Guest James.S

Guest sparkyinoz

also, you are allowed to borrow neutrals in different circuits... etc etc... so get the reg's asap to get your head around it if I where you..!........................

So where does it state you can share neutrals with other circuits......... Nearly all new circuits need to be RCD protected and we all know what happens if you share a neutral with another RCD circuit hey...

I think you should check that one

Guest James.S
also, you are allowed to borrow neutrals in different circuits... etc etc... so get the reg's asap to get your head around it if I where you..!........................

So where does it state you can share neutrals with other circuits......... Nearly all new circuits need to be RCD protected and we all know what happens if you share a neutral with another RCD circuit hey...

I think you should check that one

Thanks sparkyinoz, i've checked....

Have a look at the following section then;

AS/NZS 3000:2007 - 2.2.1.2 Common neutral

Each single-phase circuit, and each multiphase circuit that requires a neutral conductor for the operation of connected equipment, shall incorporate a neutral conductor.

A common neutral conductor may be used for two or more circuits subject to the following conditions:

(a) The continuity of the common neutral conductor shall not depend on connections at the terminals of electrical equipment, including control switches.

(b) The circuits shall be controlled and protected by linked circuitbreakers.

© The neutral conductor shall be marked at the switchboard to identify the associated active conductors in accordance with Clause 2.9.5.5.

NOTES:

1 Typical applications for common neutrals include groups of single-phase lights arranged across multiphase supply, and separate components of a single-phase appliance, such as a cooking unit

2 Looping of a common neutral conductor at terminals of equipment supplied from different circuits may cause the load side neutral conductor potential to rise to full line voltage and create a dangerous live situation when disconnected for repair or replacement of the equipment.

3 This Clause does not preclude connection of a common neutral in a junction box.

The current-carrying capacity of a common neutral shall be determined from the current-carrying capacity of the associated active conductors in accordance with Clause 3.5.2.

James...

:jimlad:

Guest sparkyinoz

Ok bud you have proved that one ,,, but honestly when would you think anyone would wire this way...

As I said most circuits are RCD these days ,,, and having to link all your breakers that have common neutrals through the circuit mmmmmmm I guess yes its in the book .............

Guest James.S
Ok bud you have proved that one ,,, but honestly when would you think anyone would wire this way...

As I said most circuits are RCD these days ,,, and having to link all your breakers that have common neutrals through the circuit mmmmmmm I guess yes its in the book .............

It's just asking for trouble linking things like that and no i can't imagine anyone would wire in that way...

I guess it's in there like some of the daft things in the 17th eddition in the UK, that because they have been the normal way of doing things in the past they can't remove them...

All the best..

James...

Guest jen25

Thanks for your help, it's a bit of a bugger, but do think we need the a grade asap, so will look into the ARTC route. Many thanks for your help, Jen x

Guest Mylady's O/H
Shot James - excellent info again,thanks for your time,will pick your brain/Aussie experience from time to time if thats cool!

Shot James? its been ages since Ive heard that saying

Shot man. I always used to say that back in South africa.

Cheers

Hey James - I actually thought you might be from that part of the World by reading your progress update - I'm a Zimbo looking at living in the sunshine again, been in England for 5 years - Rod

Guest James.S

I'm a Londoner born and bred mate.... however, sister-in-law lives in Cape Town so have spent quite a while over there & uncle is from zim, haven't been but would have liked to, until it all went t*t's up..!

James...

Guest Mylady's O/H

Hi guys

For those who have not heard,our trade has been removed from the CSL(CRITICAL SKILLS LIST).

In actual fact all trades have been removed.So our Visa processing time increases by a minimum of at least a year.

You will now all please excuse me as I am trying to drown myself (BEER).

Guest leeob77

just read about the removal of most trades from the CSL.

its a real shame for anyone who has yet to lodge their visa application, but shouldnt affect anyone that has submitted it proir to the change.

to play devils advocate you can see why they might have done it. they are starting to feel the same pinch as we are in the uk and there are lots of tradesmen loosing their jobs. hopefully things will pick up soon.

lee.

