Guest James.S

Guest Ryan, Rachel & Beth

Hi James

Thanks for the reply, right two questions

1 Is there any tests / exams involved with getting your provisional licence??

2 Do I still have to do a vetassess or ARTC???

Sorry for all the questions but our migration agent hasnt mentioned anything about these!!:confused:

Guest andymoores1

Hello All

My my name is andy and i am new to this forum. i was just wondering if anybody could give me some advice for the vetassess. Can anybody tell me what they recommend me to revise for the general electrician test (practical). i have done an apprenticeship in electrical engineering maintenance and have covered most of the basics (i think) ive been a electrician for 4 full year and thats including the apprenticeship, but i am a bit worries about the theory side of things because work is usally a big rush and things don't always get explained very well.

Much appreciated

Andy

Guest James.S
Hi James

Thanks for the reply, right two questions

1 Is there any tests / exams involved with getting your provisional licence??

2 Do I still have to do a vetassess or ARTC???

Sorry for all the questions but our migration agent hasnt mentioned anything about these!!:confused:

Hi, no migration experts don't tend to mention these rather major details... mine told me once i had done the Vetassess i would be able to work, even told me i would not need to do the green / white card to be able to set foot on site....

The answers to your questions are...

1 - No there are no more tests by the licensing issuing people as your skills have already been varified by TRA, ARTC or Vetassess etc...

2 - No, your TRA should be fine... have attached the pdf application form for NSW so what you will need to have to apply should be on that..

Hope that helps... all the best,

James

:jimlad:

Guest James.S
Hi, no migration experts don't tend to mention these rather major details... mine told me once i had done the Vetassess i would be able to work, even told me i would not need to do the green / white card to be able to set foot on site....

1 - No there are no more tests by the licensing issuing people as your skills have already been varified by TRA, ARTC or Vetassess etc...

2 - No, your TRA should be fine... have attached the pdf application form for NSW so what you will need to have to apply should be on that..

James

I have re-attached a form that details the qualification etc as the main application form is too large...!

James

Guest James.S
Hello All

My my name is andy and i am new to this forum. i was just wondering if anybody could give me some advice for the vetassess. Can anybody tell me what they recommend me to revise for the general electrician test (practical). i have done an apprenticeship in electrical engineering maintenance and have covered most of the basics (i think) ive been a electrician for 4 full year and thats including the apprenticeship, but i am a bit worries about the theory side of things because work is usally a big rush and things don't always get explained very well.

Much appreciated

Andy

Hi Andy nice to have you on here..

I have attached a pdf of the candidate quide from Vetassess... that tells you what to expect.. there is quite a lot of info on this thread about it all and other peoples experiances so have a good read.. any question's please feel free to ask..

Good luck & when's your assessment..?

James...

Guest James.S
hey james whats cooking ur end any news on a c/o yet we are still waiting

Hi Welshy...

Nothing's cooking at all... we have moved into a long term rental, my son started school last week and i have just been running around getting bit's for the house and sorting out change of address nonsense and po box's etc etc..

Have looked a bit into what's around workwise but have not contacted anyone yet as like you i'm still waiting for the flippin c/o... so hopefully might get some feedback from the DIAC next week all things being good..

How's it all over there in sunny wales..? still snowing..? it's bloody hot here, mind you the surf's good....

Speak soon..

James...

Guest Mark and Ginny

Hi guys, sorry I've not posted for a while, it looks like you've been busy James ! I just wanted to give an update on the sparky situation in NSW. I did two weeks trial with a small electrical firm and then got offered a permanent position, which is good although the money isn't brill. I started at Newcastle TAFE on Monday and learnt something that will affect sparkies coming to NSW at least. The course that I'm enrolled on runs till September when the Capstone tests take place, which if passed goes towards the A License. I was told by the man in charge that this course will no longer be available and the replacement course will currently take around 3 YEARS of night classes to complete! As you will realise this is another massive hurdle to overcome unless they can ammend the situation. The guy who runs the course is absolutely dissmayed at this but it is out of his hands. I think that anyone coming needs to look into this and that if going to SA to do the short Regs couse and PEER distance Learning if that is possible, is going to be the easier option.

