Guest James.S

Guest neil the spark

Hi guys sorry to but in but i am in need of a bit of help.

I am at the paper stage of my application and need to produce my City & Guilds certificate unfortunatley as this was some time ago and many house moves later i cant find it anywhere.

I have paid City & Guilds to get a replacement but they cant seem to find any records because apparently they need the official name of the course which i attended. Such as the 2360 or the like.

The course i took was from 1989 to 1992

Any help would be great as this is driving me bananas :arghh:

Thanks Neil

Guest James.S
hi i have already spoke to vetassess and they have said he doestnt need to be assed as he going as a spouse on my visa, thats why i was on the understanding that he can just do his ARTC.

we already the visa application in motion, its not that bit the problem.

lisa

The problem you have is nothing to do with the visa and getting to Australia, the problem is being able to work once there...

Your side of things will be fine as the visa is in your name and as a hair dresser i don't think you will need a trade license or anything like us sparks..

However... your other half does need a licence, and yes in order to apply for the provisional (restricted or supervised) license he will need to prove 7 years worth of experiance for the ARTC to be able to apply... however with the Vetassess he will only have to prove 5 years (which he can almost do).... if in Perth which is where i think you said you are heading they accept the Vetassess as well or instead of the ARTC then definately go down that route, or else you are stuffed!

With Vetassess you can apply, do the paper based and the practicle without having your visa granted as it is mainly designed for visa applicants, however with the ARTC you will need the visa first and therefore takes a lot longer to get the provisional (restricted or supervised) license...

The way i think you should proceed is to contact Vetassess again, ask for your other half to apply as you want to be able to get the provisional (restricted or supervised) license as soon as possible once in Australia, don't lead them to believe that this is in anyway to do with a visa application, it is purley to speed up getting work once you have made the big move... I would imgaine they will be fine and allow him onto the process, at the end of the day you will be paying and money is money so what do they have to lose..!

All the best, hope that helps...

James...

:jimlad:

Guest James.S

I am at the paper stage of my application and need to produce my City & Guilds certificate unfortunatley as this was some time ago and many house moves later i cant find it anywhere.

I have paid City & Guilds to get a replacement but they cant seem to find any records because apparently they need the official name of the course which i attended. Such as the 2360 or the like.

Thanks Neil

Have you tried contacting the college you studied at to see if they have any records..?

As a final desperate measure you could do the lates reg's course that will give you the city and guilds for the BS7671:2008, you should be able to do it in a couple of days...

Good luck... what a bummer..!

James...

Guest neil the spark

Hi James

Going to try the college on Monday, City & Guilds dont think they keep any records for more than 5 years but i'm thinking surely someone will know what the course was called before it changed to the NVQ , have to wait and see

Thanks anyway

Neil

Guest James.S
Hi ive completed the AS/NZS3000 wiring regs and have a home study course as i bought one for $850 from peer has all the books and course work complete. just so happened my employer paid for one to so i have a spare and am trying to sell it.cheers spike

Hi, I will PM you as i am v.interested...

Cheers..

James...

Hi all at PIO

Just confirmed my Practical assessment General Electrician (4311-11)

Blackburn College, Lancashire. 19/02/2009

Is there anybody out there who's doing the exam on the same date or anybody to discuss preperation !!!!!

Vetassess Paperwork sent out in mid Dec 08 practicial booked today Mid jan!!

Neil(Ashby Dicko)

Hi Neal i am from Telford and i am taking exam on 19/02/09 at Blackburn.are you panicking yet like me:unsure:

hi James,

im esthapan the spark.can you plz tell me what is dis-connection process?what r the step to be taken while dis-conneting?then about health and safety-what kind of question they ask u about it? what where the question in the written exam.? ur reply will be highly appreciated.

Estahapan.

Guest James.S
hi James,

im esthapan the spark.can you plz tell me what is dis-connection process?what r the step to be taken while dis-conneting?then about health and safety-what kind of question they ask u about it? what where the question in the written exam.? ur reply will be highly appreciated.

Estahapan.

Hi Estahapan..

I hope the following helps... these are according to Australian rules / regs, not just the Uks..

Disconnection Process

Notify personnel of presence on work site.

Personnel to be notified in immediate area that you are to commence disconnection and interruption to supply.

Will removal of protective devices affect essential service?

Test voltage tester at known ‘LIVE’ source for correct operation before use.

Ensure the frame of the equipment in not ‘LIVE’ by testing between frame/chassis and the known earth.

Test voltage tester at known ‘LIVE’ source for correct operation after use.