Guest James.S
just read about the removal of most trades from the CSL.

its a real shame for anyone who has yet to lodge their visa application, but shouldnt affect anyone that has submitted it proir to the change.

to play devils advocate you can see why they might have done it. they are starting to feel the same pinch as we are in the uk and there are lots of tradesmen loosing their jobs. hopefully things will pick up soon.

lee.

Sorry to have to break it to you Lee but it effects everyone, even if you had a case officer, 175 sparkies are now not being processed.... the MODL now applies only...

James...

Guest Mike&lou

MODL applies but does not mean then...if you look at the website it says only csl being processed modl,not being processed at the moment.

So we will have to wait till they process,and then the chances are they wont be especially not in the current climate?.What happens to all the money everyone has spent?

Guest James.S
MODL applies but does not mean then...if you look at the website it says only csl being processed modl,not being processed at the moment.

So we will have to wait till they process,and then the chances are they wont be especially not in the current climate?.What happens to all the money everyone has spent?

Once all of the 176 app's and the 475's are processed then they will look at the 175's on the CURRENT CSL, after that the MODL will be looked at, but given that most people on the 175 who have just been kicked off are now switching to a 176.... god only knows when this will happen..

Currently they are not processing MODL applicants, so bottom line, any electricians on a 175 will not be processed until further notice, the only options are to switch to a 176, this is possible in all states other than NSW, or try the 475 regional route...

Good luck...

James...

p.s. This situation is in my mind completely unfair, unjust and immoral it disgusts me that the Oz government can act with such disregard to peoples situations.....

:no:

Guest Magnetic6

Hi James,

What a bloody mess and agree with you totally unfair....talk about moving the goalposts!!

I'm sure it's been said time and time again on here, but surely once your visa has been submitted and DIAC have taken your money, the rules/regulations of that day should stand for the remainder of your individual visa process. It's just wrong!

Hope everything works out for you all,

Natalie.

Guest Daz & Claire
Once all of the 176 app's and the 475's are processed then they will look at the 175's on the CURRENT CSL, after that the MODL will be looked at, but given that most people on the 175 who have just been kicked off are now switching to a 176.... god only knows when this will happen..

Currently they are not processing MODL applicants, so bottom line, any electricians on a 175 will not be processed until further notice, the only options are to switch to a 176, this is possible in all states other than NSW, or try the 475 regional route...

Good luck...

James...

p.s. This situation is in my mind completely unfair, unjust and immoral it disgusts me that the Oz government can act with such disregard to peoples situations.....

:no:

Hi Guys,

Just had great news that our visa 175 was granted on friday 13th. unlucky day for some but not us:wink: were over the moon and panicing a little bit, because the visa validation date has been set for the 8th july. We reckon this is because of the cut in the critical list. Our letter says if all 5 of us don't get to OZ before this date our visa will be cancelled. Unfair as they used to give you 8 months, now its mad panic to get everything sorted out.

We didn't realise things had gone so bad until we read the last couple of threads. Fingers crossed it gets sorted out soon.

James, if you have got your case officer then things should be pretty quick, about 1-2 months for us.

Daz & Claire

Guest leeob77
Sorry to have to break it to you Lee but it effects everyone, even if you had a case officer, 175 sparkies are now not being processed.... the MODL now applies only...

James...

yes, unfortunately you are spot on.

very unfair for people who are so close to getting visa.

hopefully things will pick up there and the trades will go back on the list.

we are staying put in uk for a while until the job front picks up.

lee.

Guest Daz & Claire
yes, unfortunately you are spot on.

very unfair for people who are so close to getting visa.

hopefully things will pick up there and the trades will go back on the list.

we are staying put in uk for a while until the job front picks up.

lee.

Hi lee,

I noticed you got your visa how long did they give you to validate it?