Sorry if this info upsets you, it does seem rather stupid, but the Aussies do like everyone to sit there tests no matter how quallified you are,

Mark

James

Thank you James, you have been very helpful. We have visited Australia twice before and I worked for STOWE in Port back in 2000 when perhaps rules and regulations were a little more flexible.

I shall get in touch with you again once we have settled in Port, as you say we will not be too far away from each other. How old is son by the way? We have a 4 year old daughter.

Many thanks again , Ryan.

I started at Newcastle TAFE on Monday and learnt something that will affect sparkies coming to NSW at least. The course that I'm enrolled on runs till September when the Capstone tests take place, which if passed goes towards the A License. I was told by the man in charge that this course will no longer be available and the replacement course will currently take around 3 YEARS of night classes to complete! Mark

Thank you for your advice on this, although I am a little concerned as we arrive at the end of May so does this mean that I will no longer be able to enroll and will have to attend the replacement 3 year course?

It appears that there is hurdle after hurdle you must be over the moon that you have managed to escape the 3 year course?! All the best, Ryan.

Hi

I would like to know how easy is it to get a work sponsor in Australia if you are an electrician from the UK?

I am looking to moving to Queensland near friends in Caloundra, however, before I even apply for my visa , it would be gret to know if it is at all possible?

Also, are there any websites out there where I can either put my details on for australian employers to look at for work sponsors?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated, as not to sure which way to go next??

Many thanks

ANDY

Hi Andy,

I was a spark in the UK and i have been here in Ozz at Caloundra for 3 years and i can get on your way to Ozz though it is not easy.

First you need to get as many detailed work references from past employers as you can, they need to be very detailed so the best way to go about that is to write them out yourself and get your old employers copy them onto headed paper. You will need these references and all your qualifications to satisfy Trades Recognition Australia that you are a spark, You can apply for a TRA certificate online before you leave the UK, that way you can apply for a QLD Electrical work training permit as soon as you get here.

You will only get a job as a trades assistant until you get a full QLD Electrical Licence, to get this you have to do a 12 week TAFE course at Brisbane TAFE, so if you are working as a TA and doing the TAFE course you will have a full licence in about 6 months.

It may seem a lot of trouble but it is worth it, there is still plenty of work here on the Sunshine Coast, and as a Spark you are respected a lot more than the UK.

Good Luck. Jon

Guest lisaandnigel
Hi Lisa,

We used Crown Relocations, there are very nice people to deal with and give an all inclusive price, we had 700 cuft packed and will be delivered and unpacked to Coffs Harbour for £3400..

We arrived here at the very end of December with plans to move either here to Coffs or to Byron Bay, we spent a week or so in Sydney and then travelled straight to here, we then went up to Noosa (north or Brisbane) to have a look there after stopping off at Byron Bay on the way, and have come back to Coffs to settle..

The license business is a pain, but nothing can happen until you get your visa unfortunately.... so i am just waiting and researching everything until my visa comes through...!

Vetassess notes... let me know what would be of help and i will post it... not sure what i have already put up on here...

All the best

James...

hi james

I have been on to trades reconignigtion australia, an basically they have said that if nigel hasnt got 7 years experience, then he must have 5 years experience and a formally contracted apprentiship. which he hasnt had , he only went to college 2 days a week.

so my question is if there is no other way round this which i cant see it, would he be able to get a job but supervised as a electrician. like a apprentice. and would that experience then count towards his 7 years.

If that makes sense.

Im just getting worried now that he wont be able to get a job.

hope you are enjoying yourself, have you got your visa yet?