Take operational details of appliance e.g. kW and voltage.

Take direction of rotation (DOR) of motor (where applicable).

Complete details on danger tags e.g. name, date, fault, etc.

Affix danger tags to isolation points, e.g. appliance, isolating switch, switchboard etc.

Determine location of appropriate protective device.

Do not leave exposed LIVE terminals/conductors as switchboard or appliance.

Test voltage tester at known ‘LIVE’ source for correct operation before use.

Before touching the appliance conductors, test for LIVE.

Test between – all conductors & known earth.

This test should also include test for LIVE between the protective earthing conductor & the known earth.

The appliance conductors must also be tested for LIVE by testing between all conductors.

This includes the protective earthing conductor.

Test voltage tester for correct operation on known LIVE source after using it.

Isolate protective device by applying lock-dog & lock or inserting ‘dummy’ fuse wedge in fuse base.

Terminate conductors in approved manner and enclose in junction box.

Cable ends must be fully insulated.

Affix danger tag to terminated conductors enclosed in junction box.

Ensure terminated conductors are protected against mechanical damage.

Clean up work area & notify personnel.

Reconnection Process

Notify personnel of return to work site.

Personnel to be notified in immediate area that you are to commence disconnection and interruption to supply.

Will removal of protective devices affect essential service?

Ensure the appliance to be reconnected is of the same operational rating e.g. kW amps & voltage etc.

Test insulation resistance and continuity tester on both Meg Ohm (500V) and Ohm scale for correct operation.

Carry out the insulation resistance test on the appliance.

Test between all active & neutral conductors to the earth contact of the appliance.

Not containing sheathed heating elements – not less than 1 MegWContaining sheathed heating elements – not less than 0.01MegWBefore touching final sub-circuit conductors, test for LIVE. Test between – all conductors & the known earth.

This test also includes testing for LIVE between the protective earthing conductor & the effective earth.

The final sub-circuit conductors must also be tested for LIVE by testing between all conductors.

This includes the protective earthing conductors.

Test voltage tester for correct operation on known LIVE source after using it.

Reconnect final sub-circuit wiring to appliance terminals.Carry out continuity test on final sub circuit protective earthing conductor from effective earth to frame of appliance. – this test should be carried out after the circuit conductors have been connected to the equipments terminals and before the power has been restored.

Notify personnel of restoration to power.

Do not leave exposed LIVE terminals/conductors at switchboard or appliance.

Remove lock, lock-dog and switch on circuit breaker or insert correct fuse wedge to restore power.

Check appliance for correct operation e.g. DOR. (Direction of Rotation).

Clean up work area and notify personnel.

Health and safety are quite straight forward it pretty much covers the aspects you will be familiar with in the UK, remember that the test is based on your current knowledge and they do not expect you to be know all about the Oz regs etc.. (for that you need to know how to do CPR etc), if you like try to have a look at the 'Australian Electrical Safety Act 2002' just be aware of the disconnection and reconnection as these cover a lot of the safety aspects.

The disconnection and reconnection are asked for in written format prior to removing the supply to a 'faulty' electrical motor, they basically want to know that as you are about to un-wire a live piece of equipment that you know what you are doing...

The written exam was quite varied, have a look on page 1 of this thread, i have put int that as much as i can remember of the questions themselves... there were resistance calculations, power calculations, transformer wind ratios, ohms law calculations as well as some very general health and safety questions like what fire extinguisher to use on electrical fires etc...

Hope that all helps, if there is anything else just ask and i will try my best..!

Good luck...

James...

Hello folks,

I have got as far as page 6 on this threadbut my back wont allow me to sit here any longer I'm afraid so can someone please tell me if any of you are in WA??

Hubby is a spark and we are wondering how long it will take for him to get A class license once we get there. Going over on a 175 visa. Will he be able to work once we get there etc etc.

Thanks in advance for replies, glad I found this thread esp the very fist post which I have printed off.

Jo, Gaz, Ben & Daniel

Thanks Neil

Hi

i passed mine in 95/96 and mine were City & Guilds Electrical Installation 236 Part 1 and 2. hope this helps.

Guest leeob77

im going to WA and looked into the licensing system for that state.

once you arrive you can apply for a restricted license using your OSTR or ARTC (depending on which route you took).

you can then work under supervision until you pass the exams.

once you decide which license you need (probably electrical mechanic), you apply to sit the exams. you will have to pass the practical exam in order to apply to sit the theory. once you have passed both you will be issued with your full license. the timescale depends on how long the wait is to sit the first exam. could take between two and six months. try emailing energy safety in WA for current times. EnergySafety - Department of Commerce

lee.

