Guest James.S

Guest Pete and Lou

Hi I'm the wife too so don't know masses, but have been reading up and please correct me anyone if I am wrong but I believe to get you full registration to work as a general electrician (in QLD) you have to have got your visa first then you need an Australian address, which could be a friend's or relative's and then you can send off for a restricted license which means working under supervision. To get the restricted license you also have to prove that you have done a resuscitation course, which are available at a local TAFE college if you need to do it over there, at a cost, of course! Once you get your restricted license you also have to register at an appropriate institution/college/TAFE, etc. You then have to complete a log book of the work you've done and signed by your supervisor. You then have to do the Australian Wiring regs course and sit and pass the exam before you can apply for the full unrestricted license. The thing I want to know is when they talk about having the restricted license and keeping a log they mention doing this for a year!! Is it possible to do the amount of work in a shorter time and sit the wiring regs exam earlier than a year and therefore get your license sooner, say 6 months by working hard and revising hard?????

Lou :confused:

Guest stixblue
Just read e mail back from Queensland re electrical licence, how you apply etc etc. Does anyone know once passed the Vetassess can one apply from UK or do we have to wait till in Oz? Also i understand there is a 2nd part after this, Do any Sparks out there know how long this whole process takes?? I am the wife and probably over reacting but to me looks like will take forever and what does hubby do for work in meantime??!! As they said cannot work in this field till have the licence. Or is it a case that one applies for licence, gets it then works whilst doing the next required phase??

Feel like dreams are plumetting as so many hurdles!!

Hi

Check out www.britishexpats.com and go to the electrician thread, there's plenty of info posted on there.It seems the licensing is a problem at the moment.

Best of luck David:huh:

Guest leeob77
hi,

Read all the pages on this thread. Thanks for the info. Could you help me? I currently work as a service engineer with an electrical bias for a packaging company . Apart from the General Electrician job title with Vetassess or TRA, does anyone know of a job title which will suit my current job title closer.

Electrician (Special Class) 4311-13 - Australian Skills Recognition Information

Services and repairs intricate and complex electrical or electronic circuitry.

Tasks

• diagnoses and repairs faults in electrical circuitry which is of a complex nature

• analyses drawings and specifications to determine sequences and methods of operation

• uses electrical and electronic test instruments to trace faults

• dismantles units, repairs or replaces defective components and re-assembles them

• test-operates and monitors the performance of systems, and adjusts settings

• records causes of malfunctioning and action taken

• may service and repair circuitry in prototype and other non-standard units

• may service and repair components of electrical equipment powered by hydraulic, pneumatic or other non-electrical energy sources

i applied as electrician special class. you are assessed by TRA (loads cheaper than vetassess and no practical exam).

i work as a maintenance electrician and the job description was more suited to me than the general electrician one.

Guest jim&nik&jj&meea

Hi all,

Good thread. Im a sparky wanting to get to oz...thing is, as much as im reading about all this stuff the more confused im getting!?

Where should i start...as in what is the first thing i sjould do from scratch!?

Cheers

Jim

Guest sandy25

Hi all, brilliant thread due to the whole electrical licensing issue being complex. Hi Leeob 77 , my hubby is electrician (special class). Did you do your courses in England? Are you in Oz at the moment? We're hoping to go to Central Coast when visa arrives and house sells. We're panicking a bit now after reading on another thread that an electrician hadn't been able to get work in the Sydney area. This would cause us great difficulty and does worry us. Any thoughts?:skeptical:

Guest WARDStoOZ

Hi all...!

I just wanted to thank James for starting this thread. The nurses thread is fantastic so to see one for one of the trades is great too :yes::yes:

Dan :-)

Hi Daz,

You'll need the Electrical Mechanics License. That one gives you full abilities, basically the same as over there. If you go to http://www.deir.qld.gov.au/electricalsafety/training/licenses/overseas/index.htm on page 2 gives you a brief description without that you can't connect to mains.

I left a post earlier in this thread which explains alot of the frustrations.

I arrived here just over amonth ago on a 136 visa and knew before i left i had to do they're regs course when i got here. However that can take up to 6 months.

I don't know about how vetasses work but i do know that in queensland however you got here once you get your temporary license whether thro' vetasses or the ARTC you will need to contact a RTO (registered training Orgainisation) who will assess what extra courses you will need. Minimumm (for spark being their Regs or Test and Inspect). OK i thought no problem!! we update in England every so often, perhaps 6 or 8 nights over several weeks or even 3 whole days or something like. NO they dont have numbers to do face to face over the size of Queensland. It's up to 6 months correspondence course. AND you have to complete a log book over that period and once you have completed that and whatever courses your assigned RTO decides you need they will issue with a completion Certifcate. Then you can get your full license.