Lisa

Guest James.S
Hi guys, sorry I've not posted for a while, it looks like you've been busy James ! I just wanted to give an update on the sparky situation in NSW. I did two weeks trial with a small electrical firm and then got offered a permanent position, which is good although the money isn't brill. I started at Newcastle TAFE on Monday and learnt something that will affect sparkies coming to NSW at least. The course that I'm enrolled on runs till September when the Capstone tests take place, which if passed goes towards the A License. I was told by the man in charge that this course will no longer be available and the replacement course will currently take around 3 YEARS of night classes to complete! As you will realise this is another massive hurdle to overcome unless they can ammend the situation. The guy who runs the course is absolutely dissmayed at this but it is out of his hands. I think that anyone coming needs to look into this and that if going to SA to do the short Regs couse and PEER distance Learning if that is possible, is going to be the easier option.

Sorry if this info upsets you, it does seem rather stupid, but the Aussies do like everyone to sit there tests no matter how quallified you are,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Yes it's been quite busy on here, a guess a lot of people are ramping up for their Vetassess' tests and stuff.... Thanks for the info, although doesn't seem like such good news, I guess PEER are going to get swamped..! I am waiting to here from TAFE about a distance learning course, if not then PEER will win..!

Hope all is good with you..

James...

Guest James.S
hi james

I have been on to trades reconignigtion australia, an basically they have said that if nigel hasnt got 7 years experience, then he must have 5 years experience and a formally contracted apprentiship. which he hasnt had , he only went to college 2 days a week.

so my question is if there is no other way round this which i cant see it, would he be able to get a job but supervised as a electrician. like a apprentice. and would that experience then count towards his 7 years.

If that makes sense.

Im just getting worried now that he wont be able to get a job.

hope you are enjoying yourself, have you got your visa yet?

Lisa

I would have thought that should be fine, but depends upon the company he may be working for.. I do know of other people working for an A license holder without even the provisionall. The amount of years i don't think depicts which country it was in as experiance is experiance..!

He will have to do his green / white card to go on site but that should be all...

Let me know what you decide..

James...

Guest naths28
Hi Nathan,

We looked at settling in Dee Why or Curl Curl but ended up all the way north of you in Coffs Harbour.. a bit quieter and what with our equity loss in the UK cheaper living..!

What experiance do you have in the UK..? if you have and can prove more than 7 years worth and have some kind of apprentiship or what you will need to do once you are here is apply for the provisional, prior to going on qualifications then go down the route of applying for the ARTC, if you have less experiance (5yrs) look at Vetassess...

Once you have either the ARTC or Vetassess you can apply for the provisional license, you still will only be able to work supervised as you are at the moment.

To be able to get a full unrestricted license you will have to go to a TAFE college and do the reg's course, it's about 700 hours part time, like evening school... you will have to prove 12 months worth of on shore work experiance and have it signed off by a full license holder, probably who ever you are currently working for, this all done you can get the full license and will double your income..!

Hope that helps...!

james...

thanks for the info james,,

regards to your questions,i started back in april 2000 for my local council as an electricians mate,then in 2003 (at 26)they put me through college for my electrical apprentiship,i finished that in 2006 with all my qualifications. i stayed with them for a total of 8 years,until i came out to oz last aug 08.

what my point is though,in total i was with them for over 8 years,will this count as my "time served" when applying for my ARTC???? as ive been in the trade for over 7 years!!

im filling out the ARTC form as we speak..i have all the info they ask for in the form from my old employeer,apart from the C&G2360 course info.does anyone know of anywhere i can download this??,and if the ARTC need all of the subject descriptions?

many thanks (again),

nathan:unsure:

Guest James.S
thanks for the info james,,

regards to your questions,i started back in april 2000 for my local council as an electricians mate,then in 2003 (at 26)they put me through college for my electrical apprentiship,i finished that in 2006 with all my qualifications. i stayed with them for a total of 8 years,until i came out to oz last aug 08.

what my point is though,in total i was with them for over 8 years,will this count as my "time served" when applying for my ARTC???? as ive been in the trade for over 7 years!!

im filling out the ARTC form as we speak..i have all the info they ask for in the form from my old employeer,apart from the C&G2360 course info.does anyone know of anywhere i can download this??,and if the ARTC need all of the subject descriptions?

many thanks (again),

nathan:unsure:

Hi Nathan,

I would expect that your 8 years on the tools will be fine, it doesn't specify that your apprentiship had to come first..!

