the last quarter of last year the construction industry grew at a record rate, also of all areas the government predict will not slow down and / or be the first to pick up after the crisis the construction industry is one of them. The bottom line is Oz is still expanding and growing but they do not have the infrustructure or housing, that's why i feel the construction trades off the CSL will just be a temporary measure...

One of the reasons for us jumping at the beginnning of this year is the fact that we wanted our son to start school at the start of year 1... The principle was very understanding of our situation and is kindly classing my son as a local resident for the 1st semester...

Given that you both have good secure jobs maybe patients will be the best choice.... damn frustrating though...!

All the best,

James..

Thanks James - as always much appreciated

We may do 'the leap' at the end of the year for similar reasons. Our daughter will be starting year 10, so we cant really leave it much longer for her Education etc

In the meantime, I hope things get sorted for you and yours very quickly..

Good Luck

Excellent positive thinking James,I agree with you about the construction industry in Aussie, also the slowdown in the mines will be temporary hopefully - a few of my mates already in Aus seem to think the same, that the recession will be less felt in Aus than in Europe & the UK...all because of a few w.. err...bankers hey?

Guest shar07

I love positive thinking, we are doing a reccie to Perth in June and going to have a look at some jobs etc, we too would like to move before Sept as my eldest goes into yr 9 and really do not want to leave it longer. Other small small problem, have to sell the house :arghh: Lets have some more positive thinking :yes: please.

Guest James.S
I love positive thinking, we are doing a reccie to Perth in June and going to have a look at some jobs etc, we too would like to move before Sept as my eldest goes into yr 9 and really do not want to leave it longer. Other small small problem, have to sell the house :arghh: Lets have some more positive thinking :yes: please.

We'll positive thinking is always the best place to start...

Just focus on what you want and feel that it's already a done deal...by giving all that attention to it you will create it.. don't give all of the problems and challenges too much attention....

Your house will sell as and when you nee it too.... the question is, when do you really need it too..?

James...

ARTC help

Hi this is my story so far. Promised an electrical position for a company in adelaide on a 457 sponsored visa two years ago, was told i need to get over to australia as it will only take 4-6 weeks to process visa. I therfore gave up my £35k electrical job in the uk sold my house my car all my goods said goodbye to my family and freinds and also my best freind my parrot. Came to OZ waiting for my visa and to start work,only to be told the job position had been put back 6 months so the visa application was put on hold. Went back to the uk when my tourist visa ran out. Started the application for the 175 skilled visa to the point where i was just about to pay the fee only to be told by the company in oz wanted me there yesturday to start work and told me to drop the 175 visa application (didnt know at the time you could have more than one application at a time) Anyway came back to oz to find that the company was having problems getting the 457 visa sponsorship. So ive been waiting and waiting and decided to just put in for the 457 as im 45 in may 2009. Prior to coming to australia i took all my C&G exams 2360 2381 2391 etc i then took the AS300o exam in adelaide have got my TRA. I now have been told i have to either sit an exam or be questioned over the phone to get my ARTC because i havent done an apprenticeship . Even though i have 25 years experiance and taken the same exams as you would have doing the apprenticeship. So far it has cost me $100000 in flights lost wages exam courses etc. I still cant work and getting so fed up with the amount of hassle just to work over here, and i miss my parrot lol. So please can anyone who has either taken the ARTC exam or have been asked the questions over the phone give me an idea whats invloved would appreciate it thankyou spike

Guest steve the spark
ARTC help

Hi this is my story so far. Promised an electrical position for a company in adelaide on a 457 sponsored visa two years ago, was told i need to get over to australia as it will only take 4-6 weeks to process visa. I therfore gave up my £35k electrical job in the uk sold my house my car all my goods said goodbye to my family and freinds and also my best freind my parrot. Came to OZ waiting for my visa and to start work,only to be told the job position had been put back 6 months so the visa application was put on hold. Went back to the uk when my tourist visa ran out. Started the application for the 175 skilled visa to the point where i was just about to pay the fee only to be told by the company in oz wanted me there yesturday to start work and told me to drop the 175 visa application (didnt know at the time you could have more than one application at a time) Anyway came back to oz to find that the company was having problems getting the 457 visa sponsorship. So ive been waiting and waiting and decided to just put in for the 457 as im 45 in may 2009. Prior to coming to australia i took all my C&G exams 2360 2381 2391 etc i then took the AS300o exam in adelaide have got my TRA. I now have been told i have to either sit an exam or be questioned over the phone to get my ARTC because i havent done an apprenticeship . Even though i have 25 years experiance and taken the same exams as you would have doing the apprenticeship. So far it has cost me $100000 in flights lost wages exam courses etc. I still cant work and getting so fed up with the amount of hassle just to work over here, and i miss my parrot lol. So please can anyone who has either taken the ARTC exam or have been asked the questions over the phone give me an idea whats invloved would appreciate it thankyou spike

hi there one of the guys on british expats electrical forum posted a list of all the questions he was asked for his artc telephone test, the sites off line at the moment for updating so i`ll have a look ina couple of hours and post his q & a list

regards steve

artc test link

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=451937

Guest yarck

Hi Guys

I have just joined and this is my first post. I sat vetassess test recently for "General Electrician".

