Guest James.S

Guest Mike&lou

Daz

Hi what you are gonna have to do is go down the vetasses route, send al your qaulifications away to them, including all references, they wil then invite you to attend an open day at a college where you will have to prove you skills to them, basic electrical install stuff.

Then just apply to one of the approved colleges and they will tell you any futher training you will require.

Hope this helps, if you read back in the post there is alot of info on this subject.

Guest Daz & Claire
Daz

Hi what you are gonna have to do is go down the vetasses route, send al your qaulifications away to them, including all references, they wil then invite you to attend an open day at a college where you will have to prove you skills to them, basic electrical install stuff.

Then just apply to one of the approved colleges and they will tell you any futher training you will require.

Hope this helps, if you read back in the post there is alot of info on this subject.

Hi Mike,

I've already done vetassess & visa was sent last June, Meds requested January Case officer to re-visit visa application end of this month. Fingers crossed everthing in place we should be on our way by July.

getting excited and nervous both at the same time.

Daz:smile:

Can any one who has done the VETASSESS practical help me? I have the test on the 7th of April at blackburn college and im worried about the DOL motor as I have never done this before apart from the AM2 and that was years ago and I can see from this thread that some people have failed on this. Is it just a three phase 3 wire motor or a 6 wire star/delta motor. I want to download a drawing so I can see how to wire it up or does any one have a drawing of the set up you can email me - stewartbeades@hotmail.com

Thanks

Guest Mike&lou
Can any one who has done the VETASSESS practical help me? I have the test on the 7th of April at blackburn college and im worried about the DOL motor as I have never done this before apart from the AM2 and that was years ago and I can see from this thread that some people have failed on this. Is it just a three phase 3 wire motor or a 6 wire star/delta motor. I want to download a drawing so I can see how to wire it up or does any one have a drawing of the set up you can email me - stewartbeades@hotmail.com

Thanks[/quo

hI THERE MATE, LOOK AT SOME OF MY PREVIOUS POSTS YOU MIGHT FIND SOME INFO THERE, ALSO LOOK AT SOME OF JAMES.S EARLIER POSTS I SURE HE ALSO HAS THE INFO

Guest Mylady's O/H
The OSTR (vetassess) is designed to give proof to the immigration people that you have the skills required to apply for a skilled visa, it is not currenty very helpful at getting you a license..

Once you have your visa depending upon the state your in or to speed things up you can then apply for the ARTC, it is similar to the OSTR but you have to prove your experiance for 7 years not 5.

The licensing departments or ARTC people will not care and will not check if you have the OSTR so i don't think having both will be in any way a problem...

Hope that makes sense..!

James...

:jimlad:

Hi

I feel this thread is dying.So will just bump it up.

As to James quote above is there any further news? Has anyone tried it?

Come guys keep the thread alive as its one of the most important threads here!!!!!

We need to show Vetassess a big middle finger.

Guest James.S
Hi

I feel this thread is dying.So will just bump it up.

As to James quote above is there any further news? Has anyone tried it?

Come guys keep the thread alive as its one of the most important threads here!!!!!

We need to show Vetassess a big middle finger.

Don't worry... what seem's to happen is it all goes quite until someone starts to panick about they're Vetassess test and then the Q's start flying in... lol...

Speak soon...

James..

p.s. am still waiting to hear what the answer about licensing...!

Hi gang, been here 6 months now living in Redcliffe, Brisbane, came though on TRA, and applied for ARTC before i left England, which was approved before i left just had to ring with address in Oz when i arrived. Went to Peer in Adelaide for two days in November and sat wiring regs course on day one went back to finish and get results the next day, then went to lodge license before flying back to Brissy. License arrived 3 weeks later, applied to transfer to Queensland license after Christmas which took two months but i now have SA license and Queensland License, next goal Contractors license.

After reading some of the threads at the mo doesn't look so easy for people going down the Vetasses route, but good look to everyone.

Sean Griff

Hi guys

Trying to keep track of this thread so I thought I would post about my hubbys vetassess/otsr/artc experience in WA!