Now i'm hoping it will take ALOT less than that, i'll let you know as at mo i've just sent off my ARTC for my Temp License (Which takes up to 28 days to get).

A word of advice when applying for your temp License don't worry about getting your CPR and LVR (Low Voltage Rescue) courses you only need them when getting your full license. I rushed out and done them, they won't be wasted but weren't urgent.

They do those every year here and from what i hear the CPR every 6 months. (they are about £40 the both and the majorities of employers pay for them)

Well thats about how it works here, not the end of the really but i am finding picking up a job on a Temp license very hard, especially on the Sunshine Coast and especially a good job. Alot of companies want to take advatage and pay you apprentices money because you have to work under supervison. (whether your actually used like that who knows?)

As i said i the earlier post i have now 2 near on job offers who are willing to stick with me thro' that temporary period.

The mining industry here still has mountains of jobs available but i've not applied as you need a couple of extra courses on mine safety (£300) just to apply but most want a bit of previous, so appying on a temporary i think would be a waste of the course costs. (well Paid Jobs tho'). Alot of the best paid jobs are in the mines, in Brisbane/gold coast or in industrial situations where you need PLC experience. You can get in the door but really you need your full license first.

Well sorry this has been abit long winded but i hope it's of use to you.

I think once all the initial stuff is out the way there is plenty of oppotunity out here so i hope i haven't painted a depressing picture on things, just a frustrating but realistic one. My advice is research your situation as much as you can.

Keith

Does any one Know what type of electrical licence i will need as a general electrician in Queensland, i.e. Domestic & commercial spark

Classes of electrical work licences

The following classes of electrical work licences may be

issued—

(a) electrical mechanic licence;

(b) electrical linesperson licence;

© electrical fitter licence;

(d) electrical jointer licence;

(e) restricted electrical work licence;

(f) electrical work training permit.

I understand i will need a provisional license and from what i can gather e) restricted electrical work licence, apply's to me.

Has anybody got this far yet?

Cheers Daz

Guest James.S
Hi all,

Good thread. Im a sparky wanting to get to oz...thing is, as much as im reading about all this stuff the more confused im getting!?

Where should i start...as in what is the first thing i sjould do from scratch!?

Cheers

Jim

Hi Jim,

1st thing is to get yourself a migration agent unless you are going to do it the papre way yourself..

Then look into either Vetassess, you can find them online, or a TRA assessing body, there are a couple (I think), what these qualifications do is qualify to the DIAC that you are as you say you are, an electrician and that your visa application is genuine... then depending on which state you head for the hurdles regarding getting a license differ, but none that i know will give you a licence (or even the provisional) until you have the visa...

All the best... and good luck...!

James...

Guest James.S
Hi I'm the wife too so don't know masses, but have been reading up and please correct me anyone if I am wrong but I believe to get you full registration to work as a general electrician (in QLD) you have to have got your visa first then you need an Australian address, which could be a friend's or relative's and then you can send off for a restricted license which means working under supervision. To get the restricted license you also have to prove that you have done a resuscitation course, which are available at a local TAFE college if you need to do it over there, at a cost, of course! Once you get your restricted license you also have to register at an appropriate institution/college/TAFE, etc. You then have to complete a log book of the work you've done and signed by your supervisor. You then have to do the Australian Wiring regs course and sit and pass the exam before you can apply for the full unrestricted license. The thing I want to know is when they talk about having the restricted license and keeping a log they mention doing this for a year!! Is it possible to do the amount of work in a shorter time and sit the wiring regs exam earlier than a year and therefore get your license sooner, say 6 months by working hard and revising hard?????

Lou :confused:

Hi,

The way I believe it works is as soon as you have the visa, regardless of being in Oz or not you can apply for the restricted license.

Although you need an address you can put a 'care of post office' address, have a look online as to how this works but in brief they will send it to a nominated post office for you, they will hold it for you for a month or forward it to wherever, they will do it to the UK but there will be a nominal charge..

Yes once you have the restricted you will need to do the green / white card to be able to work on site, this is a half day health and safety course, and then start to do the reg's course and log etc for your time on site..

So as I beleive it you can work straight away but you will be more like an apprentice, the green / white card you have to do in Oz.

I dp think though that there is a 12 month time limit for the experiance before they offer the full license, the reg's course is like a night school course and i think is around 40 hours...

Hope that helps...

James...