The test went well initially,

Started with multi-choice questions,:biggrin:

Practical skills test

Safe isolation

Inspection and testing

Wire a dol motor control circuit?:arghh: This is where I came unstuck,given that its mainly domestic I have worked on I struggled here and blanked.

I have to say though that I had read a few horror stories about assessors but the guy we had was spot on, He was strict but not out to trip anyone up, he also gave some very informative advise on what to do when we reach Aus.

Can anyone give some practical help on motor circuits so I can study for resit?

Guest steve the spark
Hi Guys

I have just joined and this is my first post. I sat vetassess test recently for "General Electrician".

The test went well initially,

Started with multi-choice questions,:biggrin:

Practical skills test

Safe isolation

Inspection and testing

Wire a dol motor control circuit?:arghh: This is where I came unstuck,given that its mainly domestic I have worked on I struggled here and blanked.

I have to say though that I had read a few horror stories about assessors but the guy we had was spot on, He was strict but not out to trip anyone up, he also gave some very informative advise on what to do when we reach Aus.

Can anyone give some practical help on motor circuits so I can study for resit?

i`ve posted heaps of info here mate

practical exam theory : British Expat Discussion Forum

regards steve

Guest yarck

Thanks Steve,

I will spend time studying that info, think in all honesty I need to study hard as am having trouble transfering from drawings to application:no:.

This probably sounds bad but I have only ever done the wiring and connection according to detailed drawings.

hi there one of the guys on british expats electrical forum posted a list of all the questions he was asked for his artc telephone test, the sites off line at the moment for updating so i`ll have a look ina couple of hours and post his q & a list

regards steve

artc test link

ARTC trade interview. : British Expat Discussion Forum[

cheers steve the spark thats a great help ill check it out and hope i can warm up the brain cells thanks again spike

Guest Daz & Claire
hi james,

after reading ur post i decided to hold back my visa app. for the time being.i feel all is not well in oz.we all pray for the early release of ur visa.

esthapan.

Hi, Sorry to hear your holding back your app, but i think you may be wrong about all not being well in OZ. I,m Informed that there is still plenty of work there its just that you can't be to choosey at the moment.

I have been searching the different websites in oz regarding what route to take once you arrive. I have gone done the vetassess route in the uk as i'm 1 year short of 7 for TRA.

However I've discovered that EE-oz TRAINING STANDARDS- POST VETASSESS (www.ee-oz.com.au) gives the guidelines that should be followed once you register with The department of employment and industrial Relations. They in turn give you a tempory licence whilst you obtain the relevant Australian GAP- TRAINING.

Once you find a job you and your emloyer register for E-profiling (www.eprofiling.com.au) This involves completing an on-line log book. This should take about 180 hours to complete the relevant jobs, abit like our NVQ system. The aim is complete if before 6 Months. Once completed you obtain a full licence.

The only problem i can see is that you need to find a employer willing to allow this training route. The other thing as far as i can tell is that you can't do anything this side to speed things up.

Hope this info helps.

Still sorting through it myself, if any one else can look and clarify any of this I would much appriciate it.

Daz

p.s. Booked our flights for June 16th we can't wait, so excited now, furniture being collected on monday.:jiggy:

Guest neil the spark

HI Guys

Just wondering if anyone knows is there a difference between the A licence and a contractors licence if so what the differences are

Cheers Neil

When I done my VETASSESS I was speaking to the assessor and he said that you need to have a A Licence to work on your own as a spark but to be paid legaly you need the contractors Licence too. Not 100% what the contactor licence is but I think it may be the same as our CIS card in the UK.

HI Guys

Just wondering if anyone knows is there a difference between the A licence and a contractors licence if so what the differences are

Cheers Neil

Guest Daz & Claire
When I done my VETASSESS I was speaking to the assessor and he said that you need to have a A Licence to work on your own as a spark but to be paid legaly you need the contractors Licence too. Not 100% what the contactor licence is but I think it may be the same as our CIS card in the UK.