Geoff was one of the first sparkys to go through the vetassess route and when we were still in England, trying to get info on how he would get his licence was a nightmare. Nobody seemed to have a clue what was going on. Once we had the OTSR we were originally told by Energy safety that he would still need to apply for ARTC via TRA. And we were also told that he would have to work for a year supervised before he could get his licence. We then wrote to TRA who told us no you don't have to apply for an ARTC if you are assessed under Vetassess. I then contacted Energy Safety again who told me TRA didn't know what they were talking about and without an ARTC Geoff couldn't apply for a restricted licence! Then shortly before we came out I was looking on energy safety website and the form for the restricted licence had changed to say you had to provide EITHER an ARTC OR OSTR!!! Confused - we were!! As soon as we arrived off we went to Energy Safety with the form filled out and the $37 fee. We were then given a list of colleges that Geoff needed to go to. Turns out he only needed to do the Electrical Trade Licence course to get his A licence and not have 12 months experience.

Geoff was given the choice of a 10 week part time course or a two week intensive course to do. He opted for the two week course and after a stressful two weeks got the nod to say he had passed. So we went back to the Energy Safety with our $325 and they gave him his licence there and then.

So in the end it was a lot more straightforward than what we had anticipated.

Our only problem now is finding a job. A lot of companies seem to be laying people off so it seems things are starting to hit here. Keeping everything crossed that an opportunity comes along soon

hi all,

This thread never dies, but plese don’t starve it to death.post whatever info u havekeep it live.Im back to forum after my vetassess test.my test was on 06th of Mar.’09 at Mumbai,India.the assessor was frm Batman.. TAFE.he was very friendly to all.other than electrician there were assessment for Airconditioning too.sparkies test ran for 2 days.there were more than 12 candidates.only six were allowed at a time.

The tasks were wiring 2X ckt. (he said mainly they look at your wiring),DoL starter assembling, disconnection and re-connection process, written exam(18 questions).

My assessment went on like this..

0800hrs-sign up-intoduction, assessor expained about the task to be compleated.the tasks were..

Installing aTwo way light point and power point on the wooden board, the dis.board was already installed and RCCB, MCB’s were already mounted on it.there were one main MCB of 80Amps, 2 RCCB’s of 40Amp’s each, three 10Amp’s single pole MCB’s and three 20 Amps single pole MCB’s, told us to select the apropriate protctive devices.(20 amps for power 10 Amp’s for lighting.)we were given HDPE pipes as conduit.we had to install according to the dimesions in the drawing.the earth conductor was left disconnected in the incoming DB(delibrately), so we had to connect it.we were given 2 and half hrs to cmplete the task.after completion he checked the power point with a Digital multi Meter.check was with respect to earth and Live.then between the Nutral and earth, then neutral to Live. I did it in 3 hrs. All tools were given including cordless dril cum screw driver.then he asked me to open the cover of the DB to check for the correct colour code of wires and earth termination.all were correct.

My advice is do not forget to connect the earth conductor in the incoming DB.

Then the discon.process.there was a lamp glowing and a 2000 W heater was running.i was told to switch off the heater’s MCB with out opening the DB cover and sans switching off the light.i found several 20Amps MCBs on the DB but i swthed off the right one at firt attempt. Then i ask for a MCB lock off device to lock the MCB.i was the only guy wo asked or a locking device because we dont use such a locking device in India.we lock it by inserting a metalic pin .promptly he brought a mcb locking device and locked it.then i diconnected the heater, checkd for any live in the diconnected conductor with respectd to earth availabale in the DB.then he asked me ho to check it with a DMM.i shown him the continuty and resistance of it by swithing on the equip. Then check the insulatin with megger note the readings if its ok re-connect it and remove the lock, switch on.

The DoL assembly with remote operation func.

Everything was assembled on a board like contactor, push bottons, aux contact..etc only i had to plugin the loops.all points were marked.so it was so easy for me.it took only 3 minutes to assemble.some guys struggled for hours to complete( not boasting).as im an idustrial sparkie it was easy for me.it was an 24 volts ac ckt.contactor was of 24 volts. So was the 3 phase induction motor.

The Written exam.