Guest leeob77
Hi all, brilliant thread due to the whole electrical licensing issue being complex. Hi Leeob 77 , my hubby is electrician (special class). Did you do your courses in England? Are you in Oz at the moment? We're hoping to go to Central Coast when visa arrives and house sells. We're panicking a bit now after reading on another thread that an electrician hadn't been able to get work in the Sydney area. This would cause us great difficulty and does worry us. Any thoughts?:skeptical:

hi, i am still in the uk. went to oz for two weeks over christmas to validate. now back home.

as soon as i had my visa i applied for an artc certificate. i also enrolled on the wiring regs course in south australia with a training group called peer. i did the first part of the course via distance learning and then while we were in oz validating visa i went to peer in adelaide for a few days to take my exam. took exam on day one, passed and took certificate for regs plus certificate for artc to the licensing authority on day two. used a friends address in perth for everything so in a couple of weeks i will have a full electrical license waiting for me in perth.

bit easier than other states!

lee.

Hi James,

I don't know about the applying for license outside Oz, but the site card is a Blue card which you can do on line anywhere in the world then send off a certified declaration(which you download) and a 2 certifed forms of id. Costs do differ but roughly around $60 (£30) It took me bout 2.5hours. it's about 130 questions and easy very easy as long as you follow it properly.

As i have said in the previous post in Qld they will only offer corespondence courses because of class numbers but you can do it in less than 6 months but not alot less.

I spent one afternoon on the phone to Qld Gov, Taff, ESO, ETC. and that is how it works here.(QLD)

CPR courses are not necessary for temp/provis licenses but still worth doing as not wasted as needed for full, as is LVR. They are available(both) from St Johns Ambulance, Aus Red Cross and a couple more associations.

Wages whilst on temp license does depend on the individuals ability, employers attitude and like England demand market at the time.

Keith

Hi,

The way I believe it works is as soon as you have the visa, regardless of being in Oz or not you can apply for the restricted license.

Although you need an address you can put a 'care of post office' address, have a look online as to how this works but in brief they will send it to a nominated post office for you, they will hold it for you for a month or forward it to wherever, they will do it to the UK but there will be a nominal charge..

Yes once you have the restricted you will need to do the green / white card to be able to work on site, this is a half day health and safety course, and then start to do the reg's course and log etc for your time on site..

So as I beleive it you can work straight away but you will be more like an apprentice, the green / white card you have to do in Oz.

I dp think though that there is a 12 month time limit for the experiance before they offer the full license, the reg's course is like a night school course and i think is around 40 hours...

Hope that helps...

James...

Guest Mark and Ginny

Hi guys, I did my OH & S course on Wednesday. Just to clarify in NSW it is known as the green card but it is mainly white. The Queensland card is blue and the cards for differing states may also be different colours. The guy that ran our course said the cards are valid for life unless you have more than a two year break and are also recognised by other states or soon will be. He did say something negative about the Queensland blue card being recognised in other states, specifically because you can do it online and without any classroom time. This might just mean that you would have to resit if you decided to move interstate.

Mark

Guest lisaandnigel
arrived in oz with permanent residency on a subclass 136 visa 10/04/07 qld...

Got temp workers licence through tafe and artc

got told i needed an artc at first got refused on not enough info on my references. Had to contact old employers back in the uk for new ones with more info on. (wat a pain that was)...

Got my artc elec fitter elec mech 24/09/07

enrolled on ute31199 cert iii in electrotechnology systems electrician at tafe got told i could sit test when i wanted, waited a few weeks revised and went to evening class's , 1 hour a night for free as i was enrolled at tafe.

Passed 17/11/07 electrical systems safety m00 tnue505.1a

applied for elec licence got confirmation of approval,

received licence card in post issued on 29/11/07

have also just recently passed contractors course 18/10/08,

although had to wait till i had my elec licence 1 year before applying for contractors licence.....

All good i am technical person on my employers licence.....

Had to do cpr course and lvr(low voltage rescue) as part of licence approval.....

I was thinking vettasses would have helped the switch between uk n oz obviously there is still a large **** up

hi just wondering if you can help us, in the process of apply for artc.

Have you still got any copies of what information you sent to them.

Really dont want to be turned down.

Is it similiar information like the tra.

Great if you can help

thanks nigel

Guest lisaandnigel

Hi guys has anyone got any information on apply for ARTC.

i know they need lots and lots of info.

if anyone has any tips or advice would be appriciated.

thanks lisa and nigel

Guest Daz & Claire

Cheers Keith,

thanks for the info, I have a friends living in brisbane so closer to the date of our departure i will apply for a provisional licence using my mates address and try to speed things up before i arrive.

Daz

Hi Lisa and Nigel,

Yeh it is the same stuff as TRA but just send as much as you can. I even sent Photos, they're not asked for but i just thought i 'm only doing this once so i sent anything. Nothing is too much.