The 2360 info i would guess just chase that with city & guilds, or email a college that still offers it and ask them for a brief description of the course content..! should give you enough info for the application..

All the best, hope you get through it..

James..

Guest lisaandnigel
I would have thought that should be fine, but depends upon the company he may be working for.. I do know of other people working for an A license holder without even the provisionall. The amount of years i don't think depicts which country it was in as experiance is experiance..!

He will have to do his green / white card to go on site but that should be all...

Let me know what you decide..

James...

hi james

sorry so whats a green /white card, and how does he get that?

Lisa

Guest James.S
hi james

sorry so whats a green /white card, and how does he get that?

Lisa

Hello Lisa...

To be able to work on a construction site anywhere in Australia you have to have a health and safety card to show you know what to do in the event of an acident etc... In different states they have different names / colours... however, most states now have a mutual recognition scheme so that is you have the card issued in one state you may be able to use it in another, i have attached a picture that shows a chart so you can see what state's recognise which others.

The names for the cards are:

• Victorian Foundation for Safety Construction Industry Induction Training Agreement (red card)

• New South Wales WorkCover Construction Induction Certificate for the Construction Industry (White Card)

• South Australian (white card)

• Western Australian construction safety awareness training (csat) card.

• Queensland (Blue Card)

You can do the training in most places between an afternoon or a week depending on where you are..

Hope that all makes sense..!

All the best,

James...

hi james,

knoking ur door again!

can i use a neon tester for testing for live?

if there is no proving unit can i use a test lamp(2 bulbs in series)?

if there is no known earth in the vicinity can i use a wire running from earth spike to equipment?

can i draw contol and power ckt seperately for DOL/star Delta?

can u tell me the location of Db, mcb,outlet,lamp in metal cond. wiring? from where i take the earth terminal?should the earth conductor run outside the conduit?

can i expect any Q's abt capacitors/illumination?

regards,

esthapan.

Guest James.S
hi james,

knoking ur door again!

can i use a neon tester for testing for live?

if there is no proving unit can i use a test lamp(2 bulbs in series)?

if there is no known earth in the vicinity can i use a wire running from earth spike to equipment?

can i draw contol and power ckt seperately for DOL/star Delta?

can u tell me the location of Db, mcb,outlet,lamp in metal cond. wiring? from where i take the earth terminal?should the earth conductor run outside the conduit?

can i expect any Q's abt capacitors/illumination?

regards,

esthapan.

Hi Esthapan...

Knock away and i'll do my best..!

can i use a neon tester for testing for live? - Yes, if you like... but make sure you know it's working..!

if there is no proving unit can i use a test lamp(2 bulbs in series)? - Yes, any known source will prove your meter is working... or not..!

if there is no known earth in the vicinity can i use a wire running from earth spike to equipment? - Yes, but make sure the cable is large enough for the potential load..

can i draw contol and power ckt seperately for DOL/star Delta? - Yes, they are seperate circuits..

can u tell me the location of Db, mcb,outlet,lamp in metal cond. wiring? from where i take the earth terminal?should the earth conductor run outside the conduit? - You will get a diagram to work from that tells you all of the lengths of conduit and relative positions so don't worry about location just now. The earth cable however should be run in the conduit... earth connection from the buzz bar inside to board.

can i expect any Q's abt capacitors/illumination? - Yes, expect some about capacitance i think, i don't think i had any about illumination but your test may be different..!

Hope that helps...

All the best,

James...

Guest bigmove2009

This thread is great. My OH is an electrican (16yrs experience). We have been toying with emigrating for 5yrs now and have finally made the decision to go for it!! We are hoping to get an invitiation to an Expo in June and I am hoping to book OH in for the July Vetassess (apparently costs about £1000)...Is this the way forward??? What do we need to do next???

We hope to move to Brisbane/Gold Coast - what are his prospects of getting a job???

It all seems very confusing to me :wacko: lol

Thanks in advance