Guest James.S

Hi everyone this all sounds a bit confusing my situation is i am a qualified electrician 27 years experiance and was told june 2008 to rush over to australia for to start a job i was offerd. The job offer was a sponsored visa 457 so i managed to arrive in oz in sept. To cut a long story short i still havent had my visa through and the company offering the job offer keep telling me that immigration need more information. I have been assesed by TRA and have passed that i also have passed the AS/3000 wiring regs with PEER in adelaide and told it covers all australia. This is my problem i am 45 in may this year so do i wait to see if my 457 comes through or do i forget about it and go for a visa down a different route im sure it doesnt take 9 months to get a 457 visa ill be retired by the time it comes through lol anyone advise thanks spike

Guest James.S
Hi everyone this all sounds a bit confusing my situation is i am a qualified electrician 27 years experiance and was told june 2008 to rush over to australia for to start a job i was offerd. The job offer was a sponsored visa 457 so i managed to arrive in oz in sept. To cut a long story short i still havent had my visa through and the company offering the job offer keep telling me that immigration need more information. I have been assesed by TRA and have passed that i also have passed the AS/3000 wiring regs with PEER in adelaide and told it covers all australia. This is my problem i am 45 in may this year so do i wait to see if my 457 comes through or do i forget about it and go for a visa down a different route im sure it doesnt take 9 months to get a 457 visa ill be retired by the time it comes through lol anyone advise thanks spike

Hi Spike,

I would have thought that given the changes with the whole CSL thing you are pretty much priority as far as visa is concerened with only state sponserd above you (correct me someone if i'm wrong.!), if so then just hang in there, maybe get your visa agent to contact the immigration dept to push things along if at all possible, i would not think changing your vissa type would make things any quicker....

Good luck,

James...

:jimlad:

Hi again all the confusion about getting your A-class licence all i know is that when i took the AS/3000 regs in Adelaide there were two guys there one from brisbane and one from perth and they came to adelaide for the reason that if you take it there you can use that certificate to get your A-class. I had a good chat with them and they came down with there ARTC cert and hoped they would pass that day and get there AS/3000 licence which they did and then went into adelaide city and got there A-Class that day Obviousley i havent got mine yet as from the previous thred im having visa troubles hope this helps thanks spike

Guest James.S
Hi again all the confusion about getting your A-class licence all i know is that when i took the AS/3000 regs in Adelaide there were two guys there one from brisbane and one from perth and they came to adelaide for the reason that if you take it there you can use that certificate to get your A-class. I had a good chat with them and they came down with there ARTC cert and hoped they would pass that day and get there AS/3000 licence which they did and then went into adelaide city and got there A-Class that day Obviousley i havent got mine yet as from the previous thred im having visa troubles hope this helps thanks spike

Hi yes that's great spike for all those with the ARTC but the main problem is for all of us who have gone down the Vetassess route....

James...

Guest leeob77
Hi yes that's great spike for all those with the ARTC but the main problem is for all of us who have gone down the Vetassess route....

James...

why not apply for an artc certificate and then you can bypass all this nonsense? ok its another $350 on top of what you have already paid but if it saves all this pain isnt it worth a shot? if you have your perm residency then what would stop you applying?

the vetassess had the potential to be a good thing in theory - but it just isnt working out on the other side.

really feel sorry for all you lads stuck in this situation.

lee.

Guest Mike&lou

I asked my visa agent about changing to artc and was told i could not, when we started the application she said that al applicants electricians must do vetasses now and no one is allowed to do artc any more,the only option she gave me is the AQF lv III but this is another 1500 dollars,they asses you in the uk. hopefully il have some answers on monday from the tafe in nsw on options available.

Guest leeob77

think you misunderstand what im trying to say. dont mean change to tra for visa skills assessment. as an australian resident you can apply to have your skills recognised by tra too. think of it this way. if you are an electrician who has migrated on someone elses skills (nurse etc) then you could apply for an artc at a later date by tra and get a certificate. when i did my peer course this is exactly what one of the lads had done.

the visa skills assessment by tra and the artc certificate from tra are two completely different things. a pass of the skills assessment for the visa only gave a positive result. it didnt get you an artc. you could only apply for this once you had been granted a visa and had evidence in your passport.

the way i see it you could be assessed by vetassess, apply for visa. get visa, apply for artc (to get you round all this vetassess red tape in oz), go to peer, get license.

this way the vetassess ostr would get you the visa and the artc would help speed up the license process.

anyone else reckon this might work?

lee.

Guest James.S
think you misunderstand what im trying to say. dont mean change to tra for visa skills assessment. as an australian resident you can apply to have your skills recognised by tra too. think of it this way. if you are an electrician who has migrated on someone elses skills (nurse etc) then you could apply for an artc at a later date by tra and get a certificate. when i did my peer course this is exactly what one of the lads had done.

the visa skills assessment by tra and the artc certificate from tra are two completely different things. a pass of the skills assessment for the visa only gave a positive result. it didnt get you an artc. you could only apply for this once you had been granted a visa and had evidence in your passport.

the way i see it you could be assessed by vetassess, apply for visa. get visa, apply for artc (to get you round all this vetassess red tape in oz), go to peer, get license.

this way the vetassess ostr would get you the visa and the artc would help speed up the license process.

lee.