What have you heard about the job front in Aus is it bad at the mo? where are you heading off to. We are moving to Redcliff top side of brisbane.

Daz & Claire

Guest leeob77
Hi lee,

I noticed you got your visa how long did they give you to validate it?

What have you heard about the job front in Aus is it bad at the mo? where are you heading off to. We are moving to Redcliff top side of brisbane.

Daz & Claire

you get twelve months from the date of your medical or police check. whichever you did first.

jobs have slowed considerably. an electrician in brisbane was saying he knew of two big contractors that had layed off 120 electricians.

there is probably still work out there same as here. its just going to be harder to find.

think the slow down has prompted the removal of most trades associated with construction etc from the csl.

lee.

Guest James.S
:biggrin:

hi all,

my prac. assessment is successful.thank u James and other sparkies.

Esthapan.

Well done Esthapan that's great.... now the real challenge will begin..!

James...

:jimlad:

Guest Mylady's O/H

Hi Guys

Trying to get some answers from Vetassess.Below are some e-mails between me and vetassess.WAITING FOR REPLY NOW.Have any of you actually got your licence yet? are you in the process?what are you doing?

Hi

Do you have a list of Australian Employers offering jobs to Provisional Electrical licence holders .I have searched for months now and cannot find ONE. Where are these Employers who have committed to Employing Artisans with an OTSR? This is a major problem for migrants and is causing great hardship for families. Please can you ask the Australian Government this question? If there are no Employers employing please let us know!! The system you and the Government have put in place is not working and many families lives and dreams are being ruined upon arrival in Australia as they cannot even start the Gap training or find employment in there line of work. Some TAFE colleges don’t even have any training in place and some don’t even know what we are talking about.

I request that you work with the Government and the training institutes to create a detailed booklet as to what our next steps are after receiving the OTSR. This should include the list of gap training courses, which institutes offer them, how much they cost, list of Employers who support the OTSR, etc.

I am very disappointed how this whole process is being handled. Nothing is uniform and there are no clear cut answers. If you can prove I am wrong about this then please except my apologies, but if you cannot, please help us.

Regards

(ME)

Dear (Me),

Thank you for your email.

VETASSESS’ role in the process is to assess against standards agreed to by the Australian government, state licensing bodies, unions, industry and other interested parties. Our role in the provision of gap training is limited however and best directed to either the licensing body in the state you intend to settle in, or to a TAFE College which can provide the gap training. I will try to answer your questions as best as possible:

• The standards that you are assessed against are all based on the same benchmark. The Offshore Technical Skills Record (OTSR) certifies competence to the same benchmark for all candidates. Having said that, I’m sure some candidates will be better than others and will gain the requisite skills gaps quicker than others. This will be reflected in the gaining of ‘competence’ in the gap training.
  • I cannot comment on comparisons between previous and current arrangements as this is out of our auspice. This is a policy implemented by the government that allows people to gain a provisional licence (unlike the TRA paper based pre-migration application) while they complete gap training to receive a full licence. I am unsure of the difference, if any, in the TRA onshore assessment pathway (which is different from the pre-migration assessment) to a full licence and the VETASSESS OTSR pathway to a full licence.

This is a relatively new process and if you are having particular issues or problems and concerns, such as gaining a licence or gap training, we would like to hear about them. We may not be able to provide a solution however we will collate all feedback received and provide it to the Australian government.

Kind Regards

(vetassess)

To whom it may concern

1)I would like to know if the gap training is the same for allelectricians assessed by Vetassess or does it differ from applicant to applicant depending on their qualifications and assessment results?

2)I would like to know why if you were assessed by TRA you basically only need to do your Australian regs and can apply straight away for an Alicence? But if you were assessed by Vetassess we need to do all this gaptraining first? TRA is all paper based ! Why have they got it easier? Whycannot we apply the same way as TRA? As far as I am concerned I have done much more than any TRA applicant not to mention the payment difference.

I thank you and trust that you will answer all my questions.

Regards

(Me)