There were 18 questions i could anwer all the 18 correctly.i remember a few as follows..

A 10 ohm and a 5 ohm resistors con. In parllell and given 9 volts what’ll be th current.

If th two inductors of 0.2379 XL and 0.2592 XL is in series what’ll be the effective XL?

If voltage doubles in a resistive ckt what happens to Power?

If the voltage reduced to half in a resistive ckt what happens to Power?

Three 32kw 230 vots heaters are connected in star and given 400 three phase volts wat’ll be the power?

A question about Impedence

transformation ratio-primary voltage 60, sec.voltage 20, primary turns 120 whats the sec. turns?

If power factor reduces what happens to current ........etc.

Im thankfull to James and other sparkies for their enlighting posts about vetassess.

I signed off at 1400 hrs.though wiring was little time taking for me ,i was the first guy to complete the assessment as i could save a lot of time in assembly of starter.

At last i asked the assessor about the’ A’ lisencing and duration of TAFE course.he said i need to complete a 10 Night course to sit in licensing exam.when i pointed out about 4 years full time course, he said its not correct.i dont know how far its correct.

I hope that the outcome ‘ll be positive.it take 10 days to come.

ESTHAPAN.

Guest James.S
hi all,

This thread never dies, but plese don’t starve it to death.post whatever info. U have.keep it live.Im back to forum after my vetassess test.my test was on 06th of Mar.’09 at Mumbai,India.the assessor was frm Batman.. TAFE.assessor was very friendly to all.other than electrician there were assessment for Airconditioning too.sparkies test ran for 2 days.there were more than 12 candidates.only six were allowed at a time.

The tasks were wiring 2X ckt.,DOL starter assembling, disconnecton and re-connection process, written exam(18 questions).

My assessment went on like this..

0800hrs-sign up-intoduction, assessor expained about the task to be compleated.the tasks were..

Installing aTwo way light point and power point on the wooden board, the dis.board was already installed and RCCB, MCB’s were already mounted on it.there were one main MCB of 80Amps, 2 RCCB’s of 40Amp’s each, three 20Amp’s single pole MCB’s and three 20 Amps single pole MCB’s, told us to select the apropriate protctive devices.(20 amps for power 10 Amp’s for lighting.)we were given HDPE pipes as conduit.we had to install according to the dimesions in the drawing.the earth conductor was left disconnected in the incoming DB(delibrately), so we had to connect it.we were given 21/2 hrs to cmplete the task.after completion he checked the power point with a Digital multi Meter.check was with respect to earth and Live.then between the Nutral and earth, then neutral to Live. I did it in 3 hrs. All tools were given including cordless dril cum screw driver.then he asked me to open the cover of the DB to check for the correct colour code of wires and earth termination.all were correct.

My advice is do not forget to connect the earth conductor in the incoming DB.

Then the discon.process.there was a lamp glowing and a 2000 W heater was running.i was told to switch off the heater’s MCB with out opening the DB cover and sans switching off the light.i found several 20Amps MCBs on the DB but i swthed off the right one at firt attempt. Then i ask for a MCB lock off device to lock the McB.i was the only guy wo asked or a loking device because we dont use such a locking device in India.we lock it by inserting a metalic pin .promptly he brought a mcb locking device and locked it.then i diconnected the heater, checkd for any live in the diconnected conductor with respectd to earth availabale in the DB.then he asked me ho to check it with multimer.i shown him the continuty and resistance of it by swithing on the equip. Then check the insulatin with megger note the readings if its ok re-connect it and remove the lock, switch on.

The DOL assembly with remote operation func.

Everything was assembled on a board like contactor, push bottons, aux contact..etc only i had to plug in the loops.all points were marked.so it was so easy for me.it took only 3 minutes to assemble.some guys took hours to complete.as im a idustrial sparkie it was easy for me.it was an 24 volts ac ckt.contactor was of 24 volts. So was the 3 phase induction motor.

The Written exam.

There were 18 questions i could anwer all the 18 correctly.i remember a few as follows..

A 10 ohm and a 5 ohm resistors con. In parllell and given 9 volts what’ll be th current.