Thank you Lee,

I looked up the TAFE at Freo last night for courses and there are sooo many,lol. Whats the diff between an electrical mechanic and an electrical fitter?? They seem to have different names for peoples jobs over there.

Any idea what sort of wage to expect whilst training for license??

Jo x

im going to WA and looked into the licensing system for that state.

once you arrive you can apply for a restricted license using your OSTR or ARTC (depending on which route you took).

you can then work under supervision until you pass the exams.

once you decide which license you need (probably electrical mechanic), you apply to sit the exams. you will have to pass the practical exam in order to apply to sit the theory. once you have passed both you will be issued with your full license. the timescale depends on how long the wait is to sit the first exam. could take between two and six months. try emailing energy safety in WA for current times. EnergySafety - Department of Commerce

lee.

Guest James.S
hi james how come you now so much lol?

are you in oz, or where are you going? and what stage are you at?

lisa

I am just a genius i guess..! lol...

I have all of my revision notes on my laptop so i just cut and paste every now and then.. I have been looking into all of the in's and out's of sparking down under for ages so when people ask I either already know the answer or i may know where to look....

We are here now after a bit of travelling around in Coff's Harbour NSW, my visa (175) is not granted yet but as soon as it is we will have to go to New Zealand to get it, if it doesnt come for a while then we will apply to extend our tourist visa...!

We have rented out our flat in London and all our stuff is being shipped...

How about you..? are you here yet..? what stage are you at..?

All the best..

James...

Guest lisaandnigel
I am just a genius i guess..! lol...

I have all of my revision notes on my laptop so i just cut and paste every now and then.. I have been looking into all of the in's and out's of sparking down under for ages so when people ask I either already know the answer or i may know where to look....

We are here now after a bit of travelling around in Coff's Harbour NSW, my visa (175) is not granted yet but as soon as it is we will have to go to New Zealand to get it, if it doesnt come for a while then we will apply to extend our tourist visa...!

We have rented out our flat in London and all our stuff is being shipped...

How about you..? are you here yet..? what stage are you at..?

All the best..

James...

well hello genius lol

our meds have just been sent, so not long now hopefully to wait.

planning to move august time.

i am just getting some prices for shipping.

who did you use?

and still trying to sort this licence buisness out.

would like him to do painting and decorating now lol it might be easier lol.

so how long have you been there?

so may be you can give us all your notes for the vetassess lol.

lisa

Guest James.S
well hello genius lol

our meds have just been sent, so not long now hopefully to wait.

planning to move august time.

i am just getting some prices for shipping.

who did you use?

and still trying to sort this licence buisness out.

would like him to do painting and decorating now lol it might be easier lol.

so how long have you been there?

so may be you can give us all your notes for the vetassess lol.

lisa

Hi Lisa,

We used Crown Relocations, there are very nice people to deal with and give an all inclusive price, we had 700 cuft packed and will be delivered and unpacked to Coffs Harbour for £3400..

We arrived here at the very end of December with plans to move either here to Coffs or to Byron Bay, we spent a week or so in Sydney and then travelled straight to here, we then went up to Noosa (north or Brisbane) to have a look there after stopping off at Byron Bay on the way, and have come back to Coffs to settle..

The license business is a pain, but nothing can happen until you get your visa unfortunately.... so i am just waiting and researching everything until my visa comes through...!

Vetassess notes... let me know what would be of help and i will post it... not sure what i have already put up on here...

All the best

James...

Guest leeob77
Thank you Lee,

I looked up the TAFE at Freo last night for courses and there are sooo many,lol. Whats the diff between an electrical mechanic and an electrical fitter?? They seem to have different names for peoples jobs over there.

Any idea what sort of wage to expect whilst training for license??

Jo x

hi there.

the different classifications take a bit of getting used to.

to generalise if an electrical mechanic would be like a general electrican in the uk - domestic / commercial / industrial installation, testing, modifications etc. an electrical fitter is more towards the industrial maintenance / panel building etc.

i applied as electrical fitter for visa as i work installing and maintaining industrial machinery, use plc's etc. but ive got a license that allows me to do both now.

the majority of people will be classed as electrical mechanic.

just to throw a spanner in the works an electrical fitter who can prove they do enough installation work, testing and verification etc, could apply as a mechanic too. (and vice versa!)

best license is regarded as mechanics by most.

as regards to wages for trades assistant you will probably find that you will be about $5 - $10 an hour lower than an 'A' grade electrician. (can only go off other peoples experience - im still stuck in uk till house sells!)

lee.