Keith

Hi guys has anyone got any information on apply for ARTC.

i know they need lots and lots of info.

if anyone has any tips or advice would be appriciated.

thanks lisa and nigel

Guest Jacky L

Hi Leeob77, we are hopefully planning on settling in Adelaide and my OH is now starting to think about where to take the license and just reading your post - wow 3 days is incredible! I will have to go and tell him! Perhaps you can point me in the right direction of where he can gain the license etc, etc, that would be really really helpful.

Cheers

Jacky

Guest James.S
Hi Leeob77, we are hopefully planning on settling in Adelaide and my OH is now starting to think about where to take the license and just reading your post - wow 3 days is incredible! I will have to go and tell him! Perhaps you can point me in the right direction of where he can gain the license etc, etc, that would be really really helpful.

Cheers

Jacky

Three weeks is amazing..! I think all the sparks from PIO should go at once and do it together..!

(yeh ok we would then have to re-apply for different states but that will still be quicker....just..!)

James...

:biggrin:

Guest leeob77

Cheers

Jacky

look up peer Peer Veet – Apprenticeships Training – Trades Training – Vet In Schools – Building and Construction Industry South Australia.

it would be worth speaking to them plus email the licensing authority in south australia OCBA - Office of Consumer and Business Affairs.

the licensing route in SA was very straightforward. you applied for an ARTC certificate from TRA and then had to pass a course on the wiring regs (as/nzs 3000-2007).

the artc could be applied from in the uk once you had been granted your visa, and you could do the coursework for the regs exam from the uk too (takes a few weeks to complete). the only thing you had to do was arrange to sit the exam in adelaide and the next day you could aply for your license.

since the introduction of vetassess things are becoming a bit more complicated. when i was over there at the beginning of the month (jan 5th) they told one of the other lads that there were changes happening due to the new vetassess qualification (ostr). they said that it was early days but that people with an ostr might have to do a period of supervised work like in QLD before they could sit the exam.

BUT, they said if you had an artc certificate you could still enrol and sit the exam (at the moment at least!).

my advice to anyone who has gone through vetassess, and would like to go down the SA route, would be to contact TRA about applying for an artc certificate, and speak to peer. dont mention vetassess, tell them you have an artc and would like info on the regs course.

if you can get on the course i would definately recommend it. i had done everything to get my full license on the second day of arriving in adelaide. the longest part of the process for me is waiting for the post to arrive with my license!

good luck.

lee.

Guest WarrenG

Thanks guys for the info on the centres for the Vetassess. I would have included the quotes from those people who replied but seem to be having a bit of a web site issue with some page I'm logged in and other pages I'm not?

i.e. thread page 6 logged in, page 7 logged out, page 8 logged in :arghh:

Any way been a bit busy being assessed here again for the annaul rip off to run my business here as a spark. :mad:

Guest lisaandnigel
Hi Lisa and Nigel,

Yeh it is the same stuff as TRA but just send as much as you can. I even sent Photos, they're not asked for but i just thought i 'm only doing this once so i sent anything. Nothing is too much.

Keith

hi keith

thanks for that its hard to know what they want , and like you say we only want to be doing it the once.

lisa

Guest James.S
hi keith

thanks for that its hard to know what they want , and like you say we only want to be doing it the once.

lisa

Hi, one thing to note for the ARTC is the fact that they need proof of 7 years worth of trade experiance unlike the Vetassess that need just 5 years..! You may already know this, but if not hope it helps...!

James...

:jimlad:

Guest lisaandnigel
Hi, one thing to note for the ARTC is the fact that they need proof of 7 years worth of trade experiance unlike the Vetassess that need just 5 years..! You may already know this, but if not hope it helps...!

James...

:jimlad:

hi james now i really confused, let me tell you our situation.

I (lisa) am a hairdresser, and the visa application is in my name, so i have been passed of by the tra. nigel my partner is a quelified electrician but with 4 and half years experience.

ut understand nigel needs to do his artc to be able to apply for a licence when gets to oz.(perth)

. now you saying about 7 years experience has really confused me, help what do we do .

lisa

Guest lisaandnigel
Hi Lisa, if your fella applies on his trade he will need evidence of experience going back 7 years. This evidence has to submitted to Vetassess who are the governing body who assess general electricians.. If they accept his paper evidence (Quals etc) he will then be invited to undertake a practical test to prove his trade hands on at a college! This is quite costly but the only way to get a visa as an electrician..

Hope i helped..

Chris

www.vetassess.com

hi i have already spoke to vetassess and they have said he doestnt need to be assed as he going as a spouse on my visa, thats why i was on the understanding that he can just do his ARTC.

we already the visa application in motion, its not that bit the problem.

lisa