If th two conductors of 0.2379 XL and 0.2592 XL is in series what’ll be the total XL?

If voltage doubles what happens to Power?

If the voltage reduced to half what happens to Power?

Three 32kw 230 vots heaters are connected in star and given 400 three phase volts wat’ll be the power?

A question about Impedence

If power factor reduces what happens to current ........etc.

Im thankfull to James and other sparkies for their enlighting posts about vetassess.

I signed off at 1400 hrs.though wiring was little time taking for me ,i was the first guy to complete the assessment as i could save a lot of time in assembly of starter.

At last i asked the assessor about the’ A’ lisencing and duration of TAFE course.he said i need to complete a 10 Night course to sit in licensing exam.when i pointed out about 4 years full time course, he said there is no such course.i dont know how far its correct.

I hope that the outcome ‘ll be positive.it take 10 days to come.

ESTHAPAN.

Great post Esthapan, brilliant info.... good luck, but to be honest it sounds to me like you've already passed..!

James..

Hi gang, been here 6 months now living in Redcliffe, Brisbane, came though on TRA, and applied for ARTC before i left England, which was approved before i left just had to ring with address in Oz when i arrived. Went to Peer in Adelaide for two days in November and sat wiring regs course on day one went back to finish and get results the next day, then went to lodge license before flying back to Brissy. License arrived 3 weeks later, applied to transfer to Queensland license after Christmas which took two months but i now have SA license and Queensland License, next goal Contractors license.

After reading some of the threads at the mo doesn't look so easy for people going down the Vetasses route, but good look to everyone.

Sean Griff

Long live the sparky's thread! Thought I could just rock up in Oz with my papers and jib card and away you go . Hell NO! Great info on this thread. Opened my eyes very widely. I'm in the same position as geegriff, in that I can go thru the TRA as we're applying on my wife's nursing skills. My question is how much info do these want. I know it has to be very detailed but I've done lots of short term contracts and contacting every one is going to be a pain. I can prove my apprenticeship and about 9 years experience relatively painlessly. Will this be enough, or would I still be asked to do a trade test. Any info greatly appreciated. Not having to go down vetassess route is one big mercy at least! Good luck to you guys.

Guest Mylady's O/H
hi all

should i apply for my arct ? i passed with the tra a while ago did not need to do vetassess as applied before the change over

is the arct only valid for a certain amount of time ?

we are getting a bit of interest in our house at the moment so might need to get my back side in order!!!!!

Hi

TRA’s assessments do not have an expiry date and you should keep your successful assessment letter in a safe place to be used with your migration application.

You can confirm this on the link below.

http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplace/Pages/ContentPage.aspx?NRMODE=Published&NRORIGINALURL=/workplace/Programmes/TRA/UniformAssessmentCriteriaUAC.htm&NRNODEGUID={727BE1A9-A6CC-4D93-81D6-4E76A87AD281**&NRCACHEHINT=Guest#15

Goodluck

Guest James.S
it is the arct cert i need to know if that has an expiry date i already have my visa just waiting for the house to sell

Once you have the ARTC you could then enrol to do the distance study course from PEER before you leave the uk... go there and do the last bit once you've landed and get all licensed up very very quickly....

Just a thought...

James...

Hello folks,

Just thought I'd drop a line to announce my disappointment at not passing my TRA assessment for Electrician Special Class. I decided to try this route first as it was cheaper and the job description seemed to fit my current job better.

My application was rejected on the grounds that I have no evidence of experience in industrial electronics or pneumatic and hydraulic control systems.

Onwards we go anyway, it's VETASSESS next and to be honest I have had some of the wind knocked out of my sails but I am determined to get it completed.

One question.......do you have to fill in all the details of the tasks you have carried out on the SR2.6 form? Can I write a brief description and refer to an entry from my log book as evidence which would then explain in more detail?

Tata for now (I'm on shift in 6 hours so better get some sleep, not likely with the waves bobbing us up and down though!!)