Guest James.S
hi there,

hw was ur vetassess practical?what did u do in prac. test?what were the written Q's? i just want know whats the disconnection/connection sequence? plz reply.

regards,

esthapan.

Esthapan,

I have replied to you... see page 11 of this thread for the disconnection/connection sequence, see page 1 for a description of the practicle etc...

James...

Esthapan,

I have replied to you... see page 11 of this thread for the disconnection/connection sequence, see page 1 for a description of the practicle etc...

James...

hi james,

thank u very much for ur reply.i appreciate ur move to help au. job seekers. some more doubts plz explain;

1)do i need to carry tools(including drill m/c) at the time of prac.?

2) what about PPE? protective shoes r with me.but i don't use apron,glouse and safetyhelmet.is it necessary to carry the said items?

3)does the assessor asks me anything about Au. wiring,safety standards/reg.?

4)we use the term earth fault Circuit breake(ELCB ) in place of Earth fault Circit Intereptur(IFCI).which term i should use at the time of prac.?ELCB or EFCI/safety switch.

5.WHAT IS LOCKING DEVICE?is it a pin used for locking the MCB's?can i use metalic pin?

6)does he ask about the current capacity of cables and contactors?

7)what about electronics?testing of componets and construction?

hoping my q's might not irritate u:biggrin:,

regards,

esthapan.

Guest James.S
hi james,

thank u very much for ur reply.i appreciate ur move to help au. job seekers. some more doubts plz explain;

?

hoping my q's might not irritate u:biggrin:,

regards,

esthapan.

Hi Esthapan..

My answers are:

1)do i need to carry tools(including drill m/c) at the time of prac.? - I just took hand tools and my tester, some people had power drill but not really needed

2) what about PPE? protective shoes r with me.but i don't use apron,glouse and safetyhelmet.is it necessary to carry the said items? - I just had boots on, i took gloves & glasses but it was never asked to see them, so i don't think you should bother, but it does say on the Vetassess list to do so..?

3)does the assessor asks me anything about Au. wiring,safety standards/reg.? - No they make it clear that you are not required to know anything aout the Oz standards as this you do once in Oz at a TAFE college.

4)we use the term earth fault Circuit breake(ELCB ) in place of Earth fault Circit Intereptur(IFCI).which term i should use at the time of prac.?ELCB or EFCI/safety switch. - Either if it comes up, they will know what your taliking about, they just want to know that you have a good practicle knowledge of most things...

5.WHAT IS LOCKING DEVICE?is it a pin used for locking the MCB's?can i use metalic

pin? - It is either a device for locking a MCB in the off position, or for locking a switch in the off postion, it is usually some kind of clamp and a padlock so no-one else can just take the clamo off and turn it on, you should also have a tag that you fit too it so you know when it was turned off, by who and why plus their contact details... The NICEIC do a good kit that comes with all of the bits..

6)does he ask about the current capacity of cables and contactors? - Didn't ask anything, but when you do the practicle rig you have to know what cable to use for a lighting circuit and for a powr circuit... that was all cable selection that happened..!

7)what about electronics?testing of componets and construction - You have to connect resistors in parallel and in series and be able to calculate and test the voltage drop as well as the resistance of the circuit, but other than that the only electronics that came up was calculation transformer wind ratio's and voltage stepping.

Hope that helps..

All the best,

James..

Hi All,

My OH works on electric motors - prototypes and rewinds. Would he have to take the electricians vetasses? Just wondering as this seems a bit more towards the domestic sparky side, or is there an electrical fitters licence?

Cheers!

Guest James.S
Hi All,

My OH works on electric motors - prototypes and rewinds. Would he have to take the electricians vetasses? Just wondering as this seems a bit more towards the domestic sparky side, or is there an electrical fitters licence?

Cheers!

Hi, the Vetassess part is really designed as a way of assessing that someone can be classed as an electrician whatever their specific area of trade, primarily for the purpose of applying for a visa (175 or otherwise) to get to Oz.

Once granted and in Australia you can then follow a more specific path for licensing to work as a motor winder or such like.

The Vetassess test though is designed to be quite general as they try to cover all of the basic elements of knowledge that any electrician may need regardless of their specific job.

So ultimately, yes he will have to do the Vetassess for the visa and no it isn't just for domestics, the specific license side of things only worry about when you get down under..!

All the best,

James...