Contractors licence is the same as being self employed, similary you need liability insurance etc,

I think class A licence is along the lines of a tech. Not too sure.

We have electrical Mechanic and electrical fitter licences. As far as i can tell us sparks from the UK cover both of the above areas so we should opt for the combined licence of Electrical Mechanic/Fitter. There is a good description of what type of work is required on the department of trade website.

Daz

Below is some useful links

NEW SOUTH WALES

Office of Fair Trading

Tel: 61+ 2 9895 0111

Fax: 61+ 2 9895 0222

Victoria

Energy Safe Victoria

Tel:61+ 3 9203 9700

Fax: 61+3 9686 2197

Email: info@esv.vic.gov.au

Queensland

Electrical Safety Office

Department of Employment and Industrial Relations

Tel: 61+ 7 3225 2000

Fax: 61+ 7 3247 9453

South Australia

Office of Consumer and Business Affairs

Tel: 61 + 8 8204 9696

Fax: 61 + 8 8204 9697

Email: pge.bos@agd.sa.gov.au

Western

Australia

Energy Safety

Department of Consumer and Employment Protection

Tel: 61+8 9422 5282

Fax: 61+ 8 9422 5222

Email: energylicensing@docep.wa.gov.au

Tasmania Electricity Standards and Safety

Workplace Standards Tasmania

Tel: 61+ 3 6233 7831

Fax: 61+ 3 6233 8338

Email: wstinfo@justice.tas.gov.au

Capital Territory

ACT Planning and Land Authority

Tel: 61+ 2 6207 1923

www.actpla.act.gov.au/customer_information/industry

Northern

Territory

Electrical Licensing Board

Tel: 61 + 8 8999 5516

Fax: 61+ 8 8999 5141

Email: ewclb.lpe@nt.gov.au

Permit Carry out electrical installation work under

supervision in order to undertake Australian

context gap training.

Note 1: Issued only to persons assessed against the Electrotechnology Training Package and issued an Offshore Technical Skills Record for Certificate III in

Electrotechnology Electrician

Guest steve the spark
HI Guys

Cheers Neil

A licence is the term for a licenced "general" sparkie in victoria

in SA its electrical workers licence and in QLD its electrical mechanics licence

all one and the same thing not to be confused with an electical fitters licence, fitters cannot work on anything conected to the mains ( most fitters are maintainance electricians )

for a full explanation see

Classes of licences

a contactors licence is required to run your own contracting business ie quote for, supply labour and materials ( its not required if you just want to subbie / be self employed for a bigger company for that you only need your electrical licence and an ABN ( aussi business number )

Guest steve the spark
Hi, Sorry to hear your holding back your app, but i think you may be wrong about all not being well in OZ. I,m Informed that there is still plenty of work there its just that you can't be to choosey at the moment.

I have been searching the different websites in oz regarding what route to take once you arrive. I have gone done the vetassess route in the uk as i'm 1 year short of 7 for TRA.

However I've discovered that EE-oz TRAINING STANDARDS- POST VETASSESS (www.ee-oz.com.au) gives the guidelines that should be followed once you register with The department of employment and industrial Relations. They in turn give you a tempory licence whilst you obtain the relevant Australian GAP- TRAINING.

Once you find a job you and your emloyer register for E-profiling (www.eprofiling.com.au) This involves completing an on-line log book. This should take about 180 hours to complete the relevant jobs, abit like our NVQ system. The aim is complete if before 6 Months. Once completed you obtain a full licence.

The only problem i can see is that you need to find a employer willing to allow this training route. The other thing as far as i can tell is that you can't do anything this side to speed things up.

Hope this info helps.

Still sorting through it myself, if any one else can look and clarify any of this I would much appriciate it.

Daz

p.s. Booked our flights for June 16th we can't wait, so excited now, furniture being collected on monday.:jiggy:

i love it when people living in the uk tell us how theres "loads of work" in aus

i must tell some of the lads who have been here for up to six months with no work that they are been too choosey

as for licencing and working on a log book your dreaming

prior to the current problems it was bloody hard to get anyone to employ you with a permit to work and a log book now i would say its almost impossible

therefore the best solution to the licencing problem is as follows

once you have your visa apply for an artc from the tra link below

workplace.gov.au - FAQ - for Australian residents

at the same time apply to peer in SA to do the wiring course via correspondance

Peer Veet > Training > Overseas Enquiry

once you arrive here armed with your artc arrange to go to peer in SA ( adelaide ) and do your electrical wiring exam thisis usually done over three days two fro swatting up and the exam on the third day