Mark

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------No agent used, TRA assessment sent away 10/02/09, TRA unsuccessful (bummer!) 22/02/09, starting on the VETASSESS process 10/03/09

Guest welshspark

so there are still no answers to this long debate over the vetassess so the most fesible route is going to be the ARTC even though we have all ready spent a sh*t load of money on this impossible mission of getting to oz and getting a job

Thanks to all, particularly James for all the info you have put on this site - actually by reading your post on the Vetassess practical, it helped me successfully prepare & pass my test - a few questions if I may please - would you recommend purchasing a copy of the AUS/NZ wiring regs whilst still in England to study,what is ARTC please,I plan to move to Queensland ( a lot of my Zim mates there) can you direct me on what I'll need for that particular area possibly please? - cheers Rod

Guest jen25

Just got our visa, got the OTR from Vetasses. We are heading to either SA or VIC. We need a A grade. We knew we would have to sit exams when we get out there, but i thought the OTR replaced the ARTC? didn't think we needed both until i read this thread!

Do we need the ARTC as well?

i have had a email from the SA saying that there are no distance learning courses available. What is PEER, can we do that with the OTR? Cheers:err:

Guest James.S
so there are still no answers to this long debate over the vetassess so the most fesible route is going to be the ARTC even though we have all ready spent a sh*t load of money on this impossible mission of getting to oz and getting a job

Don't worry welshy it's not impossible, 1stly the visa is on it's way... by the end of May we will all have case officers which is a good thing, less than 2 months, on the old system it could have been longer...

2ndly the work side of things, it's a bit of c..k up right now but I think the powers that be are on the case, you can get a provisional license on the vetassess, and then there will be a college (not TAFE) that will be able to help you to get the A grade, but currently the time scale is quite long, however yes ARTC will be quicker, or if you wanted to there is still the PEER college that some guys have got their's in less than a month... so it's not straight sailing but there are still options depending upon what you want...

Bottom line is though.... however you get here, the weather is a damn site better than in Wales..!

James...

Guest James.S
Just got our visa, got the OTR from Vetasses. We are heading to either SA or VIC. We need a A grade. We knew we would have to sit exams when we get out there, but i thought the OTR replaced the ARTC? didn't think we needed both until i read this thread!

Do we need the ARTC as well?

i have had a email from the SA saying that there are no distance learning courses available. What is PEER, can we do that with the OTR? Cheers:err:

Your quite right to be confused...

The OSTR from Vetassess was supposed to be the assessment route for the visa, as well as licensing, the ARTC is designed for people currently living in Oz... however, somewhere along the line this integration of the two paths has gone wrong and now a lot of colleges are not accepting the OSTR, or the courses that did, have been scrapped...

So, given that you are heading to SA or WA, the quickest way to get your A grade is to apply for the ARTC, now that you have visa it should be straight forward, it's pretty much the same info as vetassess.. then enrol with PEER, they are a private college in SA, they can offer you a distance learning course, all you will need to do is attend to sit a final exam and then all passed you can get a full license, the whole process can be less than a month, ok so it may cost a bit more, but you will have a higher paid job quicker so it will even out in the long run...!

Hope that helps to clear things.... slightly...!

Any other Q's please feel free to ask.. all the best,

James...

Guest James.S
Thanks to all, particularly James for all the info you have put on this site - actually by reading your post on the Vetassess practical, it helped me successfully prepare & pass my test - a few questions if I may please - would you recommend purchasing a copy of the AUS/NZ wiring regs whilst still in England to study,what is ARTC please,I plan to move to Queensland ( a lot of my Zim mates there) can you direct me on what I'll need for that particular area possibly please? - cheers Rod

Hi Rod, glad the info on here has helped you out... makes it seem more worthwhile..!

I bought (downloaded) a copy of the wiring reg's before i even did the Vetassess..! It will help you, it's quite interesting comparing things from a UK perspective, for instance... they only supply phase and neutral to homes, no earth, on the dis board they bridge to the earth buzz bar, it's called a MEN system, (multi earthed neutral)... also, you are allowed to borrow neutrals in different circuits... etc etc... so get the reg's asap to get your head around it if I where you..!

ARTC.... well maybe have a look at the last few post's... if that doesn't answer it for you then let us know and i will explain what is involved in trying to get your license..!

James...