Hi Lee,

Yes this definately would work and to be honest may be the best approach. It does seem daft to have to do the ARTC that is so similar to the Vetassess but at least it's a known quantity and in the end will probably work out a quicker route to getting licensed through PEER than through TAFE anyway... it might cost a bit more but what the heck..!

All the best & many thanks,

James...

Guest southerngent

I see no reason why artc cant be applied for from outside aus (providing you have visa)

http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplace/Pages/ContentPage.aspx?NRMODE=Published&NRORIGINALURL=/workplace/Programmes/TRA/2SkillsassessmentforAustralianRecognisedTradeCertificateARTC.htm&NRNODEGUID={9B95950D-7E05-4FBF-8C28-9A93F29A6823**&NRCACHEHINT=Guest#1

There is even details of payment if overseas on this page..

and for those who didn`t take the costly and lengthy vettacess route it is free.

sometimes it pays to keep things simple..

i though i had made a mistake going tra route, but now its looking the best option, i think???

Guest southerngent

just checked out the application for ARTC which includes the following statement.

If you are successful in your ARTC application and you reside in

Australia, you will be sent your ARTC. If not you will receive a letter

advising you will be issued your ARTC once you arrive in Australia

and hold a visa allowing you to work. TRA do not issue ARTCs to

applicants who reside overseas or are ineligible to work in

Australia.

This would suggest you could apply and be granted the ARTC before even recieving you visa, only having to collect your certificate once you land...perhaps if your going on a trip for validation, it could be sent to your hotel??

Guest Mylady's O/H

Can anyone tell me if the gap training is the same for all electricians or will it differ from applicant to applicant?

Is there any chance due to qualifications and test results that maybe all one will have to do is the regs?

Guest leeob77
I see no reason why artc cant be applied for from outside aus (providing you have visa)

http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplace/Pages/ContentPage.aspx?NRMODE=Published&NRORIGINALURL=/workplace/Programmes/TRA/2SkillsassessmentforAustralianRecognisedTradeCertificateARTC.htm&NRNODEGUID={9B95950D-7E05-4FBF-8C28-9A93F29A6823**&NRCACHEHINT=Guest#1

There is even details of payment if overseas on this page..

and for those who didn`t take the costly and lengthy vettacess route it is free.

sometimes it pays to keep things simple..

i though i had made a mistake going tra route, but now its looking the best option, i think???

you can apply for an artc while still in the uk as soon as you have visa in passport. thats exactly what i did.

just provide a friends address as they wont post outside australia.

my friend in perth kept hold of mine.

the first application for an artc is free for applicants already assessed by tra for visa skills assessment.

my agent said it is possible to apply before you have your visa provided you have had a positive skills assessment from them. but when you get to oz you will have to provide evidence of visa to them. easier to do it from the uk once you have visa i think. then its waiting for you when you get there.

Guest leeob77
My ladys o/h

am just looking at

Peer Veet > Training > Overseas Enquiry

and the regs corse link at the bottem of page.

although it veries state to state.

am thinking perhaps a three week trip just to get the regs done.

although someone mentioned distance learning also, but still need to be in oz for exam..

if you have an artc cert then you can pass the regs at peer and get your license in SA.

the course can be done via distance learning from anywhere in the world. i did mine from the uk. once you complete the coursework you still have to sit the final exam at peer in adelaide.

this is arranged between yourself and peer. you will be given two dates together. the idea is you do a days revision and take the exam on the next day. they are completely flexible and you can do the exam any time over the two days. they will mark it while you are there and you can then take your regs cert and artc into adelaide and apply for license.

we went to oz at christmas to validate visas. we stayed in perth. i flew out to adelaide on the sunday, did the exam on monday, picked up certificate on tuesday morning, applied for license, and flew back to perth for tea time. only stayed in adelaide two nights.

my full license arrived at my friends house a couple of weeks later. (provide a friends address in oz for the license).

lee.

Guest southerngent

Thanks leob

I think it was your previous post i must have read before.

I think the way you suggest is the best method, only requiring the transfer of licence to queens when i get there to settle.

reguards

Southern

Guest Mike&lou

Thanks leeob,this def sounds like it will work,and if it does it will be wht im gonna do,just have to find out now the costs etc involved...

Vetasses is just a sham.

Guest Mylady's O/H

I will ask this question again

As I have not received my OTSR I would like to know if the gap training is the same for all electricians or will it differ from applicant to applicant?

Is there any chance due to qualifications and test results that maybe all one will have to do is the regs?

Guest James.S
I will ask this question again

As I have not received my OTSR I would like to know if the gap training is the same for all electricians or will it differ from applicant to applicant?