once youve passed apply for a SA electrical workers licence ( do it whilst your there its near peer )

when it arrives ussally witin two to three weeks you can either work as a fully licenced electician on the SA licence or exacahge it at your locel electrical safety office for a licence for the state where you reside under the recipical agreement

qld version Interstate and New Zealand applicants (mutual recognition)

masses of info for sparkies here too on BE

Electricians : British Expat Discussion Forum

hope this clears some points up and helps

regards steve

Guest steve the spark
Excellent positive thinking James,I agree with you about the construction industry in Aussie, also the slowdown in the mines will be temporary hopefully - a few of my mates already in Aus seem to think the same, that the recession will be less felt in Aus than in Europe & the UK...all because of a few w.. err...bankers hey?

rod its a world reccession not a uk or european reccession all ths talk of aus will be better off than other countries is bull

unemployent here is going up just as fast as in the uk what makes it harder over here is that you wont have any contacts -- if i was in the uk i`d have several builders electrical contractors and even the guys at cef etc to ask has anyone got any work

over here your f**ked relying on the papers & internet ;)

O and your english accent when you cold call wont do you any favours iether,

i`m not suggesting that you dont come just that you be realistic about things

regards steve

Guest Daz & Claire
i love it when people living in the uk tell us how theres "loads of work" in aus

i must tell some of the lads who have been here for up to six months with no work that they are been too choosey

as for licencing and working on a log book your dreaming

prior to the current problems it was bloody hard to get anyone to employ you with a permit to work and a log book now i would say its almost impossible

therefore the best solution to the licencing problem is as follows

once you have your visa apply for an artc from the tra link below

workplace.gov.au - FAQ - for Australian residents

at the same time apply to peer in SA to do the wiring course via correspondance

Peer Veet > Training > Overseas Enquiry

once you arrive here armed with your artc arrange to go to peer in SA ( adelaide ) and do your electrical wiring exam thisis usually done over three days two fro swatting up and the exam on the third day

once youve passed apply for a SA electrical workers licence ( do it whilst your there its near peer )

when it arrives ussally witin two to three weeks you can either work as a fully licenced electician on the SA licence or exacahge it at your locel electrical safety office for a licence for the state where you reside under the recipical agreement

qld version Interstate and New Zealand applicants (mutual recognition)

masses of info for sparkies here too on BE

Electricians : British Expat Discussion Forum

hope this clears some points up and helps

regards steve

Steve

i'm not trying to be smart or bury my in the sand. What i meant by being choosey is that if you need to pay the rent, then get some other type of work until things improve.

And hopefully they will.

Great information about TRA route but as my previous post says, i've only done the vetassess route, and this was because i haven't got 7 years experience as required by TRA.

Have the guys who have been out of work got thier full licence? And what type of work are they looking for, domestic/commercial or industrial?.

I'm mainly domestic and the jobs that i see advertised on the web seem mainly aimed at industrial sparks, I'm heading for north Brisbane and as your from this area can you clarify whether its as bad as you say.

Cheers Daz

Guest steve the spark
Steve

i'm not trying to be smart or bury my in the sand. What i meant by being choosey is that if you need to pay the rent, then get some other type of work until things improve.

And hopefully they will.

Great information about TRA route but as my previous post says, i've only done the vetassess route, and this was because i haven't got 7 years experience as required by TRA.

Have the guys who have been out of work got thier full licence? And what type of work are they looking for, domestic/commercial or industrial?.

I'm mainly domestic and the jobs that i see advertised on the web seem mainly aimed at industrial sparks, I'm heading for north Brisbane and as your from this area can you clarify whether its as bad as you say.

Cheers Daz

even the menial jobs are diffcult to get mate we are constantly hearing of shop assitants bunnings etc postions been inudated with applications

the 7 yrs experiance is only relavant if your not qualifed daz, if that is the case then you are stuck with a permit to train and a log book

if your heading brissie way the best person for advice info etc would be chris at qet

http://www.qet.edu.au/

chris runs his own rto ( recognised training organisation ) hes an ex qld electrical safty officer and ex qld electrical inspector and ex tafe ( tafe = college ) teacher

is it really that bad ??? have thes guys got licences yes and yes

i think it is mate,

have a trawl through BE`s electrical forum you`ll soon get a clearer picture

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97

whats made it worse is that some of the mines have laid of lots of sparkies by that i mean 100, 200 at a time and the influx has shot the job market

hope this helps

regards steve

ps have alook here

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=605097

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=603936