Hi, Gap training is the same for everyone. It is specified per state what is actualy required to be fully licensed by them, the rules for QLD are different to NSW etc, there may also be a difference if you have an OTSR or the ARTC, however if you get fully licensed in one state you can transfer to another although the recognition is not perfect as some license have restrictions or may allow you to do more in other states - if that makes sense..!

James...

Guest rickiebarnes

Hey, I hope you can help me please. I'm Rickie and I have just arrived in Victoria. I passed the vetassess and have the otsr. But where the hell do I do this gap course??? I can find no info at all.

Guest James.S
Hey, I hope you can help me please. I'm Rickie and I have just arrived in Victoria. I passed the vetassess and have the otsr. But where the hell do I do this gap course??? I can find no info at all.

Hi Rickie,

What you will need to do is contacting the Victoria licensing: (Electrician's Licence)

The Gap training you require will depend on what class of license you want to go for the information as to onshore additional qualifications and experiance is on their website...

All the best,

James...

Guest Mylady's O/H

lee.

Hi all

The office of consumer and business affairs sent me an email and I have copied and pasted what they say about Vetassess and TRA.

As to the comment quote above what we need to be carefull is if they look at what country we come from or where our apprentiships were served.Please keep in mind what I have highlighted in red below.

VETASSESS

If you are from India, Sri Lanka, South Africa, the United Kingdom or the Philippines, you can obtain an Offshore Technical Skills Record (OTSR) through VETASSESS to assist in your application for a restricted workers registration

Trade Recognition Australia (TRA)

If you are a qualified electrical tradesperson from a country other than those recognised by VETASSESS, you can obtain an Australian Recognised Trade Certificate (ARTCs) from Trade Recognition Australia to assist in your application for a restricted electrical workers registration.

It might work, but I have a feeling I would just be routed back to Vetassess as all my paper based is from South Africa.

Any comments?

Guest leeob77
Hi all

The office of consumer and business affairs sent me an email and I have copied and pasted what they say about Vetassess and TRA.

As to the comment quote above what we need to be carefull is if they look at what country we come from or where our apprentiships were served.Please keep in mind what I have highlighted in red below.

VETASSESS

If you are from India' date=' Sri Lanka, South Africa, the United Kingdom or the Philippines[/color'], you can obtain an Offshore Technical Skills Record (OTSR) through VETASSESS to assist in your application for a restricted workers registration

Trade Recognition Australia (TRA)

If you are a qualified electrical tradesperson from a country other than those recognised by VETASSESS, you can obtain an Australian Recognised Trade Certificate (ARTCs) from Trade Recognition Australia to assist in your application for a restricted electrical workers registration.

It might work, but I have a feeling I would just be routed back to Vetassess as all my paper based is from South Africa.

Any comments?

but what is to stop you applying for an artc certificate just because you have already been assessed by vetassess?

tra still issue artc certificates for electrical trades regardless of what country you come from. they just dont do the skills assessment for the visa.

lee.

Guest James.S
but what is to stop you applying for an artc certificate just because you have already been assessed by vetassess?

tra still issue artc certificates for electrical trades regardless of what country you come from. they just dont do the skills assessment for the visa.

lee.

The OSTR (vetassess) is designed to give proof to the immigration people that you have the skills required to apply for a skilled visa, it is not currenty very helpful at getting you a license..

Once you have your visa depending upon the state your in or to speed things up you can then apply for the ARTC, it is similar to the OSTR but you have to prove your experiance for 7 years not 5.

The licensing departments or ARTC people will not care and will not check if you have the OSTR so i don't think having both will be in any way a problem...

Hope that makes sense..!

James...

Guest leeob77
The OSTR (vetassess) is designed to give proof to the immigration people that you have the skills required to apply for a skilled visa, it is not currenty very helpful at getting you a license..

Once you have your visa depending upon the state your in or to speed things up you can then apply for the ARTC, it is similar to the OSTR but you have to prove your experiance for 7 years not 5.

The licensing departments or ARTC people will not care and will not check if you have the OSTR so i don't think having both will be in any way a problem...

Hope that makes sense..!

James...

precisely.

when you apply for an artc they ask if you have been assessed by tra for visa purposes. this is so that you dont have to pay for the artc. they dont ask if you have been assessed by vetassess (or anyone else).

when you go down to the ocba in adelaide they dont care how you got the visa.

all i had to show was my artc, my regs cert from peer, and some id.

5 mins later your done.

lee.

Guest Daz & Claire

Hope that makes sense..!

James...

My problem is that i started retraining as an electrician at night school when i was 28. I passed all my C&G exams after 3 years of study and then started work. So I don't have any form of apprentiship.

When vetassess was introduced for the UK I was jumping for joy:jiggy:

I won't be able to go down the ARTC route, so what am I to do.?

I'm planning to move to north Brisbane and i'm not sure as yet if Queensland do thier registrations or training any different from the rest of Oz. I will have to email queensland direct.

If any knows the Info that i need, i would be greatfull if you could point me in the right direction.:err:

Daz